• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy Tactics: The War of the Lions |OT2| Now on iPad, iPhone & PSPGo / Vita

Leeness

Okay, I think I'm missing something here. :/

I want to go to the options and turn off the pop up confirmations, and change it so I can hit anywhere for OK.

I don't see it in the options anywhere, though. Is it supposed to be the options from the main menu? There's also battle options in the battle screen, but it's not there either.

So...where is this other options menu where I can do all these other things?

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
It's the other options :p Press 'Menu' on the map screen and go to Options there. While you're there turn off "Target Colors", "Battle Prompts" and turn "Touch Activated Menu Items" on. Much faster.

Leeness

Oooh, okay I haven't been to the map screen yet, haha. I'm still at the very beginning and looking for these things.

Time to play longer and make it to the map screen, haha. Thanks.

Jedeye Sniv

Banned
chris-013 said:
I just find out you can listen to your own playlist while playing the game. ^^

Yeah, for all of the legit complaints about the graphics for the game I'm really impressed with the iPhone useability stuff they got right. Resume works perfectly so I can pick up and play in short bursts and iPod support is in too. These are my two biggest issues when games get it wrong, so I'm really happy to play this.

I feel totally in the swing of things now, got a good little team and am having fun experimenting with the new classes. I like the Chemist perk where you can throw potions, that was the only thing holding me back from turning my chemist into a mage. Things like this make messing around with jobs rewarding rather than in FF3 where it always felt like I was wasting progress while switching jobs.

Still would like to hear from more people that are playing this for the first time, there must be more of is? Was this game only hotly anticipated by people that had played it already?

ramyeon said:
Grinding for JP and levels is such a slow process, especially with Chemists and White Mages, and I'm only just at the beginning of the game in Dorter :( Am I doing something wrong?
It's a slow start, but easy after you set things up.
Learn the squire move Accumulate and JP Boost and put it as your secondary (I do this with all the characters). Learn the knight moves such as power break and speed break.

Now kill all the enemies, but 1. Power break and speed break the hell out of the enemy until the stats are 1 or near that. Spam Accumulate. You can also train somebody's class JP with another character. A Squire with Knight unlocked will get a tiny portion of JP from a knight that's grinding as well. I do my JP grinding in separate class because of this.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
The JP system is the worst. As much as I hate FF9's weapon learning system, it worked better for Tactics Advance. Simply win shorter battles and eventually you get stuff you can use for all classes nearly.

cabottemp

Banned
I bought this and once it started downloading I immediately regretted it. I wanted the iPad version, I'm not playing it on my iPhone. And I know there won't be a way to transfer saves, so I'm just not even going to bother with it. Fuck.

Syril

Crakatak187 said:
It's a slow start, but easy after you set things up.
Learn the squire move Accumulate and JP Boost and put it as your secondary (I do this with all the characters). Learn the knight moves such as power break and speed break.

Now kill all the enemies, but 1. Power break and speed break the hell out of the enemy until the stats are 1 or near that. Spam Accumulate. You can also train somebody's class JP with another character. A Squire with Knight unlocked will get a tiny portion of JP from a knight that's grinding as well. I do my JP grinding in separate class because of this.

This version is War of the Lions, so that skill is called Focus instead.

Finalow

the enemy's level is based on ramza's level? If yes i can put him in an angle to do nothing and gain levels with the rest of the party, so the game will be pretty easy.

RedSwirl

Damn. I wanna wait for the iPad version, but now every few minutes of idleness makes me look at the game at the app store. This is what the Apple environment has done!

cabottemp

Banned
RedSwirl said:
Damn. I wanna wait for the iPad version, but now every few minutes of idleness makes me look at the game at the app store. This is what the Apple environment has done!

Don't do it.

I did it and regret it

Link Man

Banned
finalozzo said:
the enemy's level is based on ramza's level? If yes i can put him in an angle to do nothing and gain levels with the rest of the party, so the game will be pretty easy.
Oh god, I miss the :lol at times like these.

Nix

Banned
finalozzo said:

Friendly warning; Prepare to die.

The thing I love most about games like these, are, it's not 1 against 1000 or even 100, the enemies usually fairly number your own party and reflect that in skill.

In other words, if your highest is Ramza, and you're making him sit back and do nothing, prepare for a goddamn hard won fight. You better pray your mage can stick out some moves man.

Is it me, or were regular knights void for anyone else? I found dragoons to be better actually. God, I miss playing tactics. Levelling everyone's classes up to at least 8, and then doing the same for newcomers. God, such a waste of time, yet it doesn't feel like it. Never got black Knight though. Well~ I didn't need him anyway.

Clunker

-Pyromaniac- said:
I love that fight because it's so damn easy for experienced players but a goddamn absolute nightmare for the noobs.
This fight is the sole reason that, to this day, I obsessively stagger save files in my RPGs.

For newcomers who didn't read the spoiler: There are certain fights that will occur in sequence without giving you the chance to escape to a town or random battle to grind. You get the chance to save in between, but for the love of Jesus, do not overwrite your only save! You can bone yourself immensely if you've left Ramza or the rest of your party unprepared, if you run out of potions, etc.

Utako

Banned
Clunker said:
This fight is the sole reason that, to this day, I obsessively stagger save files in my RPGs.

For newcomers who didn't read the spoiler: There are certain fights that will occur in sequence without giving you the chance to escape to a town or random battle to grind. You get the chance to save in between, but for the love of Jesus, do not overwrite your only save! You can bone yourself immensely if you've left Ramza or the rest of your party unprepared, if you run out of potions, etc.
Yep yep yep!

I remember muscling through a couple battles like that. It's totally possible to be under-leveled, but you can get away with it to an extent through sharp tactics.

I remembered my
second battle with Wiegraf

I barely made it past the first part and near the end of the second battle all but one person was near death (crystal turning point) and I got a lucky shot in.
My rematches were plan easy though. I used squire moves to buff up my stats and Monk moves to heal myself. Pretty much Monk with Squire secondary. I also had HP Critical to save some turns.
I spammed speed buffs until I got double turns and then spam physical buffs. One shot both Wiegraf and his monster form afterwards.

Rpgmonkey

So tell me GAF so I can see if I should be annoyed or not: If Agrias disappears does she come back or is it permanent like with a generic unit?

During the battle against
Gaffgarion at the castle gate
she died and I decided to restart the battle. I did a lot better in the second attempt (my Black Mage actually managed to get a spell in this time so it was a lot easier) so I don't exactly regret it, but I want to know if the main reason I restarted wasn't needed.

Fusebox

Banned
For some reason the iPhone version looks surprisingly acceptable in 2x mode on the iPad. I thought it would be a blurry mess but its easier to read than on the iPhone.

Clunker

Rpgmonkey said:
So tell me GAF so I can see if I should be annoyed or not: If Agrias disappears does she come back or is it permanent like with a generic unit?

During the battle against
Gaffgarion at the castle gate
she died and I decided to restart the battle. I did a lot better in the second attempt (my Black Mage actually managed to get a spell in this time so it was a lot easier) so I don't exactly regret it, but I want to know if the main reason I restarted wasn't needed.
Generally, guest characters (the AI controlled ones) won't perma-die; you can tell this because when they fall, instead of a number countdown hanging over their heads, there will be just some stars floating above them. If you are actually controlling the character, though, they'll probably be gone for good. I forget exactly what state Agrias is at that point, but if someone disappears from the battlefield and leaves a crystal or chest, that means they're dead permanently.

Huff

Banned
So I'm about an hour in. Really enjoying it after figuring out some of the basics and doing a tutorial or two. No problems running it with the iphone 4.

Any tips for the first time player?

burgerdog

BroHuffman said:
So I'm about an hour in. Really enjoying it after figuring out some of the basics and doing a tutorial or two. No problems running it with the iphone 4.

Any tips for the first time player?

Learn to beat and heal yourself as much as you can whenever you get the upper-hand in battle and enemies retreat. Leave one up and farm some JP.

Clunker

burgerdog said:
Learn to beat and heal yourself as much as you can whenever you get the upper-hand in battle and enemies retreat. Leave one up and farm some JP.
As mentioned before, spend some time as Squires and get everyone the JP Boost ability, which increases job points gained. You get JP for every single action, so yes, a good tactic is to have your party beat on each other (or a creature with a heal power like a Chocobo) for job boosting. I typically have my dudes throw rocks or do Rush attacks, something that has really low attack power; you can Focus or do a healing ability too, but sometimes those own abiliiesncan be expensive to learn.

I forget the exact values, but you shouldn't always do both a move and an action for each turn if you want to win a battle faster. If you keep your party members stationary but still attack, for example, your AT bar will fill up faster and your turn will pop up again sooner than if you did both a move and an action that turn. The AI will always do both, so if you're smart about placement, you'll generally get more turns and be able to take more actions.

Also, when enemy human characters die and leave crystals, the party member who picks it up has a choice of two benefits: a) full HP/MP refill, or b) learn one new ability at random that the dead character had. So if you encounter an enemy summoner, and your have one of your party members pick up his crystal, there's a chance he'll learn a free summon (which could be worth hundreds of JP).

There's a ton of nuances to the battle system, so it'll take a long while to really figure it out fully and find a party balance you like. Just enjoy it. :)

Forkball

How can you tell how one weapon compares to another in strength and abilities? Nothing shows up when you scroll through the weapon list.

I'm only a few battles in, but there is some noticeable slowdown. Not awful, but it's still there. And I didn't know there were perma-deaths in this game. I forsee a lot of restarts in my future. Also I wish I could pick the name and gender of my team instead of being assigned random people.

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
entrement said:
Why didn't square release all the iOS versions at once? Man, that company makes the weirdest decisions.
Because they're redoing the sprites for iPad, and that takes time.

Is there a way to tell what an ability does in-game when deciding which ability to spend JP on? I don't want to have to refer to a FAQ to figure out what something does. Was hoping you could hold on the ability and have a description, but that doesn't seem to work.

amrihua

Eggo said:
Because they're redoing the sprites for iPad, and that takes time.

But doesn't the iPhone/iPod touch version support retina displays? Why would they need to redo the sprites? The sprites are already high resolution.

Rpgmonkey

Clunker said:
Generally, guest characters (the AI controlled ones) won't perma-die; you can tell this because when they fall, instead of a number countdown hanging over their heads, there will be just some stars floating above them. If you are actually controlling the character, though, they'll probably be gone for good. I forget exactly what state Agrias is at that point, but if someone disappears from the battlefield and leaves a crystal or chest, that means they're dead permanently.

Ah okay, so it was worth restarting.

Forkball said:
How can you tell how one weapon compares to another in strength and abilities? Nothing shows up when you scroll through the weapon list.

I'm only a few battles in, but there is some noticeable slowdown. Not awful, but it's still there. And I didn't know there were perma-deaths in this game. I forsee a lot of restarts in my future. Also I wish I could pick the name and gender of my team instead of being assigned random people.

Have the cursor over a weapon and press help.

You can go to the Warrior's Guild if you want to rebuild your party and get new genders/names.

Eggo said:
Is there a way to tell what an ability does in-game when deciding which ability to spend JP on? I don't want to have to refer to a FAQ to figure out what something does. Was hoping you could hold on the ability and have a description, but that doesn't seem to work.

Have the cursor over an ability and press help.

To beat the super hard wiegraf fight and make it super easy,
all you seriously need is auto-potion (only x potions in inventory), and the buff 'Yell". Then just run away and use it a shitton of times. Then eventually Ramza will have like 9 turns in a row lol,
makes the whole fight a joke.

Piecake

-Pyromaniac- said:
To beat the super hard wiegraf fight and make it super easy,
all you seriously need is auto-potion (only x potions in inventory), and the buff 'Yell". Then just run away and use it a shitton of times. Then eventually Ramza will have like 9 turns in a row lol,
makes the whole fight a joke.

What I remember doing is getting absolutely pwned the first time I faced him, leveled up my Lancer bit and went all out attack bonuses equipment wise, and then killed him in two jumps. I feel that is a less pansy way than doing it your way ;)

Finalow

mh, i didn't play fft, what's the difference with this?
''The game is an updated version of Final Fantasy Tactics'' uh?

Eggo

GameFan Alumnus
amrihua said:
But doesn't the iPhone/iPod touch version support retina displays? Why would they need to redo the sprites? The sprites are already high resolution.
Not playing on an iPhone4, but people seem to be saying it doesn't have retina support, despite what the devs say.

How does the slowdown for the iPhone version compare to the PSP? This is pretty important, as the hideous slowdown rendered the PSP version unplayable for me.

Testicle

Banned
gatotsu911 said:
How does the slowdown for the iPhone version compare to the PSP? This is pretty important, as the hideous slowdown rendered the PSP version unplayable for
me.

There's no slowdown, the game just skips frames.

Psy-Phi

Testicle said:
There's no slowdown, the game just skips frames.
Which I think is worse personally. I hope the iPad version doesn't do this.

There's still very slight slow down during spells (like on the PSP version) but not nearly as bad. Of course, that could just be the missing frames screwing with my eyes.

Top Bottom