• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wwm0nkey

pancakesandsex said:
That's what you're getting. It's also a lot less user friendly than PSU, but if you can get used to that, it's so so good.
Ok good, because I admire PSU for being simple, it just got boring after awhile though :/

hgplayer1

wwm0nkey said:
Well I would like something that is more complex than PSU and A LOT bigger than PSU too.

In my opinion, PSU (Phantasy Star Online games in general) is more fun than work most of the time. FFXI is more work than fun most of the time. Ive enjoyed both for different reasons and have put lots of time into both.

If you plan to bail out before the trial period is over you probably wont get a whole lot out of it.

Also if you are planning to play it on the 360 you might get some crashes during events where a large number of players is involved like Besieged or Campaign Battles. Those are a long ways away from starting a new game but they are there and something to be aware of.

wwm0nkey said:
Hmm what would be a good race to choose? Im usually more of a sword and magic guy. I could go for either of those.

If you ask me I wouldn't choose your race based on what you want to do. It's totally valid to enjoy whatever jobs you want with whatever race.

Mithra and Hume would be good choices going just by race stats, though. Tarutaru are great spellcasters but weak fighters, and Elvaan are strong fighters but mediocre spellcasters.

Skill is more important than race, and there is plenty of special equipment you can acquire that will help you cover your weak areas.

wwm0nkey

Guess im going with Hume

Also this was annoying as hell to set up on my 360 but atleast the actual game update is only taking like 30min.

wwm0nkey said:
Guess im going with Hume

Also this was annoying as hell to set up on my 360 but atleast the actual game update is only taking like 30min.

Yeah the setup is like an idiot/patience filter. Grats, you passed.

Entwain

I haven't played in years but bought this on a whim again, now I can't even get onto the server where my friend plays due to the server merge till the update. Who knows when that'll be :(

wwm0nkey

Im enjoying the game for the most part right now. 3 of my friends are also getting it :D

Also at the above post its up already :lol

hgplayer1

Shouta said:
4am pacific.

for reals dog?

I also read it as 4pm but its not like it would have mattered much to me since Im at work all day.....but I wont be working late thats for sure. :)

Went back and reread the announcement from SE and it doesnt say a.m. or p.m. it just says 4:00 PDT.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
lol, well, barring any "am" or "pm" indicators, 4:00 would default to AM, I guess. I actually thought it was PM too, for a little while.

@ shouta - you able to play, or did you leave all your stuff in Japan?

B.K.

How do you buy Visions of Abyssea? I was going to, but I can't find the option. I hate all the menus at the title screen. They couldn't have made them any harder to use if they'd tried.

Edit: Finally got it. What a pain. I hope they make this kind of thing easier to do with XIV, when it gets expansions and add-ons.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
I need some help tomorrow, if anyone is available. I'd like to get my Artifact Armor. I need to do these quests:

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Dark_Puppet

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Borghertz's_Shadowy_Hands (Eldieme Necropolis, Monastic Cavern, and Castle Oztroja)

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Blade_of_Evil

I've already started Dark Puppet. I'm ready to head to Ordelle's Caves to fight the NMs.

what time will you be on tomorrow?

also who are you?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Hi Gaf, i need help.

Dont know but i cant activate a damm CC on my US account.

Can anyone help?

I will give 1 year sub by paypal.

Please PM :)

hgplayer1

wwm0nkey said:
Ok this game is a but slow but I still like it, just need to get out of this beginning area XD

see your gonna need to be patient because youre gonna need to level subjobs too and youll be back in those starting areas again soon enough.

are you on Sylph? whats your characters name?

Shouta

Gromph said:
Hi Gaf, i need help.

Dont know but i cant activate a damm CC on my US account.

Can anyone help?

I will give 1 year sub by paypal.

Please PM :)

Are you trying to activate on a console?

Shouta

Hrm, I'll look into it. I think I've heard of folks having problems with CCs because of the security check.

I think Kandinsky ran into that problem.

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
Shouta said:
Hrm, I'll look into it. I think I've heard of folks having problems with CCs because of the security check.

I think Kandinsky ran into that problem.

I pass the new 3D verify with my GF CC but when i try to add to the account, they deny.

so if anyone with US CC can help i will reward :)

wwm0nkey

hgplayer1 said:
see your gonna need to be patient because youre gonna need to level subjobs too and youll be back in those starting areas again soon enough.

are you on Sylph? whats your characters name?
Oh I dont mind this starting area but I just like to explore :D

Also yeah im in that server, my characters name is Weylin.

hgplayer1

wwm0nkey said:
Hey I dont have a keyboard just so you guys know so if you message me I can't reply back.

lol you really should get a keyboard if you plan to play this game a while

also whats your gamertag?

wwm0nkey

hgplayer1 said:
lol you really should get a keyboard if you plan to play this game a while

also whats your gamertag?
yeah I know, getting s cheap $10 USB keyboard here today probably.

also my GT is wwm0nkey (the 0 is the zero)

Kntj

Entwain said:
So does anyone play on gilgamesh? Just reinstated my account and my highest is a 32 bst.
Me, nickname is Kyntaja (highest is lvl52 PLD). I don't usually play more than maybe 5 hours a week, though.

hgplayer1

So I'm having pretty decent luck camping these NMs for my Scythe trials but its kind of boring.

Im just glad I can solo all of them up to now. I know I would have a hard time getting help to come out and sit and wait for hours on end.

I have been lucky enough to run into another player going for the same NM quite a few times so hopefully that trend continues.

B.K.

I just finished Limit Break 4. Just nine more levels and I can try to fight Maat.

Pancakes helped me get some of my AF over the weekend. I still need to get my feet and helmet. Those two are probably going to be the worst since you have to fight NMs to get them.

ZetaEpyon

Well, sounds like Dynamis is indeed going to be a lot different.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/237

Defintely sounds Abyssea-ish to me, and the lowered Ancient Currency rate is definitely interesting to see... Still lacking information on whether these are instanced or not. Based on the way things are worded, and the fact that mobs will repop, I would guess not.

I wonder if there's any real point to taking more than a full alliance of 18 for most stuff now...

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
Well, sounds like Dynamis is indeed going to be a lot different.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/237

Defintely sounds Abyssea-ish to me, and the lowered Ancient Currency rate is definitely interesting to see... Still lacking information on whether these are instanced or not. Based on the way things are worded, and the fact that mobs will repop, I would guess not.

I wonder if there's any real point to taking more than a full alliance of 18 for most stuff now...

The King is dead ..... long live the King?

It looks like its goodbye to 4 hour Dynamis sessions which I loved and hated.

I'll let you smart guys tell me why I should and shouldnt be excited for this but having more convenient access to Dynamis seems like a good thing.

Ancient Currency rate will be lowered per session but they expect it to increase the amount distributed across the world. Relic gear drop rates will remain horrible.

ZetaEpyon

Relic drop rates horrible?
I was under the understanding that they drop like candy now in comparison to ye olden days.

Personally, I'm still generally positive on the changes, as the main thing I'd want out of it is relic gear. I have no intention of building a relic weapon, so the currency aspect doesn't really affect me. Being able to do Dynamis every day (if you wanted) with the same drop rates should greatly increase the accessibility of relic armor pieces.

But, I haven't been actively involved in Dynamis in several years. I'm sure pancakesandsex has a different view. :)

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
Relic drop rates horrible?
I was under the understanding that they drop like candy now in comparison to ye olden days.

Personally, I'm still generally positive on the changes, as the main thing I'd want out of it is relic gear. I have no intention of building a relic weapon, so the currency aspect doesn't really affect me. Being able to do Dynamis every day (if you wanted) with the same drop rates should greatly increase the accessibility of relic armor pieces.

But, I haven't been actively involved in Dynamis in several years. I'm sure pancakesandsex has a different view. :)

Well the last time I did a run the drops werent great but there were enough to go around. Im pretty sure that was before the adjustments they made though so yeah it may be better than horrible.

B.K.

When's this update going to be? I really need to hurry to 65. I want to try the current Dynamis system at least once before it changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom