• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

DrForester said:
I wouldn't sell that scroll. At some point you will want to level BLM to a level where you can just warp yourself.

With Warp Cudgels, the Treat Staff II (usable once a day now too) and 10 CP Warp Scrolls, you don't need the warp spell itself quite as much nowadays. And there's the free warp scroll every day from the sack moogle too!

Dechaios: Definitely work on getting at least the basic attachments, they're very important to helping your frame keep up. Some of the more exotic ones aren't needed right away so I wouldn't worry about getting them. If you need any, I might be able to farm up a few of the basic ones as well.

DarkKyo

Shouta said:
With Warp Cudgels, the Treat Staff II (usable once a day now too) and 10 CP Warp Scrolls, you don't need the warp spell itself quite as much nowadays. And there's the free warp scroll every day from the sack moogle too!

Dechaios: Definitely work on getting at least the basic attachments, they're very important to helping your frame keep up. Some of the more exotic ones aren't needed right away so I wouldn't worry about getting them. If you need any, I might be able to farm up a few of the basic ones as well.
Really? Are the basics not so tough to get? I would be really stoked if you helped me out. As long as it's not so much trouble...

I guess the basic ones I'm looking to get as soon as I can are Tension Spring, Inhibitor, Stabilizer, Shock Absorber, and Armor Plate. I'm obviously not expecting you to find all or most of them for me but if you came across one in your travels I'd be really grateful. I'm obviously looking for more advanced ones too but I know most of those are super hard to obtain(hence the super high AH prices).

Alchemy

Anyone know a decent BST camp guide? The most trouble I have right now is finding a camp where I can consistently get Evens or Toughs.

Alchemy said:
Anyone know a decent BST camp guide? The most trouble I have right now is finding a camp where I can consistently get Evens or Toughs.

type "bst" into the wiki and there should be some play guides at the bottom of the page.

DarkKyo

Anybody here possibly have 1 piece of rosewood lumber? A stack is 30k and I only need one so you'd be really helping me out. I'd pay you for it of course. I need it before 10-11 this morning 'cause that is Japanese midnight and I'd have to wait for tomorrow again before getting my next Pup frame... if I can't find help here I guess I'll just buy the whole stack for one piece.

Edit: nevermind, just bought the whole stack.

Dechaios said:
Anybody here possibly have 1 piece of rosewood lumber? A stack is 30k and I only need one so you'd be really helping me out. I'd pay you for it of course. I need it before 10-11 this morning 'cause that is Japanese midnight and I'd have to wait for tomorrow again before getting my next Pup frame... if I can't find help here I guess I'll just buy the whole stack for one piece.

Edit: nevermind, just bought the whole stack.

D: I can make them.

DarkKyo

pancakesandsex said:
D: I can make them.
Damnit! You know, I saw your name in recent sales so I was hoping you'd be on in time but looks like we missed it :(... thanks anyways... I've been looking for one for the past couple days, asking the LS online a couple times. Just bad luck(my luck) I guess.

Well, looks like I could probably make some money on them by selling them all singular I guess.... Unless you happen to have 1 that I could buy now and complete a stack to sell on the AH.

Edit: Also, just so people know, I just got inhibitor, stealth screen, stabilizer, and tension spring.. so I'm no longer looking for those specific attachments.

Alchemy

Cool, wasn't sure how applicable the older guides still were. Thats one of the annoying things I see when stumbling around the wiki is seeing crazy old guides, not sure what info to still trust.

Dechaios said:
Damnit! You know, I saw your name in recent sales so I was hoping you'd be on in time but looks like we missed it :(... thanks anyways... I've been looking for one for the past couple days, asking the LS online a couple times. Just bad luck(my luck) I guess.

Well, looks like I could probably make some money on them by selling them all singular I guess.... Unless you happen to have 1 that I could buy now and complete a stack to sell on the AH.

Edit: Also, just so people know, I just got inhibitor, stealth screen, stabilizer, and tension spring.. so I'm no longer looking for those specific attachments.

Patience helps a lot in this game lol. You're gonna need a ton of gil to properly outfit your auto with attachments. I can give you the level 20 setup I'm using for BCNM later when I get on. I had a friendly pup main in my endgame LS help me with the setup and I'm sure shouta can offer some pointers and criticisms once I post it, which I would be very interested in hearing.

DarkKyo

pancakesandsex said:
Patience helps a lot in this game lol. You're gonna need a ton of gil to properly outfit your auto with attachments. I can give you the level 20 setup I'm using for BCNM later when I get on. I had a friendly pup main in my endgame LS help me with the setup and I'm sure shouta can offer some pointers and criticisms once I post it, which I would be very interested in hearing.
Cool! I've only taken Pup to level 31 before when the game used to be much harder. There were less attachments then too. I think I was mostly using valoredge at that point, and this time I'm focusing on sharpshot for damage. If you guys have got any pointers for level 20 and up I'd love to hear 'em. One thing very different now is how expensive attachments are compared to when I last played. I had my last puppetmaster decked out by 30 and I don't think that's a possibility this time.

Dechaios said:
Cool! I've only taken Pup to level 31 before when the game used to be much harder. There were less attachments then too. I think I was mostly using valoredge at that point, and this time I'm focusing on sharpshot for damage. If you guys have got any pointers for level 20 and up I'd love to hear 'em. One thing very different now is how expensive attachments are compared to when I last played. I had my last puppetmaster decked out by 30 and I don't think that's a possibility this time.

I'm still learning the job myself. I'm focused on leveling and gearing brd at the moment, so pup is more of a back burner thing. Shouta will be the one to ask for most info, as he is our resident masterpup

I wish I'd realized how fucking difficult it is to get into an abyssea party, it might have made me think twice about coming back to this game.

DarkKyo

Chuck said:
I wish I'd realized how fucking difficult it is to get into an abyssea party, it might have made me think twice about coming back to this game.
Now you're in too deep...

But seriously, there are other ways to level, you know.

Alchemy

Abyssea seems neat, but I still want to experience all the 1-75 content I missed before as well as level up my NPC, raise a chocobo mount, maintain my weapon skills, and earn money. At some point I also need to start crafting and gathering as well.

I guess abyssea leeching is less of a concern for me because there is so much stuff to do while taking my first job to 90.

DarkKyo

Alchemy said:
Abyssea seems neat, but I still want to experience all the 1-75 content I missed before as well as level up my NPC, raise a chocobo mount, maintain my weapon skills, and earn money. At some point I also need to start crafting and gathering as well.

I guess abyssea leeching is less of a concern for me because there is so much stuff to do while taking my first job to 90.
I would totally spend the time to raise a chocobo mount if he wasn't gone in a god damn month or whatever it is. Seriously, SE, make that chocobo permanent! It's not even worth the time...

Jrmint said:
Some morons on our server have undercut this all the way to 50k, so stupid.

If a bunch of people from here are going to e selling this now please get the price back up to 100k+.

I understand undercutting to a degree. But the amount this has been slashed is just beyond stupid.
Yeah, that is a pretty drastic undercut. Looking at the price history of the warp scroll on our server, I was the last person to sell it for over 100k.

I notice that a lot of undercutting goes on. Most stuff I put on the AH takes days to sell because after I put it up, 10 other people decide to list the same item for a fraction of the price. Also, I've noticed that AH prices tend to drop quite a bit on the weekends. I think this has to do with players who only hop on over the weekends and end up undercutting because they want to sell their stuff quickly.

DarkKyo

I undercut the warp scroll from 50k to 49k lol. What can I say? I was super desperate for moneys. Besides, it's pretty easy to get an alt to fame level 2 in Bastok to repeat.

Chuck said:

You should be at least attempting to level normally from 1-50, especially if you are on a fresh character. The xp to the next level doesn't ramp up significantly until 60-75, and there are plenty of options to get to that 60-75 sweet spot that don't involve abyssea at all.

Here is the thing, abyssea parties are not easy to keep going. Anyone under 75 (60-ish for support/healing) is there exclusively off the good will of the people doing all the work. The reason it's hard to get into an abyssea party at 30 is that you literally contribute nothing, besides potentially opening chests if you already have a decent supply of cruor to purchase keys.

Besides the basic xp chain from killing the same monster, the party needs to keep a stable of high level players with built up lights (which reset upon exit) to keep the time extensions and whatnot flowing. If you are leeching, you are taking up a slot that could be occupied by someone who can actually contribute. Generally only 1-3 people in a given alliance can get away with this at a time, otherwise the kills don't come fast enough, or the lights aren't built up fast enough to keep getting time etc.

Under level 65 or so, your XP will likely be FASTER outside abyssea, in a party where you can actually contribute. Building up lights and a high enough xp chain for you to even get anything at leech level takes a few hours. You could have multiple levels in that time even duo or trio using an xp ring and book pages that are all over the place now.

Regular xp parties are rewarding and fun, and they are a way to learn how to play the game. Waiting for everything to be handed to you is always going to be hard. I suggest you flag up some more in Jueno or try shouting to start a party in a level appropriate zone for yourself. I'm sure you'll find one with relative ease.

Jrmint

Alchemy said:

Well said, just take your time and enjoy the game IMO.

I had a class to 75 before but that was like 3 or 4 years ago.

If you rush to 90 you're just gonna find yourself wondering what to do and just end up leveling another class.

Take your time, enjoy the ride and you'll have more fun as a result.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, this is why I've consistently qualified my tales of crazy Abyssea exp parties with the disclaimer that you shouldn't expect to do that all the time, particularly on your first job. :)

hgplayer1

Dechaios said:
I would totally spend the time to raise a chocobo mount if he wasn't gone in a god damn month or whatever it is. Seriously, SE, make that chocobo permanent! It's not even worth the time...

What exactly do you mean by gone?

ZetaEpyon

hgplayer1 said:
Yeah, this is a good question. You can still call the chocobo even after it's "retired" or whatever.

I pretty much just never use mine because:
  1. It's slower than rental chocobos.
  2. It's another item I have to carry around.
  3. Recharging it is more expensive now than using rentals.

hgplayer1

ZetaEpyon said:
Yeah, this is a good question. You can still call the chocobo even after it's "retired" or whatever.

I pretty much just never use mine because:
  1. It's slower than rental chocobos.
  2. It's another item I have to carry around.
  3. Recharging it is more expensive now than using rentals.

You mean you didnt raise yours for speed?

I once tried raising a chocobo but then forgot about it. Well one day I decided to go check it out and see how it was doing and I got about 3 weeks worth of those cut scenes I had to make my way through.

ZetaEpyon

I raised it when they first came out and nobody really knew anything about how to do it correctly (and feed was ridiculously expensive).

Never bothered to raise another one.

B.K. said:
How exactly do you do afk skilling up at Castle Zvahl Baileys (S) ?

Buy a shitty low damage weapon, make your way to a certain fortilice deep inside the baileys, engage where you won't (hopefully) get aggro, AFK.

DarkKyo

hgplayer1 said:
Hmm my brother told me that they get old and you can't use them anymore. This isn't true?

So if you raise a speedy choco, you get a speedy choco forever?

ZetaEpyon

pancakesandsex said:
Buy a shitty low damage weapon, make your way to a certain fortilice deep inside the baileys, engage where you won't (hopefully) get aggro, AFK.

Pretty much this. And by low damage, we are talking LOW damage. With the 6 dmg wand I had, I was killing the fortalice in ~30 minutes. With the 2 damage Treat Staff II, each fortalice lasted close to a good 5 hours. (I'd have used a signet staff with 1 dmg, but it hits for 0 too often.) Once you're at a fortalice, it's not hard to be safe from aggro. If you want to move between fortalices, you'll need sneak and invis, so take that into account.

Dechaios said:
Hmm my brother told me that they get old and you can't use them anymore. This isn't true?

So if you raise a speedy choco, you get a speedy choco forever?

Yes, the retirement thing is just if you want to keep racing them. Like in the chocobo racing system. You can keep riding the thing around forever as a mode of transport.

