• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

TommyT

Dunan said:
I might be remembering wrong, but I found a way to win this battle while alternately feeling like a genius and a cheater:
recruit a black chocobo and fly it to the top of the gallows with someone capable of hitting Gaffgarion with projectiles riding it. I don't think he can reach you up there.

If he's stuck he really can't go back to do that. Which brings me to: can you have multiple saves in this version?

Dunan

TommyT said:
If he's stuck he really can't go back to do that. Which brings me to: can you have multiple saves in this version?

Ah, right. I forgot that
Belias
isn't the only battle that puts you in that position.

The only one thing that I didn't like about the PSP version was that the random battles got incredibly hard out of nowhere. I like to grind, so maybe I got to be too high of a level, but I was getting fights against huge amounts of very difficult monsters. Is this suppose to happen when you get to a high enough level?

Other than that weird difficulty spike near the end, I didn't have any other problems. I don't remember if I played like this for long, but I did have an entire party of monks for a while. I think they're the ones with an attack that goes in a straight line across the entire map.

finalozzo said:
i'm stuck here.
Battle 18: Golgollada Gallows - Gaffgarion (lv 17 Fell Knight) + 6 vs 5.
Time mages cast hasteja, then fira, Gaffgarion has that fucking blood sword and knights rent my fucking euip. I'm going to drop this game, yeah. And OF COURSE my dragoon hasn't a spear because i'm stuck and i can't buy it.

Here's a simple formula to win every battle:

Get a Ninja and the Two Swords ability.

Rodney McKay said:
The only one thing that I didn't like about the PSP version was that the random battles got incredibly hard out of nowhere. I like to grind, so maybe I got to be too high of a level, but I was getting fights against huge amounts of very difficult monsters. Is this suppose to happen when you get to a high enough level?

Other than that weird difficulty spike near the end, I didn't have any other problems. I don't remember if I played like this for long, but I did have an entire party of monks for a while. I think they're the ones with an attack that goes in a straight line across the entire map.

I believe in story battles enemies are the same level no matter what while random battles enemies are at the level of your highest level character and you can go through a large part of the story with few random battles given how the map unlocks. Plus if your highest leveled characters gets too far from the rest of your party it can cause problems.

I don't think enemies change too much based on you level but in general the eastern half of the map has much harder enemies than the western half and running around there late in the game doing sidequests got to be quite a pain. I wish there was a run option or no-encounters item.

Curse that one map with the river. High powered monsters galore

TommyT

thomasmahler said:

You forgot to say then make yourself a Monk ;D.

cackhyena said:
So torn still on whether to get this for my Touch or PSN.
BOTH!

This is probably my ~20th copy of the game. I still buy them off ebay from time to time.

Finalow

Dunan said:
I might be remembering wrong, but I found a way to win this battle while alternately feeling like a genius and a cheater:
recruit a black chocobo and fly it to the top of the gallows with someone capable of hitting Gaffgarion with projectiles riding it. I don't think he can reach you up there.
nope, it doesn't work because i have to kill all and not just him, this is the problem.

Finalow

eh, that's a problem of the game, it can't stuck you like that, i was using a dragoon without a spear, for example.

thomasmahler said:

this is the only way, i have to grind more and more until i get ninja or something powerful. (not monk)

bigace33

finalozzo said:
eh, that's a problem of the game, it can't stuck you like that, i was using a dragoon without a spear, for example.

this is the only way, i have to grind more and more until i get ninja or something powerful. (not monk)
The Monk ability is awesome. I always equip Ramza with the squire+monk ability in all my playthroughs. Raising your Brave, strength and speed along with all the offensive skills of the Monk can place your Ramza near Orlandu levels of destruction.

Hero

Ramza as a Squire + Two Swords Ability + Scream = Destruction

Seriously you just go around the map slaughtering the shit out of people it's gross. Since Ramza can equip Knight swords as a Squire with the two swords ability he gets extremely bullshit. Back on the PS1 you could do a shop glitch and duplicate items so creating Excalibers for everyone meant your whole team had permanent haste.

chris-013

finalozzo said:

Monk is the easiest way if you don't want to grind to unlock new jobs.
And you don't need to kill
Gaff
, he will flee at 30% (or 50% hp, I don't remember) so focus every member on him then heal with potion and phoenix down after.

thomasmahler said:

Two swords? For beginners maybe

Ninja with equip spear and jump is where it is at. The jump command is based on speed and with a Ninja it makes you a god!

bigace33

Pft. Ninjas are weak. Their hit points are way too low. With my Monk/squire Ramza I killed Velius with two regular punches. I'm serious, one of the games toughest fight was over in like 5 seconds.

TommyT

finalozzo said:

Wait so you're not stuck and you can still grind? If that's the case there is no issue here >.>.

:lol at monk not powerful...

Hero said:
Ramza as a Squire + Two Swords Ability + Scream = Destruction

Seriously you just go around the map slaughtering the shit out of people it's gross. Since Ramza can equip Knight swords as a Squire with the two swords ability he gets extremely bullshit. Back on the PS1 you could do a shop glitch and duplicate items so creating Excalibers for everyone meant your whole team had permanent haste.

Excalibur and Save The Queen was where it was at! So many amazing combinations that can be had with the game.

Any word on if this will be + (is that the term for "buy it once and get iPhone and iPad" versions?) enabled? I'd like to get it, but will be getting an iPad soon and don't want to bother buying it on both...

Didn't see the info in OP.

SnakeswithLasers said:
Any word on if this will be + (is that the term for "buy it once and get iPhone and iPad" versions?) enabled? I'd like to get it, but will be getting an iPad soon and don't want to bother buying it on both...

Didn't see the info in OP.

Square Enix already said that it won't be a universal version, which to me is total BS :(

gate777

Seeing as FFT is released for basically every system/platform imaginable, doesn't everybody think that it's about time Square-Enix make a FFT2?

NOT, I repeat NOT the FFT abominations on the gameboy and DS; those DO NOT COUNT as true FFT sequels.

Make it happen Square!!

Finalow

well, with monk you can equip only an armor (and not the best ones) and a ring. Maybe it has good abilities, but it's not so great.

Skilletor

gate777 said:
Seeing as FFT is released for basically every system/platform imaginable, doesn't everybody think that it's about time Square-Enix make a FFT2?

NOT, I repeat NOT the FFT abominations on the gameboy and DS; those DO NOT COUNT as true FFT sequels.

Make it happen Square!!

I wouldn't want an FFT sequel w/o Matsuno. I'll just finish my Tactics Ogre remake.

Oh, and FFTA2 is the truth. It's an amazing game that people lump in with FFTA and they shouldn't.

Finalow

holy fuck = |
i tried for the first time arithmetician. What the fuck? Abilities are great but SPEED 03.
how can i even play with him?
is, at least, bard good?

thomasmahler said:

You forgot blade grasp with 97 brave (Brave is raised by 1 point permanently every time you increase a person's brave by 10 points)

97% melee and physical range dodge rate.

evilgreg

Neo Member
After debating for the past several days, I bought the game and am pleased to report that it runs flawlessly on my 3GS. It seems like the game was actually designed to run on this hardware and it looks much better on the non-retina display.

Finalow

i finally take dual wield with Ramza and now i can equip two weapon (i have the blood sword, i want to use it), but i don't know which job should i pick. Ninja is pretty good but Throw sucks and can't equip good armors.

evilgreg said:
After debating for the past several days, I bought the game and am pleased to report that it runs flawlessly on my 3GS. It seems like the game was actually designed to run on this hardware and it looks much better on the non-retina display.

It doesn't run very well on my 3GS... Lots of slowdown even after disabling enemy colors. Any other tweaks?

Magnus

The more comments I read, the more I'm sure people have very different definitions of slowdown, framerates, performance, etc.

:(

PittaGAF

Magnus said:
The more comments I read, the more I'm sure people have very different definitions of slowdown, framerates, performance, etc.

:(
From what I gathered on various forums, it seems a hit or miss situation.
Some people get noticeable slowdowns (even accessing the menus), some people have a silk-smooth experience.
I'm (fortunately) on the second group.
I just ended a 3 hour session on my iPhone 4, while downloading something like 5 big updates in the background.
Deep in chapter 2, with some battles with many big summons, I got absolutely no framedrops, lag or slowdowns...on the contrary it is pretty slick and fast, especially rotating the map.
I hope SE gets this sorted out fast and let everyone enjoy the game.
Which, if I may, is simply AMAZING.

chris-013

finalozzo said:
i finally take dual wield with Ramza and now i can equip two weapon (i have the blood sword, i want to use it), but i don't know which job should i pick. Ninja is pretty good but Throw sucks and can't equip good armors.

Throw don't suck, it's one of the best skill to do a SSCC (That means finish the game with only ramza and one job) and speed > armor.

Finalow

chris-013 said:
Throw don't suck, it's one of the best skill to do a SSCC (That means finish the game with only ramza and one job) and speed > armor.
maybe it don't suck if i buy a tons of good weapons to throw, but i don't know any cheat to obtain infinite money.

Finalow

lol
Belias.
i killed him without using chameleon robe (which is like cheating), that was a damn good fight.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
chris-013 said:

What is a SSCC? You can beat the entire game with one character? Or just the last battle? Also, what makes throw so good?

matt360

Quick question: I know that if you win a battle before a KO'd character's countdown timer reaches zero they will survive and be restored, but if you don't revive them during the actual battle will they keep their experience and job points gained during the battle? Or will they be lost?

Well, this being my first Final Fantasy Tactics game, I don't think I understood how confusing and unintuitive this game would actually be.

I went through every single long ass tutorial and I still can't effectively back out of the damn fitting room or understand why the guy there seems to be charging me for my own clothes.

I know there is a game underneath that I can enjoy but all these little snags I've been hitting are really killing any fun I might gather from it.

I can see how this would be a fun game if only I could grasp how the hell you're supposed to play it "right". :-(

Edit: I guess I haven't had the proper time to sit down and focus on the game. Little road trip this weekend might bring me the focus I need. I just want it to do what I ask right away! Haha

TommyT

Eggo said:
What is a SSCC? You can beat the entire game with one character? Or just the last battle? Also, what makes throw so good?

A specific type of challenge: Solo Straight Character Challenge. Here is a specific FAQ on the topic.

Throw is good because you can cause a lot of damage from a great distance.

edit: I don't know if it's because of my device (iPod Touch 4G), because I'm not on the latest firmware, because I had a botched jailbreak, or whatever... but I'm one of those experiencing slowdown. It is worse than the PSP version for me in terms of the slowdown. This is becoming more of a "play while using the bathroom" type of game rather than as a mobile outlet for the game. It has sparked me into playing FFT for the PS1 though!

chris-013

TommyT said:
A specific type of challenge: Solo Straight Character Challenge. Here is a specific FAQ on the topic.

Throw is good because you can cause a lot of damage from a great distance.

edit: I don't know if it's because of my device (iPod Touch 4G), because I'm not on the latest firmware, because I had a botched jailbreak, or whatever... but I'm one of those experiencing slowdown. It is worse than the PSP version for me in terms of the slowdown. This is becoming more of a "play while using the bathroom" type of game rather than as a mobile outlet for the game. It has sparked me into playing FFT for the PS1 though!

Did you try to change the color as explained in the OP?

Jomjom

Banned
cackhyena said:
So torn still on whether to get this for my Touch or PSN.

Depends on if you have friends you would like to play with online. As far as I know the iOS version has no online play right? The PSP version will let you play ad-hoc with someone in person or online through the PS3's adhoc-party.

TommyT

chris-013 said:
Did you try to change the color as explained in the OP?
I played around with some settings, but I'll play around some more. I don't remember changing anything with colors so probably not.

edit: What does this do exactly? Just watched the video in the OP and my game surely doesn't perform that well.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Incitemaybe said:
I went through every single long ass tutorial and I still can't effectively back out of the damn fitting room or understand why the guy there seems to be charging me for my own clothes.

You're probably not backing out properly. IIRC there's a glitch with the menus where if you don't back out it'll ask if you want to buy them instead of just backing out. :/

chris-013

matt360 said:
Quick question: I know that if you win a battle before a KO'd character's countdown timer reaches zero they will survive and be restored, but if you don't revive them during the actual battle will they keep their experience and job points gained during the battle? Or will they be lost?

They die forever ! So it's like a reset for me :p

TheSeks said:
You're probably not backing out properly. IIRC there's a glitch with the menus where if you don't back out it'll ask if you want to buy them instead of just backing out. :/
Ya, I finally was able to leave by selecting quit instead of cancel, or the other way around.

Just got that battle menu to stop popping up everytime I make a selection on the field and now I think the game is actually set to play and not impede me :)

holy shit why did I not know about this

I've wanted to play the first Final Fantasy Tactics for ages now, and this is the PERFECT opportunity. The War of the Lions on PSN for a measly $10? FUKKEN GET

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Been playing the hell out of this game. Drained my ipad2 battery twice yesterday just playing FFT. At the end of chapter 2 and just got ninja and arithmetician when I'm at the Gafgarion fight. Never had an iPhone game drain my battery two times in one day, and it's not because the game sucks up battery. I just played it a ton.

Top Bottom