• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

I had about nine or ten Hi-Potions +3, some X-Potions +2 and a Vile Elixir. I used the Vile Elixir and most of the Hi-Potions. I'm pretty sure that if I hadn't forgotten to use my food, I would have won.

Kandinsky

Oh man this is so, so sad..
[dev1009] New Trigger Conditions for Notorious Monsters

* [dev1009] New Trigger Conditions for Notorious Monsters

o Trigger conditions for following notorious monsters will be adjustedto spawn by trading specific items to the “???” in the respective area.

Fafnir / Nidhogg: Dragon’s Aery
Behemoth / King Behemoth: Behemoth’s Dominion
Adamantoise / Aspidochelone: Valley of Sorrows

- The ”???” will respawn a minute after the battle is over.
- The NM will despawn if unclaimed for 90 seconds at the spawned location.
- The feature wherein the level of these monsters will increase after battling them for a period of time will remain unchanged.

o How to obtain the trigger items:

Fafnir: Treasure from “Early Bird Catches the Wyrm”
Behemoth: Treasure from “Horns of War”
Adamantoise: Treasure from “The Hills are Alive”
* At least one of these items will be dropped in every battle.

Nidhogg: Treasure dropped by Fafnir
King Behemoth: Treasure dropped by Behemoth
Aspidochelone: Treasure dropped by Adamantoise

o The treasures dropped by the following notorious monsters will be adjusted as follows:

Fafnir : Wyrm Beard removed
Nidhogg : Drop rate of Wyrm Beard decreased
Behemoth : Behemoth Tongue removed
King Behemoth : Drop rate of Behemoth Tongue decreased
Adamantoise : Adamantoise Egg removed
Aspidochelone : Drop rate of Adamantoise Egg decreased
..a little too late SE.

Kandinsky

Shouta said:
wtf, they made it harder to get the black belt? Assholes!
Well they were 100% from HQs, so by decreasing their drop rate, they probably mean matching the current droprate on the KS/NQ versions, which iirc are pretty low anyway. So for people that dont/never bothered with Kings, like us, its about the same!

Edit: Actually, if anything, they made it easier for us, because you get 2 chances per every 99 KS, amirite?.

ZetaEpyon

Should be in the update on May 10, along with everything else.

As for the kings deal.... huh?
Seems weird to make this sort of change now. Hard to say what effect it will have on BB and such, but I suppose it depends on exactly what the "lowered" drop rate really is.

Kinda funny they make changes to them finally after all those years of shit now when not many people care anyway. XD

I don't even understand the changes really, I've got thousands of KS saved up but I still doubt my LS would bother with it.

B.K.

I think I just suck. Horribly.

If ANYTHING needs adjusting in an update, it's this fight. It has to be the most unfair battle in the game.

I installed FFXI and updated everything the other day, but I didn't really sit down and play until last night (Portal 2 was calling me first). My friend and I started up characters on Sylph and we were both pleasantly surprised to see that San d'Oria wasn't a ghost town. There were a decent amount of people running around, actually.

I quit this game 5 years ago and off and on since then I've missed the game and had cravings to play. Now that I've finally started up again, everything just feels so familiar and comfortable to me. Sure, some things have changed and I've forgotten a lot of macros and what not. But this game... it just feels... so right. It's good to be back.

I know ZetaEpyon (Talym) mentioned to hit him up for a linkpearl on the last page, but he wasn't online when I did a search for him. Are there any other sackholders that would be willing to give out a pearl to my friend and I if we're online at the same time? Don't worry, even though I'm starting from scratch again and I'm subjobless at the moment, I'm not going to be begging for gil or asking for help with every little thing. I just think it would be fun to be in a linkshell with some other Gaffers and hopefully party up in the future when I've caught up in levels.

FYI - My name on Sylph is: Beoulve

ZetaEpyon

I'll probably be on for a while tonight after 8:00pm Central time, if you haven't been able to get a pearl from someone else by then.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
I think I just suck. Horribly.

If ANYTHING needs adjusting in an update, it's this fight. It has to be the most unfair battle in the game.

what you have to understand is the Maat fight is based more on luck than anything for most jobs. You can plan everything right and still lose because he'll do some move at a weird time or something. I think BLU is the only one Ive heard of that you could set macros and almost never lose.

Dont forget you made some key mistakes for two of those fights so theres no telling how those would turned out.

BentMyWookiee said:
I installed FFXI and updated everything the other day, but I didn't really sit down and play until last night (Portal 2 was calling me first). My friend and I started up characters on Sylph and we were both pleasantly surprised to see that San d'Oria wasn't a ghost town. There were a decent amount of people running around, actually.

I quit this game 5 years ago and off and on since then I've missed the game and had cravings to play. Now that I've finally started up again, everything just feels so familiar and comfortable to me. Sure, some things have changed and I've forgotten a lot of macros and what not. But this game... it just feels... so right. It's good to be back.

I know ZetaEpyon (Talym) mentioned to hit him up for a linkpearl on the last page, but he wasn't online when I did a search for him. Are there any other sackholders that would be willing to give out a pearl to my friend and I if we're online at the same time? Don't worry, even though I'm starting from scratch again and I'm subjobless at the moment, I'm not going to be begging for gil or asking for help with every little thing. I just think it would be fun to be in a linkshell with some other Gaffers and hopefully party up in the future when I've caught up in levels.

FYI - My name on Sylph is: Beoulve

I can give you and your friend a pearl tonight if you guys are on. My characters name is Hgplayer.

If you do need some gil write this name down, Danicolas. You'll need to speak to him in Spanish though or he will treat you like a common peasant.

Boss Man

I know one thing, with the right knowledge FFXI is one of (if not the) best aged games of all time. Seriously, it looks super nice on my laptop right now and unreal for a game that was released in 2001.

It would be conceivable imo for SE to drop PS2 support and market this game as a cheap "Online Final Fantasy" and reel in a ton of people who never even realized how much they might enjoy the game- especially with the changes that have taken place.
No, I do not in my wildest dreams expect this to happen.
Just sayin'.

B.K.

hgplayer1 said:
what you have to understand is the Maat fight is based more on luck than anything for most jobs. You can plan everything right and still lose because he'll do some move at a weird time or something. I think BLU is the only one Ive heard of that you could set macros and almost never lose.

Yeah, but what makes it suck is that Maat has almost zero delay for his attack and almost no casting time for his spells. If it was a more balanced fight, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
Yeah, but what makes it suck is that Maat has almost zero delay for his attack and almost no casting time for his spells. If it was a more balanced fight, it probably wouldn't be too bad.

Believe me when you beat him it will feel good and youll look back on this and /laugh.

Im about to log in and see if the guys I grouped with last night are on. We got all 6 kills on the NM for the Scythe trial I was doing.

Kandinsky

pancakesandsex said:
Sep. Yo quiero dinero.
That sep made my day lol, man I miss Macho and PR.

Also Job Adjustments on the forums, but since its pretty much PUP focus nobody gives a shit, not even worth quoting >_>

So I noticed that a lot of people in the LS were subbing Dancer. Is this go to subjob now? I quit FFXI before Dancer came out, so I never got to experience the class.

While I'm not too familiar with DNC, I am reading up on the class some, it seems like DNC can heal through the use of TP rather than MP. Also I notice DNC can dual wield at 20. So it sounds like the class could be a good subjob for melee classes. Could a class subbing DNC be a viable tank in a party? Or is it better as subjob for soloing?

Since some of you are subbing DNC and have first hand experience, could you guys enlighten me as to why DNC sub is awesome?

B.K.

Experience point penalties when KO’d will be eased for characters level 75 and below.
At levels 1–30, the penalty will be removed entirely. At levels 31–75, the amount of XP lost will be lowered as indicated in the chart below.

attachment.php

I don't know if I like that. I don't like no penalty at all for dying.

ZetaEpyon

BentMyWookiee said:
Since some of you are subbing DNC and have first hand experience, could you guys enlighten me as to why DNC sub is awesome?

Dancer is popular for a lot of reasons. Probably the main two (in terms of subjob popularity) are the Curing Waltzes, and Sambas.

At cap subjob level, /dnc gives you access up to Curing Waltz III, which is pretty equivalent to Cure IV, at a cost of 50 TP. You also get Drain and usually more importantly, Haste Samba. Basically, each time you hit a mob with Haste Samba active, the mob receives a 'daze' effect. Then, when anyone (not just the dancer) hits the mob, they get a haste effect, making their attacks faster. Drain Samba works similarly, but you'll get some HP drain effect instead of haste, obviously. The downside is that the mob can only have 1 daze effect active, so multiple dancers can't use a combination and have them all in effect.

There are a variety of steps that you can use, which cost 10TP each, and apply various effects to the target, like reduced evasion, reduced defense, and so on.

You also get Spectral Jig, which is a free ability (requires no TP), that gives you Sneak and Invisible. It often doesn't last very long, but I've never had it wear off before the recast timer was up. Helps to make getting around very easy, since you don't need to worry about casting magic, or bringing ninja tools.

In small parties, /dnc is great, because it makes you much less reliant on needing a dedicated healer.

As a main job, Dancer obviously gets a lot more stuff; more powerful cures, better sambas, and various weaponskill related things. It's very good for soloing, and is even capable of being the main healer for a party, in the right circumstances. I had very little trouble soloing dancer up to level 60, and the increased experience for easy prey mobs just makes it that much better.

B.K. said:
Experience point penalties when KO’d will be eased for characters level 75 and below.
At levels 1–30, the penalty will be removed entirely. At levels 31–75, the amount of XP lost will be lowered as indicated in the chart below.

attachment.php

I don't know if I like that. I don't like no penalty at all for dying.

Ehh, I don't know. The real penalty, imo, has always been the weakened status anyway. That'll still be there. Experience points can be recovered really quickly, and below level 30, the amount you lose isn't that much anyway. I don't have much issue with this.

Thanks for all the info! Wow, dancer really sounds awesome now. I think I'm going to give it a go when I can start unlocking advanced jobs.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, it's not the end-all, be-all subjob, but it is pretty cool.
If you're trying to maximize damage output or something, it's still going to be outclassed by other jobs. And obviously, in most cases, it'll be useless as a subjob for casting mages.

hgplayer1

wwm0nkey said:
What level can you get sub jobs? I am level 24 right now.

So what youre saying is last night you didnt see everyone in the linkshell asking you when you were going to do your subjob quest and if you wanted help doing it?

wwm0nkey

hgplayer1 said:
So what youre saying is last night you didnt see everyone in the linkshell asking you when you were going to do your subjob quest and if you wanted help doing it?
Nope usually dont see most of the Linkshell stuff going on to be honest :/

hgplayer1

wwm0nkey said:
Nope usually dont see most of the Linkshell stuff going on to be honest :/

lol well pay attention. We could have helped you complete that sub job quest last night.

Just about anyone in the shell can help you with that. Just ask nobody will bite your head off for asking.

Time to re-adjust my DRK merits! :D Been harping for those changes for ages, sad they took so long. >_>

The EXP thing doesn't make a lot of difference really, under 30 never lost very much as it was. Still nice I guess, but again something in the too-little-too-late category.

hgplayer1

Conrad Link said:
Time to re-adjust my DRK merits! :D Been harping for those changes for ages, sad they took so long. >_>

The EXP thing doesn't make a lot of difference really, under 30 never lost very much as it was. Still nice I guess, but again something in the too-little-too-late category.

just curious what kinda changes will you be making to your DRK merits?

edit: Oh didnt even notice the new JA for DKN (wtf). That ought to be interesting.

B.K.

hgplayer1 said:
edit: Oh didnt even notice the new JA for DKN (wtf).

Seriously. That seems really counter productive. The whole point of Soul Eater is to use HP to do more damage. Less HP used should mean less damage.

Kandinsky

B.K. said:
Seriously. That seems really counter productive. The whole point of Soul Eater is to use HP to do more damage. Less HP used should mean less damage.

Its a trait and it just probably means you will be doing the same amount of dmg you did before, just drain less % of the 10% of your hp, if that makes any sense lol

It will be the same dmg as before, just take less hp away meaning we can actually use the damn thing more often (maybe).

Category 1 I'll change to 5/5 LR recast, only at 3/5 at the moment.

Other changes will have to wait depending on the update I guess, not sure how good exactly the Souleater changes/JT will make things so will have to see them to decide.

Just happy to have some DRK changes that aren't stupid magic based!

Boss Man

Whether or not Desperate Blows scales with the new Last Resort duration is going to determine if DRK just got an overdue boost or a big BOOST.

Also really like the idea of being able to, you know, use the job's two staple abilities (especially both of them)!

hgplayer1

StateofMind said:
Whether or not Desperate Blows scales with the new Last Resort duration is going to determine if DRK just got an overdue boost or a big BOOST.

Also really like the idea of being able to, you know, use the job's two staple abilities (especially both of them)!

scales? weapon delay will be reduced the entire time LR is active which is a big plus.

Boss Man

hgplayer1 said:
scales? weapon delay will be reduced the entire time LR is active which is a big plus.
I'm not going to assume that will be the case because I've been playing the game long enough to know better lol.

Thanks again to Hgplayer, Grahf, and Weylin for helping with the subjob quest drops. You guys seriously made life much easier!

Getting back into this game has been so much fun, and all the changes have made it a much more friendly game. It still feels weird that I reached all the way to 18 without ever having to party and kill anything in the Dunes.

Right now I can't wait to make it to Jeuno so that I can buy some armor on the AH. Seriously, my gear is soooooo gimped right now because nobody puts anything up on the Sandy AH. My body is ready for a merging of the AHs.

*EDIT* I've been playing this on my PC so far through Steam (so I have everything except for Abyssea). But I was thinking about installing the game on my 360 so that I can play in couch mode when I feel like it. The thing is that the FFXI 360 disc that I have only covers up to Aht Urghan. If I install that on my 360, will the update process automatically install the other expansions that my POL account already has registered through the PC? Or would I have to get my hands on the actual 360 discs to install everything that came after Aht Urghan?

hgplayer1

BentMyWookiee said:
Thanks again to Hgplayer, Grahf, and Weylin for helping with the subjob quest drops. You guys seriously made life much easier!

Getting back into this game has been so much fun, and all the changes have made it a much more friendly game. It still feels weird that I reached all the way to 18 without ever having to party and kill anything in the Dunes.

Right now I can't wait to make it to Jeuno so that I can buy some armor on the AH. Seriously, my gear is soooooo gimped right now because nobody puts anything up on the Sandy AH. My body is ready for a merging of the AHs.

*EDIT* I've been playing this on my PC so far through Steam (so I have everything except for Abyssea). But I was thinking about installing the game on my 360 so that I can play in couch mode when I feel like it. The thing is that the FFXI 360 disc that I have only covers up to Aht Urghan. If I install that on my 360, will the update process automatically install the other expansions that my POL account already has registered through the PC? Or would I have to get my hands on the actual 360 discs to install everything that came after Aht Urghan?

You would need to get the 360 version for the Wings of the Goddess Expansion but after that you wont need a disc for any of the add ons.

Ok, thanks. So rather than buying it, could I just use my friend's 360 disc to install it? Since I already own it on pc, it should be tied to my POL ID, right?

Also, do I need the FFXI disc in my 360 when I play? Or does it run straight off the harddrive? It's been so long since I've played on 360, I can't remember at all.

ZetaEpyon

You should be able to borrow the disc to install it.
The expansion content ID is tied to your PlayOnline account, not the disc.

No idea about needing the disc in while playing on 360...

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
BentMyWookiee said:
Ok, thanks. So rather than buying it, could I just use my friend's 360 disc to install it? Since I already own it on pc, it should be tied to my POL ID, right?

Also, do I need the FFXI disc in my 360 when I play? Or does it run straight off the harddrive? It's been so long since I've played on 360, I can't remember at all.

Yeah, you can activate your 360 version under any POL ID you have and don't need any registration data. If your POL data is good, you can activate on anything. And I can't remember about 360, I played it for all of 10 minutes before I laughed and went back to PC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom