• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really wish I could start up again and play with you guys but I don't have the money to swap servers, so looks like I'm stuck in Valefor for now.

If you guys are in need of a 75DRG though, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm Rank 8 but I need to do a run-through of Zilart and CoP missions.

Haven't played the game in months, what have I missed? I think the newest thing I remember was Level Sync. Have I missed a lot?

Scythian Empire said:
I really wish I could start up again and play with you guys but I don't have the money to swap servers, so looks like I'm stuck in Valefor for now.

If you guys are in need of a 75DRG though, let me know and I'll see what I can do. I'm Rank 8 but I need to do a run-through of Zilart and CoP missions.

Haven't played the game in months, what have I missed? I think the newest thing I remember was Level Sync. Have I missed a lot?

Yeah there have been numerous changes since then. Maze mongers, Trials of the Magians, new NM types, new forms of space bucks for killing monsters and NMs, TREASURE CHESTS!

Ricker said:
I still have this for the 360 hehe...do you have to install the whole Playonline thing if I decide to start playing this again on the 360???

yup... but do it. I need someone to do low level stuff with. The NeoGAF Linkshell has been really nice, but I feel bad when they are tagging along doing low level stuff with me.

So I'm mostly writing this to vent, but if anyone has any technical advice it'd be welcome.

So after playing FF XI a few months last year, I decided to play some more this year. Not wanting to be completely leashed to the PC, I decided to grab the Ultimate set for X360 since I saw it for $15. Well, got that installed, but when it tried to update... couldn't seem to establish a connection to the servers, no matter how many times I tried. POL-1161 every time. Sucks, but I wrote it off as assiness due to the game straddling both Xbox Live and PlayOnline.

So still wanting to try it on console and trying to work around the recent credit card requirements as I heard one could on console versions, I remembered I'd long ago bought a used version of the original for PS2, if only to sit on the shelf. Since I learned it would work on PS3, I decided to give that a try. Was able to successfully install PlayOnline Viewer and FF XI, update the PlayOnline Viewer, set my credit card information, and with today as the first day of the month reactivated my Content ID through there. Go to the FF XI page, try to update... POL-1161 every time.

I go to my PC, run the PlayOnline Viewer, and it's able to start updating FF XI just fine. Go back to PS2, POL-1161. Back to PC, still working fine. kafdlsasdfjpiowfjaopsdfivpsdioapsiof

JoshuaJSlone said:
So I'm mostly writing this to vent, but if anyone has any technical advice it'd be welcome.

So after playing FF XI a few months last year, I decided to play some more this year. Not wanting to be completely leashed to the PC, I decided to grab the Ultimate set for X360 since I saw it for $15. Well, got that installed, but when it tried to update... couldn't seem to establish a connection to the servers, no matter how many times I tried. POL-1161 every time. Sucks, but I wrote it off as assiness due to the game straddling both Xbox Live and PlayOnline.

So still wanting to try it on console and trying to work around the recent credit card requirements as I heard one could on console versions, I remembered I'd long ago bought a used version of the original for PS2, if only to sit on the shelf. Since I learned it would work on PS3, I decided to give that a try. Was able to successfully install PlayOnline Viewer and FF XI, update the PlayOnline Viewer, set my credit card information, and with today as the first day of the month reactivated my Content ID through there. Go to the FF XI page, try to update... POL-1161 every time.

I go to my PC, run the PlayOnline Viewer, and it's able to start updating FF XI just fine. Go back to PS2, POL-1161. Back to PC, still working fine. kafdlsasdfjpiowfjaopsdfivpsdioapsiof

Maybe it's a router issue? What's the NAT type set to on your ps3?

hgplayer1

JoshuaJSlone said:

The first day of the month is a bad time to try reactivating or creating a new account. Registration servers are down for maintenance on the first of every month and I'm not sure how long it lasts.

From reading your post it sounds like you've attempted this many times so this probably doesn't help but its the only thing I can think of.

B.K.

I found an Attar of Roses in a treasure chest in Konstach last night. The wiki says that it can't be sold, traded, bazzared, or auctioned and doesn't list any use for it. Is it something I should keep or can I throw it away to save inventory space?

Kangaboo

Neo Member
It's equipment!

You can equip that in your Ammo slot for the bonuses it gives.

Or if you don't want it you can always drop it. :)

pix

Reactivated :X Ill transfer to Slyph when I can but I can't even reactivate my ContentID. Im assuming its because of maintenance. Whats your LS called so I can get a pearl if thats ok.

What would you say is the best class to play as? I played through the free trial as a warrior human (I think that's what it was) a few months back but all of my info appears to have been deleted and unable to be reactivated. I might be interested as playing as something else this time, not sure...

Kandinsky

PumpkinPie said:
What would you say is the best class to play as? I played through the free trial as a warrior human (I think that's what it was) a few months back but all of my info appears to have been deleted and unable to be reactivated. I might be interested as playing as something else this time, not sure...
Red Mage :D

pix said:
Reactivated :X Ill transfer to Slyph when I can but I can't even reactivate my ContentID. Im assuming its because of maintenance. Whats your LS called so I can get a pearl if thats ok.
StarsOfDestiny, make sure you give us your ingame name when youre on Sylph.

Fox the Sly

My asshole friends are coming back to FFXI and that means I'm coming back too! Foxthesly, Phoenix server.

I can't wait for our glorious reunion!

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Which friends? I might know them, (I remember you.) but I'm on Sylph now.

Mandoric

Banned
B.K. said:
Are the numbers at http://www.ffxiah.com reliable enough to get an idea of what items go for at the auction hosue?

Yes. It checks about once every hour or two and only typically misses sales when more than ten sell in that time period, at which point they're almost definitely going at an established price.

For perspective, it's probably the only English-language resource that the Japanese fanbase regularly use. That's how awesome it is.

pancakesandsex said:
Maybe it's a router issue? What's the NAT type set to on your ps3?
Should be whatever the default is--for both it and X360 I just told it to try to connect and things pretty much worked, until now. I'm not sure how I'd check such a thing on PC, though to compare settings between the platforms.
hgplayer1 said:
The first day of the month is a bad time to try reactivating or creating a new account. Registration servers are down for maintenance on the first of every month and I'm not sure how long it lasts.

From reading your post it sounds like you've attempted this many times so this probably doesn't help but its the only thing I can think of.
It let me reactivate my ID with no problem. It just won't let me update FF XI on PS3. Tells me I need to update, gets to the "Verifying DNAS..." message, acts like it's about to download the latest file information to compare to what I've currently got, but half a second later gives me POL-1161. Actually, tonight it seems to be giving me POL-0006, but the text it gives seems to be the same: "Network is busy or there are connection problems. Please try again later or verify that cables, networking devices, and network settings are properly configured."

JoshuaJSlone said:
Should be whatever the default is--for both it and X360 I just told it to try to connect and things pretty much worked, until now. I'm not sure how I'd check such a thing on PC, though to compare settings between the platforms.

It let me reactivate my ID with no problem. It just won't let me update FF XI on PS3. Tells me I need to update, gets to the "Verifying DNAS..." message, acts like it's about to download the latest file information to compare to what I've currently got, but half a second later gives me POL-1161. Actually, tonight it seems to be giving me POL-0006, but the text it gives seems to be the same: "Network is busy or there are connection problems. Please try again later or verify that cables, networking devices, and network settings are properly configured."

Go do a network test on the PS3 and post what NAT type it shows. Do you have trouble with psn as well?

pancakesandsex said:
Go do a network test on the PS3 and post what NAT type it shows. Do you have trouble with psn as well?
I haven't done much PSN gaming, but it's worked fine for the store and Noby Noby Boy data transferring.

I'll try and get the NAT stuff later--right now the test stops at the PlayStation Network connection bit since I hadn't bothered updating to the useless new firmware yet.

NAT Type: Type 3

Much later edit since there's no reason to bump the thread: Searched around to find that Type 3 is a Bad Thing. Played around with PS3 and router settings for a while... still stuck on Type 3. But then realized that for PS2 PlayOnline purposes those are ignored, and tried doing the same settings manipulation in there. No difference. I've always had some issues with things like that as I believe the HughesNet modem has some NAT stuff that's basically unworkaroundable, but it doesn't tend to completely prevent things. And as I keep coming back to, it works fine on PC, which is hooked up through the same equipment. Bah. I'm more worried about FF XIV later, since my PC sure won't help play that.

Nakazato

For People that want to get in on the adventure the we call Final Fantasy XI D2D has a 5 dollar off code bring it to 10 dollars. That the Final Fantasy XI Ultimate Collection that come with all the expansion packs

"5OFFFFXI" code no good after today

B.K.

Mandoric said:
Yes. It checks about once every hour or two and only typically misses sales when more than ten sell in that time period, at which point they're almost definitely going at an established price.

It still lists Fairy and Sylph as separate servers though. Which listing is right?

Deku

Banned
ODIN & Alexander are game changers for summoners.

Amazing summons and truly massive damage output for odin, and a great ability in 'perfect defense' from Alexander.

SE has finally figured out how to give SMN the explosive damage/abilities from their SP games without borking balance.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Deku said:

Amazing summons and truly massive damage output for odin, and a great ability in 'perfect defense' from Alexander.

SE has finally figured out how to give SMN the explosive damage/abilities from their SP games without borking balance.

Not really. They just make SMN nice conveniences now, taking 10%-20% off a mob from the start.. You can't stack the Odin Damage by having multiple SMN's use it at once. The damage goes down greatly with each one. Far as Alexander, the only real use you have there is in zerg parties on a few select mobs (eg. Kirin or Bahamut 2 fight)

Deku

Banned
DrForester said:
Not really. They just make SMN nice conveniences now, taking 10%-20% off a mob from the start.. You can't stack the Odin Damage by having multiple SMN's use it at once. The damage goes down greatly with each one. Far as Alexander, the only real use you have there is in zerg parties on a few select mobs (eg. Kirin or Bahamut 2 fight)

10-20% hateless damage at the start of a fight is not a game changer? We've taken 15% off mobs like Jailer of Love. Which are traditionally whittled down over longer periods of time than zergs.

As for Alexander, its great for a lot more than zergs. It's useful in a pinch when you need 90 seconds to run away or keep tank alive. Also new VNMs have ability to wipe party at set % health. With powerful AOE abilities

Summoners Astral Flow were nothing more than 3 minutes of free perpetuation before this and a breeding ground for no skill summoners in astral burns.

Kandinsky

Deku said:

Hyperbole much?, i mean wtf:lol

Deku

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Hyperbole much?, i mean wtf:lol

So which of your jobs can knock 20% off an NM , while your tank maintains perfect hate?

It's not hyperbole, summoner 2hrs have been pretty much a free perpetuation bonus and exp gain only in those astral burns.

I also forgot to add that in certain instanced zones, like Limbus, where it is possible to regain 2hour abilities back per floor, an Odin summon for every tier makes everything go much faster and reduces the need for extra bodies in some instances. summoners would be hard pressed to bother even popping as astral flow prior to this.

Kandinsky

Deku said:
So which of your jobs can knock 20% off an NM , while your tank maintains perfect hate?

It's not hyperbole, summoner 2hrs have been pretty much a free perpetuation bonus and exp gain only in those astral burns.

I also forgot to add that in certain instanced zones, like Limbus, where it is possible to regain 2hour abilities back per floor, an Odin summon for every tier makes everything go much faster and reduces the need for extra bodies in some instances. summoners would be hard pressed to bother even popping as astral flow prior to this.
People still will take a 'proper' DD over that smn, i know i will/do :lol

Thing is you sounded like "omg SE finally fixed smn with a gamebreaking 2hr!" and that my friend is bs.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
After formating win7 because i had the RC version and playing a game when it shuts down every 2 hours is not a good idea, i had to install POL viewer from the website since the collection didnt support win7 and its updating currently, estimates 1:45 hours, w-t-f there's not even a game installed yet, just POL ;_;

Mandoric

Banned
Deku said:
10-20% hateless damage at the start of a fight is not a game changer? We've taken 15% off mobs like Jailer of Love. Which are traditionally whittled down over longer periods of time than zergs.

As for Alexander, its great for a lot more than zergs. It's useful in a pinch when you need 90 seconds to run away or keep tank alive. Also new VNMs have ability to wipe party at set % health. With powerful AOE abilities

Summoners Astral Flow were nothing more than 3 minutes of free perpetuation before this and a breeding ground for no skill summoners in astral burns.

Oh god, the VNM wipes. "Hey guys, stand still at 20ym!" is nice. "Hey guys, never move from that point even if it runs toward you with its TP-draining aura spamming 1k damage and 40/tick poison!"... not so much.

Tabris

I agree with the SMN comments. It's really nice they've fixed SMN 2hr for end game as before it was only good for low-level content.

So uh, while the usefulness of the new summons might be debatable now. How do you think that will change once SMN/RDM can use convert? The effects are mp based right? just for Odin oops.

Kandinsky

pancakesandsex said:
So uh, while the usefulness of the new summons might be debatable now. How do you think that will change once SMN/RDM can use convert? The effects are mp based right? just for Odin oops.
It will change nothing because using Odin consumes everything, your MP and your 2h.

Kandinsky said:
It will change nothing because using Odin consumes everything, your MP and your 2h.

But if you can convert afterwords you aren't useless right? follow it up with convert refresh and some cures and get right back in the action. If it's hateless you won't have to worry about getting owned right after casting it either. But I've barely touched summoner, so please explain why that would be nonsense.

I just started playing, I'm on Sylph and Hume Warrior...only Lv 10 at the moment so I can usually be found at the top of La Thiene. My name is Auroch so say hi if you see me :D

Kandinsky

pancakesandsex said:
But if you can convert afterwords you aren't useless right? follow it up with convert refresh and some cures and get right back in the action. If it's hateless you won't have to worry about getting owned right after casting it either. But I've barely touched summoner, so please explain why that would be nonsense.
Oh i thought you were asking about doing Zantetsuken 2 times. So in that sense yeah you're back at being a summoner, which is pretty much useless except if you are in the blm party and giving them favor refresh:lol

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kandinsky said:
I bet neither of you have it leveled:lol

I've had SMN leveled for years. I and my LS love Odin. But again, it's not a game changer and doesn't change the way I play the job, it all it does is save a few minutes of fighting on certain mobs. I 2 hour at start, then elemental Siphon/ rest MP then go back to either spamming damage BP's on mob, or refreshing/buffing the BLM party.

Kandinsky said:
Oh i thought you were asking about doing Zantetsuken 2 times. So in that sense yeah you're back at being a summoner, which is pretty much useless except if you are in the blm party and giving them favor refresh:lol

BP's have been very effective against most of the VNM's we've fought so far, my LS has been bringing a few SMN's for damage.

Kandinsky

DrForester said:
But again, it's not a game changer and doesn't change the way I play the job, it all it does is save a few minutes of fighting on certain mobs.
Thats all im trying to say, it changes nothing.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Pancakes what lvl are you guys rangers now? I've had nearly no time to play :(

And the one time I did I forgot my wired 360 controller at work :( :(

bardia

PumpkinPie said:
I just started playing, I'm on Sylph and Hume Warrior...only Lv 10 at the moment so I can usually be found at the top of La Thiene. My name is Auroch so say hi if you see me :D

Same here! Im elvaan and my name is Cyruz, I just hit lvl 14 mnk yesterday in latheine. Was going to ask for a pearl but saw you guys were busy in Bibikibay so I didn't bother asking lol maybe today though :D

_tetsuo_ said:
Pancakes what lvl are you guys rangers now? I've had nearly no time to play :(

And the one time I did I forgot my wired 360 controller at work :( :(

Lol still 10. I've been doing nothing but magian camps this week. Need to kill 400 Arcana now. Who wants to do pages in the ruins near sky?

pix

What weapon are you going to augment when you are done the trial? And which augment are you working for?

Rawk Hawk

PumpkinPie said:

bardia said:
Same here! Im elvaan and my name is Cyruz, I just hit lvl 14 mnk yesterday in latheine. Was going to ask for a pearl but saw you guys were busy in Bibikibay so I didn't bother asking lol maybe today though :D

I will be on in about 45 minutes if either of you are still missing a pearl. This goes for anyone else I've missed looking through the recent posts. Send an ingame tell to Rawkhawk.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom