• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

Aw man shame a lot of ppl(not really a lot) probably won't even give it a try because it switched to action shame

See you all in the OT

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
Nothing is worse than basically ripping fans off by demaking an old classic by upgrading the graphics but downgrading to a more recent vastly inferior gameplay system. That's why RE2make scares me.

Why are you writing it off if you don't know how it'll play just yet? And there is nothing inherently worse about an action-based RPG than a turn-based one. Holding up the latter on a pedestal will be your downfall.

Ive played ff7,chrono trigger, chrono cross, pokemon, resonance of fate and a few others. All trash. I know the genre isn't for me.

Same goes for the turn based strategy games.

You could at least be more considerate in describing why you dislike a genre without calling it trash. Anyone of us could just say your taste is trash but that'd be just as ignorant to say. I dislike plenty of games that are highly regarded and despite the way I feel I can still recognize their merit.

They say they are going to remake a beloved turn-based RPG.
They turn it into an action game.
Fans of the turn-based RPG are told they were crazy to expect otherwise.

...welcome to NeoGAF.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Expected. But I don't understand why Square continues to run away from turned based. Square as we know it wouldn't exist if not for the success and love people had for those turned based RPGs. And this myth people like to float that turned based isn't fun or it's just too old now is complete and utter bullshit.

Nauren

Ive played ff7,chrono trigger, chrono cross, pokemon, resonance of fate and a few others. All trash. I know the genre isn't for me.

Then why are you in a FF7 thread then? Not trying to be an arse, but I tend to not visit threads about games I have no interest in.

We already knew this for over a year. Did Nomura say it with the sole intent of triggering GAF? lol
Link to Nomura, another dev, or square confirming a new battle system over a year ago? Because this is news to me but then again I haven't followed the game super closely.

Bulby

After replaying FF7 extensively on PS4. The only thing I think the game needs is a lot more end game content to test you.

Its a shame that in the North Crater theres some really cool materia to play with, but by that point the only enemies that are really testing are the 2 remaining WEAPONS.

Doubt any of that will really translate into the remake, but heres to hoping.

fireflame

Tbh i assimilated FF15 and FF7 remake as action rpgs and sometimes ended up mixing them, i can see why some people would associate them.

singhr1

People in here still trying to classify games by outdated genre stratifications.

Why? Really... Why?

Most games borrow heavily from multiple traditional genres and are often better for it.

Being turn-based vs action-based doesn't make a game inherently less of an RPG, though you have every right to not like action-based combat. That's fine.

Are cheese hamburgers not hamburgers? Is American English not English? Are dog puppies not dogs? Even pineapple pizza is pizza after all. Action RPGs are RPG.

Gameplay is completely different. Action RPGs are just unbalanced action games, they play nothing like RPGs.

gngf123

Okay I'm going to ignore that TBS comment, which is just completely ridiculous to a point that I almost think you are just trolling.

For the other games: I specifically said competitive Pokémon, because the single player doesn't teach you enough about the mechanics and is never difficult enough to require that understanding anyway. The result is that you can mostly beat the campaign by passively spamming the same few moves. This is probably what puts you and others off turn based combat, because far too many games get caught up in a loop where something like this happens. Either through bad turn based combat design, easy difficulty, or poor communication.

None of the other games I mentioned get caught up in that loop. There's also Sanctuary RPG for a game which deliberately breaks that loop entirely.

Kazuhira

I recorded myself playing FF12 for 30 hours. At no point in a non-boss fight did I ever have to do anything but let the three characters attack. I gave them all the most powerful sword available at the time. That's all it takes to demolish everything.

Vanilla version was pretty unbalanced so if you were talking about that version then i apologize.
I was thinking about the Zodiac version when i wrote that.

khaaan

Well difference of experience I can only say XIII was a total braindead experience for me. I never had any time where I had to stop and actually think about what paradigms to switch to the flow of battle was so simple it just happened all very automatically for me.

Is 13 not a turn based game? Either way, just like any other game the battle system would only shine in certain boss battles or optional side material.

Ydelnae

Lot of people (especially old school gamers) associate RPG or JRPG with the turn based system for a long time ago.

Not every RPG is Turn Based or Action, but every Turn Based RPG and Action RPG is a RPG, even if it seems that this logic statement is breaking some people's hearts lol

McNum

I counter this with try to beat any optional boss ever just mashing X. The hyperbole on both sides are absurd
Be careful making such claims about Final Fantasy 7. That battle system has been tweaked and analyzed so much that yes, you CAN actually walk up to Emerald Weapon and press X to win. Except, you know, pressing X is optional.

I would expect any remake to not allow that particular strategy to work, mind you, but it's stuff like this that makes Final Fantasy 7 endure. People actually care enough about the game to realize that if you kill over 65535 enemies with Vincent, his damage becomes infinite with the Death Penalty. Not the setting, not the characters. The system. The wonderfully open-ended and imminently breakable system. If you take the time first to set it all up, you can get some amazing little combos going, even on a less hyper-optimized level. Final Attack=Revive, anyone? Step it up one notch and do Final Attack=Phoenix, maybe?

And that's the fun of a turn based RPG system. Preparations over performance. First you win the fight, then you start it. If the boss fight has a possible losing outcome, you're doing it wrong.
FFX-2 had the best battle system. I said it!
In an ideal world, this would be the game we would be getting. FF7 with X-2's battle system. That would be amazing and worth buying a PS4 for. But what we're getting? Eh, if it ever comes to PC... on Steam. For 80% off, maybe. Otherwise, no.

Lanrutcon

To be fair, I don't really think they either style of combat will stop this project being a disaster. Its up against such a varied set of expectations that regardless of what they produce, there will be a lot of unhappy people.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Is 13 not a turn based game? Either way, just like any other game the battle system would only shine in certain boss battles or optional side material.

Yes it is? I think it might have gotten confusing but in the context of the conversation where I talked about it, it was more pertaining to FF battle systems as a whole and not TB vs Action.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Ive played ff7,chrono trigger. All trash. I know the genre isn't for me.

enough-internet-Dean-Winchester-supernatural.gif

Teletraan1

Banned
FFX-2 had the best battle system. I said it!

Yeah I would have liked to expand on that system and stick to ATB. I didn't like the combat of XV. I don't like KH. I liked FF1-XII. Party RPG + ARPG = shitshow. It becomes a bunch of automation with little to no control over party members. Should have just made Cloud Returns if they wanted to go the ARPG route or hire Platinum because Squares in house ARPG efforts are weak and pale in comparison to other ARPGs or even character action contemporaries.

LordKasual

Banned
After XV, i'm entirely cool with this.

Will be awesome to see the fights reimagined. Will also be awesome to control multiple party members and see them reimagined.

Tifa and Red XIII strike me as characters that will be interesting to control

Anyway this is already a typical hyperbolic FF thread so i guess there isn't much to see past the first page

eggandI

Banned
I'm not even talking "FFVII vs FFXV". I haven't played FFXV. I directly addressed "customization strategy" by saying I found it sort of brainless in FFVII and much of the depth there wasn't even really "meaningful" in the sense that it required you really think about it much, which is why I wasn't really feeling the "strategy" aspect of FFVII when I played it. (Which is why it's always lost on me when people bring it up as if it takes so much thought and strategy while all ARPGs in comparison are just mindless amirite) I think a lot of that customization could exist in an action oriented combat system too, so I'm not of the mind that this being action oriented automatically means we won't have customization.

Again, you are talking about difficulty. Strategy is the ability to form a course of action. It is a fact that FF7 had vastly more options for players to strategize with than FF15 does. A lot of that strategy could exist in an action combat system, sure, but it didn't in FF15 which is why people are worried and are bringing up the comparisons ITT. You said you haven't even played FF15 so what is even your point? Just being contrarian?

After XV, i'm entirely cool with this.

Will be awesome to see the fights reimagined. Will also be awesome to control multiple party members and see them reimagined.

Tifa and Red XIII strike me as characters that will be interesting to control

Anyway this is already a typical hyperbolic FF thread so i guess there isn't much to see past the first page
Ah don't leave let them scream at their clouds. Dude controlling red and cat tho...lol I can't imagine the attacks in my head can you?

Eccocid

Can we just make a sticky topic about what is an rpg, action rpg etc at gaf? Lately in every thread there is always a long discussion about genre bending games lol.

Top Bottom