• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
Ideally you want to be level 75 because you dont get the full exp bonuses in Abyssea until you are 75. If you get invited to an Abyssea party at level 30 dont hesitate to go. It will be very dangerous for you in there at that level though.
Hmm interesting, I'd better enable my character for Abyssea then...

B.K. said:
Yes. Zeta took a job from 43 to 90 in one day in Abyssea.
WTF?? My god. Here I am slowly soloing like a sap at 25 lol

Alchemy

B.K. said:
Yes. Zeta took a job from 43 to 90 in one day in Abyssea.

Damn. Sounds almost like a waste to have to jump back to doing Limit Break stuff every 5 levels now, but its probably a good idea since it gives you a few moments to try to catch up on skill ups.

Alchemy

Dechaios said:
WTF?? My god. Here I am slowly soloing like a sap at 25 lol

I think you need to be 30 to unlock Abyssea regardless, though I'm not sure if you can unlock it on a level 30 job and enter at a lower level afterwards. Still reading up on stuff.

ZetaEpyon

You cannot enter Abyssea with a character lower than level 30. And like hg mentioned, it would be quite dangerous. At level 30, you won't be able to hit anything (hell, even at 75 you'll have some trouble at first, barring awesome gear), so you're pretty much going to be restricted to just leeching exp from a party. That's why when you see someone with a low level character in an Abyssea exp party, they're probably buying forbidden keys and opening chests for the alliance. That's exactly how I was able to take ninja from 43 to 90 in ~12 hours that one day.

The other downside to doing that is that it takes quite a while for the exp to build up (due to the aforementioned level penalty). Once the alliance is rolling at full speed, you can get upwards of 600xp per kill, with the mobs going down virtually as fast as they pop up. End result is 100k+ exp/hour, but it takes a couple hours to get to that point. Alternatively, you can see if you can tag along for some dominion ops. The experience reward from doing the dom op significantly boosts your overall rate right from the start, so it makes more sense if you don't have a lot of time to devote to it. Again, the level penalty is still there, but the dom ops reward mitigates it to some extent.

Alchemy

ZetaEpyon said:
That's why when you see someone with a low level character in an Abyssea exp party, they're probably buying forbidden keys and opening chests for the alliance.

Whats the best way for a lowbie to get forbidden keys? Unless I'm reading this wrong, you have to get some curor first to get keys, which would require leeching in a party first which seems problematic.

ZetaEpyon

And that's the reason that in previous posts I've suggested that the leeching method may not work for taking your first job up to 75, at least in the context of the usual Jeuno party shouts. :)

That said, it's always possible to just go with someone from the LS who's able to solo some dominion ops, and build up some cruor to get started.

Alchemy

Skimming the wiki... so many missions to catch up on. Yikes. Are most of them uncapped now? It seems like it might be a better idea to sprint to a high level and come back and try to solo as many of them as I can.

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
Skimming the wiki... so many missions to catch up on. Yikes. Are most of them uncapped now? It seems like it might be a better idea to sprint to a high level and come back and try to solo as many of them as I can.

Yesterday I took my other character to Bastok and switched allegiance and did all the missions to get Rank 5 over the course of the afternoon and evening. I could have done it in way less time but I was doing other things and left the house a few times.

Keep in mind that was a level 75 SAM and I already had Rank 10 in Sandy which meant being able to skip parts of a couple of the missions. Also I had enough cash to buy stacks of crystals to trade in for rank points that allowed me to avoid repeating missions.

I also had a 37 WHM that could teleport to the crags and sneak and invisible myself.

Also all the super kupowers are up so Swift Shoes and Ease of Exploration (or is it Thrifty Transit?) and Treasure Hunter are all active making everything that much easier.

Since none of the missions are level capped its very easy to get through them now but if you havent reached a high enough level and you want to get through them you probably only really need one person to help you.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
hgplayer1 said:
Yesterday I took my other character to Bastok and switched allegiance and did all the missions to get Rank 5 over the course of the afternoon and evening. I could have done it in way less time but I was doing other things and left the house a few times.

Keep in mind that was a level 75 SAM and I already had Rank 10 in Sandy which meant being able to skip parts of a couple of the missions. Also I had enough cash to buy stacks of crystals to trade in for rank points that allowed me to avoid repeating missions.

I also had a 37 WHM that could teleport to the crags and sneak and invisible myself.

Also all the super kupowers are up so Swift Shoes and Ease of Exploration (or is it Thrifty Transit?) and Treasure Hunter are all active making everything that much easier.

Since none of the missions are level capped its very easy to get through them now but if you havent reached a high enough level and you want to get through them you probably only really need one person to help you.

I did Bastok missions ASAP just so I could get that stupid country off my name. (and at the time, that +50MP neck piece was pretty epic to have).

Started in Sandy, did Bastok, then went Windy (best nation for best people).

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
Is there a reason for all the nation switching?

Main reason in the past was for some of the conquest items. Like I mentioned before, Bastok had an awesome mage neck piece at one point. Others do it for completion sake, want to see all three nation storylines. Others just change because they realize Windy is best.

Shouta

Windy stinks.

Also, doing Abyssea leeching isn't feasible most of the time unless you start the alliance yourself and have a lot of keys. I'd recommend it for second or even third jobs so that you have the resources and experience under your belt.

Vrtra is one big mofo.

Y8jL6.jpg

DEYot.jpg

ftOHX.jpg

His body nearly spans the length of my monitor. :O

e2RQh.jpg
[/IMG]

Dispel has gotten a lot stronger since I last played the game!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Chuck said:
I hate Windy too, went against my better judgment making my taru start there. My mule's from the far superior kingdom of Sandy.

I will say that Sandy is a GREAT nation for a newcomer to start in. It has by far the most noob-friendly areas outside.

Windy, while awesome, is not a great starter nation for newcomers, and much harder travel time to the Dunes, even with the ferry.

Portalbox

So yeah, Jorgom here. Tomorrow marks a week since the return of many players to FFXI (including me <.<). Things I've noticed:
-I can't believe how easy it is to level nowadays. I almost have two jobs to 40 now, and I haven't done anything crazy like leeching off Abyssea or anything.
-Low level gear is super hard to come by, it seems many players have hoarded it on their mules or something but there's never any decent stuff on the AH.

Oh, and, years may pass, but this game still rocks.

Portalbox

Alchemy said:
Man, you bums need to get jobs! Or hurry up and get to 90 so you can get me into an Abyssea leech party >.>

I told ya I was in the process of getting one! Lol, but in the meantime semester's over... so!

Shouta

Any job is fine for farming pops for lower tier NMs in Abyssea. If you mean higher tier NMs with key items, you need a job that can tank the NM for an extended period of time (evasion, counter, blood), a healer, and someone to proc red for you would be best.

DarkKyo

Anyone know how, or if its even possible, to take screenshots on the 360 version?

I know how to get the interface away and place the Square Enix copyright text on the screen but not how to take a screen.

Dechaios said:
Anyone know how, or if its even possible, to take screenshots on the 360 version?

I know how to get the interface away and place the Square Enix copyright text on the screen but not how to take a screen.

Um.. I just do it automatically without thinking now but from memory its like:

Press the "back" button to clear the chat log, then hold down the right trigger (RT or w/e) and then hit the right bumper (RB) to take a pic.

The only way I know how to get the pictures to my computer is to email them to myself through Playonline. POL > Navigator > File Manager > Screenshots you can find ones you've taken in that section.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Chuck said:
oX4YT.png

I ran into this bad boy soloing earlier and scored a pretty nice (for its level) GKT for my future SAM.

Yeah that Katana is great for SAM. Overall there aren't many GK's you need to level SAM

B.K.

How do you navigate through Ro'Maeve? I'm trying to get to the Hall of the Gods and this is my first time here.

Shouta

B.K. said:
How do you navigate through Ro'Maeve? I'm trying to get to the Hall of the Gods and this is my first time here.

It's pretty simple and straight forward. Put sneak on and walk the outer areas to find your way to the top. A map will show the entrance easily.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Portalbox said:
So yeah, long live the noob hat.
uGYxb.jpg

In the old days, the noob death would happen when people were lowbie leveling in King Rampeeres Tomb, and would get to that one crypt that asks if you wish to go deeper. BOOM level 75 mobs.

Portalbox

DrForester said:
In the old days, the noob death would happen when people were lowbie leveling in King Rampeeres Tomb, and would get to that one crypt that asks if you wish to go deeper. BOOM level 75 mobs.

I know, what I'm trying to say is that thanks to the Destrier Beret, I managed to navigate the past with no problems (autoreraise and stuff) at all :p

elohel

got a 12 blm and 7? whm?

not sure what to do just solo? highest i ever got was 28 on another server(forgot my old login info)

Husker86

I really wish SE would re-think their billing strategy. They could have had me so many times renewing if I didn't have to worry about paying for a full month for only a few days (signing up at the end of the month).

I think I will come back in June though, I've played since around launch and have quit 8 or so times...left behind a 76 PLD and 75 NIN (as you can tell my last quits were around the time level caps started being raised).

Anyway, if not too many of my old LS are left I think I'll server transfer to the GAF server :)

B.K. said:
I can show you the way if you're still lost. I'm about to grab the Li'Telor outpost as we speak.

Edit: Found it no problem.

2xsEY.png

Alchemy

I think my next leveling run is going to be attempting the Ordelle's Caves Ground Tome, page 6 (4 Goliath Beetle, 1 Stroper). Should be interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom