• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Yusaku

Clunker said:
This fight is the sole reason that, to this day, I obsessively stagger save files in my RPGs.

For newcomers who didn't read the spoiler: There are certain fights that will occur in sequence without giving you the chance to escape to a town or random battle to grind. You get the chance to save in between, but for the love of Jesus, do not overwrite your only save! You can bone yourself immensely if you've left Ramza or the rest of your party unprepared, if you run out of potions, etc.

My PS1 game was ruined because of this. I'm amazed that behavior is still present in the WotL version.

matt360

First time player here, although I have played Tactics Advance 1 and 2. So far I'm loving it, but the lack of retina display really hurts it in my opinion. I'm also liking the dialogue.

Are there any other tips besides keeping multiple saves and making everyone learn JP Boost early on that new players might easily miss out on. I can't remember exactly what it was, but I wanna say that there were things I didn't realize I could do in Tactics Advance until about halfway through the game because they were never explicitly explained. 100% my fault, but I remember feeling like I had wasted a LOT of time and made things a lot harder on myself.

Luigiv

How are the controls in the iOS version? Screenshots are giving me the impression of "grossly unoptimised". Should I get the PSP version instead?

Edit: I should probably also mention that my iOS device is a Touch, so no 10" screen.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Luigiv said:
How are the controls in the iOS version? Screenshots are giving me the impression of "grossly unoptimised". Should I get the PSP version instead?

Edit: I should probably also mention that my iOS device is a Touch, so no 10" screen.

The controls are great actually, no idea what you mean by grossly unoptimised. One of the nice touches is navigating menus - instead of having to tap a tiny word you can scroll your finger up and down top move the cursor, intuitive and perfect. Selecting movement tiles and attacks is also very easy and becomes second nature after an hour of so.

Of all the things to avoid the game for, controls are not one of them, they nailed that side IMO.

Luigiv

Jedeye Sniv said:
The controls are great actually, no idea what you mean by grossly unoptimised. One of the nice touches is navigating menus - instead of having to tap a tiny word you can scroll your finger up and down top move the cursor, intuitive and perfect. Selecting movement tiles and attacks is also very easy and becomes second nature after an hour of so.

Of all the things to avoid the game for, controls are not one of them, they nailed that side IMO.
Oh cool. You kind of just answered what I meant by grossly unoptimised (tiny text that looks hard to tap) but if you dont have to tap it thats fine then.

Mikeside

The_Endgamer said:
lol @ the cheap-ass iOS gamers,
$1.99 or else!

Some of NeoGaf can sure be hypocritical at times, lolololol

I bought it, but I really don't think it should've been more than $5 considering the age and availability elsewhere.

Clunker

Psy-Phi said:
Which I think is worse personally. I hope the iPad version doesn't do this.

There's still very slight slow down during spells (like on the PSP version) but not nearly as bad. Of course, that could just be the missing frames screwing with my eyes.
It's definitely still inexcusable for a port that's so late, but FWIW, I've been comparing the way it runs on my iPhone 4 to the way my UMD version runs, and I will gladly take the frame skipping and overall quicker pace over the glacial PSP version. I'd kind of forgotten how rough it was (and I was running it off of a memory stick last time I played it), but man, that shit is rough.

The game is so good that it outshines the tech problems, but it's still kind of bullshit that it has so many tech problems. :/

Clunker

finalozzo said:
i'm a level 5 knight, why can't i use the samurai job?
from this you need at least a level 4 knight.
http://i53.tinypic.com/14bpbwk.jpg
Follow all of the arrows: Samurai needs Knight 4, Monk 5, Dragoon 2, and Ninja needs Archer 4, Thief 5, Geomancer 2. These are pretty powerful classes, which is why the requirements are so high. Ninjas are amazing because of their native dual wielding and high speed, and the Samurai Draw Out skills are pretty great (though mad expensive since you need spare samurai swords for it).

TheMan

Has anyone tried running this on an old iphone 3G? Is it at all playable? (I know the specs recommend 3GS or newer but I'm curious).

Jedeye Sniv said:

While the touch controls are definitely well tuned and the game is quite playable this way, I still feel navigation is slower than pad/buttons. Especially for tile selection, which can get pretty finicky. Personally, I'd still prefer traditional controls if given the option.

Finalow

ok, thanks. It's pretty long, and now i don't want to use monk, he can't equip. the golden set.
btw is mime good? (i'm thinking to master at level 8 my chemist)
no, nvm, it needs squire 8 too. =|

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
lunchwithyuzo said:
While the touch controls are definitely well tuned and the game is quite playable this way, I still feel navigation is slower than pad/buttons. Especially for tile selection, which can get pretty finicky. Personally, I'd still prefer traditional controls if given the option.

Good luck waiting for that iPhone with buttons on it then :) Having not played the other versions I can't talk to how it compares, I just know that the version I have is perfectly playable, I never feel held back by them at all. Even the selection issues can be easily negated if you play smart.

Skilletor

Jedeye Sniv said:
Good luck waiting for that iPhone with buttons on it then :) Having not played the other versions I can't talk to how it compares, I just know that the version I have is perfectly playable, I never feel held back by them at all. Even the selection issues can be easily negated if you play smart.

lol....There are a couple other versions available that you can play with pads and buttons :p

I'm kind of hoping that with the iPad's larger screen you won't have to scroll through options and you CAN just touch the thing you want.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Skilletor said:
lol....There are a couple other versions available that you can play with pads and buttons :p

I'm kind of hoping that with the iPad's larger screen you won't have to scroll through options and you CAN just touch the thing you want.

Aye, and that's the problem with this thread - compare compare compare. I'm starting to think that SE fans don't actually play the games they buy, they just compare differences and count frames :p

chris-013

TheMan said:
Has anyone tried running this on an old iphone 3G? Is it at all playable? (I know the specs recommend 3GS or newer but I'm curious).

You can't play on iphone 3G. One of the reason why I upgraded to iPhone 4.

evolkimchi

Neo Member
did anyone else buy this just to have it in their collection, with absolutely no intention of playing it again for the 20th time?

Jedeye Sniv said:
Oh, don't mistake me, I think the game's great and very playable, but the controls definitely slow the pace a little. I find myself messing with the camera way more in this version too, due to the finicky selection. Hold and drag does work better than selecting directly sometimes too, as you said there's ways around the issues, but it's still just slower.

It's a great port though, and the controls work great. It's like an apology for Secret of Mana, which was a travesty and really had no business on iOS.

chris-013

evolkimchi said:
did anyone else buy this just to have it in their collection, with absolutely no intention of playing it again for the 20th time?

No, still fun to kill time on public transport.

Skilletor

Jedeye Sniv said:
Aye, and that's the problem with this thread - compare compare compare. I'm starting to think that SE fans don't actually play the games they buy, they just compare differences and count frames :p

That's silly. It's a game that's 14 years old. Most people who wanted to play it by now have, extensively. There's a very good reason that people want to "count frames." If this version doesn't run as smooth as the others available, why purchase it?

It's no different than the PS3/360 multiplat threads. People with the option to buy it on multiple platforms want to know which version is the best. And, you know, the person who made the title DID put PSPgo in the title.

I spent way too much time this weekend obsessing over FFT. I was looking at class guides on gamefaqs and watching Single Class Challange playthroughs on youtube. Can't wait for (hopefully) a refreshed touch line in September. I'm planning a Black Mage Ramza with Draw Out this time around

Also, I updated the OP with a review: Touch Arcade Review - "A Touchy Port"

I had the same feeling loading up the iOS version as I did the first time on PS1 — puzzled and unsure of exactly what to think about it.
Your enjoyment is going to come based partially on which generation of device you own.
As far as the touch implementation is concerned, it's a mixed bag.
no matter how you cut it, if Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions on your phone is all you want, you'll be able to deal with all the issues.

bubnbob

Banned
evolkimchi said:

uh. why would you do that? give me $15 so i can buy it and enjoy it for the 20th time, then.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Skilletor said:
That's silly. It's a game that's 14 years old. Most people who wanted to play it by now have, extensively. There's a very good reason that people want to "count frames." If this version doesn't run as smooth as the others available, why purchase it?

It's no different than the PS3/360 multiplat threads. People with the option to buy it on multiple platforms want to know which version is the best. And, you know, the person who made the title DID put PSPgo in the title.

This argument is silly too though. Yes it is an older game but not one that everyone has played by a longshot. It's old and so there are entirely generations of gamers not playing when it was released (some not even born yet, horrible thought). It's in a weird sub-genre that lots of gamers may not have played as well. Personally, I wasn't playing PS1 games in that era (was all about PC gaming in the 90s) so never got to play it. Don't have PSP either and so didn't play it on there.

Every massive game still has thousands if not millions of players that have never tried it. I don't even think FFT is a massive game so it stands to reason there must be a lot of people that never played it. I just wonder where those people are.

And there is a good reason why people count frames and res lines, it's because people are pedantic and boring! It explains why there have entire forums full of metally ill people counting lines in images. It's not so much about making sure you have the best version (because that's really important), it's more to do with that deeply nerdy need to be able to proclaim one better than the other and yourself on the winning team, as if it matters.

I think the lack of new players probably says more about the hardcore-skew of GAF than anything else though, as I'm sure a lot of people here did play it on PS1. But then again, I'm hardcore too but I skipped that gen. There must be more of us around here, surely?

EDIT: I don;'t mean to sound so snarky above, but the "everyone must have played it already" argument just doesn't sit with me at all. There are always new audiences, especially decades on.

Skilletor

Sure, always going to be new audiences. Doubt there will be as large an audience willing to play an old game as there was an audience for the game when it originally released.

I stand by my assessment. It's 14 years old and recently saw a re-release on PSP. I didn't say everybody had played it. I said most who wanted to already had. FFT is a pretty amazing game. The SRPG genre is pretty niche itself within the JRPG category. Most people with an interest in SRPGs have probably already played FFT in some form.

You'll notice that the PSP thread for WotL was only 12 pages.

Edit: And I don't really see any fanboy sentiments regarding framerate in here. I see legit questions from people who are interested in playing the game again.

I'm waiting on the iPad version because I already have the game on PSP and don't feel the iPod version offers anything over that.

At what point will this game allow me to enter the menu to change my game settings?

I keep hitting "menu" everytime I can and do not receive the option.

Also, I'm barely at the second battle where there is only two of us, me and Delitia or something like that. I just died because I couldn't heal myself, I don't recall having the option to buy potions or anything......

Ya, I'm new at this ;-)

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
Incitemaybe said:
At what point will this game allow me to enter the menu to change my game settings?

I keep hitting "menu" everytime I can and do not receive the option.

Also, I'm barely at the second battle where there is only two of us, me and Delitia or something like that. I just died because I couldn't heal myself, I don't recall having the option to buy potions or anything......

Ya, I'm new at this ;-)

Really soon. You'll finish this fight with Delita and then the gameworld will open up a bit so you can mess with the settings.

A tip since you're new like I was: when you get to the map screen you'll be able to access your party roster. To use potions and such you'll need to buy some at the shop and then you'll notice that you have a chemist character. IIRC he can use potions right off the bat, but you'll need to have him learn how to use more useful potions like Phoenix Down ASAP. When you select a character in the party Roster screen press 'Menu' and then select 'abilities' from the list. You can then have your chemist learn more potions to use. What is great in the early stages is having lots of your other characters learn the chemist skills too, that caught me out for a few hours when I started the game.

Thanks for the tips Jedeye :)

I can't seem to beat the second fight :-( i dont think I understand how to win yet.
My two dudes just get slaughtered everytime.

Going to try again......

Incitemaybe said:
Thanks for the tips Jedeye :)

I can't seem to beat the second fight :-( i dont think I understand how to win yet.
My two dudes just get slaughtered everytime.

Going to try again......
It's been a long time since I played the game, but don't you have other characters besides Ramza and Delita for that battle? Are you sure you're actually including them in the battle?

DiipuSurotu said:
It's been a long time since I played the game, but don't you have other characters besides Ramza and Delita for that battle? Are you sure you're actually including them in the battle?
You, good sir, solved my problem. I didn't realize I could pick more people to join me beforehand.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Honestly, I think FFT is too hard-core for its own good. The tutorial is daunting, the stuff you have to 'know' is a lot. I can see how people new to the game get completely smoked. Nobody tells you when selecting a party that you should go into a battle with more than Ramza, and it's not obvious you can add the rest of your party right away.

Nobody tells you to heal, you have to equip the item skill and spend the JP to learn "potion." FFT is a great game with super-deep play mechanics, but if you're new to it, it'll eat you alive. That's not even getting to the hard fights which seem impossible if you didn't grind a bit beforehand or know the winning strategy from playing before.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Rpgmonkey said:
Have the cursor over an ability and press help.

Thanks for this. Another tip that may or may not have been mentioned... When you're casting a magic spell, hit the right arrow near the spell and it will show the turnlist, so you'll see when your spell goes off. Helpful for making sure your target is where it should be when casting the higher level spells.

evilgreg

Neo Member
Anyone here playing on a 3GS? I heard it gets better performance on that device for some reason and wanted to verify.

Magnus

Alright, am I gonna be the first one to say it?

Game really doesn't look and run so hot on an iPhone 4. Lots of little slowdown all over the place (it's almost as bad -- or maybe worse overall? -- than the crushing slowdown of single spellcasts in the PSP version).

And man, does it seem horizontally stretched out to anyone else? I mean, just to a small degree, but it's there.

I still dig having it on my phone with me wherever I go, but somehow, it's just not the greatest port.

Love that it's sped up overall, but still too slow for my tastes. Guess SRPGs just aren't for me.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
Magnus said:
Alright, am I gonna be the first one to say it?

Game really doesn't look and run so hot on an iPhone 4. Lots of little slowdown all over the place (it's almost as bad -- or maybe worse overall? -- than the crushing slowdown of single spellcasts in the PSP version).

And man, does it seem horizontally stretched out to anyone else? I mean, just to a small degree, but it's there.

I still dig having it on my phone with me wherever I go, but somehow, it's just not the greatest port.

Love that it's sped up overall, but still too slow for my tastes. Guess SRPGs just aren't for me.
Did you turn off Target Colors?

I'm not noticing any slowdown on an iPad2 with that setting off.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Jedeye Sniv said:
I think the lack of new players probably says more about the hardcore-skew of GAF than anything else though, as I'm sure a lot of people here did play it on PS1. But then again, I'm hardcore too but I skipped that gen. There must be more of us around here, surely?

Curious: Why does it matter so much to you that there should be newer players playing this?

EDIT: I don;'t mean to sound so snarky above, but the "everyone must have played it already" argument just doesn't sit with me at all. There are always new audiences, especially decades on.

Sure, but FFT is a 14 year old game. Most of the people that are going to come into the FFT threads online are probably the type to have played it on PSX or PSP several years ago. Those people comparing the types because the PSP's slowdown was disappointing and what stopped it from being "definitive" for them is an issue with this port. Why does it bother you (or other people) that they want to talk about that?

AuthenticM said:
You know how Sony said the Vita would "enhance" PSP games? I wonder if playing Tactics on it would remove the slowdown...

Once again: No, overclocking CFW PSP's to 333mhz doesn't prevent the slowdown. It's a emulated engine-coded thing that did it. Moving it to the PSP2 isn't magically going to remove that flaw. Square should've and could've gone back in and fixed the flaw, but they probably never will.

Frankly, you shouldn't be casting too many spells anyway after a certain point for this to be an issue.

Eggo said:
Honestly, I think FFT is too hard-core for its own good. The tutorial is daunting, the stuff you have to 'know' is a lot. I can see how people new to the game get completely smoked. Nobody tells you when selecting a party that you should go into a battle with more than Ramza, and it's not obvious you can add the rest of your party right away.

You can say that for most Matsuno games in general. FFT, TO, VS... Was FFTA/A2 done by Matsuno? Because I think the only Matsuno game I've played otherwise that didn't have a tutorial but didn't need it was FF12 and that didn't need it bar the Gambit system that was easy enough to learn if you skipped the tutorial.

TheSeks said:
Frankly, you shouldn't be casting too many spells anyway after a certain point for this to be an issue.
Sure, but it's not only the spells that are affected. Using an item results in slowdown. It's just frustrating. I think I'll stick with Tactics Ogre.

matt360

Wow, this game is a lot tougher than I expected. I remember the first few fights in Tactics Advance being extremely easy. But if you're not careful here you can get wiped out in the first few fights.

Also, extremely ignorant question, but what exactly does "turning off target colors" do? As in the moving spaces being blue and targeting spaces being red?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
TheSeks said:
Curious: Why does it matter so much to you that there should be newer players playing this?

Sure, but FFT is a 14 year old game. Most of the people that are going to come into the FFT threads online are probably the type to have played it on PSX or PSP several years ago. Those people comparing the types because the PSP's slowdown was disappointing and what stopped it from being "definitive" for them is an issue with this port. Why does it bother you (or other people) that they want to talk about that?

It's not like it matters all that much, it would just be nice to read some impressions by people that haven't played the game a million times.

And the slowdown talk doesn't bother me so much as bore me. Yes there is slowdown. Said slowdown is greatly greatly reduced if you turn off target colours. It's reduced so much that I hardly notice it any more. What else is there to say? It's a dull conversation. Either there is a problem and it sucks and there is nothing that can be done, or there is not a problem, in which case play and have fun. Is there really much else to say about it?

Finalow

i'm stuck here.
Battle 18: Golgollada Gallows - Gaffgarion (lv 17 Fell Knight) + 6 vs 5.
Time mages cast hasteja, then fira, Gaffgarion has that fucking blood sword and knights rent my fucking euip. I'm going to drop this game, yeah. And OF COURSE my dragoon hasn't a spear because i'm stuck and i can't buy it.

PittaGAF

For what it's worth I never played FFT before on any platform (never owned a PSX or a PSP, more a PC type), bought it Saturday and since then I wasn't able to put it off.

I find it simply AMAZING

The story, the depth, the custscenes, the gameplay (a bit hard to grasp and difficult at the start but I'm getting there), the convinience having it always with me with no loading screen and fast AI, the imho perfect interface after you tinker with the extended options you get when you arrive at the World map (the default controls you get in the first 2 battles are a bit clumsy and there is a useless option that slow down things...something about colored visual aid to discern enemies), everything...

Great game, really.

Yesterday following the main path, all of a sudden with no loading or warnings, I was granted with a mini 2-minutes 'Miyazaki' movie...I was in love!

Magnus

Eggo said:
Did you turn off Target Colors?

I'm not noticing any slowdown on an iPad2 with that setting off.
They're off by default. I fiddled with many things, including target colors, and yeah, when I turned them on, it slowed down considerably.

There's still chugginess all over the place regardless.

Dunan

finalozzo said:
i'm stuck here.
Battle 18: Golgollada Gallows - Gaffgarion (lv 17 Fell Knight) + 6 vs 5.
Time mages cast hasteja, then fira, Gaffgarion has that fucking blood sword and knights rent my fucking euip. I'm going to drop this game, yeah. And OF COURSE my dragoon hasn't a spear because i'm stuck and i can't buy it.

I might be remembering wrong, but I found a way to win this battle while alternately feeling like a genius and a cheater:
recruit a black chocobo and fly it to the top of the gallows with someone capable of hitting Gaffgarion with projectiles riding it. I don't think he can reach you up there.

Top Bottom