Alchemy

pancakesandsex said:
It's fun-ish to do. And your slowchobo can be fun colors. So do it if you feel like it!

Yeah, I'm mainly doing it for convenience in travel just in case I end up somewhere that I don't have access to renting a chocobo like I'm in the dunes and want to go somewhere nearby that teleporting mogs can't help with.

I think I'll still mainly use rented chocobos.

Jesus this was a blast from the past! stopped playing waaaaaaayyyy back like when Sea came out or abit before that. I wouldn't mind jumping on to see how it is now but man this game stole a good two years of my life and I cant remember ANYTHING to do with my account.

DarkKyo

Johnlenham said:
Jesus this was a blast from the past! stopped playing waaaaaaayyyy back like when Sea came out or abit before that. I wouldn't mind jumping on to see how it is now but man this game stole a good two years of my life and I cant remember ANYTHING to do with my account.
Pfft just buy the new edition with all expansions included on steam... 20 bucks plus you get a free month. And a special hat that raises you automatically and keeps you regenned if you are under level 31!

oh god no way would I start from scratch! I was a pimped out ranger and warrior back in the day. Good ole rampage spam tp party's!
I had some sweet gear and a fair whack of gil when I quit not to mention two 75 jobs, all subs to 37 and a few other like a 60 odd NIN, all city quests done yadda yadda yadda.

Shouta

Chuck said:

As pan points out, if it's a fresh character and especially if it's your first time, leveling outside of Abyssea will be faster than leveling in it until you're in the 70s because it takes awhile to build up lights and high level players have to stay in to earn you the XP. In fact, even if it isn't your first job or first time, leveling outside of Abyssea is faster now up until the 70s because of the double XP all mobs are giving, abundance of XP rings, and unlimited Fields/Grounds of Valor.

Hahaha found this while digging around my pc (Ozoko being me)

ozo8vu.jpg

Skidaruzutall

Neo Member
I kinda miss those Faf/Nid camps from years ago. Mass mpking, flailing other linkshells, everyone hp'ing and trying to make it back first for claim, Nidhogg being killed as CFH (this wasn't my ls that did this). Those moments were really intense and I loved being able to contribute for the win. I still enjoy the game, I wouldn't keep playing if I didn't, but those were truly my favorite moments.

As for the Abyssea parties, Chuck, I experienced my first one yesterday early afternoon in Tahrongi Canyon, and I think I would've seen better exp if I was in a regular party. The party lasted for a good few hours, and probably for the first 1-1.5 hrs I wasn't getting any exp except for some exp chests that were opened. After we finally started getting exp, I was only getting 3-10 until it started building up. The highest exp I got from a fight was around 200 and I was level 75. I was a little confused, thinking I had forgotten to do something since I wasn't getting anything, but it was actually normal to start off so low. I think in those 2-3 hours I got maybe 40k exp. The only good thing I walked away with was about 30k cruor to purchase maps with. For a first experience, it wasn't so great.

Portalbox

Chuck said:

But it was made for level 75+ players, it's difficult to get in BEFORE then. Now that I'm in the proper level range, it's not hard at all to join the fun.

B.K.

More Abyssea adjustments next week.

[dev1015] Abyssea Update Scheduled for June 6
As part of a continuing effort to alleviate congestion in Abyssea areas, an update will be performed on Monday, June 6 incorporating the following refinements:

* Sturdy pyxides in Abyssea areas will appear in significantly greater quantities.
* Players will be given the option to manually destroy any sturdy pyxis.
*When exercising this option, the destroying player will receive a cruor reward proportional to the rank of the pyxis.
* The name of the player who successfully struck a fiend's weakness will be displayed in the message log.
* When performing atma infusions, players will be able to view and select from a list of their twelve most recently infused atma.
*When selecting from this list, players will be able to infuse two or three atma at once.
*This feature will function independently of the "Reinfuse previous atma set" option. (Atma selected from the list will not overwrite the previous atma set, nor will atma infused via "Reinfuse..." be stored in the list.)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom