• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kandinsky

Again, everyone above 30 should start Abyssea (talk to Joachim, go to any abyMaw, get visitant status inside abyssea from npc, warp out and speak to Joa again) asap.

Alchemy

Kandinsky said:
Again, everyone above 30 should start Abyssea (talk to Joachim, go to any abyMaw, get visitant status inside abyssea from npc, warp out and speak to Joa again) asap.

Aw, haven't gone through a maw yet. Might have to do that tonight.

Fuck this guy. Killed me right behind the OP as I was on my way to deliver supplies.

uMj1p.jpg

Oh, and my hat failed to activate. Lame.

Are you from San D'Oria? We practically control the whole world this week. :lol

Also, thanks a million to Aurellius for raising me in Xarcabard.

Alchemy

Chuck said:
Are you from San D'Oria? We practically control the whole world this week. :lol

Also, thanks a million to Aurellius for raising me in Xarcabard.

Well, ok maybe not busy this weekend. Busy whenever Windurst gets their act together.

Alchemy said:
Well, ok maybe not busy this weekend. Busy whenever Windurst gets their act together.
Yeah, no kidding. I chose Sandy for my mule in large part because they have access to all the outposts that I want, especially the two jungle ones.

elohel

so guys whats best way to get to 30? just keep grinding or w/e? quests? party?

wut I do I really want to play.....

HALP!

Alchemy

elohel said:
so guys whats best way to get to 30? just keep grinding or w/e? quests? party?

wut I do I really want to play.....

HALP!

Solo with party flag up. I found doing Field of Valor pages on mobs that con easy prey to be pretty efficient exp. It probably depends greatly on your job, I've been doing this mainly as MNK and DNC.

I've also been using my +exp rings while soloing mainly to make it less tedious. The Novennial Ring lasted me from 36-39 last night.

elohel

Alchemy said:
Solo with party flag up. I found doing Field of Valor pages on mobs that con easy prey to be pretty efficient exp. It probably depends greatly on your job, I've been doing this mainly as MNK and DNC.

I've also been using my +exp rings while soloing mainly to make it less tedious. The Novennial Ring lasted me from 36-39 last night.

im a blm and whm(havent gotten my secondary job just leveling it so i can equip it)

ill check out the field and throw up my flag i guess

Shouta

Do EP or DC mobs if you're on mage jobs and make sure you have Signet and are engaged against your target. You'll be fine if you have to solo until a party invite shows up.

elohel

Shouta said:
Do EP or DC mobs if you're on mage jobs and make sure you have Signet and are engaged against your target. You'll be fine if you have to solo until a party invite shows up.

kk cool so then 30 is when it starts? lol

what are some general like....levels and things i should accomplish by then?

where can i rank up in sandy? and how?

When dual wielding, does it matter which weapon you place in your main hand and which you place in your sub?

For instance, should my main hand weapon be the weapon with the higher dmg? Or shorter delay? Or is it irrelevant?

Alchemy

BentMyWookiee said:
When dual wielding, does it matter which weapon you place in your main hand and which you place in your sub?

For instance, should my main hand weapon be the weapon with the higher dmg? Or shorter delay? Or is it irrelevant?

I think it is irrelevant because DWing in FFXI just combines the delays and you swing both weapons at once. But I am a newb so I could be wrong.

Alchemy

Looks like it depends on what you want from weapon skills. According to the wiki:

• Only the Weapon Skills of the weapon currently equipped in the main hand are available for use. If you equip two different types of weapons, you do not have access to both Weapon Skill sets at once.

[*]Weapon Skill Damage is based on the damage rating of the main hand weapon.

Alchemy

ZetaEpyon said:
Right, typically you will want higher damage in main hand, and low delay in off hand.

Is there a reason for the low delay in the off hand? The wiki mentions that TP gain is based on the average, and I imagine that damage of the weapons is balanced around the delay so there doesn't seem like DPS benefit.

From what I can tell it looks like you want the highest damage weapon in your main hand for the weapon skills you want to use, and then whatever other weapon you want in your off hand.

Although I might be confused on how DWing actually works, do the weapons swing on their own delay? Then it might be beneficial to have a high delay weapon in your main hand and a low delay in your offhand to try to increase the TP gain average of your weapons so the offhand generates more TP then normal.

ZetaEpyon

Well, it's the whole situation really. You are right in saying "whatever other weapon you want in your off hand".

Typically, people just like to combine a high damage main with a low delay sub, because it keeps your overall attack rate higher. Lower delay weapons are generally going to have lower base damage, so you wouldn't put them in the main hand anyway.

There used to be a floor on TP gain, where even as combined delay decreased, TP per hit did not. This isn't the case anymore, so the low delay stuff isn't as important as it once was.

Boss Man

elohel said:
kk cool so then 30 is when it starts? lol

what are some general like....levels and things i should accomplish by then?

where can i rank up in sandy? and how?
Unlock subjob, get chocobo license, maybe gain a rank or two.

Currently, level 30 means you can just leech your job the rest of the way to 90. Generally speaking, though, levels 30, 60, and 75 do change things up quite a bit more than other gaps.

At 30 this is more of a broad change, since you get access to advanced jobs and stuff.

DarkKyo

Bringer Of Bacon said:
Hey newbie here. never played FFXI. Should I start now? Im looking for a new MMO... are you gaf guys pretty active?
We have people on at all hours of the day pretty much. I'd say we're pretty active. I started last week and the GAF LS has been very helpful :)

B.K.

Roaring Laughter does look like a pretty good Atma. I need to try to get it. I've got a lot of skilling up to do.

Jrmint

Huge huge thank you to Tef. We spent about 3 hours farming Kazham keys last night. With at least an hour of that spent inside Palborough Mines.

It was quite epic, we had something drop that hadn't before (a Brass Subligar), so she goes maybe the next one will drop the key. And then Bam there it was!

Shouta

Voracious Violet or Gnarled Horn depending on circumstance. Razed Ruins is the one you should use all the the time really.

I do want to note that those are the best DD atma but sometimes you don't need them for a particular thing you're trying to do. Casting is one, proccing is another, AoE farming, or alternative types of damage dealing all require different atma setups. I hear Infernal Scythe, Endark, and a OAT2-4 Scythe is a really nice build for DRKs and that requires more MAB/Dark Damage+ atmas than say the ones mentioned above.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
VV, RR and Apocalypse are usually my 3 atma's for DD. But like Shouta said, there are circumstances where you might want something else.

DarkKyo

I need a repeating crossbow to get my first puppet frame(sharpshot). Are there any higher level woodworkers in the LS to whom I can send the required materials to make one for me? I'm hoping the materials will be cheaper than the finished product is being sold for on the AH.

Required skills woodworking-88, smithing-59, bonecraft-46...

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
I need a repeating crossbow to get my first puppet frame(sharpshot). Are there any higher level woodworkers in the LS to whom I can send the required materials to make one for me? I'm hoping the materials will be cheaper than the finished product is being sold for on the AH.

Required skills woodworking-88, smithing-59, bonecraft-46...

http://www.ffxiah.com/item/17221/rpt-crossbow select Sylph server if it doesnt do it for you.

Looks like your cost for materials would be around 20k. Buying the frame out right on the AH would be 50k.

Not sure what our LS has craft wise but you could proabably farm the 50k in a decent amount of time.

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
http://www.ffxiah.com/item/17221/rpt-crossbow select Sylph server if it doesnt do it for you.

Looks like your cost for materials would be around 20k. Buying the frame out right on the AH would be 50k.

Not sure what our LS has craft wise but you could proabably farm the 50k in a decent amount of time.
You mean buying the crossbow would be 50k? I don't think you can buy the automaton frame.

Bleh, looking at all the other materials besides the crossbow it's going to cost me well over 50k... More so in the range of 70-80k. Some beginner stuff is super expensive in this game to the point where it slows your progress to a halt.

Portalbox

OBpjP.jpg

Ugh, I hate these mobs so much. They're just flying around Xarcabard(s) and when you less expect it, BAM! They've killed me like 3 times >.>

Although you can't see it very clear from the pic, they're also HUGE and super ugly.

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
You mean buying the crossbow would be 50k? I don't think you can buy the automaton frame.

Bleh, looking at all the other materials besides the crossbow it's going to cost me well over 50k... More so in the range of 70-80k. Some beginner stuff is super expensive in this game to the point where it slows your progress to a halt.

Yeah the crossbow is going for around 50k on the AH. If someone can craft it for you you can save around 30k but that might be more hassle than its worth to save 20k just depends on your ability to farm things.

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
Yeah the crossbow is going for around 50k on the AH. If someone can craft it for you you can save around 30k but that might be more hassle than its worth to save 20k just depends on your ability to farm things.
Unless its beehive chips I have no ability to farm things lol... and even then its like a stack an hour or something. I know it's probably not the best idea but I used some of my CP to buy rank 2 items for sale on the AH. Most of the rank 2 items for bastok are going for around 10k so I could get some quick money today from that. I'm at 25k right now.

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
Unless its beehive chips I have no ability to farm things lol... and even then its like a stack an hour or something. I know it's probably not the best idea but I used some of my CP to buy rank 2 items for sale on the AH. Most of the rank 2 items for bastok are going for around 10k so I could get some quick money today from that. I'm at 25k right now.

Actually beehive chips are what I farmed for the longest time. You also get honey drops so thats a bonus. Depending on where you are farming and how easy you can kill things you might have some other mobs in the area that are worth killing for items.

Using CP points for buying and reselling isnt a bad idea as long as you dont have plans for using those CP otherwise.

Also go kill some easy prey and get crystal drops or get in an exp party and watch the crystals pour in.

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
Actually beehive chips are what I farmed for the longest time. You also get honey drops so thats a bonus. Depending on where you are farming and how easy you can kill things you might have some other mobs in the area that are worth killing for items.

Using CP points for buying and reselling isnt a bad idea as long as you dont have plans for using those CP otherwise.

Also go kill some easy prey and get crystal drops or get in an exp party and watch the crystals pour in.
I guess I wanted to get the sharpshot before I started EXPing but it might not be a bad idea to at least grind pup to 15-18 for farming drops. Bees in the highlands actually have a decent honey/chip droprate. I think I might do it a bit later this evening. Besides that I'll see where I'm at with these multiple auctions I have up later on. Apparently for new PUP frames you need to wait until japanese midnight(tomorrow morning) for the automaton mechanic to be done making it. Either way I need lots of money if I plan to get more useful automaton attachments(only have 3 or 4 now).

Thanks for the advice hg, always helpful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom