• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
elohel said:
can someone do a quick rundown of what all the expansions added?

and what exactly is abyssea again? lol sry

Rise of Zilart: Kazham, Altepa, Sky, new jorbs, level 50-75 content, Dynamis

Chains of Promathia: Promyvions, Tavnazia zones, Bibiki Bay, Sea, Limbus, Dreamlands Dynamis

Treasures of Aht Urgahn: All the Aht Urgahn areas, Chocobo racing, Beseiged, Einherjar, PUP, BLU, and COR

Wings of the Goddess: All the past areas accessible via the maws, Campaign, Walk of Echoes, Moblin Maze Monger, Voidwatch, SCH, DNC

Mini Expansions: No new areas, just quest packs basically that give you a customizable reward item.

Abyssea: 3 areas per expansion, each area is it's a super condensed quest / tiered boss / XP zone made out of bizzarro versions of existing zones. Added new maws, Bastion, Dominion, Atmas.

Some things like voidwatch were added recently, but are "part" of a particular expansion because it's required to participate.

elohel

wow that all sounds badass so as a player did you guys enjoy all of the expansions? Were any of them considered to be weak?

is there a favorite?

what do the maws do?

Rise of Zilart was THE expansion pack Chains of Promathia was pretty amazing to be a part of that back when it came out with stuff like the bahumut fight. I could spend a few hours roaming around the new town area they added for the music alone and I bailed around the time Treasures of Aht Urgahn really started to pick up just because I couldn't get into Sea and Aht Urgahn was abit meh for me.

Oh yeah Diablios fight aswell. Noo getting sucked back innnnn

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
USA got Zilart when the game launched, so it didn't really feel like an expansion. Story was nice.

Promathia was great, long expansive story (Which I honestly wouldn't mind seeing in a stand alone game). Loved the new areas. Also loved the challenge. I remember that too many people were getting too far so SE ratcheted up the difficulty for a few months to the point where it was practically impossible to beat Ouryu. Me and some friends were already past that and then SE did a new gobbie bag expansion. Me and friends were only some of a handful of people able to access the area where the items dropped, and we proceeded to make a TON of .gil.

AU introduced some new things, but I didn't enjoy the new areas nearly as much as Promathias. I'm in the minority on this.

Wings of the Goddess. Story is fun, but it seems a bit like a rush job, just reusing areas.

Alchemy

I think I've decided on cooking for a main craft so I can make myself some jugs for BST. Time to dig into some cooking guides.

demigod

Chuck said:
I wish I'd realized how fucking difficult it is to get into an abyssea party, it might have made me think twice about coming back to this game.

Start your own Abyssea Sea shout in Port Jeuno with /anon. But really you shouldn't bother doing Abyssea on your first character since you'll be stuck with limit breaks. If you can't find a group you could always tag along when Shouta solos in Abyssea!

demigod said:
Start your own Abyssea Sea shout in Port Jeuno with /anon. But really you shouldn't bother doing Abyssea on your first character since you'll be stuck with limit breaks. If you can't find a group you could always tag along when Shouta solos in Abyssea!
Yeah, I should have been more patient. Standing around in Port Jeuno with nothing to do for hours drove me crazy. I'm thinking about giving the game another shot. I still want to see the ending of CoP at the very least. I wonder if any of you new guys like me would want to duo with a ninja?
Soloing sucks ass.

DarkKyo

Why are you soloing? I've been getting parties just fine and I'm a puppetmaster... I would think a ninja could get some. Do you ever level sync?

How're you liking puppetmaster? Did you put DRK on the back burner to focus on PUP? I'm going to get a lot of shit for this but I don't have Utsu:ni and it's more cost effective to use /DNC and fight DC mobs than to fight IT in a party and burn through stacks of tools.
laughing-smiley-009.gif

Doodlebug

Chuck said:
Yeah, I should have been more patient. Standing around in Port Jeuno with nothing to do for hours drove me crazy. I'm thinking about giving the game another shot. I still want to see the ending of CoP at the very least. I wonder if any of you new guys like me would want to duo with a ninja?
Soloing sucks ass.

What's your character name and current level?

Alchemy

I did a lot of my DNC leveling solo, it wasn't that bad at all. I much prefer being able to throw my LFG flag up and soloing then putting up my LFG flag and sitting around in Jeuno unable to do anything.

Skidaruzutall

Neo Member
Chuck said:
How're you liking puppetmaster? Did you put DRK on the back burner to focus on PUP? I'm going to get a lot of shit for this but I don't have Utsu:ni and it's more cost effective to use /DNC and fight DC mobs than to fight IT in a party and burn through stacks of tools.
laughing-smiley-009.gif

If you need another member for the BC, I can come on my rdm if you want.

Jrmint

Chuck said:
Soloing sucks ass.
I'll duo with you man. Only level 25 dnc at the moment, but having a static duo partner would be fun.

Alchemy

Jrmint said:
I'll duo with you man. Only level 25 dnc at the moment, but having a static duo partner would be fun.

I'd be willing to sync down and level with people, after I finish limit break 1 and can start leveling again -.-

DarkKyo

Chuck said:
laughing-smiley-009.gif
I'm liking it.. I'm only level 23 but it is pretty enjoyable. I guess I am taking a break with DRK because I got the money for all the PUP basics covered.

Ravidrath

What is Dynamis for, at this point?

I saw they made some changes to it, but I'm surprised the gear is still relevant. I feel like it was barely worthwhile when I stopped playing, and that was after the cap increase to 80.

elohel

Ravidrath said:
What is Dynamis for, at this point?

I saw they made some changes to it, but I'm surprised the gear is still relevant. I feel like it was barely worthwhile when I stopped playing, and that was after the cap increase to 80.

what was it used for before?

elohel said:
what was it used for before?

Relic Gear, farming for Relic weapons. There are new arch bosses now that have nice non exclusive drops too, including the "mujin" and "oneiros" items and archon cape and ring, and sagasinger

B.K.

Got WAR from 79 to almost 88 last night in a worm party. I probably could have gotten to 90, but some idiot called Kizen killed a Ephemeral Clionid without calling for help and ruined the experience points we were getting. I stayed around for a few more minutes after that, but I ended up leaving because I didn't feel like staying around to build exp. back up. I skilled my Axe skill up about 65 levels in that group though.

B.K. said:
Got WAR from 79 to almost 88 last night in a worm party. I probably could have gotten to 90, but some idiot called Kizen killed a Ephemeral Clionid without calling for help and ruined the experience points we were getting. I stayed around for a few more minutes after that, but I ended up leaving because I didn't feel like staying around to build exp. back up. I skilled my Axe skill up about 65 levels in that group though.

Nice, grats once I finish getting my brd in playable condition I'm going to start leveling warrior too. Can't wait for all the blue numbers on my combat skills :3

Our main war in NU just finished their ukon and we actually need them to hit things LESS now because they do too much damage :3 It's retardedly awesome.

Alchemy

B.K. said:

Clionid's ruin the lights that boost exp gain? Good to know.

B.K.

How does dual wield affect skill ups? If I have two different weapons equipped in both hands, do they both skill up or just the one in the main hand?

Shouta

Alchemy said:
Clionid's ruin the lights that boost exp gain? Good to know.

Killing a different mob kills the chain.

In Abyssea, XP chains are built up by killing the same mob over and over. If you kill the same mob, it breaks the chain and your XP starts over from scratch.

On the flipside, Cruor chains are built by never killing the same enemy twice. If you continue that, you can get a Cruor chain that is equivalent to an XP chain in gain. The way you break a cruor chain is by killing two of the same enemy.

B.K. said:
How does dual wield affect skill ups? If I have two different weapons equipped in both hands, do they both skill up or just the one in the main hand?

Both weapons should skill-up.

Alchemy

Shouta said:
Killing a different mob kills the chain.

In Abyssea, XP chains are built up by killing the same mob over and over. If you kill the same mob, it breaks the chain and your XP starts over from scratch.

On the flipside, Cruor chains are built by never killing the same enemy twice. If you continue that, you can get a Cruor chain that is equivalent to an XP chain in gain. The way you break a cruor chain is by killing two of the same enemy.

Awesome info, thanks! I only knew about the lights and figured there were just optimum mobs to grind for exp gain, didn't know people were chaining them specifically.

Entwain

Finally got my bst to 58, sadly i'm on shiva and alone so i'm debating on transferring off here due to i've literally done every level except 20-30 on dancer solo.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Entwain said:
Finally got my bst to 58, sadly i'm on shiva and alone so i'm debating on transferring off here due to i've literally done every level except 20-30 on dancer solo.

If you have no ties to your server, go to the GAF server. Seems like a bunch of fun people. And Shouta.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
On the bragging front, the Linkshell I'm in just hit #1 on the server according to FFXAH rankings. It's our PUP-Free policy that lets so rock so much. :)

DarkKyo

elohel said:
am I wasting time by not being a returning player? lol returning meaning not having had a previous maxed out char?
If anything if you had a previously maxed out character you would have wasted time then because it's so much easier to get to the higher levels now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom