• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Allard

B.K. said:
When's this update going to be? I really need to hurry to 65. I want to try the current Dynamis system at least once before it changes.

They mentioned a couple weeks ago it was scheduled for mid-late April but has now been delayed till May due to the Earthquake.

drkOne

So I decided to reactivate my account, now downloading the huge amount of updates.
I was on Garuda, so I got moved to Lakshmi.
I've been looking around and Killing Ifrit forums appear to be pretty much dead, so I don't even know where to look for a social LS with decent activity.
Last couple things I did on FFXI were Salvage and Nyzul Isle runs. My equip is probably worthless now and worse than AH gear.

How big is the GAF community on Sylph? I'd be playing mainly during GMT hours and don't want to be all alone just leveling and crafting.
What are you guys normally up to?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
drkOne said:
So I decided to reactivate my account, now downloading the huge amount of updates.
I was on Garuda, so I got moved to Lakshmi.
I've been looking around and Killing Ifrit forums appear to be pretty much dead, so I don't even know where to look for a social LS with decent activity.
Last couple things I did on FFXI were Salvage and Nyzul Isle runs. My equip is probably worthless now and worse than AH gear.

How big is the GAF community on Sylph? I'd be playing mainly during GMT hours and don't want to be all alone just leveling and crafting.
What are you guys normally up to?

ffxah is probably the main community forum now.

Shouta

Allakhazam has folks too but not as many as ffxiah now probably.

GAF LS should have some folks, but it might be empty depending on timezone, not as many folks still. I'll be playing on JP time again soon.

Kandinsky

* [dev1006] Merit Point Adjustments

o The upcoming version update will see an increase to maximum limit for point allocation in certain merit point categories.

+ Maximum Total Ability Increase by Category

# HP/MP: Increased from 8 to 12
# Attributes: Increased from 5 to 8
# Combat Skills: Increased from 20 to 32
# Magic Skills: Increased from 16 to 24
# Others: Increased from 8 to 10

+ Maximum Number of Upgrades by Ability

# HP/MP: Increased from 8 to 12
# Attributes: Increased from 5 to 8
# Others: Increased from 4 to 5
Cool stuff.

Shouta

Yeah, I saw that before I went to bed last night. Cool shit. I just hope they adjust merits for some of the jobs as well.

ZetaEpyon

Big news on the official forums today, the roadmap for the next 12 months is out:
http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/4937

A few things I found of particular note (other than previously known stuff):
  • "Voidwatch" and "Grounds of Valor" systems in May (Voidwatch info)
  • Test server opening in July
  • Level cap increase to 95 in August

A public test server? Man, they really have changed things up over there in the past year or so. Never saw this one coming.

Curious to see what Grounds of Valor is.

ZetaEpyon

Dropping PS2 would be a start, but the problem is how tied together the graphics rendering and the mechanics of the game are (hence the 30fps cap). It's just a bad design to begin with; the mechanics should have been completely independent from the visuals. If it was like that, they could keep the PS2 with the current graphics, and update the other platforms as appropriate.

wwm0nkey

ZetaEpyon said:
Dropping PS2 would be a start, but the problem is how tied together the graphics rendering and the mechanics of the game are (hence the 30fps cap). It's just a bad design to begin with; the mechanics should have been completely independent from the visuals. If it was like that, they could keep the PS2 with the current graphics, and update the other platforms as appropriate.
So then they will have to drop PS2 to upgrade. How about they just give the PS2 users a free copy of the PC version since it already works with their PlayOnline ID anyways.

B.K.

I'm glad they're merging the auction houses. I wonder if they're merge them all into one. That would be the best thing to do. Especially since the starting cities have nothing on their AHs.

B.K. said:
I'm glad they're merging the auction houses. I wonder if they're merge them all into one. That would be the best thing to do. Especially since the starting cities have nothing on their AHs.

Pretty sure everything will run on what is now the "Jeuno" auction house.

B.K.

I just got finished going to all six Abyssea areas that I have with Visions and Scars so I can teleport to their Maws and unlocked the first Confluxes in each area.

B.K.

Does anyone need Aspir? I'd like to get it, but I need either three mages to go with me or someone with the Portal Charm.

Kandinsky

B.K. said:
Does anyone need Aspir? I'd like to get it, but I need either three mages to go with me or someone with the Portal Charm.
I'll help you out with that, remind me whenever you see me online.

B.K.

I can't get it anyway. My Windurst reputation is just 2. I thought it would be higher than that since I'd done the Only the Best quest so much.

Home

After quiting Cata and Rift, I was thinking of making a return to vana'diel (characters are on Phoenix). I quit in OCT at level 85, I was wondering if people still make those large groups and enter Abyssea for EXP and merits? I'd assume linkshells still do for empyreans and AF gear, but do pugs still exist?

Thanks

Kandinsky

Home said:
After quiting Cata and Rift, I was thinking of making a return to vana'diel (characters are on Phoenix). I quit in OCT at level 85, I was wondering if people still make those large groups and enter Abyssea for EXP and merits? I'd assume linkshells still do for empyreans and AF gear, but do pugs still exist?

Thanks
Yes even more so these days lol

Loto

Caved in and started playing again... Feels weird, the last time I played was last May.

I am getting a strange message. At the login screen its telling my not all of my expansions are installed. On the menu screen the Rise of Zilart name is not highlighted. I assume thats what is giving me the error. I went into registered expansions and its showing up there. I did a fresh install before I started up again.

Any ideas?

ZetaEpyon

Ahhh, finally a (sort of) respectable dagger!
The results of 2,400 weaponskills and a couple dozen hours of time over the last week(ish):
fusetto.jpg

Loto said:
Caved in and started playing again... Feels weird, the last time I played was last May.

I am getting a strange message. At the login screen its telling my not all of my expansions are installed. On the menu screen the Rise of Zilart name is not highlighted. I assume thats what is giving me the error. I went into registered expansions and its showing up there. I did a fresh install before I started up again.

Any ideas?

What did you use to install it? Original CDs, collection package, Steam?
Seems weird that the expansions don't show up. Is it all of them or just some?

Loto

ZetaEpyon said:
What did you use to install it? Original CDs, collection package, Steam?
Seems weird that the expansions don't show up. Is it all of them or just some?

I am using the original discs from 2003. RoZ is the one not highlighted, and I assume its what's giving me the error. CoP, ToA, and WoG are all showing up fine.

I am doing the file check thats on POL right now. I don't understand why RoZ is not installed, its part of the original install CD LOL.

ZetaEpyon

Loto said:
I am using the original discs from 2003. RoZ is the one not highlighted, and I assume its what's giving me the error. CoP, ToA, and WoG are all showing up fine.

I am doing the file check thats on POL right now. I don't understand why RoZ is not installed, its part of the original install CD LOL.

Assuming you already knew this, but just in case...
Zilart is a separate installer from the install for XI itself. I think there are 4? discs in that package:
1 - POL/TetraMaster
2 - FFXI disc 1
3 - FFXI disc 2
4 - Zilart

ZetaEpyon

New dev item for today:
The upcoming major version update will see the following adjustments made to Abyssea:
  • New Ways to Obtain Empyrean Upgrade Items
  • Empyrean +1 seals will be made obtainable via new battlefields.
  • Empyrean +2 items will be made obtainable from notorious monsters in additional Abyssea areas as follows:
    • Heroes of Abyssea area items will also appear in Scars of Abyssea.
    • Scars of Abyssea area items will also appear in Vision of Abyssea.

• Visitant Light Status
    In addition to visitant duration remaining, players will be able to inspect their active lights when healing.

• Notorious Monster Weaknesses
    The following blue magic spells will no longer be effective against enemy weaknesses:
    Death Ray / Blitzstrahl / Hecatomb Wave / 1000 Needles / Frost Breath / Firespit / Regurgitation / Seedspray
Doesn't look like anything too major to me. I don't really know what sort of impact the Blue Magic change will have though.
Would be nice if they made the seal rewards for doing dominion ops less random somehow...

Shouta

Light status sounds great and hopefully the +1 and +2 items are easier to get because I want to blue my PUP set and shit like that.

Home

Really enjoying Abyssea exp, even though I'm quite behind gear wise with the rest of my ls mates (quit just before heroes). Got 2 jobs to 90 in 2 days, a lot of fun.

Kandinsky

B.K. said:
I haven't been able to get a party since Monday. I'm starting to have flashbacks to 2004.
Get heroes, ill help you out with your leveling, unless you really want to xp in a classic 6 man party@lolibris.

B.K.

Kandinsky said:
Get heroes, ill help you out with your leveling, unless you really want to xp in a classic 6 man party@lolibris.

Bought it last night and already went to the Maws in Xarcarbard and the Gustaburgs so I can teleport back to them.

A friend and I have decided to give this game a try again starting from scratch. I stopped playing around the time the Aht Urghan (spelling?) expansion came out. I hear that the game is a lot different now, but I'm not sure what is different about it. Would somebody be kind enough to let me know the main/huge changes? I know I could probably read through patch notes to find out the changes, but I'd rather not have to search through several years worth of them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BentMyWookiee said:
A friend and I have decided to give this game a try again starting from scratch. I stopped playing around the time the Aht Urghan (spelling?) expansion came out. I hear that the game is a lot different now, but I'm not sure what is different about it. Would somebody be kind enough to let me know the main/huge changes? I know I could probably read through patch notes to find out the changes, but I'd rather not have to search through several years worth of them.

At low levels the biggest change you'll notice is the level synch. People of any level can party together and earn experience, by synching to the lowest level person (or any person) in the party. They don't need to carry around specialized gear as high level gear will be nerfed for whatever level you're being synched to. This makes leveling much easier as you don't need to find that one specific job at that one specific level. You just need the job.

That's about all you would notice at a beginner's position. The biggest change has been Abyssea. It allows high level alliances to earn experience at a very very fast rate. You can enter starting at level 30, but really can't do anything but leech until you're 70+. If you have friends who will let you leech, it is possible to go from level 30 to 90 in a good full day of grinding.

Boss Man

BentMyWookiee said:
Basically, you can do most of everything (including leveling) by yourself or with small groups on your own terms. The game is much more open to logging on and playing instead of spending several hours finding/building a group and hoping that they've all set enough time aside to accomplish the task.

There have been big boosts to gaining Experience Points:
You get more EXP for EP-DC.
Overall EXP boost.
Fields of Valor (basically free EXP every 5-6 kills and support like regen and refresh).
Abyssea (at 30 if you want to leech, or 75+ legitimately) will have you gaining EXP like you couldn't have imagined before.

A lot of restrictions have been lifted:
CoP has no level caps on it now.
I think most of the nation missions have/are going to be the same.
End-game content, in its current form, does not require huge alliances. Actually, most of it can be done with a MNK and a WHM.
You generally do not have to waste time trying to join six-man EXP parties at all. I believe most people (or at least, they should) solo to 30.

For soloing, I recommend:
10-15 Starter Zone
15-20 Tele Zone
20-30 Valkurm Dunes

Just roll through EP-DC mobs and you'll be 30 in no time at all. Slows down a bit by the time you hit 30 and would go to Qufim to solo, but at that point you have more options.

tl;dr
The game goes a lot faster and it goes at your own pace. For starting back up in particular; you can log on and immediately start working on EXP or whatever, and log off whenever you want and continue it later.

There's a convenient NPC in the starter towns right by the gate to go outside now. They'll give you a free EXP ring, meat jerky, re-raise earring, and other nice stuff.

Wow, thanks for the info! The changes really sound awesome and like it will make it really simple to get into this game again. I'm pretty excited to try it out
in a week after the game has finished patching/updating

Boss Man

BentMyWookiee said:
Wow, thanks for the info! The changes really sound awesome and like it will make it really simple to get into this game again. I'm pretty excited to try it out
in a week after the game has finished patching/updating
You're welcome returning FFXI buddy. ;)
a week becomes an hour.

ZetaEpyon

If you're starting from scratch and want to play with a bunch of the rest of us, join the Sylph server.

Hit me (Talym) or any of the other sackholders up for a pearl.

B.K.

I fought Maat tonight and lost. I don't know how I lost. I had is HP down to about 20% at one point. I thought he was supposed to give up by then.

B.K.

I may do that tomorrow night, if someone can help me get another Testimony tomorrow and if my stuff on the AH sells so I can replace my healing items. I spent almost 120,000 gil getting ready for the fight and still lost. :/

Shouta

It happens, if you need healing items, I'd recommend picking up the Hi-potion tank and spending a bit of time to pop them out. I don't know how much they're worth now though but before they were stupid cheap and popped out 20 hi-pots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom