• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy: Record Keeper |OT2| I HAVE NO MYTHRIL AND I MUST SHOUT

Status
Not open for further replies.
Crafted Flare, probably not one of my better decisions but these quests aren't going to complete themselves. Just Flare Strike, Mug Time and Barrage left (going for Full Break R2 next though).

Is Underground Waterway (4) still best place to farm Core Character RM?

MrDaravon

That reminds me, I'm still sad my best Black Mage weapon is the 4* FF3 (?) one you get really early on for clearing one of first Elite Core Dungeons. I noticed that yesterday when I was switching over to Terra and was like fuuuuuuck. I have a few 3++ rods in FFV and FFVI that beat it out a little in those realms but that's it. :(

against my better judgment I did a pair of 3 pulls in addition to the 100 gem pulls which netted not even a useful 4 star-only 1 combinable 3 star even. Feeling a bit demoralized I reached for my wallet but something stayed my hand. perhaps preemptive guilt of a wasteful expenditure. I then proceeded to steam roll all of the sephiroth event quests and Omega without a single reload. So clearly I am in zero need of new shiny arms, even if I am lacking an ssb. I'm thinking of either taking the stormlance grimoire or tyrfing from the beginners banner. Tyrfing because with barrage, Luneth will be outputting tremendous damage on his own even if capped at 65, particularly with an rs sword. That would make up a bit for the lack of having an ssb offensive weapon.

Road

That reminds me, I'm still sad my best Black Mage weapon is the 4* FF3 (?) one you get really early on for clearing one of first Elite Core Dungeons. I noticed that yesterday when I was switching over to Terra and was like fuuuuuuck. I have a few 3++ rods in FFV and FFVI that beat it out a little in those realms but that's it. :(

I thought you said you had Lullaby Rod?

Crafted Flare, probably not one of my better decisions but these quests aren't going to complete themselves. Just Flare Strike, Mug Time and Barrage left (going for Full Break R2 next though).

Is Underground Waterway (4) still best place to farm Core Character RM?
It's going to be tough when they announce the new quest system and I have to decide whether or not I want to complete all current quests. Why did they have to put Mug Time and Flare Strike there? They're useless, at least the others have a future.

ccbfan

Anyone have a guide for Mage Meta?

From my general understanding you basically want.

1 Supporter for breakdowns
2-3 Black Magic users
1-2 Summoners
2 White Magic users.
1 misc.

So something like a

Tyro (All skilled plus its my SG user)
Vanille (White and Black Magic, have her wyrm weapon)
Yuna/Eiko/Aeris (Summons and White Magic)
Rinoa (Black Magic, White Magic, have her cardinal)
Vivi (Black Magic, have his elder staff)

party work?

Also what skills should I have and hone?

2-3 Black Magic users
1-2 Summoners
2 White Magic users.
1 misc.

So something like a

party work?

It depends upon who you have access to, what sb/5 stars you have, and what boss you're going to fight. From what you've stated above Tyro and Rinoa will likely be staples for you, after that it gets a bit dicey. Unless you have two sets of r5 aga/aja you probably don't need both Vivi and Rinoa since they basically cover the same job. Personally I'd bring a summoner and white mage with your final spot being flexible depending on what your need is. Probably a physical character to help keep your mages casts down during the mobs or to retaliate off of in case you run out of spells.

Generally a standard set of battles consists of

Ruinga one shot
Valefore one shot
Physical and support team one foe, diaga the other

Then with the springs I don't lose any usage on the above spells and take minimum damage. That general strategy has carried me through almost every challenge since orb fest.

Falk

that puzzling face

2-3 Black Magic users
1-2 Summoners
2 White Magic users.
1 misc.

So something like a

party work?

This applies through roughly lv130 dungeons. Numbers get stricter past that, but the general gist doesn't change. You need 3 black sticks and 1 white stick, although they're substitutable with red sticks. Mage meta relies on having 105-120MAG/MND weapons, and hence is very largely RS-agnostic, but if your sticks are of a particular RS, it's much easier to pull the required numbers in that RS. Also remember that many realms have 3++ black/white sticks given out as event rewards that typically go up to 130MAG/MND with RS.

1) Bosses have ~250k HP or less. This is your target

2) There's a rule that I call the 8.5 x 3.5 x 8 rule. That is, if 3.5 (leeway down from 4) of your guys do 8.5k damage per hit on average (leeway down from 9999), you'll kill the boss in 8 turns. (The actual value of 8.5 x 3.5 x 8 = 238k, close enough to 250 not counting those leeways)

To explain those numbers:

3) The 3.5: You have 5 guys. We're assuming that Support Guy (Mental Breakdown, and one other defensive Breakdown, substitute with Full Break if you have it) won't do significant damage at all. He's there to debuff. If he hits for 3k+, cool, that's a bonus. Instead of 4, we're going down to 3.5 with the assumption that one of your guys will either be getting stuff like Boon/LH up via RW or simply healing from time to time.

4) The 8.5: It's actually really, really easy with 4* abilities to hit 9999 with Mental Breakdown. Between juggling Devotion/Impetuous Youth/Rinoa RM3/etc around on your weaker nukers, and 4* abilities in general. Remember that it's OK if one person lags behind and does less than 8k. You just want to hit that 8.5k average as a base guideline. More is better.

5) The 8: Following the above two points plugged into the formula, if you have 3.5 guys doing 8.5k damage each on average per turn, you only need to make sure they have 8 abilities to take care of the boss' entire HP bar. This works out because:
- For Support Guy, it's possible to get by on r2 breakdowns. If you alternate two r2 breakdowns, you'll last 8 turns
- Assuming you're lugging along Valefor, Meteor or Ruinga for clearing trash, putting something in the other slot that adds up to 8 casts total when you reach the boss isn't all that high of a bar. e.g. r1 Meteor + r3 Waterja, or r2 Valefor + r3 Thundaja, etc. Or simply Curaga + r3 Diaga which is 8 casts.
- Boon/LH/SG/etc. RWs will comfortably last through 4 turns so you can fire off the first at the start and second at 50% and you'll get full coverage.

Again, this is all baseline, and you'll find you kill stuff faster/last longer when your hones and gear get better. Pulling past the 130 difficulty dungeons, you'll find that it's actually the trash that starts getting problematic, with a lot of single mobs that have over 10k hp, reducing the efficiency of bulldozing through it with multiple recharging AOEs. You can overcome this with more hones and blowing a couple on trash, etc, but at that point of current endgame physical builds do tend to come back into favor anyway.

In terms of what you want to make: Anything that feeds into the 8 turn rule and helps you painlessly clear trash. Meteor r1 alone is already a Godsend, as are non-elemental 4* summons. Ruinga is cool although you end up having to give that person your best gear to get Ruinga's damage up to hit the 8.5k average. (Unless you're going Devotion with Ruinga, but then you won't have it recharging for trash)

Of all the elemental spells, Waterja is the best 4* you can get for your orbs. Vulnerabilities are nice, but at the 4* level with good gear and Mental Breakdown you'll be hitting 9999 anyway even without Vulnerability, so it boils down to which spells get resisted/absorbed the least, rather than which you can capitalize on for vulnerabilities. Bioga is the second least resisted 4* and hits harder single-target than Ruinga.

(Speaking of vulnerabilities, the -ga ranks will already hit close to 9999 anyway)

I'm kind of debating using some refreshes today since I have so much Mythril.

But really, the only thing I need any of is Major Ice Orbs, I'm pretty good otherwise.

I wonder how many Final Fantasy VII events there have been in Japan versus the combined total of I, II and III (non-collaboration) events.

Mknzy

Ok, I have a question. Sephiroth was the first MC2 that I was able to get. So far in the current event, I picked up P.Cecil, Tidus, and Squall's MC2, and now I have to choose between Tyro, Cloud, and Rinoa for my last one. I am tempted to go with Cloud, but VII is by far my strongest game in terms of synergy and equipment. I could use another good caster, but I haven't leveled Rinoa yet, so it would be a while before I could use it. I don't use Tyro often, but he IS at 65 so I could use the crystal right away. I thought I would go ahead and ask, out of those three, which would you guys recommend?

Balphon

Ok, I have a question. Sephiroth was the first MC2 that I was able to get. So far in the current event, I picked up P.Cecil, Tidus, and Squall's MC2, and now I have to choose between Tyro, Cloud, and Rinoa for my last one. I am tempted to go with Cloud, but VII is by far my strongest game in terms of synergy and equipment. I could use another good caster, but I haven't leveled Rinoa yet, so it would be a while before I could use it. I don't use Tyro often, but he IS at 65 so I could use the crystal right away. I thought I would go ahead and ask, out of those three, which would you guys recommend?

Cloud. You'll want either his or Tyro's RM3 and if you don't use Tyro much the extra levels will go to waste on him.

ccbfan

For the Vale of Memories event.

Do I need to use the rewards before the event ends or can I use them whenever?

From what I'm reading

Warrier + FFXIV characters are the way to go for the characters while

MC1 it's whoever's MC1 you're missing that you're getting an MC2 for.

While MC2, most can get all 6 but if you don't have Cloud and Squall then drop Tidus.

LucaMac

Pulled sentinel grimore in my 25 mythril summoner pull in Japan. Every 5 star was guaranteed to be a relic for a character who can use summons...never even crossed my mind that Tyro uses 5 star summon...really can't complain though. Guess I'll have to level him since he has been absent since the tutorial in my Japan game.

Meanwhile, actually trying to get SG in global...all three stars.

I threw 105 Mythril at this banner and didn't get any character relics. How long until Organics, Sentinel and Thyrus are available again?

l94Qikx.png

t3Aewnd.png

HDUXqOC.png

Balphon

I threw 105 Mythril at this banner and didn't get any character relics. How long until Organics, Sentinel and Thyrus are available again?

Can't know for sure but likely not until the next celebration event (anniversary or the next soul break festival).

I don't think Organics is in the Yuffie event, that'd be the only other chance.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
I was sans reliable internet from the 12th to the 19th so I missed out on the tail end of the FF6 event and the first holiday batch. It's been a bit of a mad scramble to catch up. I managed to get Sephiroth's MC2. Probably won't go for the 3-man missions or the +++. Almost done the 110 difficulties in VoM. Will try to get to Omega but mostly going to grind out some orbs on Festive Fantasy. Then in January I'm going to hit the dungeon circuit, I'm like half-way through DU9 or something, it's embarrassing, and my shitty 115 stamina isn't doing me any favours.

Road

Did 2 more draws in the Sephiroth banner. Got 5* Turks Suit. With that, I got 2 5* (the other was the FF6 Spear) in 10 draws, which is lucky. Yay me.

But I didn't get any of the items I wanted (Yoshiyuki or Precious Watch or Dragon Armlet or Keepsake Ribbon or Telescopic Batton). 20 minutes left and I'm feeling that urge of spending all my 169 mythril on this shit...

Omega is a nightmare.Finally beat him but lost 3 medals :|
I don't even know how to get mastery on it without just S/Ling a lot for good RNG.

Yep, RNG hell for me. First I tried "regular" fighting with Wall + Shellga + Magic Breakdown but it attacks way too fast for me to keep up healing even with 2 white mages. So, I give up and go with the 2 Stop strategy, but then I had to s/l a billion times in order to get a Stop hit and miss sequence that didn't result in being burned alive. I think I'll try mage meta with 1 stop later, just to see how it goes.

The samples can be put to sleep correct in the ++ battle?

Yep. Although, I blinded the Octopus thing because Blindga is less RNG and its attacks are physical.

JTran2003

Did two 3 relic pulls and a single pull, all 3* items. Guess they're telling me I will not get organics. Will save the rest of my 50 to try and get titus' SSB. Really just want his weapon cause I don't have any strong FFX weapons but he is not one of my mains... Maybe I need to think about this...

Yep, RNG hell for me. First I tried "regular" fighting with Wall + Shellga + Magic Breakdown but it attacks way too fast for me to keep up healing even with 2 white mages. So, I give up and go with the 2 Stop strategy, but then I had to s/l a billion times in order to get a Stop hit and miss sequence that didn't result in being burned alive. I think I'll try mage meta with 1 stop later, just to see how it goes.
I tried like 2 or 3 parties that pretty clearly weren't going to work until going with an advance, retaliate, and 2 stops setup which, while a total pain in the ass to get the RNG to go my way, it actually looked possible to do. Finally just now got the mastery losing 1 medal to actions.
This is the setup I ended up using
Obviously I've been lucky with relics and not everyone is going to have access to hastega and a wall, however it should still be doable with default SBs. The wall was basically a safety net to stack with Shellga and mitigate magic damage at the start while setting everything up. It shouldn't be necessary and a +RES SB like Celes might work well enough in it's place.

