• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake: Nomura Confirms Combat is Action Based

If you are going to level scale enemies, then having levels at all is pointless. Make it an action game. (Or purely equipment based.)
You're just proving my point. It's still an RPG.

Edit: Just realized this thread has turned from discussing the new combat system to trying to define RPG LOL

LordKasual

Banned
Ah don't leave let them scream at their clouds. Dude controlling red and cat tho...lol I can't imagine the attacks in my head can you?

I didn't even think about Cait Sith lol.

What about Enemy Materia, summons, <All> spells, 2/4x cut, ect? Something tells me some of it may not make it off the cutting room floor.

What if they remove the 3-character limit and just Star Ocean 5 it with your whole squad going in on enemies and you switching between them?

How will fights like the Shinra Elevator play out? Or Diamond Weapon? Will they still allow me to fight Rufus or that fat guy with the silly gun?

So many good things to spectulate on as a fan, but everyone here would rather assert how much they hate XV for not being turn based

shark sandwich

tenuously links anime, pedophile and incels
KH games has its share of QTEs :p

The funny thing is that QTEs are actually more interactive and require more skill than FF VII's battle system.

And at bottom, they're both about the same thing: watching some neat eye candy and seeing those big numbers flying all over the place.

I don't see how someone could say that QTEs are the bane of gaming, while at the same holding up basic + unchallenging turn-based combat as good gameplay

REmake is actually more a remaster... not the best example to choose from.
They actually changed the graphic and some puzzles, but the game is mostly the same (tank controls included, even with the choice to use the analog controls)
thats what a remake is. Theres no precedent for this "its a remake not a remaster" thing that pops up only when talking about FFVII

Resident Evil remake, Is still resident evil 1
Ratchet and Clank is still a third person action platformer (with heavy story modifications though)
Dead Or Alive Ultimate is still a 3D fighting game
Kingdom Hearts chain of memories, still a card based action game, though they swapped to 3D action
MGS Twin Snakes: Still a 3rd person stealth game
Metroid Zero Mission: Still a side scrolling action game
Odin Sphere Leifthrasir: Still a sidescrolling action game

I cant think of the name, but there was only one remake I remember people talking about that shifted genres from turn based rpg to action RPG, and it was universally panned. There is no precedence for this, remakes tend to be faithful to the genre of the game they are remaking.

It's honestly one of the worst RPG systems I've ever had the displeasure of using. It utterly fails on almost every front except being a bit flashy. There's no strategy, no encounter variation, barely any skills to use, it's a fucking mess with more than like 2 enemies, and they just throw everything out because it flat out doesn't work on larger encounters.

Fuck all that! Holding (preferably mashing) circle and watching shit fly across the screen with a few warp strikes for good measure is great fun. Mindlessly flashy, but at the same time very bulky and weighty. No substance to it at all and none needed, just straight up CHAOS

LordKasual

Banned
Oh and also, guys

If we're talking FF6 and onward, then there is no such thing as a "difficult" Final Fantasy game. They are all braindead if you have even a tiny grasp on its mechanics. Just about the only enemy i've ever been stuck on (outside of being 7 years old) has been Adel from FF8.

Final Fantasy post SNES era has never been about skill or difficulty. It's about spectacle.

If you want to play Final Fantasy and actually lose, go play Tactics. Or go raid endgame in XIV or something.

Trogdor1123

This disappoints me, I was hoping it to be more true to the original. I've said before that this was a deal breaker for me but I think I should reconsider. I will give it a chance.

Fuck yeah. KH style please.

This. If it has to be action, just do a normal action game like your best action games which are the KH series.

Please fuck off with the unresponsive XV system.
thats what a remake is. Theres no precedent for this "its a remake not a remaster" thing that pops up only when talking about FFVII

Ratchet and Clank is still a third person action platformer (with heavy story modifications though)
Kingdom Hearts chain of memories, still a card based action game, though they swapped to 3D action

I cant think of the name, but there was only one remake I remember people talking about that shifted genres from turn based rpg to action RPG, and it was universally panned. There is no precedence for this, remakes tend to be faithful to the genre of the game they are remaking.

100%.
This disappoints me, I was hoping it to be more true to the original. I've said before that this was a deal breaker for me but I think I should reconsider. I will give it a chance.

Agree as well.

lawnchair

Banned
when we were all talking about this fifteen years ago, is this what we were talking about? a final fantasy 7 action RPG?

this is what people wanted?

JayEH

Oh and also, guys

If we're talking FF6 and onward, then there is no such thing as a "difficult" Final Fantasy game. They are all braindead if you have even a tiny grasp on its mechanics. Just about the only enemy i've ever been stuck on (outside of being 7 years old) has been Adel from FF8.

Final Fantasy post SNES era has never been about skill or difficulty. It's about spectacle.

If you want to play Final Fantasy and actually lose, go play Tactics. Or go raid endgame in XIV or something.

7 in particular is really easy even compared to the others post 6.

fireflame

How would people react if it had been Vagrant's Story based? I loved the game though i admit i sometimes did no figure why i was doing only 1 hp damage or o dmg.

Lothar

Banned
Oh and also, guys

Nah, FFX and FF4 DS had good combat. Just those two though. I died plenty on them.

Roubjon

I'm so happy that it's action based. I'd rather have a new take on a classic than a 1:1 remake. Change is good.

TuXx

Wasn't this confirmed like a year ago? Are we actually regressing in terms of new info for this game?

LordKasual

Banned
7 in particular is really easy even compared to the others post 6.

I've personally never really cared. Final Fantasy seems to balance its enemies just enough so that your new abilities are enough to rip through them.

FF is good at giving you a significant enough challenge in the endgame bonus fights. Those are usually the areas where the game makes FULL use of its mechanics, and the strategy, skill and difficulty comes into play. (FFX is my favorite example of this).

I also appreciate FF's capacity to allow you to create your own challenge runs, though this really only started with FFX.

FFXII can go from absolutely braindead to panic-inducing difficult, all depending on how you configure the options. Full Speed + Active mode? Run up on the wrong mark/boss/enemy and prepare to get your ass handed to you. That game did not play around with status effects and enemy special attacks.

It was admittedly extremely difficult to actually GAME OVER in FFXII because your entire party had to be wiped out. But there were many, many, many situations where I was forced to retreat, or eat a game over screen.

Thank you so much Nomura. I worried about this since the game's announcement, because they didn't clearly say it was action-based. But now there it is! :D

Wasn't this confirmed like a year ago? Are we actually regressing in terms of new info for this game?

I swear we've had this thread at least 4, maybe 5 times. I literally thought this thread was going to be some kind of joke based on the title.

Dark_castle

yea, thats why REmake is a first person shooter. A remake doesnt put the game in a different genre

Says who? Also the remake is still the same genre as the original, that is role-playing game, RPG.

You're thinking of Lufia 2 remake on DS, and yes that wasn't a good one, but that doesn't mean it cannot be done really. There is no rule that forbids remake to change the battle system drastically, even if the convention is otherwise.

Arkeband

Banned
Oh and also, guys

7-12 still involved strategy, there isn't a single fight in FFXV outside maybe some of the 99 floor filler post-game dungeons where you have to actually think about what gear you're wearing or what weapons to use, your stack of potions and the grace period when you hit 0 HP will ensure you never die while you hold some O.

'but the old games u just pressed X', yeah, that's the select button for an entire command menu - a far cry from a singular attack button that doesn't even have button press combos in an ARPG.

FFXV's combat is only impressive to people who have never touched other ARPG's to understand how much it sucks.

Says who? Also the remake is still the same genre as the original, that is role-playing game, RPG.
action RPGs and turn based RPGs are far too different to consider one genre. They play nothing alike. RPG doesnt even make sense for games called RPGs most of the time, as its far better at describing a game like Mass Effect than a game like final fantasy. Its a near worthless descriptor, attached to any game with stat growths.

I agree with you--the gameplay of the remake will suffer for abandoning a turn-based system. Square has pretty much always screwed up their action combat, which almost invariably ends up as floaty-feeling and shallow; it baffles me that anyone expects anything different for this iteration.
When has hope ever once deterred franchise fans? :p I'm right there with you though.

ethomaz

Banned
REmake is actually more a remaster... not the best example to choose from.
They actually changed the graphic and some puzzles, but the game is mostly the same (tank controls included, even with the choice to use the analog controls)
That is what a remake means.

A change in genre already give the game the power to be a spinoff.

action RPGs and turn based RPGs are far too different to consider one genre. They play nothing alike. RPG doesnt even make sense for games called RPGs most of the time, as its far better at describing a game like Mass Effect than a game like final fantasy. Its a near worthless descriptor, attached to any game with stat growths.

...They are both RPGs, doesn't matter what the battle system is.

You can also have sub-genre's, ya know.

HeelPower

I feel like AAA devs are missing out on flash potential with Turn based combat.

With turn based its possible to make battles really impressive graphically without sacrificing playability and strategy.

And it doesn't have to be slow or clunky either.It could be amazing.

Just wish someone would give it a shot on modern hardware with AAA money.

Anyone who thought otherwise is insane.

This.

I'm expecting it to play like Crisis Core or probably moreso like Versus XIII.

With turn based its possible to make battles really impressive graphically without sacrificing playability and strategy.

Maybe Dragon Quest XI will make you happy. I think that's turn based still, and it's on PS4.

TheOfficeMut

Unconfirmed Member
But you will always be able to over-level, unless a game puts level caps or make levels irrelevant. Like, for example, Monster Hunter is an action RPG, but it doesn't have levels and has the character progression tied to equipment (and loot). That's good design, but that's because those games are designed as great action games in the first place.

where you can button-mash your way through is pointless. If you like it, have a ball.

I didn't say ARPGs require less skill than RPGs, I said they require less skill than action games. Being over-powered in an RPG is a player choice, and it has that direct effect on the gameplay. OF course the same happens to an ARPG, but being over-powered in an action game makes it meaningless. Of course you will disagree, because to you button-mashing in both require no skill, and that's fine. I guess I just think that an action game
But I still say RPGs and ARPGs are different genres.

I really dislike that you're making up arguments that make no sense. It's actually really annoying me. You keep saying that being over-leveled in an ARPG coupled with button-mashing makes it meaningless, but being over-leveled in a turned-based RPG is somehow different? FYI I always button-mash in turn-based RPGs because once I am strong enough there requires no strategy in some games.

Stop arguing for the hell of it if it makes no sense.

I really can't believe someone is trying to argue that actively managing time constrained battles is somehow easier than taking all the time in the world to make a decision in non-time constrained turn-based battles. Really, it depends on the game, so stop making sweeping statements that paints all ARPGs one way and turned-based RPGs another. Some turn-based RPGs are more or less difficult than ARPGs. It all depends on the game.

This whole idea of "skill" is nonsense. By your logic, chess takes monumental skill because it involves making informed decisions whereas physical activities require very little.

khaaan

It seems you already have some preconceived notions as to what kind of an action system FF7R will have and you're also ignoring turn based games that operate on a faster note.

jennetics

I'm feeling extra dumb today.

What's the difference between an action versus a command?

When I read command, I'm thinking Crisis Core where there are literal attack and magic "commands" you have to toggle between and select.

When I read action, I'm thinking XV where circle is attack, square is defend/phase.

I guess I'm confused because if Nomura says it's action, then it'd be (in my mind) closely resembling XV, but the screenshots I've seen look much more command-based, with attack, magic, and other options being select-able (which look more like Crisis Core).

It seems you already have some preconceived notions as to what kind of an action system FF7R will have and you're also ignoring turn based games that operate on a faster note.
err, I'm not making any preconceived notions on FF7R's combat, other than the fact that its an action game devalues it into oblivion for me. I also am not sure how I'm ignoring faster turn based games. Making turn based games faster (FFXIII) Still doesnt make them play anything like action games. There is an inherent difference from command based combat and action combat that makes them incomparable. They are vastly different takes on gameplay.

I'm feeling extra dumb today.

What's the difference between an action versus a command?

When I read command, I'm thinking Crisis Core where there are literal attack and magic "commands" you have to toggle between and select.

When I read action, I'm thinking XV where circle is attack, square is defend/phase.

I guess I'm confused because if Nomura says it's action, then it'd be (in my mind) closely resembling XV, but the screenshots I've seen look much more command-based, with attack, magic, and other options being select-able (which look more like Crisis Core).
Kingdom hearts and crisis core have a weird command menu, but they are action combat. You press a button and the action happens. The feedback is immediate. Command based games are where you are issuing a command to a character, you are not in direct control.

I agree. Can you imagine a turn based RPG with the graphics of The Order 1886? That would be bonkers.

Top Bottom