• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Shouta said:
I can help you with it just let me know, I saw you on but you didn't say anything.

I should be on quite a bit later today, so maybe you can help me out then if your'e on. Still gotta get to 30 first, but I doubt that should take too long. I almost forced myself to grind to 30 this morning, but I started making some really dumb mistakes which usually means its time to call it a night.

Max said:
What's the draw distance add on?

edit: can't connect, servers down for maintenance again or something?

www.windower.net

Shouta said:
Running ok for me.

I don't think many people in the GAF LS currently need the mini-xpacs as those pieces of gear aren't as good anymore plus a lot of folks are new and a bit lower level. I need to do them myself though but I live in a JP timezone so.

I'm still not done with MKD or ASA, and I wanna redo the ACP fight.

Varna

I've been trying to get into the groove... but I can't do it any more. I've started from scratch three times before, gained a lot of levels and a lot of equipment and I just can't do it again. If I could have been able to get my newest avatar back the way I left him I would definitely be playing, but I can't force myself through that initial hump again. Doesn't help that the game is running like shit on the best hardware I've ever had.

Guess there is always hope that FF14 will turn out decent in the end. I do desperately want to play another mmo like FFXI... just not FFXI again.

hgplayer1

Varna said:
I've been trying to get into the groove... but I can't do it any more. I've started from scratch three times before, gained a lot of levels and a lot of equipment and I just can't do it again. If I could have been able to get my newest avatar back the way I left him I would definitely be playing, but I can't force myself through that initial hump again. Doesn't help that the game is running like shit on the best hardware I've ever had.

Guess there is always hope that FF14 will turn out decent in the end. I do desperately want to play another mmo like FFXI... just not FFXI again.

I dont think you can hope for XIV to have content any time soon to the degree that XI has right now.

The grind is definitely a huge hurdle to get over but its easier now than ever.

I had a below average Dunes experience last night but it was still more fun that Ive had in XIV in a while.

Shouta said:
You'll want to give it a few days before you go into abyssea so you have stones and then you'll want to work on getting the abyssites that speed up stone generation.
I'll do just that. I want to complete the first quest, then I'll be looking at doing Trial 68. Sounds nice and relaxing. I should really look for a social LS to fill my chat window.

Varna

hgplayer1 said:
I dont think you can hope for XIV to have content any time soon to the degree that XI has right now.

The grind is definitely a huge hurdle to get over but its easier now than ever.

I had a below average Dunes experience last night but it was still more fun that Ive had in XIV in a while.

I don't expect to to be there this year... It will take a while I know.

It's not really the leveling. Last time I played the field bonuses were introduced and that made it so much easier to solo those first 15 (I even went as high as 20 with one job) levels. Now you get crazy amounts (like 150) for decent challenge mobs which is just crazy to me after playing for so many years and only getting 50. But I can't go through the horrors of getting all my rare items (leaping boots, emperor's hairpin and all that) and just grinding for cash.

Are there any other mmos like FFXI out there?

Varna said:
I don't expect to to be there this year... It will take a while I know.

It's not really the leveling. Last time I played the field bonuses were introduced and that made it so much easier to solo those first 15 (I even went as high as 20 with one job) levels. Now you get crazy amounts (like 150) for decent challenge mobs which is just crazy to me after playing for so many years and only getting 50. But I can't go through the horrors of getting all my rare items (leaping boots, emperor's hairpin and all that) and just grinding for cash.

Are there any other mmos like FFXI out there?

Many of those pieces are not as sought after anymore. Not to mention you can just grab the rare version instead of camping the rare/ex one when you have gil. If you happen to get lucky and get claim, you can always /slap the LS thief (sup) to come th6 it for you.

Got my Beastmaster job a few hours ago. It wasn't that hard to do a few shouts in Port Jueno, and have a friendly Beastmaster answer my call to join their ranks. Excited to finally have my main job, and I think I have a lot of reading up to do on how I should approach this job. But 1-14 is gonna be me just mimicking what I did as a WAR during those levels. Can't wait till the job gets interesting.

Shouta

As pancakes pointed out Varna, a lot of stuff isn't highly sought after or needed anymore because the level cap has risen. For example, the Ochiudo's Kote that used to be so sought after is only like 100-150k now compared to 500k or higher and the Horomusha Kote, the alternative to it is like 60k-80k now.

Those pieces really only help leveling as they aren't as important at 90 anymore so I don't think you need to feel like it's an imperative to get them back. And you can simply camp the R/E versions of it with pan's help or any of us.

B.K.

They really need to raise the cap on Dedication rings. With the experience boost, they don't last very long now.

hgplayer1 said:
oh cmon! xp flows like water now!
So true. I had my first a-konchatka party last night and I capped my 75 xp as well as got 14 merit points. I left to break my lvl cap and now I can get to 80. I was surprised how easy it was to get a pt invite as a pup/dnc.

Shouta

B.K. said:
I need tabs. What's a good field manual and page to do to get some quick tabs?

Any will do. Generally though, tabs are a certain percentage of the XP you gained from the FOV so you gain more when you do higher level FOVs. If you're leveling a job, I'd just keep doing it and be a little stingy with tabs until you have a solid supply.

Anslon said:
So true. I had my first a-konchatka party last night and I capped my 75 xp as well as got 14 merit points. I left to break my lvl cap and now I can get to 80. I was surprised how easy it was to get a pt invite as a pup/dnc.

The last abyssea expansion areas, Uleguerand, Altepa, and Grauberg have the fastest XP so I'd recommend trying those if you bought the last Abyssea expansion.

Also, PUP/NIN or if you have the healers to back you up, PUP/WAR. /DNC isn't terribly useful for XPing in a large group. If you don't have atmas yet, you can definitely do PUP/WAR without much of a problem.

Shouta said:
The last abyssea expansion areas, Uleguerand, Altepa, and Grauberg have the fastest XP so I'd recommend trying those if you bought the last Abyssea expansion.

Also, PUP/NIN or if you have the healers to back you up, PUP/WAR. /DNC isn't terribly useful for XPing in a large group. If you don't have atmas yet, you can definitely do PUP/WAR without much of a problem.

It was the only SJ I had leveled to 37. I didn't know the third one had gone live. Btw, what are Atmas?

ZetaEpyon

Shouta said:
I don't think many people in the GAF LS currently need the mini-xpacs as those pieces of gear aren't as good anymore plus a lot of folks are new and a bit lower level. I need to do them myself though but I live in a JP timezone so.

pancakesandsex said:
I'm still not done with MKD or ASA, and I wanna redo the ACP fight.

I haven't finished ACP, and haven't even started MKD or ASA. Definitely interested in doing them sometime, though, even if the rewards are outclassed by other stuff now.

ZetaEpyon said:
I haven't finished ACP, and haven't even started MKD or ASA. Definitely interested in doing them sometime, though, even if the rewards are outclassed by other stuff now.

Good for leveling subs.

lol

i just impulse bought the Ultimate Collection for the 360 ($9.99 at amazon.)

not sure why. never played an MMO consistently. morbid curiosity?

that's my story!

What class should I choose for maximum fun in a 30 day period. I understand I'm expected to kill bees for days or something before the game picks up.

edit: I'm an idiot, it's the same price on Steam and I seemed to have forgotten that this game will run on anything. welp, back to amazon that goes. I'm not playing this with a controller...

ZetaEpyon

With the more recent updates, you can get leveled up to where you can party with others much more quickly than in the past. Personally, I'd recommend starting out as Warrior, unless you only want to play mage jobs. It's probably the quickest of the starting melee classes, and it's a useful subjob for just about everything anyway.

Most of us are on the Sylph server, if you join us there, we can help you out. Once you're in-game, send a tell to any of the sackholders, and we can hook you up.

ZetaEpyon said:
With the more recent updates, you can get leveled up to where you can party with others much more quickly than in the past. Personally, I'd recommend starting out as Warrior, unless you only want to play mage jobs. It's probably the quickest of the starting melee classes, and it's a useful subjob for just about everything anyway.

Most of us are on the Sylph server, if you join us there, we can help you out. Once you're in-game, send a tell to any of the sackholders, and we can hook you up.

alright, I'll hop on that server once I get this game going. Thanks!

Scott

While I prefer to play Mage jobs in the end, I tend to agree with starting out as a melee character, to get your bearings and used to the gameplay. They're simple to pick up, and not nearly as expensive to start out as. Plus, as Zeta just stated, it's so much quicker to blaze through the low-levels now, you'll only lose a matter of hours toying around with jobs now, instead of days.

Anyway, as he said, if you join the Sylph server, make sure to look up one of the Pearlsack holders if you want to join the LS and get some help right off the bat. Player list is here (work in progress): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=26095347&postcount=426

Also, you may change your mind pretty quickly about using a controller, even on PC.

thus far:
--$10 on steam, sweet
--only 9gb install sweet
--play online viewer is janky and reminds of the fake internet in anime shows
--playonline is downloading stuff, but it's short, no problem
--cheesy jazz...kinda cute
--argh, weird registration stuff, but I should be playing soon.
--now it wants a credit card number? can't I give that up later? no problem, I guess. Should be playing in a minute.
--this CC verification stuff is all kinds of weird. Chase somehow managed to advertise one of its services within S-E's online verification service. I can see lovely de-registration phone calls for random shit I didn't do in my near future.
--Ah ha! FFXI's top screen! Finally I'm in a menu!
--Wait, am i in playonline or FFXI?
--There's the "Play" button- hit it fast!
--WTF WHAT DO YOU MEAN I CAN'T PLAY YET
--begrudgingly registering yet another name...I think that's three now.
--sidenote: lol at the internal outlook-esque program...how on Earth is this a good idea? Why not link my gmail account instead? Not to be racist, but this whole playonline thing has "quirky and terrible japanese design decisions" written all over it.
--Ok, I've got my 30 day pass! LET'S PLAY!!!!
--Hits play
--More updates? ok, i'll go check gmail for a sec
--Goes back to play
--9 HOURS AND 9 MINUTES AND 36 SECONDS OF UPDATES REMAINING

"fuck this shit!"
JIPru.png

Sorry guys, I tried :(

I put up with a lot of gaming BS-- drm, dlc, dlc on disc, persistent internet connection requirements, etc. but busting out the incredibly long update after they got my credit card number and made me think I'd be playing soon-- that finally pushed me too far.

Scott

It doesn't actually take that long, it will update itself as it figures out your connection speed and such. Took me about 4-6 hours, I think, from a clean 360 install (IIRC). But, you have to figure, it got fairly large content updates every other month for the majority of the last 9 years, so it's a little understandable... then again, should be on the disc, but hey, shortsighted design decisions plagued this game for years. :p

I'd say just leave it patching overnight, as there's no reason not to at this point. If you decide to do this and play tomorrow, just let me know if you want to pick a time to get somebody to help you out. I'm fairly low level on my newish character, but I've got a level 20 White Mage that can help out in a pinch while you get your bearings. :)

Desi

Whenever I end up installing FFXI on a new PC or system I just do it overnight. My current game PC doesn't have it on it and I fear the patches. there is a faster way to grab the patches but I don't follow a lot of news regarding that.

Smision said:
Sorry guys, I tried :(

I put up with a lot of gaming BS-- drm (POL), dlc (Patches), dlc on disc (Boxed expansions), persistent internet connection requirements (MMORPG), etc. but busting out the incredibly long update after they got my credit card number and made me think I'd be playing soon-- that finally pushed me too far.

What style game did you think you would be playing?

That's probably the best idea. It's a shame they've done little to streamline the process in all this time...but FFXI has been kinda infamous for its retardedly long setup process since day 1 of beta back in the day. :)

It's all worth it! I swear! Just try not to force yourself into reinstalling again at any point....I think I've sit through that shit like at least 15 times.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah, the time estimates are usually pretty conservative. So long as you're not updating during a major update, the download will likely go by very, very quickly. I did a clean install a few months ago, maybe took 3 hours.

Shouta

Man, getting sea gorgets is sure a lot easier. I don't think they buffed the drop rates so it must be because I can kill the mobs like 10x faster. The low-level Yovra was mega-easy too aside from stripping me naked.

Shouta said:
Man, getting sea gorgets is sure a lot easier. I don't think they buffed the drop rates so it must be because I can kill the mobs like 10x faster. The low-level Yovra was mega-easy too aside from stripping me naked.

Do you need a gorget? I have an extra one.

Shouta

Bought the actual gorget last night, was only 10k. I got 8 of the Xzmoits and 3-4 of the Hpmede organs I needed in like an hour or two last night. I just need the remaining ones and a Yovra to get my thunder gorget to help out Victory Smite.

ronito

So I just got to level 18 WHM.
Time to get the skull.
Before it was impossible to take a ghoul solo at lvl 18. But then before it was also impossible to solo to 18. So, do I have to party to get it? Or que?

Shouta

Probably still a tough solo at 18 but it might be possible, if you need help with it, I can get it for ya.

ronito

Shouta said:
Probably still a tough solo at 18 but it might be possible, if you need help with it, I can get it for ya.
thanks for the help!
now just for the apron and the fly.
thanks again!

Zomba13

Just heard from a friend that more server merges will happen. Apparently Alexander will be merged into Shiva.
I liked Alexander. Best Summon/avatar/eidolon/whatever. Nothing beats giant holy castle robot. Now our LS will be on Shiva :(

Scott

Details:
World Merge will be performed during the upcoming maintenance scheduled for Mar. 16, 2011. Once the maintenance is complete, characters from the "Source Worlds" will be migrated automatically to the "Destination Worlds."
The following is a list of Worlds designated for the World Merge.

Source World -> Destination World

Ramuh -> Bahamut
Alexander -> Shiva
Titan -> Phoenix
Gilgamesh -> Curbuncle
Unicorn -> Fenrir
Ifrit -> Odin
Diabolos -> Siren
Caitsith -> Ragnarok

* Other Worlds will not be affected.
Source: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/polnews/news20492.shtml

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Zomba13 said:
Just heard from a friend that more server merges will happen. Apparently Alexander will be merged into Shiva.
I liked Alexander. Best Summon/avatar/eidolon/whatever. Nothing beats giant holy castle robot. Now our LS will be on Shiva :(

Pro-Tip if you're getting moved.

Have one of your LS leaders set up a mule on that server now to get a LS pearl and reserve your LS name.

B.K.

What's a good place to solo at 47? I've been waiting over a hour for a party and haven't gotten a single tell yet. I hate trying to level during the week.

B.K. said:
What's a good place to solo at 47? I've been waiting over a hour for a party and haven't gotten a single tell yet. I hate trying to level during the week.

I think you can get away with going page 5 in the first jungle at that level as long as you have some kind of damage mitigation.

Shouta

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Field_Manual

Check out that list. Find something in your general level recommended level range and go for it. I'd recommend aiming lower than your intended level so that kills are fast and you can use the book more often for the XP from it. Killing stuff roughly in your range is fine too but it takes a bit longer.

B.K.

Shouta said:
Killing stuff roughly in your range is fine too but it takes a bit longer.

But the good thing is I would get some decent skill ups as long as the enemy is a decent challenge.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
But the good thing is I would get some decent skill ups as long as the enemy is a decent challenge.

I wouldnt even worry about skillups until youre leveling what you consider your main overall job.

Theyve made adjustments to skill up gains so its much easier now then ever before.

Focus on exp/hr. worry about skill ups later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom