• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

fireflame

But weapons in ff7 are precisely dealt with suummons no? Knights of the round table *2 + the materia to reproduce the move and 7777 combo?

For rubi you start fight with 7677 hp and drink a basic potion to get 7777 when needed+ same summoning strategy?

Renmyra

I'm sorry but this is bullshit,sounds like you watched 3 min of gameplay on youtube and reached that conclusion.

It's actually very true. Also, if you're having trouble with bosses, you can cheese them with (almost) infinite Quickenings.

Fou-Lu

I never realized the hate between action and turn based RPG fans until FF7 Remake was shown. I like turn based more, but a good action RPG battle system can be a lot of fun and I am not going to automatically assume the game will be trash with one. I am basically expecting a weightier Kingdom Hearts with a bit of Crisis Core mixed in and I would love that.

But weapons in ff7 are precisely dealt with suummons no? Knights of the round table *2 + the materia to reproduce the move and 7777 combo?

For rubi you start fight with 7677 hp and drink a basic potion to get 7777 when needed+ same summoning strategy?
there are a lot of options for fighting the weapons. I've come up with several ways of beating them. Yuffie with counterattack spam on ruby is my favorite. A lot of FFVII's combat depth comes in prep and creativity with the materia, not once the fight begins. This is what I wanted to see the remake fix. Make the battles themselves more dynamic. Instead they just changed genres

Nauren

I never realized the hate between action and turn based RPG fans until FF7 Remake was shown. I like turn based more, but a good action RPG battle system can be a lot of fun and I am not going to automatically assume the game will be trash with one. I am basically expecting a weightier Kingdom Hearts with a bit of Crisis Core mixed in and I would love that.

Stop making sense. Logic and reason has no place here.

Fuck yeah. KH style please.

Yup, this (essentially the original Versus concept with it's multi-controllable characters) battle system is what I've expected and I'm good with it. We pretty much knew it'd be more on the action rpg side since the beginning.

Yeah. Plus character switching like in the gameplay trailer, I'm good with this.
Which hopefully really makes it in since it's pretty essential for this one since everyone has their favorite FF7 characters.

RPG mechanic =/= RPG game

Call of Duty has RPG mechanics, that ain't no RPG.
Call of Duty is obviously a shooter which is a completely different genre. The games I listed are action-rpgs and it's kind of silly IMO to disqualify them because they don't meet your pure standard. Somehow Tales and Bloodborne count but not DMC or Bayonetta? Is it because there's no levels? RPG is a wide umbrella.

I'm just surprised it's still happening for this game it's been two years we knew this already

I try.

Persona sucks too :p
You should be ashamed

Lothar

Banned
I'm sorry but this is bullshit,sounds like you watched 3 min of gameplay on youtube and reached that conclusion.

I recorded myself playing FF12 for 30 hours. At no point in a non-boss fight did I ever have to do anything but let the three characters attack. I gave them all the most powerful sword available at the time. That's all it takes to demolish everything.

Exentryk

Final Fantasy versus VII
i'm ok with this

CoarseOrangeHookersealion.gif

-NeoTB1-

This is not surprising. Still, I largely prefer turn-based to action combat systems. I guess I'm just "old-school" that way. It won't change the fact that I'll play (and probably enjoy) the remake. This game was always much more than just the combat system anyways.

Yeah, I am fine with this. We knew it. I hope there are some strategic elements, it would be a mistake to completely jetison some of the traditional strengths of the series...

Talking about Persona? Hmm is it GOTY because of its battle system? Because let's get real, for 3 and 4 I don't see anyone singing their praises for their battle system.
Hey I never said it was only because of its battle system. I'd try a action based persona..
*Ducks the fans incoming

kennyamr

Well, this was pretty obvious, it wasn't going to be just animation of him running around without our direct input. Of course it is an action based system.

It won't be completely action like FFXV though. He also said that before.

I like Action RPGs, like Nier, because they are well done. FFXV's battle system was simplistically weird... "Press this button for automatic attacks, Just hold it, yes that's it..." That was weird and one of my least favorites I've played.

Whoever thinks that pressing and holding a single button to fight is enough for a game, hasn't played any FF that came before when they were released.

RDreamer

Hopefully it's something better than the trash in FFXV, which was hands down the worst Final Fantasy battle system and one of the worst ARPG systems I've ever played...

Renmyra

How are people who absolutely despise turn-based even into the FF franchise? And why are some people acting like it's the end of the world?

fireflame

Modern gaming relieson power fantasy(a lot) and in many action rpgs you feel powerful quickly.(shadow of mordor for example).

In Turn based fights you build up your power more slowly, and maybe this is not compatible with the definition of "epicness" modern players crave for(or that is what people in the industry assume).

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
I find turn based systems in any form other than playing Uno or Monopoly inherently boring as shit.

Systems requiring more direct, active input from the user are infinitely more enjoyable.

If it's turn based, it already sucks.
So basically you hated or ignored 90% of JRPG's before 2005..including FF1-10, Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, DQ, and a hundred others..What a shame.

I find turn based systems in any form other than playing Uno or Monopoly inherently boring as shit.

Systems requiring more direct, active input from the user are infinitely more enjoyable.

How is a turn based system inherently boring? Just because you're not allowed to mash buttons with reckless abandon? Games like Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Persona, Chrono Trigger, etc require a lot of thought and strategy. It engages your brain instead of twitch reflexes which isn't boring unless you hate thinking.

Modern gaming relieson power fantasy(a lot) and in many action rpgs you feel powerful quickly.(shadow of mordor for example).

In Turn based fights you build up your power more slowly, and maybe this is not compatible with the definition of "epicness" modern players crave for(or that is what people in the industry assume).

Great post and explanation

Kthulhu

Call of Duty is obviously a shooter which is a completely different genre. The games I listed are action-rpgs and it's kind of silly IMO to disqualify them because they don't meet your pure standard. Somehow Tales and Bloodborne count but not DMC or Bayonetta? Is it because there's no levels? RPG is a wide umbrella.

DMC and Bayo are character action games. Hell Bloodborne is a soulsborne game, which are practically their own genre.

Yeah they have similar elements, but they're about as close to an RPG as call of duty is.

Paracelsus

Nothing is worse than basically ripping fans off by demaking an old classic by upgrading the graphics but downgrading to a more recent vastly inferior gameplay system. That's why RE2make scares me.

shandy706

Sigh, I'm not a fan of action RPGs. I like my turn based combat and hoped FFVII would keep it.

Probably still play it though.

gngf123

You have quite clearly never touched a decent turn based combat system.

If done well it should require constant thought and strategy, and not be passive and boring. Competitive Pokémon, most turn based strategy games, SMT, Divinity: Original Sin, and others all manage this.

Also, for what it's worth: Persona's combat is not that good. It's a watered down, even more broken system than Press Turn.

DMC and Bayo are character action games. Hell Bloodborne is a soulsborne game, which are practically their own genre.

Yeah they have similar elements, but they're about as close to an RPG as call of duty is.
I disagree still but when you put it that way I can definitely see your point of view and it is valid. Thanks for elaborating.

I don't see it as a genre change, for one.

Whether you're clumsily standing on opposite sides of a bespoke arena taking turns swinging, or dashing around the open world where each button press means an attack, it's still an RPG. An improved and more exciting combat system doesn't make FF7r a game in a different genre.

There are many different genres of RPG. Bloodborne and Persona 5 aren't the same RPG genre, for example. Its the same as the way we have different genres for first and third person shooters

Edit : and I somehow.missed several pages of the thread when quoting this part of the conversation. Oops.

Sesha

They're making this game in the mid-to-late 2010s, not the mid-to-late 1990s. If they just made the same basic game again, what would be the point? I've been viewing this as "what if we made FF7 in 2017 instead of 1997?" since it was announced, because it's been pretty clear that's the angle they're taking, and good on them, IMO.

Why action RPG, then? Make it an FPS. After all, if simply making a turn-based RPG is a no go, any genre should fly. Never mind FPS, FF7R should be a puzzle platformer with rhythm game sequences instead of combat.

fireflame

I wonder if it will be possible to switch characters, like start a combo with Cloud sending an enemy in the air and then Barret uses his arm weapon, followed by Tifa who does a suplex,etc.

You have quite clearly never touched a decent turn based combat system.

If done well it should require constant thought and strategy, and not be passive and boring. Competitive Pokémon, most turn based strategy games, SMT, Divinity: Original Sin, and others all manage this.

How is a turn based system inherently boring? Just because you're not allowed to mash buttons with reckless abandon? Games like Pokémon, Fire Emblem, Persona, Chrono Trigger, etc require a lot of thought and strategy. It engages your brain instead of twitch reflexes which isn't boring unless you hate thinking.
Ive played ff7,chrono trigger, chrono cross, pokemon, resonance of fate and a few others. All trash. I know the genre isn't for me.

Same goes for the turn based strategy games.

Top Bottom