Armor breakdown / Steal defense are both useless here. If you're without a hastega SB then you could swap Balthier for someone who can double cut/tempo fury and haste (again, Celes could fill this role) and try to get as many casts of haste in at the start. It'll be hard to keep Omega stunned if your Stop casters aren't able to constantly barrage him with it.

edit: I should add that the last RM there starts the battle with reflect. I found it way more reliable than trying to use Dispel.

Kyari

I threw 100 mythril at the Sephiroth banner to try and get telescopic rod before it disappeared.

All I got was a stupid Yoshiyuki. So I guess I have to put Sephiroth on my team now.

NOT. It's going straight on Gilgamesh, along with Sephiroth's significant katana damage materia.

I'm leaning towards the healer rod tomorrow, because I have no AOE heal SBs and I can probably eat the mind loss over a Judgement Staff on Aerith or Y'shtola.

Brandson

Just beat Omega after failing and refining the strategy 5 times with this party:

Rinoa 65 (thundaga r4, thundaga r2)
Cloud 80 (armor break, thundara strike r4)
Yshtola 65 (stop r4, stop r1)
Squall 80 (blindna r5, thundara strike r4)
Vivi 65 (thundaja r3, thundaga r4)
rw Hand of the Emperor

Stop landed most of the time. When it didn't I did nothing until it landed the next time to avoid counter-reflect. I had Squall blindna himself and Cloud when flashed. This worked well until I miss-timed a thundaja with about 20% of its hp left, he reflected, and proceeded to kill off my mages. One Rinoa valkyrie soul break and thundara strikes were enough to finish him off, barely. The speed at which you can wipe in this battle if things don't go perfectly is rough.

Falk

that puzzling face
I shouldn't be complaining about getting 3 Gigantuars back to back.

But I'm complaining about getting 3 Gigantuars back to back.

7fBDQ5Ol.jpg

GOD

MicH

Japan just got a bunch of new BSSBs for their BSSB celebration

New BSSBs:

Banner 1 :
PCecil BSSB - 5 times AoE Holy attack
Attack commands changed to Single target Holy attack + Power down + Self medium Recovery
Defend command changed to 2 times Aoe Holy attack

Banner 4:
Bartz BSSB - 6 time single target
Attack command changed to 4 time single target dual elemental (Wind/Water)
Defend command changed to 4 time single target dual elemental (Fire/Earth)

Tyro BSSB - Protectga/Shellga + magic blink
Attack command changed to Attack/Magic Down
Defend command changed to Def/Res Down

Banner 5:
Terra BSSB - 5 time Non-Ele AoE
Attack command changed to 4 time single target dual elemental (Fire/None)
Defend command changed to 4 time single target dual elemental (Water/None)

Tidus BSSB - 5 times Water AOE
Attack command changed to 4 time single target dual elemental (Water/None)
Defend command changed to 2 time AoE dual elemental (Water/None)

Jyrii

Banned
Optimize must be trolling on Fran. Sets Full Break and Magic breakdown as skills, equips magic gear and sets auto-berserk as the RM. Also she is on the back row.

Edit.
Guess it makes a bit more sense if you have her bow.

Christmas gifts are out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3y11b0/considering_your_xmas_gift/
I was thinking rod as I lack AoE healing but seeing those stats combined with the low potency of the heal is making me consider one of the others instead. Shame the claiming window is too small to make it to FFV banner 2 (which is my last chance for AoE heal before AoE spamming misfortune ExDeath but would cure level and bad stats help there much).

Christmas gifts are out:
https://www.reddit.com/r/FFRecordKeeper/comments/3y11b0/considering_your_xmas_gift/
I was thinking rod as I lack AoE healing but seeing those stats combined with the low potency of the heal is making me consider one of the others instead. Shame the claiming window is too small to make it to FFV banner 2 (which is my last chance for AoE heal before AoE spamming misfortune ExDeath but would cure level and bad stats help there much).

Due to already having ridiculous FFVII synergy, my choice boils down to this:

The mittens are the cutest

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom