• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jyrii

Banned
Hah, forgot (this keeps happening to me) to bring advance to the boss rush. Also Gilgamesh had a staff :D

Still I only had to S/L only once.

Why are you guys doing the bonus battles during the best orb phase?! I'm waiting for phase 2 myself

Same reason I'm doing classic dungeons right now

Variety, want to get more interesting stuff done now before I do something else where I'll auto grind to victory, don't want to forget and rush last minute

Entropia

No One Remembers
I've only ever done bonus battles once, and that was the 2nd FFIV event. :| I usually just get the Record Materias and do as much of the other dungeons as I can then stop.

Also I'm apparently like 50+ Classic dungeons behind current content.

Why are you guys doing the bonus battles during the best orb phase?! I'm waiting for phase 2 myself

I enjoy this game and refuse to grind it. Fighting the same beasties over and over until Jan 1 sounds like the most horrendous thing ever.
You don't need to grind, if you hit a wall just wait and you will get strong enough to get through a bit later.

Falk

that puzzling face
I enjoy this game and refuse to grind it. Fighting the same beasties over and over until Jan 1 sounds like the most horrendous thing ever.

Yeah seriously who the heck would want to do this.

I let stam overflow once by mistake for approx 80min earlier today oops

nacarelli

Neo Member
I'm doing DU 16 right now. I'm good with my hones and, honestly, got a little burned out in last Orbfest. Plus, I really need mythril for phase 1 and 2 of Soul Breakfast. Just 3 more elites and back to Orbfest.

Oh, and just an advice: trash in FF IX hits really hard. A Firaga from a grenade took like 4k from Zidane (lv 65, RS and all).

MrDaravon

I had a + run this morning where 8 of the 9 rounds were cactaurs, including two Jumbos. Got 4 Greater Orbs out of it. Not sure whether or not I should be salty that I didn't get any Major Orbs or not lol. Still only at one Major from drops, but I'm not going to complain about getting a ton of Greater Orbs at the point Im at in the game.

What are the details on orb conversion, is it like 10:1 or something? Is it going to be at all practical to convert Greaters to Majors?

I had a + run this morning where 8 of the 9 rounds were cactaurs, including two Jumbos. Got 4 Greater Orbs out of it. Not sure whether or not I should be salty that I didn't get any Major Orbs or not lol. Still only at one Major from drops, but I'm not going to complain about getting a ton of Greater Orbs at the point Im at in the game.

What are the details on orb conversion, is it like 10:1 or something? Is it going to be at all practical to convert Greaters to Majors?

10:1 and 1:10 for upgrading/downgrading, specifically. It'll also cost a chunk of change.

I've only ever done bonus battles once, and that was the 2nd FFIV event. :| I usually just get the Record Materias and do as much of the other dungeons as I can then stop.

Also I'm apparently like 50+ Classic dungeons behind current content.

I generally haven't been doing the third bonus battle, the first one has been worth doing for the free abilities, the second one I do if it has a unique reward, the third one is always poo.

yasu151

I generally haven't been doing the third bonus battle, the first one has been worth doing for the free abilities, the second one I do if it has a unique reward, the third one is always poo.

Likewise. Not that I wouldn't like to get the rewards for the 3rd dungeon, but still too difficult for me. Maybe after this orbfest, I'll be strong enough.

I haven't taken on Shadow's 3rd challenge battle cause it seems rather complicated. Is advance/retaliate safe (I have the rune blade which should let me do 9999)

Apologies for the following blog post. Just had some random thoughts I felt like throwing out into the ether.

I've got enough for 4 x11 pulls already and briefly looked into if it would be possible to get enough for a 5th, but I'm considering just skipping the 3rd banner instead of wasting time on farming the dungeon update and Faris event for mythril while Orbnfest is ongoing. I suppose I could farm that extra mythril to pull twice on one of the better RoR banners, but there's a Rikku event coming up after the holiday madness and both of her relics look pretty good - the shield especially, for use with all physical parties. Then there's an FFIV banner right after that one and I'm a sucker for that game.

I don't think I'll be doing a bunch of refreshes this time around. The orb payout looks better than last time but my 4* abilities are in pretty good shape at this point and orb conversion is not too far off. I'm sure it's still likely a better investment than gambling on relics, but I want to at least make an attempt at nabbing myself a SSB relic. I might do a couple of refreshes on phase 3 or 4 since summon and power orbs are always in demand, but definitely won't be going crazy like the last time. If we can stay in the dungeon past the end time like previously then I'll definitely be doing that at least because who cares about phase 5?

Still debating on which beginner relic to take. At this point it's primarily between Tyrfing (of course) and Stormlance Grimoire. I could use the FFIII synergy and I like the idea of eventually bringing Luneth along everywhere to spam Advance + Barrage. On the other hand there's definitely a part of me that wants the Stormlance Grimoire for the rarity/exclusivity factor, but on a more practical note the SB does 4 hits of physical lightning damage with rather high potency to help make up for Tyro's low stats. With a good synergy weapon and some ATK boosts he'd be able to do some pretty respectable damage with it and it would be a good excuse to bring him along to make use of some fun gimmicks. If I happen to get Tyro's SSB that boosts his ATK +10 I'll probably grab it, otherwise I'll hold off on deciding for a while and see how well I can craft and hone barrage.

MicH

The second Faris & Krile banner is pretty good. Lenna's Sage's Staff is identical to Yuna's Hymn of the Fayth. Lenna will be the first white mage to hit level 80 for quite a while + she has the highest MND in the game. Bartz' new Sword relic is good too. 5 random hits + 30% attack self-buff. If I were to pull on one of the two banners I'd probably pick that one - especially you don't have an AoE heal SB.

I think my plan is to do one 11-pull on the on the first RoR banner (with the Cardinal) and one 11-pull on the last RoR banner (Squall + Paladin Cecil SSBs). Then save up mythril for an 11-pull on the Lightning SSB banner. If I can get just one SSB relic out of those pull I'll be happy.

Negator

I have a pretty similar plan of attack. Want to do 1 50 pull on banner 1, 5, both FFV banners, and Lightning SSB banner. By the time Lightning comes out I should have enough for an 11.

Yup! I did it with Advance/Retaliate, but it took a lot of S/L to get M-Breakdown and Shellga in place.

Yeah just beat it, was pretty simple didn't even need to s/l. Hindsight I should have honed up fira strike to max as those extra 4 9999s would have ended the fight a lot quicker. I also probably should have given one of Aerith/Y'Sholta boost instead of haste just do have my retaliates do a bit more damage. I'm lucky in that I have two aoe heal soul breaks so I give my non healer/mitigation mage mako might so that I'm fully healed from whatever pre mitigation damage I take.

JP: pulled on kujas banner and landed his ssb rod and amarants new fist. My ix synergy is off the charts now in JP land. Zidanes first sword freyas spear garnets second rod which is white heavy two mage hats that I haven't combined and a light armor.

Tons of free mythril due to the dailies refreshing and figured what the hell needed a bmage ssb.

elty

So it looks like banner #3 is the only chance I will get a hastega before banner 85 which is about 2 months later? (we re on banner 72)

yasu151

Woohoo!. Gigantar Cactus + a new Record Materia. A good day indeed.

screenshot_2015-12-18rhspv.png

Road

So it looks like banner #3 is the only chance I will get a hastega before banner 85 which is about 2 months later? (we re on banner 72)

It seems so, unless they introduce a new banner that Japan didn't have. They skipped the FF3 banner that had Ingus' Lunatic High and removed Sazh's Boon from the Super Soul Breakfast, so our next two chances at Hastega are Eiko now and Eiko on banner 85. =|

elty

Banner 85: Eiko - Restores HP (factor 50) and grants Haste to all allies
Banner 90: Kefka - Grants Haste and MAG+20% (25 sec) to all allies
Banner 92: Lenna - Grants Haste and ATK+30% (25 sec) to all allies
Banner 107: Quistis - Grants Haste, Shell and High Regen to all allies
Banner 109: Garnet - Grants Haste, High Regen and RES+50% (25 sec) to all allies
Banner 112: Ramza - Grants Haste and ATK+50% (25 sec) to all allies
Banner 118: Zack - Deals 4 group physical attacks (1.5x each, 6.0x total), grants Haste to all allies
Banner 128: Ingus - Grants Haste and Protect to all allies

Looks like I will do a 10 pull on banner 3, then save for the next soul breakfast and then for Ramza

MrDaravon

So any suggestions on what SSB Banners I should pull on if I'm only going to have enough for 4 pulls (just barely)? I can't find the reddit post with all of the banner breakdowns again for some reason, but the only relics I have from any of the banners were the Lullaby Rod and Rune Axe which were both Banner 4 IIRC. Banner 2 I think had the Cloud sword which seems like a no brainer since I use Cloud and have him at 65 right now, but not sure what else I should pull on.

elty

So any suggestions on what SSB Banners I should pull on if I'm only going to have enough for 4 pulls (just barely)? I can't find the reddit post with all of the banner breakdowns again for some reason, but the only relics I have from any of the banners were the Lullaby Rod and Rune Axe which were both Banner 4 IIRC. Banner 2 I think had the Cloud sword which seems like a no brainer since I use Cloud and have him at 65 right now, but not sure what else I should pull on.

Since you have 2 magic weapon I think banner 2 is better, but if you only have 20 mythrils then maybe investing them in orbs are better. SSB relic will become more and more common so missing the current breakfast is not the end of the world.

Xetherion

You should definitely pull on banner 2, not only for Organics but also for Sentinel Grimoire, which gives Tyro a soul break that gives the party +200% DEF and RES which stacks with Protect and Shell. This is commonly called a Wall type SB, one of the most important in the game. If you get this to go along with the AOE heal you have with Lullaby Rod, most content should become easy mode for you.

Other banners you should pull on depend on two things: what characters do you have, and what realms do you need synergy for?

Before the update it was possible to see what the next Record Materia a character could obtain on the record materia equip screen. Doesn't show it any more. Is there still a screen that shows this?

Need to see if seph can obtain another materia through battle after his cap is broken to 80.

(Found it in case anyone else wanted to know)
It's in party - outfitting - bottom right corner record materia equip page has record materia list - you can see a giant list of them all there and sort it by unobtained)

MicH

I personally prefer Thyrus over Sentinel's Grimoire. Y'shtola is a much better character in my opinion and you're always gonna bring a white mage anyway. I have never used Tyro

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Before the update it was possible to see what the next Record Materia a character could obtain on the record materia equip screen. Doesn't show it any more. Is there still a screen that shows this?

Need to see if seph can obtain another materia through battle after his cap is broken to 80.

(Found it in case anyone else wanted to know)
It's in party - outfitting - bottom right corner record materia equip page has record materia list - you can see a giant list of them all there and sort it by unobtained)

Yeah, it moved to that list now. I kind of wish they had both.

I personally prefer Thyrus over Sentinel's Grimoire. Y'shtola is a much better character in my opinion and you're always gonna bring a white mage anyway. I have never used Tyro
It's a bit of a push though, assuming you need a white mage for a group heal SB as well. The other thing is that you can put Mako Might on Tyro and then still have Concentration II on your mage for the boss rushes.

Y'shtola + Thyrus + Healers Robe + Mako Might + Wrath = my record keeper MVP for probably the rest of the game. I spent everything I could on that ffxiv pull and got extremely lucky.

Road

Y'shtola + Thyrus + Healers Robe + Mako Might + Wrath = my record keeper MVP for probably the rest of the game. I spent everything I could on that ffxiv pull and got extremely lucky.

You likely won't have enough soul break bars to alternate SSII and MedicaII in the same battle. It's better to have Wall and AoE heal on separate characters. As a WHM, the only thing Tyro does worse than Y'shtola is Diaga/Holy -- the difference in healing is not important. As a support, he's better, period.

The problem with fitting Tyro in your party only appears if you also have a support with Hastega (only Sazh and Red XIII) and a white mage with AoE heal. This means to have the holy trinity Tyro will have to replace a damage dealer and that's when his weak status really show. The easiest solution to that is to just leave Hastega or SG or AoE Heal to the RW while the other two remain in your party without sacrificing damage.

If I could choose, I would choose SG. But I'll accept either as happy as the Nintendo 64 kid.

Anyway, orb dungeon, I've gotten 2 Major
Dark
Orb so far. The exp is so trash, though: The level 1 chars I've started with are still 30 something...

You likely won't have enough soul break bars to alternate SSII and MedicaII in the same battle. It's better to have Wall and AoE heal on separate characters. As a WHM, the only thing Tyro does worse than Y'shtola is Diaga/Holy -- the difference in healing is not important. As a support, he's better, period

So far in every battle +++ or otherwise I have been able to keep up the soul break bars with her to utilize both the group heal and 200% damage reduction. She's trivialized the game for me to be honest. I can take in Advance on a retaliate Cloud in every situation to add more fuel to this game breaking fire. Hence why I think she'll always be my MVP until the servers die.

MrDaravon

I don't even have Y'shtola lol

Right now my high level "main" party is Cloud (65), Gilgamesh (55), Wakka (55), Lenna (63) and Vivi (59). Cloud is there because he's Cloud, and Gilgamesh and Lenna were recommended to me as a newer player since Gilgamesh can equip virtually everything and Lenna had the best White Mage SB available to me right now (Mass Regen). I have Tyro somewhere in the 50s but I swapped in Wakka over him since he's filling the same role with better stats and I don't have anything special for Tyro SB-wise. Vivi is a solid pick, I'd personally rather go with Terra since she's my bae but I don't have her MC so she's stuck at 50 right now for me (along with Rydia). I have a handful of other characters at 50 but I either don't have their MC's, or I don't have any special stuff for them; I don't have that many 5* relics, and most of what I have is armor so I don't have a ton of unique SBs.

Road

So far in every battle +++ or otherwise I have been able to keep up the soul break bars with her to utilize both the group heal and 200% damage reduction. She's trivialized the game for me to be honest. I can take in Advance on a retaliate Cloud in every situation to add more fuel to this game breaking fire. Hence why I think she'll always be my MVP until the servers die.

Well, mathematically, it's possible (if Y'shtola is under Haste getting hit a lot), but you'll be more limited regarding when you can use your AoE heal compared to having another char, which is why I said it's better to have them separate and why I would choose SG for Tyro and AoE heal for anyone else.

I don't even have Y'shtola lol

Right now my high level "main" party is Cloud (65), Gilgamesh (55), Wakka (55), Lenna (63) and Vivi (59). Cloud is there because he's Cloud, and Gilgamesh and Lenna were recommended to me as a newer player since Gilgamesh can equip virtually everything and Lenna had the best White Mage SB available to me right now (Mass Regen). I have Tyro somewhere in the 50s but I swapped in Wakka over him since he's filling the same role with better stats and I don't have anything special for Tyro SB-wise. Vivi is a solid pick, I'd personally rather go with Terra since she's my bae but I don't have her MC so she's stuck at 50 right now for me (along with Rydia). I have a handful of other characters at 50 but I either don't have their MC's, or I don't have any special stuff for them; I don't have that many 5* relics, and most of what I have is armor so I don't have a ton of unique SBs.

Well, then, for you, banner 2 for Sentinel Grimoire, since you'd be able to use it right now. Y'shtola will only be available again in three (maybe less) months when they introduce the character "buying" system.

Oh snap I have enough majors to make Bahamut and Meteor :O

Does either fall into the don't wait make now category? More inclined to make Meteor as I'm already noticing Ruinga is tailing off even in the classic dungeons if not put on a mage with rs weapon.

nacarelli

Neo Member
Oh snap I have enough majors to make Bahamut and Meteor :O

Does either fall into the don't wait make now category? More inclined to make Meteor as I'm already noticing Ruinga is tailing off even in the classic dungeons if not put on a mage with rs weapon.

I have the orbs, but I don't want to craft Bahamut now because I can clear content just fine without it. Anyway, after the recent buff in summon JP got, it looks like it's the go-to 5* summon.

About Meteor, I cannot recommend it enough. I have it at R2 and think it's a really nice QoL upgrade over Ruinga or even Quake. Granted, I could equip a Devotion materia and Ruinga could do similar damage, but I like Mana Spring II, so...

When I'm lazy (all the time) I equip both Meteor and Ruinga and faceroll trash.

I have the orbs, but I don't want to craft Bahamut now because I can clear content just fine without it. Anyway, after the recent buff in summon JP got, it looks like it's the go-to 5* summon.

About Meteor, I cannot recommend it enough. I have it at R2 and think it's a really nice QoL upgrade over Ruinga or even Quake. Granted, I could equip a Devotion materia and Ruinga could do similar damage, but I like Mana Spring II, so...

I guess the better question for you guys who know upcoming content inside and out is, will there be a better use for these majors that its worth saving them for?

Falk

that puzzling face
I think the core trinity of Full Break-Valefor-Meteor hasn't really changed, despite Mug Time being in the game. Anything else isn't really justifiable till you get r2 of those first 3.

Keeping in mind that the Summon balance changes are a couple months off (honestly I don't think it'd kick in till Chamber of the Abyss/Ultima, but weirder things have happened):

I think objectively, Bahamut post-changes is a better spell, as there is something to say about Bahamut's potential for faster burst, but also keep in mind that it's significantly harder to 9999 on a 7.5 multiplier than it is a 9 multiplier (and if you use Devotion you aren't using Bahamut for trash) so the damage throughput isn't necessarily 1:1 at twice the speed.

Fussing about it now isn't worth it though. Meteor is infinitely more useful than Bahamut at our point in the game/features timeline, and by the time those changes roll around, everything from a few months more orbs, higher daily tier and orb combination will make 5*s a little less tedious to grind out.

We'll then be worrying about 6* crystals :|

MicH

Well, mathematically, it's possible (if Y'shtola is under Haste getting hit a lot), but you'll be more limited regarding when you can use your AoE heal compared to having another char, which is why I said it's better to have them separate and why I would choose SG for Tyro and AoE heal for anyone else.

Well, then, for you, banner 2 for Sentinel Grimoire, since you'd be able to use it right now. Y'shtola will only be available again in three (maybe less) months when they introduce the character "buying" system.
Y'shtola can be chosen/bought with the crystals they're giving out during RoR so that's not really an issue

I think the core trinity of Full Break-Valefor-Meteor hasn't really changed, despite Mug Time being in the game. Anything else isn't really justifiable till you get r2 of those first 3.

Keeping in mind that the Summon balance changes are a couple months off (honestly I don't think it'd kick in till Chamber of the Abyss/Ultima, but weirder things have happened):

I think objectively, Bahamut post-changes is a better spell, as there is something to say about Bahamut's potential for faster burst, but also keep in mind that it's significantly harder to 9999 on a 7.5 multiplier than it is a 9 multiplier (and if you use Devotion you aren't using Bahamut for trash) so the damage throughput isn't necessarily 1:1 at twice the speed.

Fussing about it now isn't worth it though. Meteor is infinitely more useful than Bahamut at our point in the game/features timeline, and by the time those changes roll around, everything from a few months more orbs, higher daily tier and orb combination will make 5*s a little less tedious to grind out.

We'll then be worrying about 6* crystals :|

So make Meteor now to replace ruinga on my mana spring 2 user for the harder classic/elite trash and ruinga can either be given to someone else for daily grinding or as a better comet when multiple bosses have elemental resistance.

Falk

that puzzling face
Yeah, that pretty much sums it up. There's an old post I made about mage meta where you want your dudes to have 8 uses going into a boss through to ~120 difficulty core dungeons, so if you have a r3 -ja spell to go alongside r1 Meteor and you SHOULD be set. (More is of course better, and also considering most dungeons have trash before boss on the last stage)

When are the quests due to hit again for Sephiroth/Reno? Kinda wanna get these bonus battles done.

I've had Meteor for about a week at R1. Its not really a replacement for other AOE just yet due to limited uses but seems infinitely more useful than Bahamut atm. I can't wait to use the Dragon King to Mega Flare stuff into nothing, but it just doesn't seem viable right now.

I'll probably craft Holy tomorrow - again due to uses not really a replacement for Diaga but i want to try clear that quest log one day (though crafting Flare/Barrage rather than honing Meteo/Full Break seems silly atm)!

My main character is 50, Sephiroth who I just got I boosted to 40 with eggs and my other 3 randoms are level 30.. So far I'm using a full dps team cause the white mage kept getting 1 shot... I really want Aeris...cause its Aeris :D How do I unlock her? google hates me.

Spocker

My main character is 50, Sephiroth who I just got I boosted to 40 with eggs and my other 3 randoms are level 30.. So far I'm using a full dps team cause the white mage kept getting 1 shot... I really want Aeris...cause its Aeris :D How do I unlock her? google hates me.

When vale of memories start in a few days you can get heroes souls (4 of them) by finishing level 20 missions. Those you can trade for whichever character you want of the released ones.

Falk

that puzzling face
Still remember early FFRK

"god damnit white mage still keeps dying, don't want to use Tyro"

Then whoever rolled a Regal Gown became Cool Kids Club because white mage stopped getting 1shotted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom