• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy VII Remake |OT| - The Reunion is coming

Moogle11

Banned
Personally I’m loving that it’s pretty linear. I’m pretty tired of open world games, having tons of choices in where to to what to do next, especially if it’s a Metroidvania type thing where you spend a lot of time lost amd wandering around trying to figure out where to go/what to do.

I tend to bounce off those things and just go watch a movie or a show. I like my games narrative-driven and linear (I,e, many of Sony’s first party games, or fun gameplay focused stuff like Mario and some other a Nintendo games or the occasional shooter or loot games like Borderlands. I don’t have the imagination for open, make your own story/adventure games.

Can you elaborate? Because that is my genuine impression.

FF7R has super linear sections with select few branching parts, like the reactor missions.
And it has those free roam areas like the slums. Here you cannot enter any building, so it's also not that sprawling. Some paths lead away from the slums to a few fighting areas. Not that large either.

In FF13 you have mostly ultra linear sections, they are about as linear as FF7R, probably a bit more linear.
BUT you also have some free roam areas like the Archylte steppe that has actual free roam. Again even the slums and Aerith's village are quite constrained, come on.

Now I do get that you can feel that 13 is more linear than 7R. But come on you can't tell me gulf is that big overall. FF7R is very linear overall and I already long for part II with real exploration...
I don't see how FF7R manages dungeons and towns are different from any other RPGs.
Most RPGs won't let you enter most of its buildings. Where did you get this expectations that FF7R was going to give you that level of freedom?

Spokker

You really think the reason forced walking is in for padding, I mean really?
Of course it is. They want people to say it took them "30 hours" to finish when 15 hours is spent on really low quality content such as the sidequests, added backstory that adds nothing (crazy motorcycle guy), and slow walking. The walk from the church to Aerith's house was ridiculous.

For a game that sells based on nostalgia, you really have to drag it kicking and screaming to the next nostalgic part.

Boneless

Of course it is. They want people to say it took them "30 hours" to finish when 15 hours is spent on really low quality content such as the sidequests, added backstory that adds nothing (crazy motorcycle guy), and slow walking. The walk from the church to Aerith's house was ridiculous.

For a game that sells based on nostalgia, you really have to drag it kicking and screaming to the next nostalgic part.

There's a lot of extra depth that adds a to character development, Biggs, Wess, Tifa. If you don't like taking your time walking through the amazing scenery to Aerith's house, that's a shame, in the end you might ask yourself whether this is the game for you. Also, that is maybe 5 additional minutes, a real win for SE in terms of game time! :')

Psykodad

Banned

You'd rather have a 35 hour game that's 50% text, like the original?

Last edited:

Neff

Can you elaborate? Because that is my genuine impression.

FFVIIR lets you decide where you want to go at numerous points throughout. Even during linear traversal sections, you'll loop back to old locales and open shortcuts for use later. FFXIII will not even let you turn back once you progress past checkpoints. The towns are huge, with lots of little tucked-away secrets, and you're free to tackle sidequests in pretty much any order you like. The game rewards thorough exploration in ways I wasn't expecting given Square's track record over the last decade or so. I started my second run of the game yesterday and I'm finding things I missed first time round.

The dungeon i did last night was literally a maze with many side paths and hidden treasure, that dungeon alone had more exploration than all of 13. the open area at the end of 13 still just pivots off to straight areas.

Exactly. I like FFXIII, but it's hard to think of a more linear RPG, or a more linear HD adventure game period.

Last edited:

GenericUser

What the hell is happening in these screenshots? Are the textures still loading?
some weird ass bug/mistake, don't know. But the texture problems are definitely real. They don't spoil the whole experience though, they are noticeable, but definitely the exception of the norm.

John Day

Going slow, just got done with the sidequests in Sector 5 slums. Combat with Aerith is kinda cool and situational, i like her abilities.

Stopped to take a break, i’m like...13 hours in or so?

Nickolaidas

Square's silence is baffling. I remember them saying that they were making this game with next generation in mind as well.

I wonder if they made REALLY good textures the PS4 couldn't handle (because they plan on using them for the PS5's instant-load SSD), so they downgraded the PS4 version in order to maintain a stable framerate, then present the PS5 version as the 'ultimate' experience ... forcing you to re-buy the damn thing.

Last edited:

stickkidsam

You'd rather have a 35 hour game that's 50% text, like the original?
Woah are we shitting on the original?

All of the text was story that needed to be there and didn't feel unnecessary. It drove the plot or expanded character. The game is definitely not just 35 hours either if you are doing all of the side content, most of which is incredible whether it be to get new weapons or to find secrets in the story.

When you compare that to this game which feels the need to stop all momentum and automate what is happening, it can kill the flow really badly. If players want to walk to the Church, let them walk to the church. If it REALLY needs that pace, make it a fucking cutscene. That's not to say that this game is just padding, but it'd be bullshit to say there is none.

Shrap

There's a lot of extra depth that adds a to character development, Biggs, Wess, Tifa. If you don't like taking your time walking through the amazing scenery to Aerith's house, that's a shame, in the end you might ask yourself whether this is the game for you. Also, that is maybe 5 additional minutes, a real win for SE in terms of game time! :')
Biggs and Wedge are completely one dimensional. No development at all nor depth.

Wedge is a jolly fat joke that feels useless. Biggs is your typical cool, calm and collected dedicated soldier. That's it. The entire scope of their personalities for the whole game.
FFVIIR lets you decide where you want to go at numerous points throughout. Even during linear traversal sections, you'll loop back to old locales and open shortcuts for use later. FFXIII will not even let you turn back once you progress past checkpoints. The towns are huge, with lots of little tucked-away secrets, and you're free to tackle sidequests in pretty much any order you like. The game rewards thorough exploration in ways I wasn't expecting given Square's track record over the last decade or so.
The towns are far from huge; you can run from one side of a town to the other in less than a minute. The "tucked away" secrets are extremely easy to find and most of the time your reward for "exploration" (usually taking the path at a split that doesn't lead to the objective) is a cheap item that is in every vending machine.

Let's not also forget the many times it actively blocks you from freely moving around an area.

Last edited:

Psykodad

Banned
Woah are we shitting on the original?

All of the text was story that needed to be there and didn't feel unnecessary. It drove the plot or expanded character. The game is definitely not just 35 hours either if you are doing all of the side content, most of which is incredible whether it be to get new weapons or to find secrets in the story.

When you compare that to this game which feels the need to stop all momentum and automate what is happening, it can kill the flow really badly. If players want to walk to the Church, let them walk to the church. If it REALLY needs that pace, make it a fucking cutscene. That's not to say that this game is just padding, but it'd be bullshit to say there is none.
Not shitting on the original at all, together with SotC it's my GOAT.

The story is about 35 hours if you stick solely to that, now we have a full game for just Midgar with mostly more character building.
(Roche is BS).
The walking sections fit the moment and I don't think it can be compared to a storytelling method that's basically just text.
Being able to have your characters run all the time would completely break the pacing of the game. You'd be just running in circles out of frustration most of the time, as you're forced to wait for the dialogues to finish because you arrived at the destination 5 minutes early.

On the other hand, if they would make all walking sections cutscenes, you'd get a situation where you end up with people complaining about how it's more movie than game.

Last edited:

Shouta

Got to Reactor 5 last night and left off at the start of it last night. I'm pretty happy so far and I really like the pace. Getting to spend time with the Avalanche crew has been great, especially with the expanded backstory for Jessie. Biggs and Wedge getting a bit more characterization has been great too. I think the worst part has been Roche since that guy is basically a Dirge of Cereberus/Crisis Core villain in how goofy he is. The fight with him is nice though.

I'm starting to get more abilities too so combat is opening up more and allowing you to do things you couldn't before. Barret getting Lifesaver now allows him to be a tank for the team so I can have him soak up damage while Tifa rampages with combos and the like.

I definitely have to commend the designers on their levels too. Since the game uses the behind the shoulder/action game style to progress the title, it's super easy to get into a rut and make the game feel super linear but the areas have a lot of nooks and crannies to look into making it feel like you're both exploring areas and traversing a proper dungeon. This was missing from FF13 and the latter parts of FF15 where dungeons were very linear with no side areas in dungeons.

stickkidsam

Not shitting on the original at all, together with SotC it's my GOAT.

The story is about 35 hours if you stick solely to that, now we have a full game for just Midgar with mostly more character building.
(Roche is BS).
The walking sections fit the moment and I don't think it can be compared to a storytelling method that's basically just text.
Being able to have your characters run all the time would completely break the pacing of the game. You'd be just running in circles out of frustration most of the time, as you're forced to wait for the dialogues to finish because you arrived at the destination 5 minutes early.

On the other hand, if they would make all walking sections cutscenes, you'd get a situation where you end up with people complaining about how it's more movie than game.
I can see what you're getting at there. Personally I think it would be better to let the player control the pace of the character regardless. If it's not a cutscene then it's up to you to decide how long it takes to get anywhere. If you want to enjoy the story that is going on then you can, or you can just blast past the pacing. That's what makes it a game and not a cutscene.

It's something I thought was fun about the original. Even if you can slowdown for the characters around you, it lets you run around at whatever you feel like. Granted because it's a text based story you can skip that stuff as well, but I think the principle carries over.

Hosam6xavi

Banned
Same spot then and now

The blue Mark where I'm standing now

tmT6wjz.jpg

gOh1Nx9.jpg

I can't believe I'm actually playing FF 7 remake ..

Thank you Square Enix

Psykodad

Banned
I can see what you're getting at there. Personally I think it would be better to let the player control the pace of the character regardless. If it's not a cutscene then it's up to you to decide how long it takes to get anywhere. If you want to enjoy the story that is going on then you can, or you can just blast past the pacing. That's what makes it a game and not a cutscene.

It's something I thought was fun about the original. Even if you can slowdown for the characters around you, it lets you run around at whatever you feel like. Granted because it's a text based story you can skip that stuff as well, but I think the principle carries over.
Good point.
I can see why they chose to take this approach though. Guess it’s one of those design choices where it's "damned if they do, damned if they don't".

Psykodad

Banned
LOL what?
Yeah, I know, not what I meant.

Edit:

It's a re-imagining. So yeah, ofcourse it's going to be compared to the source material, but it should also be judged without the nostalgia-goggles on.
It's a game remade for modern times, not an archaic design with updated graphics.

Last edited:

Neff

The towns are far from huge; you can run from one side of a town to the other in less than a minute. The "tucked away" secrets are extremely easy to find and most of the time your reward for "exploration" (usually taking the path at a split that doesn't lead to the objective) is a cheap item that is in every vending machine.

Let's not also forget the many times it actively blocks you from freely moving around an area.

What were you actually expecting?

Spokker

There's a lot of extra depth that adds a to character development, Biggs, Wess, Tifa.
They spent a little time going into Jesse's backstory, which was nice. Then much more time with some coked up motorcycle guy who comes out of nowhere.

If you don't like taking your time walking through the amazing scenery to Aerith's house, that's a shame, in the end you might ask yourself whether this is the game for you. Also, that is maybe 5 additional minutes, a real win for SE in terms of game time! :')
It was PS3-era environments that took way more than 5 minutes, or felt that way at least. All they had to do was show her make a couple slower jumps than Cloud and the original portrays it in a much more charming way.

No, this is not the game for me, but they scammed me with the demo and articles in March 2020 talking about how faithful the game is, and I'm stuck with it. I paid my fee so I will complain.

Zog

Banned
Yeah, I know, not what I meant.

Edit:

It's a re-imagining. So yeah, ofcourse it's going to be compared to the source material, but it should also be judged without the nostalgia-goggles on.
It's a game remade for modern times, not an archaic design with updated graphics.

It bothers you though that some people prefer the 'archaic' original, doesn't it?

Lethal01

[
Yet you can't acknowledge other folk's points about how these random, bland undetailed spots scattered all over the environments throughout the game are hurting the game's presentation. They stand out like a sore thumb in these large environments with good lighting. To top it off, not all of the areas look good to begin with.

Nah, I never refused to acknowledge that the game has some objective technical faults that some might really hate. I just said I think the game looks great all the way through even with those faults and that the way people talked about it made it sound like it would be a bigger issue. I was prompted to say this because of that guy acting like people like me are lying about how good the game looks because I don't think that the low quality assets hurt it as much as he does.

I understand if it makes you hate the visuals but I find the even during the day I think the slums look more visually interesting than red dead 2 or TLOU2.

Spokker

yeah....no, you're out of your damn mind if you seriously think that.

Not even the most rabidly angry reviewer has the audacity to call this game ugly.

Slow walk through the beautiful last-gen graphics.

The game looks great when there is a ton of post-processing, motion blur and the camera is mainly focusing on the main characters, but when you're doing all those wonderful new "kill X monsters" quests they added to "flesh out" Midgar, this is what the game looks like.

It's not a bug. It's not a few textures not loading in. It's not cherry picking. It's not putting your camera in a weird position or too close to something off the beaten path. This is the main game. This is a fact.

Last edited:

Sign

Been playing for about 13 hours and so far it has been fantastic.

Pros:
-Stellar ost.
-Combat really feels like what they had hoped Versus XIII had been, particularly the character switching and soft combos. An absolute blast.
-Outside of the texture bugs the graphics on the whole are really good. Phenomenal lighting, particle, animation work.
-Art direction is incredible. Midgar hits Rapture / Batman 1989's Gotham levels of "This place seems like a nightmare and I would love to live here."
-Characters have been great, especially the supporting cast. Everything feels so much more fleshed out and really makes the world feel so much larger.
-Good balance of straight shot sequences and more open moments. I've seen the game compared to the Yakuza format and that feels about right.
-Game is really good at giving nods to the old game while never feeling dependent on it.

Cons:
-Texture bugs.
-Lower rez textures in someplaces (this is the first Ps4 game on UE4 I can remember running at 1080p and I wonder if this was the sacrifice).
- Some areas you should really be able to walk on / through but can't.

No idea how it will shake out but so far it is easily the best FF I've played since 12 (my favorite). It all makes me very excited to see what the next entry looks like.

Last edited:

Lethal01

I absolutely loved the section and wouldn't have had it any other way. It's like people forget this is an rpg with a big focus on story. You can't expect every to complain about sections that are you just interacting with the characters and getting immersed in the world. I dragged than aerith section out to like 3x it's length just enjoying the world design.

I also LOVED my Bikey boy.

It seems like a lot of the complaints about pacing are complaints about what I would call some of the bests parts of the game lasting too long when I would want even more.. Opinions, what are they?

Last edited:

Boneless

The game looks great when there is a ton of post-processing, motion blur and the camera is mainly focusing on the main characters, but when you're doing all those wonderful new "kill X monsters" quests they added to "flesh out" Midgar, this is what the game looks like.

It's not a bug. It's not a few textures not loading in. It's not cherry picking. It's not putting your camera in a weird position or too close to something off the beaten path. This is the main game. This is a fact.

"It's not putting your camera in a weird position"

*shows screenshot where the camera is topdown* :D

protonion

Just reached Aeris and I'm done for today.

I love every single thing about the game. I will gladly rebuy a next gen version with whatever graphic or other improvements.
I enjoyed the long dungeon before the second reactor. Nice little puzzles and satisfying exploration.

I wonder how they will handle materia progression for future games. You get a ton of them and they can be maxed before you leave Midgard? How will that work I wonder.

Ps. Tifa's boobs are extremely distracting. Not that I complain!

Spokker

It's like people forget this is an rpg with a big focus on story. You can't expect every to complain about sections that are you just interacting with the characters and getting immersed in the world.
I'm comparing the Remake unfavorably to a text-based RPG where you read the story, but I guess I'm not all about story.

There's story/immersion, then there's padding. I'll take random battles over generic environments that seem to go on forever and only serve to slow you down before you get to see the nostalgic bits they sold this game on.

Opinions, what are they?
Discussion forums, what are they?

Last edited:

Spokker

"It's not putting your camera in a weird position"

*shows screenshot where the camera is topdown* :D
It's not topdown, it's 3/4ths view. Yeah, how could a camera ever become slightly elevated during a normal playthrough? The devs never expected the camera to go that high, so just put PS2-era foliage everywhere. The player will never notice. Only entitled gamers put their camera that high.

Last edited:

PanzerAzel

But why? The new system feels good.
They're combining two different systems antithetical to one another. One that's twitch based opposed to a more tactical and measured approach.

They are demanding attention be paid to attacking, evading, and blocking, identifying and attacking weak spots, what each enemy is doing at any given time, paying attention to HP/MP management of not only yourself but that of your allies, and menu management and respective skill utilization that can vary for enemy to enemy. It's a lot to place on the player's plate under pressure, and yes, the game pauses to consider this when ATBs fill and the command menu is called up, which just goes to show to me how incompatible these system they've tried to combine really are. When the devs shoulder me with action game considerations in the heat of the moment in battles with many enemies and variables to consider, it can be trying to keep track of them all to their most effective and efficient implementations. Is it workable? Yes, but I don't think it's enjoyable, nor lends itself to the fullest potential of what adhering to a true turn-based system could afford.

Classic mitigates the aforementioned somewhat by lifting the superficial actiony nature of the game out of the player's hands which I appreciate, but there's still issues apparent after some play put in. Not to mention the default to easy difficulty, the AI leaves something greatly to be desired not only in how it conducts the player's character in a dynamic situation, but especially that of the NPCs whose ATBs take forever to fill unless you switch to them and take over......which defeats the entire purpose of being in Classic to begin with. What they should've done if they insisted upon this direction was to allow the player some nuance and micromanagement in how the AI controlled NPCs during battle, and re-balanced the ATB so that equal opportunity could be afforded to each character regardless of who is hammering the attack button at any given moment.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the poorest battle systems I've seen in a game, not in execution but in general design philosophy. It's unbalanced, it's chaotic, and I always feel like every time I triumph, it's never due to a measured or skillful execution of tactics on my part but one of brute forcing my way through it, and one further that I could've accomplished alone, aided by potions and spells.

Last edited:

HotPocket69

Banned
I wonder how they (if they even intend to) will carry over any level or equipment/materia progress into part 2? Will they just Metroid your ass and the whole party be back at level 1?

They could have Yuffie steal your materia at the beginning which is what she does in the OG. That at least seems feasible.

Last edited:

Bkdk

Character/summon redesign wise they nailed it. Cloud, Barrett, Jessie. Tifa, aerith and shiva are all very impressive. They certainly show the western AAA dev how to make proper female characters. Hope for more exotic mods for pc version. Combat is mostly fun. Environment wise this is like dragon age 2. Very repetitive, boring and unpolished. Low res textures are all over the place, color use for environments is dreadful, lighting makes it the only saving grace graphics wise, cutscenes are well made. Also They still did summon wrong. Summons have always felt tacked on for many FF installments and it still feel this way here, It’s a mixed bag overall, however I enjoyed it far more than I should due to the atrocious character designs for nearly all recent AAA games and this is the best lead character crew in a long time. Seems like this game is In development in under 1.5 years in full production. This could mean episode 2 coming much sooner than expected though. Cutscenes will take the most time while they can reuse everything else. Should be here before end of 2021 with this level of polish. Looking forward to it.

Development span of 10 years, man power, enormous $budget$..final built, less than half of the full game..was it worth it? You guys enjoying it?

psorcerer

Banned

Nope, it looks nice when it works.
Be thankful that next gen will have SSds to fix these problems.

Boneless

They're combining two different systems antithetical to one another. One that's twitch based opposed to a more tactical and measured approach.

They are demanding attention be paid to attacking, evading, and blocking, identifying and attacking weak spots, what each enemy is doing at any given time, paying attention to HP/MP management of not only yourself but that of your allies, and menu management and respective skill utilization that can vary for enemy to enemy. It's a lot to place on the player's plate under pressure, and yes, the game pauses to consider this when ATBs fill and the command menu is called up, which just goes to show to me how incompatible these system they've tried to combine really are. When the devs shoulder me with action game considerations in the heat of the moment in battles with many enemies and variables to consider, it can be trying to keep track of them all to their most effective and efficient implementations. Is it workable? Yes, but I don't think it's enjoyable, nor lends itself to the fullest potential of what adhering to a true turn-based system could afford.

Classic mitigates the aforementioned somewhat by lifting the superficial actiony nature of the game out of the player's hands which I appreciate, but there's still issues apparent after some play put in. Not to mention the default to easy difficulty, the AI leaves something greatly to be desired not only in how it conducts the player's character in a dynamic situation, but especially that of the NPCs whose ATBs take forever to fill unless you switch to them and take over......which defeats the entire purpose of being in Classic to begin with. What they should've done if they insisted upon this direction was to allow the player some nuance and micromanagement in how the AI controlled NPCs during battle, and re-balanced the ATB so that equal opportunity could be afforded to each character regardless of who is hammering the attack button at any given moment.

To be perfectly honest, this is one of the poorest battle systems I've seen in a game. It's unbalanced, it's chaotic, and I always feel like every time I triumph, it's never due to a measured or skillful execution of tactics on my part but one of brute forcing my way through it, and one further that I could've accomplished alone, aided by potions and spells.

Protip: with R2 you can basically pause the battle at any time, allowint you to view hp/mp and decide on next steps, give it a try!

Teletraan1

Banned
I was almost getting sucked into the hype after I have been pretty negative regarding the execution of this remake since it was announced. The change in battle system(I probably would not have had any reverence for the original if it had an action RPG battle system, I didn't like those game then and still do not) , the episodic nature of the release while also expanding on meaningless shit in Midgar which is my least favorite part of the original game that I usually rush through. They could have at worst dropped the extra nonsense and cut the game in 2 parts. I watched a bit of a playthrough on youtube and it really killed my hype. A lot of the extra bits they added to pad this out seem so cringy and corny. The music was really effective at hitting that nostalgia nerve, long goofy voiced diatribes by Sephiroth not so much. I'll pick this up on a steam sale closer to when pt2 comes out so I can hopefully avoid bad textures which seem to be 90% of the content of this thread.

Top Bottom