• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrDaravon

For some reason I thought the Behemoth fight in vom was against two behemoth so I loaded up all this aoe shit, forgot to bring blind, and completely wasted my time :X

Yeah that's what I thought as well, the in-game Boss description makes it sound like there are going to be multiple ones. I still managed to just goddamn barely do it on my first try anyway, but yeah.

3L8mNCn.jpg
I guess my luck had to turn eventually.

My luck died 10 3* 2 4* with 50 + 100 gems. At least I pulled a 4* FFX blade which maybe maxed might be a tad better then my 3++ FFX sword.

JTran2003

I don't know if I should try and draw for organics when I have a good amount of 7 weapons. Want to get titus' SSB during third round since I don't have many X weapons. What do you guys think?

MrDaravon

Did the 100-gem pull, got a 3* dagger AGAIN

Now at 19 pulls my luck has been:

16 3*
1 4*
2 5*

About to tempt fate on the 11 pull, multiple relics in this banner would be great for me, I might do two pulls (I have 155 mythril right now). rngesus pls

MrDaravon

I got two Tiger Fangs

A 4* throwing weapon, which is the exact same 4* Throwing Weapon I've gotten 3 times in a row now on 11 pulls (FFVI Moonring Blade), the game really wants me to have this

4* FF1 Knight's Armor which is solid, I already have one so maybe I'll combine?

Two Tiger fangs, are you serious game

Have you two white mages with high mind both with at least R4 stop who you can commit to not really doing much else and still be able to do enough damage? Because that's what is needed to remove that headache its giving you. Is it doable without that? Yes...is there any point in driving yourself mental trying to do so? Probably not.

With two you can stagger the stops and wait with a full atb gauge with one just in case the first misses. I mastered it without taking a single hit bar a flash at the start. If you're running mages flash won't matter. If you're retaliating you need to either s/l until you get stop off first (I'd both mine with haste RMs, which helps with this and the fight as a whole.) or equip retaliator with silver glasses. S/ling might still be required until it works.

Finally fucking did it with two alternating mages and a lame-ass reta meta strat. Jesus christ, what a fucked boss.

MrDaravon

Did another pull, got 1 4* (Silver Bangle sigh) and something good finally, Sentinel's Grimoire. The SB on that is probably worth switching out Wakka for Tyro I'm guessing right (I have no unique SBs for Wakka)? Is SG just a straight double def/res buff?

Still bummed because I REALLY wanted multiple other items from this banner. I still can't goddamn fucking believe I got two copies of the worst item in the entire banner.

Road

Finally done with the Sephiroth event. These stupid very late quests are annoying. (I guess I could have left Reno at home.)

fho4q.png
kzq9r.png

Don't know if I want to pull on the banner 2. Would love SG, but I just got Thyrus and I absolutely do not need more FFVII and FFVI melee weapons...

Got a 5* orb!!!!!!!

Oh, Sentinel Grimoire. :(

I guess I should just combine it with my other one? No reason to keep two right?

Give it to me... Yeah, combine them. I mean, they could eventually introduce a second char that can use books and also some Core synergy super difficult boss, but what are the odds?

MrDaravon

Any thoughts on combining the Tiger Fangs? The SB on it blows, and it's a claw. I imagine it's use case is fairly limited and I can't really think of when I would need multiple people in a FF7 realm using (or even having the ability to) use claws.

Same question for the FF1 Knight's Armor; it's fairly solid stat-wise, but FF1 RS is such an extremely limited use case as far as I can tell, and making it a 4+ would actually probably wind up being one of my better armors.

Your stats are normal. Try 1/47...

Yeah, I mostly track that just to keep tabs on how much money I've spent on the game, since the 100-gem pulls are the only thing I spend actual money on.

What continues to fuck me more than going 0/55 and getting shit 5*'s or whatever is my horrible, horrible luck with 4* drops. I seem to keep getting the same handful of ones over and over; if I was going 0/55 but on each of those 11 pulls I was getting one or two decent 4*'s we'd be talking, but I almost never do and it kinda sucks. I have a million 3++ items at this point from like the same three realms.

Did another pull, got 1 4* (Silver Bangle sigh) and something good finally, Sentinel's Grimoire. The SB on that is probably worth switching out Wakka for Tyro I'm guessing right (I have no unique SBs for Wakka)? Is SG just a straight double def/res buff?

Still bummed because I REALLY wanted multiple other items from this banner. I still can't goddamn fucking believe I got two copies of the worst item in the entire banner.

Sorry to hear about the double Tiger Fangs, that's super-rough. I did 5 single-pulls and didn't get anything of note, but I've had absurd luck recently, so not complaining.

You'll get a loooot of mileage out of Sentinel Grimoire, especially if you can find roles to slot Tyro into that don't rely as heavily on raw stats (healing, buffing, debuffing, etc). I have Y'shtola's SS2 and it's a game-changer. In dungeons, let him whack away at enemies for Soul Break meter, and for ++ bosses use his or Cloud's RM3 to have it available first-turn. Bosses will feel far more manageable when compared to before.

Vilifier

Neo Member
100 mythril spent, got Wakka's All-Rounder and Tiger Fang. I didn't have a throwing weapon with FFX synergy, so I am pleased with it. Nice to have an excuse to use Wakka again, he was in my team all the time when I first started playing.

Saving the rest of my mythril for the FFV banner, but will probably do 100 gem pulls on the remaining SSB banners.

MrDaravon

Sorry to hear about the double Tiger Fangs, that's super-rough. I did 5 single-pulls and didn't get anything of note, but I've had absurd luck recently, so not complaining.

You'll get a loooot of mileage out of Sentinel Grimoire, especially if you can find roles to slot Tyro into that don't rely as heavily on raw stats (healing, buffing, debuffing, etc). I have Y'shtola's SS2 and it's a game-changer. In dungeons, let him whack away at enemies for Soul Break meter, and for ++ bosses use his or Cloud's RM3 to have it available first-turn. Bosses will feel far more manageable when compared to before.

Yeah, right now I'm using Cloud/Gilgamesh/Wakka/Vivi/Lenna, Wakka is just in the back row with the free Halloween Lantern mostly hanging out with Breaks, or Boost/Double Slash if I need to run retameta on something, so I guess I could just throw Tyro in there instead. Wakka's actual DPS output is largely immaterial to me, I'm guessing Books are considered short-range weapons but even if I keep Tyro in the back row I don't think that'll make a meaningful difference anyway. Also in harder content Lenna is having to run with my heal + shellga/protectga depending, so I can toss the buff on Tyro potentially and free up the slot on Lenna for Diaga or something which does pretty good damage for me at this point.

Yeah, right now I'm using Cloud/Gilgamesh/Wakka/Vivi/Lenna, Wakka is just in the back row with the free Halloween Lantern mostly hanging out with Breaks, or Boost/Double Slash if I need to run retameta on something, so I guess I could just throw Tyro in there instead. Wakka's actual DPS output is largely immaterial to me, I'm guessing Books are considered short-range weapons but even if I keep Tyro in the back row I don't think that'll make a meaningful difference anyway.

And once you learn the Soul Break you can always give Tyro the Lantern as well! Should be pretty quick if you're doing any Orbfest farming, especially if you only roll with 2 or 3 characters.

fester

Banned
So I played FFRK a bunch when it first launched, but ended up stepping away for a while after getting annoyed with several aspects of the game. I recently came back (I'm an absolutely sucker for nostalgic FF stuff) and I'm trying to get back up to speed, but it seems a number of things have changed.

I can't read through all 88 pages of this thread right now, but could someone give me a high-level overview of what I should focus on? Or at least point me in the right direction? When I last played level 50 was the cap, so I only have 5 level 50 characters (Cloud, Cecil, Terra, Aerith, Kain). The first page FAQ mentions getting Black/White mages and Summoner up to 50 - is that still valid? I have a ton of growth eggs I could dump into characters, but I don't want to waste them on poor choices.

I'm working through the normal core dungeons right now and should be caught up on them shortly, and any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
So I played FFRK a bunch when it first launched, but ended up stepping away for a while after getting annoyed with several aspects of the game. I recently came back (I'm an absolutely sucker for nostalgic FF stuff) and I'm trying to get back up to speed, but it seems a number of things have changed.

I can't read through all 88 pages of this thread right now, but could someone give me a high-level overview of what I should focus on? Or at least point me in the right direction? When I last played level 50 was the cap, so I only have 5 level 50 characters (Cloud, Cecil, Terra, Aerith, Kain). The first page FAQ mentions getting Black/White mages and Summoner up to 50 - is that still valid? I have a ton of growth eggs I could dump into characters, but I don't want to waste them on poor choices.

I'm working through the normal core dungeons right now and should be caught up on them shortly, and any tips/advice is greatly appreciated.

Yes, the priority is White and Black Mage to 50 for their record materia. Then it depends. If you are not always grinding for more orbs, then your best bet is to go for Retaliate Meta - get 2 or 3 honed double cuts, a honed retaliate for Cloud, and maybe the double cut record materia from Joseph. You can clear most ofl the content in the game with that set up.
This also means you should get shellga/protectga as your first big 4* orb spends if you are going for this strat, since you can't bring any defensive RW with you.

MrDaravon

And once you learn the Soul Break you can always give Tyro the Lantern as well!

I literally have so few Unique SB weapons that I forgot that was even a thing lol

Like seriously I know it seems like I harp a lot about getting screwed on relics, but in coming up on 4 months of play ignoring core characters I have all of 6 Unique SB relics. I don't even HAVE two of the characters of those 6, and of the remaining 4 only two of them are any good and that's counting the SG I just got. Meanwhile I have probably at least 20-25 3++ items, most of which even at 3++ aren't that good but at a point I just didn't have anything else to do with materials.

It's pretty discouraging. Honestly if the gem cost on 11 pulls wasn't so incredibly astronomical ($30 is ridiculous IMO) I'd probably put money into the game at this point to try to get past this hump, it's really bumming me out.

fester

Banned
Yes, the priority is White and Black Mage to 50 for their record materia. Then it depends. If you are not always grinding for more orbs, then your best bet is to go for Retaliate Meta - get 2 or 3 honed double cuts, a honed retaliate for Cloud, and maybe the double cut record materia from Joseph. You can clear most ofl the content in the game with that set up.
This also means you should get shellga/protectga as your first big 4* orb spends if you are going for this strat, since you can't bring any defensive RW with you.

Thanks, that's super helpful, I totally forgot to mention needing some direction on which abilities to create/hone.

It's pretty discouraging. Honestly if the gem cost on 11 pulls wasn't so incredibly astronomical ($30 is ridiculous IMO) I'd probably put money into the game at this point to try to get past this hump, it's really bumming me out.

Yikes, I guess some things haven't changed afterall. :(

MicH

Any thoughts on combining the Tiger Fangs? The SB on it blows, and it's a claw. I imagine it's use case is fairly limited and I can't really think of when I would need multiple people in a FF7 realm using (or even having the ability to) use claws.

Same question for the FF1 Knight's Armor; it's fairly solid stat-wise, but FF1 RS is such an extremely limited use case as far as I can tell, and making it a 4+ would actually probably wind up being one of my better armors.

Yeah, I mostly track that just to keep tabs on how much money I've spent on the game, since the 100-gem pulls are the only thing I spend actual money on.

What continues to fuck me more than going 0/55 and getting shit 5*'s or whatever is my horrible, horrible luck with 4* drops. I seem to keep getting the same handful of ones over and over; if I was going 0/55 but on each of those 11 pulls I was getting one or two decent 4*'s we'd be talking, but I almost never do and it kinda sucks. I have a million 3++ items at this point from like the same three realms.
Red XIII, Tifa and Yuffie can all use fist weapons so I'd keep them separate do you have any other 5* fists?

Road

FF6 Kaiser Knuckles, that's it. I have a few 3+ ones floating around, but no natural 4's or 3++'s.

There's at least one FF7 event every month, so having synergy for it doesn't hurt. If you don't have a bunch of other FF7 5* weapons, I'd keep them separate.

MrDaravon

Red XIII, Tifa and Yuffie can all use fist weapons so I'd keep them separate do you have any other 5* fists?

There's at least one FF7 event every month, so having synergy for it doesn't hurt. If you don't have a bunch of other FF7 5* weapons, I'd keep them separate.

Yeah if that's the case I'll keep them separate, I haven't touched Red XIII or Yuffie yet (not sure if I have Yuffie even but probably do?) so I didn't even know they could equip fists. Outside of the freebie FF7 Gold Sword we got recently all I have for FF7 weapons other than these are two shit 3* ones.

Also seriously what on earth is up with FFXII weapons and their drop rates, goddamn? In my entire gametime to date I've only gotten ten different weapon drops combined between FF7, FF8, FF9 and FF10. Right at this moment I have 21 FF12 weapons, not including the huge multitude of them I've used or sold (I don't even keep most of the 3* ones at this point anymore) or all of the 3++/4+/4++ ones that 21 includes. It's seriously ridiculous, and FF12 doesn't even seem to come up that much? Baffling.

Edit: Well shit, I just noticed I don't have Rinoa's MC1, and I already used my MC1 choices on VoM. I...guess I'm glad I didn't get her SSB in banner 1 now? LOL. Everyone was saying to get her MC2, but should I even bother getting her MC2 now then? Looking at the future events listing it looks like we're something around 25 banners out from Rinoa being on a FF8 banner again (this is even after FFT hits)....so yeah >_>. I've already got Vivi at level 60ish and I grabbed Terra's MC1 since she's my bae, but if I had known I didn't have Rinoa's I would have grabbed hers instead, but nothing I can do now. I have no specific BM relics other than the Ice Whip for Rydia, I was probably going to swap out Vivi for Terra.

alcheim

Quick question about Vale of Memories' Hall of Rites...

So I used up all 4 memory crystal II lodes on PCecil, Tyro, Rinoa, and Tidus,

Now I've got 4 soul of heroes, and 4 memory crystal lodes left over. When I try to redeem them, all characters on the list have it as unlocked/collected. But I'm sure I still have characters that haven't broken the level cap yet (i.e. Warrior, Quina, etc.)

Did these characters ever get added to the VoM equivalent in the JP version? Should I just trade these items for Growth eggs?

I literally have so few Unique SB weapons that I forgot that was even a thing lol

Like seriously I know it seems like I harp a lot about getting screwed on relics, but in coming up on 4 months of play ignoring core characters I have all of 6 Unique SB relics. I don't even HAVE two of the characters of those 6, and of the remaining 4 only two of them are any good and that's counting the SG I just got. Meanwhile I have probably at least 20-25 3++ items, most of which even at 3++ aren't that good but at a point I just didn't have anything else to do with materials.

I started day 1 and went 19 events before I got a character-specific relic break (Sahz's Vegas in the Lightning/Sahz event), so believe me, I totally understand. And there's no shame in quitting if you're not enjoying it. If not, hopefully you'll hit a hot streak at some point. I compensated by going HAM in orb acquisition, and it really got me through some tough battles before I finally started to receive quality relics. But man, when you have both amazing hones and high-tier relics, you feel pretty damn powerful. Hammer Orbfest and start getting them 4* abilities to Rank 3+. :)

That's my problem too. I rarely get a 5* and when I do it looks like you. My 4*, same story. Hey at least we both have SG (had to luck out at some point) and it was a game changer for me.

Like the poster above mentioned, I compensate with very good hones.

Negator

Quick question about Vale of Memories' Hall of Rites...

So I used up all 4 memory crystal II lodes on PCecil, Tyro, Rinoa, and Tidus,

Now I've got 4 soul of heroes, and 4 memory crystal lodes left over. When I try to redeem them, all characters on the list have it as unlocked/collected. But I'm sure I still have characters that haven't broken the level cap yet (i.e. Warrior, Quina, etc.)

Did these characters ever get added to the VoM equivalent in the JP version? Should I just trade these items for Growth eggs?

From what I understand, once the event is over, those items are no longer usable and can only be used during the event. So if you're like me and have almost everything, use the spares on 4* Eggs.

Edit: Also, this setup from reddit makes Hojo++ 3 Man a huge joke. Pretty much a free Rosetta Stone.

elty

Just beat++ with
Gigamash - retaliate draw fire
Reno - double cut
Seph - double cut

Runic blade RW

Boring but full 18 medal.

MrDaravon

I started day 1 and went 19 events before I got a character-specific relic break (Sahz's Vegas in the Lightning/Sahz event), so believe me, I totally understand. And there's no shame in quitting if you're not enjoying it. If not, hopefully you'll hit a hot streak at some point. I compensated by going HAM in orb acquisition, and it really got me through some tough battles before I finally started to receive quality relics. But man, when you have both amazing hones and high-tier relics, you feel pretty damn powerful. Hammer Orbfest and start getting them 4* abilities to Rank 3+. :)

That's my problem too. I rarely get a 5* and when I do it looks like you. My 4*, same story. Hey at least we both have SG (had to luck out at some point) and it was a game changer for me.

Like the poster above mentioned, I compensate with very good hones.

Yeah, with this orbfest I've got a lot of my 3/4* abilities at r2/3/4 now, but my total lack of RS in some realms is completely screwing me in some situations. Like in FF9 I have literally zero FF9 weapons except for the 2 (or 3?) copies of the 2* dagger they gave us last go around, and likewise I have zero FF9 armors except for the one 2* one they gave us 2/3 copies of last event along with the dagger. I have zero FFX weapons except the Lullaby Rod, and only 3 FFX armors (bracers). FF 4/5/6 are the only realms where I have any meaningful RS, but most of it's not super great (lot of 3++ stuff). Oh and FF12 I have an assload of 3++ stuff, but so far there's barely been any FF12 dungeons yet lol (still not close to caught up though).

Like, I'm getting through Classic dungeons okay but in any of the realms where I just have very little or literally no RS Elite dugneons are a serious problem, much less mastering them. I just got Cloud's MC2 so I can at least take him past 65 now which will help, but hones on my mage skills aren't really helping when they're dead because they get wrecked even at level 60ish because I have no RS armors for a lot of realms etc. Yeah, I can use Retaliate meta to get past some of the harder stuff but that's super dumb; I'll do it for some stuff if I need to like these 110 VoM events, but if I'm going to have to start doing that just to get through core dungeons fuck that lol.

alcheim

From what I understand, once the event is over, those items are no longer usable and can only be used during the event. So if you're like me and have almost everything, use the spares on 4* Eggs.

Edit: Also, this setup from reddit makes Hojo++ 3 Man a huge joke. Pretty much a free Rosetta Stone.

I see. Thanks!

That 5* Omega Badge accessory from VoM ain't bad at all.

ccbfan

Hell yeah finally rolled a wall with SG.

With my only ssb relics all Mage I guess the game is telling me to go Mage meta.

How do you play Mage meta?

I usually see 1 physical and 4 Mage.

My physical is probably cloud/pecil/Gilgamesh.

Does tyro sub as physical?

I got these for Mage?

Cardinal(rinoa)
Ice whip(rydia)
Elder staff(vivi)
Wyrmfang
Sky cutter
Mog scarf

Rinoa is in since she's the only 80 Mage.

Same with vanille with her multi target heal sb and only white Mage with a ssb weapon.

Not sure about rest thinking vivi and rydia.

Forgot to pull on phase 1 (only thing I really wanted was stoneskin relic), 11 pull on phase 2 (wanted SG or Organics) got Rune Blade. 3*1.7 wind damage seems kind of bad :(

Well the next things I'm gunning for are phase 3,4 and FFV part 2 (yes AoE heals would be nice and I know the candle will be total shit). Fuck phase 5 as I know I'd get Edwards relic and hate DeNA for removing him.

Wait, I use an Advance RW called Poet. Small world, huh.

Balphon

Forgot to pull on phase 1 (only thing I really wanted was stoneskin relic), 11 pull on phase 2 (wanted SG or Organics) got Rune Blade. 3*1.7 wind damage seems kind of bad :(

Most unique physical relic SBs total around 5.0, and more hits is generally better than less. Blaze Rush (Lightning) is also 3 hits * 1.7, for instance.

Well the next things I'm gunning for are phase 3,4 and FFV part 2 (yes AoE heals would be nice and I know the candle will be total shit). Fuck phase 5 as I know I'd get Edwards relic and hate DeNA for removing him.

Wait, I use an Advance RW called Poet. Small world, huh.

Rune Blade has 116 attack at 20/20 which makes it my strongest weapon without synergy so even if the SB itself isn't super amazing I still get a lot of use from the weapon.

Falk

that puzzling face
It's also an ez 29997 on wind-vulnerable bosses for PP/HotE setups (or straight out Advance/retaliate)

ezodagrom

Got Celes with VoM and added her to my party (replacing Squall). ^^
Today tried my luck with the current banner, got 9 3*s, 1 random 4* rod, and...the weapon I actually wanted from it, Celes' Rune Blade. @~@

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom