• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2010 |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Trying to reactivate my IDs, says payment info is wrong, so i go to change that and it says i need a verified by visa security thing, i have a visa but honestly, im sick of having to remember another f'ing login and password. Now i read on a forum that this method was for NEW members, am i asked this because i dont have the content IDs reactivated yet? And if i reactivate them via the character reactivation service, will i be able to continue with the card? I still have to change some info since the last one expired just 2 months ago.

Bebpo

Banned
Alright, I signed up and am updating the game right now. So the server I should join is Sylph, right?

*edit, wow uh, 6 hours of downloading

;_;

Guess I will start around midnight!

pix

Buggy Loop said:
Trying to reactivate my IDs, says payment info is wrong, so i go to change that and it says i need a verified by visa security thing, i have a visa but honestly, im sick of having to remember another f'ing login and password. Now i read on a forum that this method was for NEW members, am i asked this because i dont have the content IDs reactivated yet? And if i reactivate them via the character reactivation service, will i be able to continue with the card? I still have to change some info since the last one expired just 2 months ago.

I had this issue as well and im not a new player. It eventually worked for me but I got errors for a few tries. You need to verify if your CC changed or expired since the last time you played I believe.

Teknoman

pancakesandsex said:
Lol still 10. I've been doing nothing but magian camps this week. Need to kill 400 Arcana now. Who wants to do pages in the ruins near sky?

I could help with that tomorrow before I attempt Dynamis.

I think the majority of us are from San d'oria or Bastok?

EDIT:

Trial0169.png

Wouldnt mind one of these. On branch 2, do you have to do both of the trials listed?

Bebpo said:
So I'm making my character now, on slyph server, but what city should I start at? Where do the gaffers live?

All over. Pick what you like, you get a nice ring if you choose the hometown of your race.

Hume/Galka - Bastok
Elvaan - Sandy
Taru/Mithra - Windy

pancakesandsex said:
All over. Pick what you like, you get a nice ring if you choose the hometown of your race.

Hume/Galka - Bastok
Elvaan - Sandy
Taru/Mithra - Windy

Join me in Bastok. My character is only a level 16 Warrior and I could use a leveling buddy. Bastok is pretty ugly though.

Mandoric

Banned
Note that you can get your local ring for 4000CP (so after 40,000 EXP, or almost exactly when you hit level 18 on your first job). It's not exclusive to starting in the "right" city.

Sandy in general will have the most people and easiest access to conquest-based items, Windy has the best guilds to get a start at (even though broth cooking is dead now), and Bastok, well, umm. ... If you start in Bastok maybe you'll get profoundly lucky and kill Lizzy. :lol

Shouta

Bastok has direct access to some of the best lowbie areas around, Dangruf Wadi is far better than King Ranperre's and uh, forgot Windy's equivalent, and Valkurm is pretty easily accessible from Konstacht compared to La Theine. Then there's Korroloka.

demigod

Teknoman said:
I could help with that tomorrow before I attempt Dynamis.

I think the majority of us are from San d'oria or Bastok?

EDIT:

Trial0169.png

Wouldnt mind one of these. On branch 2, do you have to do both of the trials listed?

Yes you do. I finished my -5% to physical damage taken a few days ago. Took me 10-12 days from start to finish. I don't know much about blu but wouldn't more MP or ACC be better for you than ATK?

What you'd have to do for your sword is

Side-sword
Trial 164: 100 Leeches (any weather)

Soulsaber
Trial 165: 100 Sea Monks (this is where you get your revenge)
Weather: Fire Wind Lightning Light

Soulsaber
Trial 166: 100 monsters (any)
Day/Weather: Fire

Trial 167: 100 Aquans

Soulsaber
Trial 168: 150 Beasts

Trial 169: 200 Flans

Really though, the first 2 are the hardest since it requires weather. The rest you can just do them on specific required day. Some of these weapons are definitely worth doing. You can level sync or even alliance to do them. Lots of JP were doing the last part so I grouped up with them to kill 200 sabotenders. Only able to kill 50 per day since the respawns were so long. Just make sure to comment in search under Quests and put what trial you're on and people might team up with you.

Mandoric

Banned
Shouta said:
Bastok has direct access to some of the best lowbie areas around, Dangruf Wadi is far better than King Ranperre's and uh, forgot Windy's equivalent, and Valkurm is pretty easily accessible from Konstacht compared to La Theine. Then there's Korroloka.

I've always been a fan of heading straight off to Ghelsba at 6 or 7 and not coming back until 14, orcs have some nice lowbie drops. It's also an incredibly short walk.

That said, Korroloka is awesome. If you start in Bas, do it instead of the dunes. If you start in San, make the trip and do it instead of the dunes. If you start in Windy, welp, you're hiking anyway may as well go all the way.

pix

Are those Magian weapons really worth all the time it takes to get? Isnt there better options on the AH? Not trying to be ignorant it's just that I havent played in a while.

Kandinsky

pix said:
Are those Magian weapons really worth all the time it takes to get? Isnt there better options on the AH? Not trying to be ignorant it's just that I havent played in a while.
Some are, katanas come to mind so is the 15% cure potency staff :Q.

Teknoman

demigod said:
Yes you do. I finished my -5% to physical damage taken a few days ago. Took me 10-12 days from start to finish. I don't know much about blu but wouldn't more MP or ACC be better for you than ATK?

Thats possible, I just saw that + str and figured it would help spell mod damage output.

So maybe
Trial0212.png

instead of
Trial0169.png

The question is, does magic acc have any effect on physical blue mage spells.

EDIT: Wiki says "Physical Blue Magic accuracy is determined by mainhand weapon accuracy, and thus, the Accuracy Bonuses and Combat Skill of the currently equipped weapon." so i'm guessing magic accuracy only has an effect on actual magic based Blue mage spells like breath or sphere attacks.

pix

So I finally made it all the way to San'Doria . God damn thatwas a long ass run from Rolanberry Fields . Especially when picking up the maws along the way. So I picked up my first Campaign Op which was Stock and Awe I. Just bring an Ash Log to the guy. So I got a couple questions.

-Is there an AH in the zones?
-The gear you get from notes seems underwhelming. Am I just looking at it wrong?

demigod

Teknoman said:
Thats possible, I just saw that + str and figured it would help spell mod damage output.

So maybe
Trial0212.png

instead of http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20100327103835/ffxi/images/1/11/Trial0169.png[/img[/QUOTE]

I meant that sword or the other one. The one with +4dex +8accuracy. Hell you can even dual wield them! Only the highest dmg one and the OAT ones are rare.

RuGalz

pix said:

They are free and at least comparable if not better than some AH options. It probably would take u just as long to farm gils by normal means for most of the weapons. (not counting the rarer attack twice or highest damage ones)

Mandoric

Banned
pix said:
So I finally made it all the way to San'Doria . God damn thatwas a long ass run from Rolanberry Fields . Especially when picking up the maws along the way. So I picked up my first Campaign Op which was Stock and Awe I. Just bring an Ash Log to the guy. So I got a couple questions.

-Is there an AH in the zones?
-The gear you get from notes seems underwhelming. Am I just looking at it wrong?

There are no AHes, but you can receive mail. Campaign gear is pretty underwhelming in most cases just like conquest gear--it's an okay free alternative while leveling rather than anything to use at 75.

The easiest OPs for you to do are probably either of the production ones, Aegis Scream, or Streetsweeper. The other ones tend to have weird requirements or need practice.

Teknoman

demigod said:
I meant that sword or the other one. The one with +4dex +8accuracy. Hell you can even dual wield them! Only the highest dmg one and the OAT ones are rare.

Whoa, lol just noticed that. Might not be such a bad idea.

B-Dex

Help me GAF!

I've been getting POL-0006 errors on my 360 for over an hour and POL-0011 and POL-0006 when I try on my pc.

Server is busy errors. Everything else works fine with the net though. I am 100% sure it's an ISP or SE issue. Anyone else having problems tonight?

(I logged in fine earlier today)

UPDATE: Apparently my ISP had a major meltdown across the entire country and half of the internet randomly doesn't work. Yay!? So much for leveling tonight.

Websites randomly don't work. Youtube can only play vids in lowest resolution otherwise I get an error etc.... :lol

bardia

B-Dex said:
Help me GAF!

I've been getting POL-0006 errors on my 360 for over an hour and POL-0011 and POL-0006 when I try on my pc.

Server is busy errors. Everything else works fine with the net though. I am 100% sure it's an ISP or SE issue. Anyone else having problems tonight?

(I logged in fine earlier today)

Same here I've been wanting to log in all night on my 360 but can't :(

was planning on running to Jeuno today and getting some new gear and doing the qufim OP since I won't be getting airship for a long time.

Scott

Finally re-installed (360, Ultimate Collection) and re-activated my old character on Sylph. Mithra named 'Kytrinn,' fairly low level (18 WHM, 11 BLM currently), Sandy-based.

It's been so long since I've played regularly, though, so I can't say I know anybody's nicks or who is still around or anything... It's also really freaking early, so I doubt anybody's on, but in that off chance, send me a tell. I'd also appreciate a Linkpearl, whenever somebody's able.

Thanks.

Bebpo

Banned
I tried to play this for the first time and I thought people were joking when they said the controls take some getting used to, but yeah uhmmmm it took me like 3 mins to figure out how to move and then 20 mins to figure out how to log out. And the camera is haywire crazy and I couldn't figure out how to do anything.

Is there some kind of "quick control guide" I can read before I attempt this again?

Also what is a good resolution to play this in so everything is readable and looks ok.

demigod

Bebpo said:
I tried to play this for the first time and I thought people were joking when they said the controls take some getting used to, but yeah uhmmmm it took me like 3 mins to figure out how to move and then 20 mins to figure out how to log out. And the camera is haywire crazy and I couldn't figure out how to do anything.

Is there some kind of "quick control guide" I can read before I attempt this again?

Also what is a good resolution to play this in so everything is readable and looks ok.

Menu -> Config -> Misc 2 -> Keyboard Type : Compact

First thing everyone should do.

I play the game near my resolution, here's a guide on it.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

Bebpo

Banned
demigod said:
Menu -> Config -> Misc 2 -> Keyboard Type : Compact

First thing everyone should do.

I play the game near my resolution, here's a guide on it.
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

Thanks. Did those two things. Game looks ok now besides the horrible low res giant name floating over my character's head.

I started as a Hume Warrior in Bastok. I went out the starting gate and punched worms and hornets and crabs and made it to level 2 and got a potion. I kept fighting and ran out of my potion and got low on HP so I logged out. It was kind of boring.

Questions:
1. What do I have to do to get a sword? It didn't seem like the enemies were dropping money?

2. What does TP mean?

3. I used my job ability right away and the entire time I played for 20 mins it was still recharging. How long do you have to wait for these things to recharge.

4. Is there any way to see your ATB so you know when you're going to attack again?

5. Any way to speed up the combat. Punch......wait 5 seconds...Punch....wait 5 seconds is kind of sloooow.

6. What level should I grind the starting areas to before I actually try a quest?

7. How can you tell human players vs. NPCs?

jiggle

General advice:
1)always talk to a guard at the gate before you leave and get "signet" cast on you
2)when you're outside, look for a floating book and click on it, and it'll ask u to kill certain number of specific monsters. doing so will earn you extra experience points

Bebpo said:
1. What do I have to do to get a sword? It didn't seem like the enemies were dropping money?

did u select a different job when u started? The game should've given u a sword if u started with a warrior?
but you can buy sword in one of the shops in bastok market.

as for money
only certain mobs drop money, and they are miniscule
you have to sell your items
either on Auction House (sell the crystals you get here, along with honey and beeswax)
or dump useless items on NPC shopkeepers (things like pebbles)

Bebpo said:
2. What does TP mean?

in FFXI, any weapon you use will have "weapon skills"
you learn more as u get stronger (you start off with none)
they are basically special attacks based on you weapon of choice
you accumulate tp when u hit a mob or when u get hit
you need 100tp minimum to use weapon skill (listed under abilities in battle menu)
you can accumulate up to 300tp

Bebpo said:
3. I used my job ability right away and the entire time I played for 20 mins it was still recharging. How long do you have to wait for these things to recharge.

that ability is what is known as a "two hour"
meaning you can use it once every two hours
they're only saved for emergency
you will learn other skills later on that could be use more frequently

Bebpo said:
4. Is there any way to see your ATB so you know when you're going to attack again?

nope
there are 3rd party windower program that keeps track of when you can cast a certain spell again and the likes though

Bebpo said:
5. Any way to speed up the combat. Punch......wait 5 seconds...Punch....wait 5 seconds is kind of sloooow.

yes, speed or haste is the stat everyone sought after
the speed is different based on weapons
punching, and 2 hand weapons tend to be the slowest but also strongest
if you are a warrior though, you really shouldn't be punching, need to switch to an axe, great axe, or sword

Bebpo said:
6. What level should I grind the starting areas to before I actually try a quest?

there are many non fighting quests
there's even one that was designed specifically for new players and to reward them with really helpful stuffs
look up wiki on quests in bastok to figure out what you can or can't do
http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Bastok_Quests

missions (which contains the story in FFXI) usually require higher level though

Bebpo said:

look at their names
NPC names are always in green and soemtime have first+last names
RL players are in white and their name is only 1 word

Shouta

Bebpo said:
Questions:

2. What does TP mean?

1. You can buy a sword at the weapon shop or the Auction House in Bastok. Only Beastmen type enemies (and a few exceptions drop) drop money. The bulk of making money comes from selling items to other players. You should also start with one if you're a warrior, just need to equip it if it isn't already.

2. TP stands for Technique Points. They're used to activate Weapon Skills when you have a high enough skill for them. You can use a Weapon Skill at 100 TP and any extra additional TP makes the attack stronger.

3. The job ability you used is what is called a 2-Hour by players because it has a 2-hour recharge time. Those are typically used for emergency situations for a specific reason. You'll gain other job abilities as you level up and those have a far shorter timer.

4. No visible ATB. ATB only affects your attack speed, ATB doesn't cover the rest of your abilities. As you get higher, the game is more focused on when to use your abilities and the like instead of playing the waiting game with an ATB.

5. Combat is slow until you get more stuff to do and more stat enhancing stuff. It's still a relatively slow game compared to other MMOs though.

6. You can start picking up random quests here and there, a lot are just simple fetch quests or low level ones so you can try them out. Level 4 or 5 would be good just so you're familiar with the battle system and controls.

7. NPC monsters are white, and talkable NPCs usually are just standing in place or following a basic AI routine. In some cases, NPCs will have their name in green as well whereas players would be in white.

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks.

Yeah my warrior hume started equipped with a fist that had DEF+1. I also have an onion sword in my inventory at the start but no matter what I did it wouldn't let me equip it for some reason.

I wasn't doing much damage against worms and hornets. Would take about 5-10 hits to kill one and I'd lose half my HP in the process >_<

jiggle

Bebpo said:
Thanks.

Yeah my warrior hume started equipped with a fist that had DEF+1. I also have an onion sword in my inventory at the start but no matter what I did it wouldn't let me equip it for some reason.

I wasn't doing much damage against worms and hornets. Would take about 5-10 hits to kill one and I'd lose half my HP in the process >_<

are you sure u're not on Monk? it's the only other job (besides puppetmaster) than can equip Hand-to-hand weapon
this would explain why you can't use sword?
check under menu or go inside your mog house to "change job"

as for the worms, make sure you're fighting "tunnel worm" not "stone worm"
they're right next to eachother, and stone worms are slightly stronger

Bebpo

Banned
Actually I guess I could equip my sword! Was trying to put it on "hand". Didn't see "main".

I got a missions to go see the overseer in the mines. I'm walking around the mines now killing bats. But how do I heal? I don't have any potions and my HP drops every time I get in a fight...

Shouta

Hit H, that'll put you into a healing postion. Wait a few seconds and you'll start to gain HP back again. Make sure you talk to one of the guards near the gates that lead outside and pick something up called Signet.

Bebpo

Banned
what's a signet? Does that have something to do with the giant "?" next to my name?

So I went through the mines and did the Zehurin Report mission. Hit level 5 with my warrior and some random person in blue name (what does that mean?) had cast protect on me which made my life easier. Then I went and delivered the message at the Metalworks and finished my first quest in an MMO ever!! :D

It was pretty fun, though I dunno if the scale of this game is for me. All the running kills me. Just running through the mines and back and through the metal works took me like 90 mins and that was just for a dinky no reward starting quest! On one hand I'm excited to explore Bastok because it's so HUGE, but on the other hand I really don't want to run around this entire place exploring it because it's going to take HOURS to figure out what everything is, talk to all the NPCs.

Anyhow, I got lots of item drops from the mines. Mainly earth/wind crystals, some flints, a few other things. I put them in my mog house for now. Am I supposed to sell them at the auction house?

I guess since I've never played an MMO I'm not really sure how the game works. Do you just search out the missions/quests in your city and do the ones that you are high enough level and gain levels while doing them and grinding in between if you're not strong enough for any and then at some point find a party to do tougher missions that require multiple people?

Bebpo said:
what's a signet? Does that have something to do with the giant "?" next to my name?

So I went through the mines and did the Zehurin Report mission. Hit level 5 with my warrior and some random person in blue name (what does that mean?) had cast protect on me which made my life easier. Then I went and delivered the message at the Metalworks and finished my first quest in an MMO ever!! :D

It was pretty fun, though I dunno if the scale of this game is for me. All the running kills me. Just running through the mines and back and through the metal works took me like 90 mins and that was just for a dinky no reward starting quest! On one hand I'm excited to explore Bastok because it's so HUGE, but on the other hand I really don't want to run around this entire place exploring it because it's going to take HOURS to figure out what everything is, talk to all the NPCs.

Anyhow, I got lots of item drops from the mines. Mainly earth/wind crystals, some flints, a few other things. I put them in my mog house for now. Am I supposed to sell them at the auction house?

I guess since I've never played an MMO I'm not really sure how the game works. Do you just search out the missions/quests in your city and do the ones that you are high enough level and gain levels while doing them and grinding in between if you're not strong enough for any and then at some point find a party to do tougher missions that require multiple people?

The general progression is that you do quests for items and fame to unlock more quests. Missions (from the guard) advance the storyline. You can generally do a mission once every 10 levels or so with help. Trade excess crystals to the gate guard so you don't need to repeat missions to farm mission rep. Party, level up, explore in between missions. If you talk to someone, get a quest, and feel like doing it, try it out, ask for help if you need it.

Leveling works like this. Level 1-10 solo, then you can start partying. At level 10, you can start level syncing, which means ANYONE regardless of their level can sync down to you to party with you, and everyone gains xp as if they were your level, so there is no down side to helping. At level 18, you can do a quest to unlock sub jobs, this is when the real meat of the game starts to open up. Once you do this, you switch jobs, and level something else for a while. Your subjob will always be half your main jobs level at maximum. What you can do is level Job A to 18, job B to 36, then you can take either job A, or a hypothetical job C (should you unlock one) to 75. Leveling becomes much easier once you get a sub job.

At level 50 you are capped. You must do a series of "limit break" quests in order to progress through the next 5 levels till 75. Most of the expansion content is for level 30-75. The main game (nation missions rank 1-5) can all be completed at level 50 with help.

jiggle

Bebpo said:

Signet is like a badge representing your nation
it affects the weekly nation's standing
but most importantly, it grants you many special benefits
such as not losing TP when resting for HP
and being able to get crystals to drop from killing mobs
it should appear as a blue crystal like icon on the top of your screen, but wears off after a while and need to get it recast

the ? next to your name just tells ppl you are new to the game
it goes away after you reach certain levels or when you logged in for 5+hours

edit: signet also lets you earn CONQUEST POINTS. every mob you kill will get you points. these points can be trade in for special items, like a ring that gives you 50% more experience points. so always remember to get signet!

Bebpo said:
Hit level 5 with my warrior and some random person in blue name (what does that mean?) had cast protect on me which made my life easier.

when a name appears in blue
it means the character is anonymous
when you search his/her name, you won't be able to see any of his public info

Bebpo said:

take advantage of the current "swift shoes" benefit you see in grey message
rest for 30 seconds and a blue icon will pop up, allowing you to run faster
but yeah, you will waste a LOT of time running around in this game
there are ways to alleviate it but the annoyance will always be there

if you think bastok is huge, imagine 2 other starting nation, plus another 2 city hubs where all high players gather, and 4 to 5 small towns
there's a LOT in the game, you're looking at 8 years worth of contents
very easy to get overwhelmed

Bebpo said:

yes sell the crystals in auction house (in stacks of 12. ppl rarely by single ones)
other items of note worth putting on auction house that you can get now are beeswax, and honey
flint stones can be used in a quest in bastok market (u can trade in 4-5 5 flints every game day i think, for small amount of money reward)
beastmen seals you keep forever, you will find use for them later down the road

an item with the icon EX on it, can't be sold or traded, once it's urs, it's urs forever (like the ring u got at the start of the game)

an item with icon RARE on it just means you can only ever carry 1

Bebpo said:

there's no specific rules on how the game works
alot of ppl enjoy just the leveling part
since there are so many different jobs and they all play differently
others enjoy doing group activities,
quests are purely for rewards, so junky ones are usually ignored
there are other activies you can do like fishing, gardening, gathering in wilderness, raising your own chocobo, racing the chocobo etc etc, and seasonal events (you just missed the easter event)

leveling is very important
the higher level you are and the faster you get there
the more stuffs you can do in the game, and the earlier u can do them
and the more zones you can visit

fastest way to get to lv75 is to level bard :D

Deku

Banned
Kandinsky said:
Oh i thought you were asking about doing Zantetsuken 2 times. So in that sense yeah you're back at being a summoner, which is pretty much useless except if you are in the blm party and giving them favor refresh:lol

Kandinsky said:
Thats all im trying to say, it changes nothing.

I'm guessing your LS don't have any summoners or any real summoners who know how to play the job.

Your comments are wrong on so many levels.

A summoner with a fully merited Blood Pact abiliy 2 'magical' merits on any of their avatars are going to do massive and consistent damage every 45 seconds. Those avatar abilities are non tiered (ie: they all do the same damage, not the ice> fire bs ), are hard to resist by most mobs and they do consistent and flat damage and scale expontentially from the TP gained while avatar melee the NM and from the merit upgrades (with essentially add 'hidden' TP to the avatars so their spells do more damage without them having to melee for TP). They've been hardly 'usless' for a very long time. It just took the NA herd mentality crowd a long time to realize this, and apparently, some still haven't.

Also since A Crystaline Prophecy, summoners have been able to add at most +11 Magic Attack Bonus to their avatars, from Gear augments and the Fay weapon quests. That now has been boosted to a possible of +14 (+7 PET MAB from Trial of Magian augments) That is a significant boost to our damage as well.

And Zantetsuken/Perfect Defense not being a game changer ?

I think your parsing your own response, it's certainly a game changer for summoners and i'd say it's significant overall. It really has no equal as spike damage, and the hateless part is just a bonus, albeit a big one at that. Some early records inclue 9999 damage on Campaign NMs, 7500 damage on Odin (Einherjar boss), 5,000 damage on Ultima, and 2 summoners knocking off 8,000 off Jailer of Love.

With refresh/ballads
Zantetsuken> Elemental siphon and a summoner is back in business in a very short order. Granted we can't Zantetsuken twice, but we can do our other abilities and we're not 'knocked out' for an extended period as you seem to suggest

Anyways I'd really suggest you play with real summoners :)

Deku

Banned
Teknoman said:
Actually...now that you mention it...I dont think we really have any career Summoners :lol

Recruitment time?

go for it. they come in handy for almost instanced/end game you do or really almost anything. Just find a decent one.

Because of Astral burns (level sync 'trick' that lets parties get 40-50k exp in minutes from summoner astral flow) , there's just many summoners a 75 who really dont know much about the job, and there's also quite a bit of older summoners who leveled up the old fashioned way that are stuck in 2004 mindset (that is using lvl 70 bloodpacts for everything, and i mean everything) even when its doing pitiful damage. This impart gives the impression summoners are ineffectual.

Any summoner worth their salt would have merited avatar attk/magic attack and have at least unlocked one or more of the tier 2 lvl 75 blood pacts (Garuda's Wind Blade and Shiva's Heavenly Strike are most popular) And if they do, ask if they have it merited beyond level 1. Each level up adds about 40 'hidden tp' to the damage formulae calculation. At lvl 5 , it should add 300-400 extra damage, not include MAB multipliers.

Buggy Loop

Gold Member
Goddamnit, I have not been able to recover my character through SE's service since its always saying playonline is under maintenance, i looked in the information section of the site and everyday there were some servers out but today there are none and i still get the playonline offline message :(

Scott said:
Finally re-installed (360, Ultimate Collection) and re-activated my old character on Sylph. Mithra named 'Kytrinn,' fairly low level (18 WHM, 11 BLM currently), Sandy-based.

It's been so long since I've played regularly, though, so I can't say I know anybody's nicks or who is still around or anything... It's also really freaking early, so I doubt anybody's on, but in that off chance, send me a tell. I'd also appreciate a Linkpearl, whenever somebody's able.

Thanks.
omfg now i have to play some more

Kandinsky

Deku said:
I'm guessing your LS don't have any summoners or any real summoners who know how to play the job.

Your comments are wrong on so many levels.

A summoner with a fully merited Blood Pact abiliy 2 'magical' merits on any of their avatars are going to do massive and consistent damage every 45 seconds. Those avatar abilities are non tiered (ie: they all do the same damage, not the ice> fire bs ), are hard to resist by most mobs and they do consistent and flat damage and scale expontentially from the TP gained while avatar melee the NM and from the merit upgrades (with essentially add 'hidden' TP to the avatars so their spells do more damage without them having to melee for TP). They've been hardly 'usless' for a very long time. It just took the NA herd mentality crowd a long time to realize this, and apparently, some still haven't.

Also since A Crystaline Prophecy, summoners have been able to add at most +11 Magic Attack Bonus to their avatars, from Gear augments and the Fay weapon quests. That now has been boosted to a possible of +14 (+7 PET MAB from Trial of Magian augments) That is a significant boost to our damage as well.

And Zantetsuken/Perfect Defense not being a game changer ?

I think your parsing your own response, it's certainly a game changer for summoners and i'd say it's significant overall. It really has no equal as spike damage, and the hateless part is just a bonus, albeit a big one at that. Some early records inclue 9999 damage on Campaign NMs, 7500 damage on Odin (Einherjar boss), 5,000 damage on Ultima, and 2 summoners knocking off 8,000 off Jailer of Love.

With refresh/ballads
Zantetsuken> Elemental siphon and a summoner is back in business in a very short order. Granted we can't Zantetsuken twice, but we can do our other abilities and we're not 'knocked out' for an extended period as you seem to suggest

Anyways I'd really suggest you play with real summoners :)
Man im glad your LS is open minded like that, do you lead it?:lol

/fake summoner

Scott

Bebpo, what's your character name? I'm more than willing to hop over to Bastok for a little bit and help you out. I'm only a Level 20 WHM, but it'll help the early leveling go much faster anyway. Plus, I know Bastok really well, so I can help you do some quicky quests and such if you want. Just let me know. :)
SpiderJerusalem said:
omfg now i have to play some more
YES! DO IT, DO IT!

B.K.

Is there any reason why Water Crystals are selling for so much right now? They're going for about 500 Gil each at the auction house in Jeuno. A stack goes for 1,000.

Edit: I just checked the auction house site. Water Crystals are going for over 700 each right now. I need to get back to Jueno tonight and put as many as I can on sale. I've got almost two stacks. That would be a decent amount of gil.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Deku said:

It's a convenience not a game changer. In the end the mobs are fought exactly the same way they always are. All Odin gives is a slightly shorter fight. And it's only really effective on mobs with a TON of HP to get that percent damage up. The strat for the fight has not changed at all. Once Odin does his thing, everything goes back to normal. My LS is very big on end game and loves Summoners. I got to play alot with Odin as the first Summoner in our shell to get him, and we all loved getting about 7500 knocked off Wyrm in the KS99 fight. Game changers are things that significantly change the way enemies are fought (Level cap to 99, THATS a game changer).

If Odin's could stack damage, that would be something (you can have multiple Odins go off at once, but they will each do sequentially less damage). But it makes sense SE didn't allow that or you'd have a SMN ally one shot Tiamat or something.

As for Alexander, I can see occasional uses but with Odin damage capability, I don't see him getting much use except maybe as someone else to get rotated in during non BC fights where you melee zerg (looking forward to next Kirin fight with LS).

Bebpo

Banned
Thanks guys, my player name is "bebpo". I'm going to try to play a few hours each night (probably after 8-9pm PST) and learn about this game.

I tried to added the people in the OP but I couldn't figure out how to add people to your friendlist. Can you only add people currently in the game with you?

jiggle

Bebpo said:
Thanks guys, my player name is "bebpo". I'm going to try to play a few hours each night (probably after 8-9pm PST) and learn about this game.

I tried to added the people in the OP but I couldn't figure out how to add people to your friendlist. Can you only add people currently in the game with you?

nope, should work even if ppl are not on
type /befriend __name__

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom