• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alchemy

Fuck it, the grind to 70 feels just as much like ass as the grinding did back when I quit. Think I'll camp Crawlers for page 1 alliances or just quit at this point.

Skidaruzutall

Neo Member
Alchemy said:
Fuck it, the grind to 70 feels just as much like ass as the grinding did back when I quit. Think I'll camp Crawlers for page 1 alliances or just quit at this point.

I take it that spiders vs. puks didn't go so well last night?

Velion

Alchemy said:
Why quit? once you break lvl 70 cap exp is just a joke to get.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
I thought 75 was the start of Abyssea? Where is there to exp from 70-75?

You can enter abyssea at 30 and can usually get in a party once you hit 70 (earlier if you're a mage or support)

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
I've been toying with coming back, but I would have to start allll over since I lost every single shred of information on my old accounts (half of it on purpose). That makes the prospect...blah. =/

hgplayer1

I recently took NIN from 50 to 90 and it was fairly effortless. I know I did a worms party in Abyssea-LaThiene and and DomOps party in Abyssea-Altepa that made up the bulk of the exp I gained but there were field manual pages I soloed and I think I duoed and trioed with some LS peeps on a few occassions.

There are so many options now on what you can do for exp but you have to experiment a little bit sometimes to find the best combo for your job and time requirements. If you know you can play for several hours at a time I would make abyssea parties my priority as soon as you log in. If you dont have that much time then make sure you know of a good field manual or grounds tome you can go to and solo for easy exp.

Last night I popped my anniversary ring twice and just killed anything in sight and took DNC from 10 to 20. That was without using field manuals at all cause I hate running back to the book over and over. Im probably gonna try to get DNC to 30 tonight and if anybody wants to join me just look for me in game later this evening.

Alchemy

I had no problem getting up to 67, but the problem is what to do now. Popping an exp ring and trying to kill stuff solo barely makes a dent in the total exp needed to level. Abyssea is fantastic if you can get into a party, but since I'm not a mage it looks like I'm going to have to tough it out until I get a bit higher.

Crawlers Page 1 alliances is the best exp I've found outside of Abyssea, so I'm probably just going to camp the entrance to CN for one and just try to power up to 70 I guess.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
I had no problem getting up to 67, but the problem is what to do now. Popping an exp ring and trying to kill stuff solo barely makes a dent in the total exp needed to level. Abyssea is fantastic if you can get into a party, but since I'm not a mage it looks like I'm going to have to tough it out until I get a bit higher.

Crawlers Page 1 alliances is the best exp I've found outside of Abyssea, so I'm probably just going to camp the entrance to CN for one and just try to power up to 70 I guess.

67 you can probably get into an abyssea alliance. Then you'll be 90 in a few hours :)

Alchemy

DrForester said:
67 you can probably get into an abyssea alliance. Then you'll be 90 in a few hours :)

Well maybe I'll try that then. Though I still need to beat up Maat, which I'm really looking forward to. I really like individual solo challenges, just annoyed I can't bring in a sub job as that would add some variety in strategies used.

Right now its looking like Rampage + Rampage + Snarl + Tank Pet = win. Just have to worry about combat skills.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Alchemy said:
and can I really contribute in Abyssea at 67 as a BST?

Have you done any abyssea?

What you really want to do is get in groups fighting the zone bosses. When you defeat the zone boss in one zone, you get something called a Lunar Abyssite. You get a second when you defeat your 7th Abyssea zone boss. And one you can buy with Curor (which you'll get plenty of in Abyssea).

These allow you to get Atma infused on your character in abyssea. They are modifiers to various stats and you can equip one for every Lunar Abyssite you posses. Most the stat boosts WILL apply to your pet as well (like say +strength atma).

Without abyssite you won't do much damage, but there will be plenty of people in pick up groups that only have one or two atma's equipped instead of three (it's not hard to get the first zone boss, and the one you buy). Tougher part is getting Atmas.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Atma

Check out the list, see which ones you want, and try and get in groups killing those bosses.

Alchemy

DrForester said:
Have you done any abyssea?

What you really want to do is get in groups fighting the zone bosses. When you defeat the zone boss in one zone, you get something called a Lunar Abyssite. You get a second when you defeat your 7th Abyssea zone boss. And one you can buy with Curor (which you'll get plenty of in Abyssea).

These allow you to get Atma infused on your character in abyssea. They are modifiers to various stats and you can equip one for every Lunar Abyssite you posses. Most the stat boosts WILL apply to your pet as well (like say +strength atma).

Without abyssite you won't do much damage, but there will be plenty of people in pick up groups that only have one or two atma's equipped instead of three (it's not hard to get the first zone boss, and the one you buy). Tougher part is getting Atmas.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Atma

Check out the list, see which ones you want, and try and get in groups killing those bosses.

The only Abyssea I've done is key whoring because I'm not at a level high enough to actually kill anything. It seems like getting into a group is rather difficult without the capability to assist in any form, outside of the LS groups I've been in people don't seem to take kindly to leeches.

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
and can I really contribute in Abyssea at 67 as a BST?

ohhhhhh youre lvling BST .......

but seriously your focus right now should be on Maat. For me personally I wouldnt even be considering Abyssea if I didnt have my limit breaks done. If you get into an Abyssea party then reach your limit cap youll be gaining nothing but cruor at that point.

Like Forester mentioned Abyssea zone boss fights are good to do for the atmas and to gain the two lunar abyssites you get from your first and 7th wins. Those will make a huge difference in how powerful you are in those parties.

I understand what youre saying about the grind but keep an open mind as to how you can gain exp. Dont be afraid to ask for help in the linkshell (whats your characters name by the way). Have your seek party flag up all the time even if youre soloing pages. Make sure to put some comments in the search menu so people know what youre willing to do as far as level sync and Abyssea. Keep an eye on chat there are plenty of times Ive been in Abyssea parties and asked if anyone wanted to come out since our party had some open spots.

There still are no sure fire shortcuts to great exp all the time but trust me its soooo much easier these days.

Shouta

Kintaro said:
I've been toying with coming back, but I would have to start allll over since I lost every single shred of information on my old accounts (half of it on purpose). That makes the prospect...blah. =/

At least it's a bit easier to get nice stuff, aside!

Alchemy

hgplayer1 said:
ohhhhhh youre lvling BST .......

but seriously your focus right now should be on Maat. For me personally I wouldnt even be considering Abyssea if I didnt have my limit breaks done. If you get into an Abyssea party then reach your limit cap youll be gaining nothing but cruor at that point.

Like Forester mentioned Abyssea zone boss fights are good to do for the atmas and to gain the two lunar abyssites you get from your first and 7th wins. Those will make a huge difference in how powerful you are in those parties.

I understand what youre saying about the grind but keep an open mind as to how you can gain exp. Dont be afraid to ask for help in the linkshell (whats your characters name by the way). Have your seek party flag up all the time even if youre soloing pages. Make sure to put some comments in the search menu so people know what youre willing to do as far as level sync and Abyssea. Keep an eye on chat there are plenty of times Ive been in Abyssea parties and asked if anyone wanted to come out since our party had some open spots.

There still are no sure fire shortcuts to great exp all the time but trust me its soooo much easier these days.

<~Nyre

I've actually had a tricky time finding good GoV pages to level on. The ones I tried finding always end up being out of the way and not very efficient. But I do love GoV alliances. From what I've seen nothing can top Crawlers Nest Page 1.

The next couple of weekends are going to suck because I won't really have enough time to dig in and play, so maybe the light break will help me power through the next three levels when I come back.

And I wouldn't actually mind getting some more cruor at this point. Would help out for key whoring other jobs I want to level.

Alchemy

From what I've discovered, there is no reason to leave the crawlers nest until you're ready for Abyssea unless you need to catch up on combat skills or do some quests.

Time to hunt down a BST testimony and go skill up.

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
From what I've discovered, there is no reason to leave the crawlers nest until you're ready for Abyssea unless you need to catch up on combat skills or do some quests.

Time to hunt down a BST testimony and go skill up.

Once you have all your limit breaks done it would be in your best interest to have all the preliminary Abyssea stuff done. Not saying you will really spend a whole lot of time in there but you should be ready for the oppurtunities.

Alchemy

hgplayer1 said:
Once you have all your limit breaks done it would be in your best interest to have all the preliminary Abyssea stuff done. Not saying you will really spend a whole lot of time in there but you should be ready for the oppurtunities.

Like missions and stuff? I was thinking that I would try to go for 90, get fairly decent gear, and go back and solo as many missions as I can before grouping to finish them off.

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
Like missions and stuff? I was thinking that I would try to go for 90, get fairly decent gear, and go back and solo as many missions as I can before grouping to finish them off.

I wouldnt say youre ever really gonna focus on quests or missions in Abyssea. EXP and cruor and NM farming for items is what everyone is doing.

Alchemy

Rawk Hawk said:
Hmm, Final Fantasy XI? Sounds like a fun game.. might have to give it a shot.

Just make sure to research and plan your job progression, otherwise it can be very frustrating. FFXI is much better then it used to be, but its still very newb unfriendly.

hgplayer1

Rawk Hawk said:
Hmm, Final Fantasy XI? Sounds like a fun game.. might have to give it a shot.

If you do join us make your character a hamster. I hear they are the superior race and can tank everything in the game.

hgplayer1

Kaper said:
Any chance my old character from '09 still exists? I have this sudden urge to start playing again.

Probably. I dont know if theres a way to find out for sure other than signing back up. Do you still have all your account info?

Alchemy

It feels really strange to be at work while my character is auto attacking a fortalice at home... This games makes me super paranoid about constantly being in danger of dying.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
I would gladly come back to my character created around EU release date if after HD-ing fonts SE did the same thing to the graphics. Sadly, my eyes bleed when I look at the game now :<

Alchemy

Keiician said:
I would gladly come back to my character created around EU release date if after HD-ing fonts SE did the same thing to the graphics. Sadly, my eyes bleed when I look at the game now :<

If you're running the PC version just change the registry files so the rendering resolution matches that of your monitors and it looks just fine. I run mine at 1920x1080, helps so much with getting rid of the jaggies.

Hasemo

(;・∀・)ハッ?
Yeah, I did this since the beginning - changing the texture resolution and all that. Still, it really doesn't look that good anymore (although I loved it when it came out). Or maybe that's just me.

Alchemy

Keiician said:
Yeah, I did this since the beginning - changing the texture resolution and all that. Still, it really doesn't look that good anymore (although I loved it when it came out). Or maybe that's just me.

Texture resolution has a cap because its a physical asset that can't really have the max res improved, but you can smooth out all the 3D geometry. Obviously it looks dated and is fairly restricted because of the engine needing to support the PS2, but at higher resolutions it doesn't bother me at all. At lower resolutions the jaggies were pretty horrifying.

The art style does hold up fairly well though. The only thing that really bothers me these days is how many of their maps are hallways and mazes. Obviously its a decision based around tech limitations like draw distance and number of creatures on screen at once, and it appears a number of the newer maps avoid this, but coming from MMOs like WoW make the game feel a bit claustrophobic. It is also a tad silly to look up and constantly see the walls stop before they reach the ceiling, that they're just tall enough to block your view and progress.

Rawk Hawk

Trying to recover my PlayOnline password, because I'm an idiot and don't remember it. Getting reminded what wonderful service you get with SE, was in a live online support queue, started 9th. When I got to 1st on the queue, 25 minutes later, the page reloaded and told me no one was available to help, so I needed to try again later... Isn't the point of the queue to give me somewhere to wait until someone can help me? Reloaded the page and I was 4th in the queue again.

Needless to say I just emailed them instead, so in a couple days whenever they get around to check their inbox, I might be online.

hgplayer1

Rawk Hawk said:
Trying to recover my PlayOnline password, because I'm an idiot and don't remember it. Getting reminded what wonderful service you get with SE, was in a live online support queue, started 9th. When I got to 1st on the queue, 25 minutes later, the page reloaded and told me no one was available to help, so I needed to try again later... Isn't the point of the queue to give me somewhere to wait until someone can help me? Reloaded the page and I was 4th in the queue again.

Needless to say I just emailed them instead, so in a couple days whenever they get around to check their inbox, I might be online.

Damn if I ever forgot my password I would just make a new account or never bother again. Kudos to you!

hgplayer1

Keep meaning to post this but here are some of the things Im currently working on in game and wanted to see if anyone else needed help or could offer help.

Treasure of Aht Urghan missions - Currently on Shield of Diplomacy mission 22. willing to help on some of the earlier missions to get people caught up.

A Moogle Kupo deTat missions - currently on mission 8 Lender Beware! Read the Fine Print. Annoying quest in Sea Serpent Grotto. willing to catch people up.

Wings of the Goddess missions- very much on the back burner but willing to do this if not working on TOAU and Moogle.

Abyssea farming - cant do any of this on my own at the moment so if anyone needs help Im game for anything. KIs, seals, Atma's.

I have rank 10 Sandy on my main and am working on Bastok missions on my alt so if anyone has any interest in those I can help.

Im sure theres other stuff but thats all I can think of.

Alchemy

hgplayer1 said:
Abyssea farming - cant do any of this on my own at the moment so if anyone needs help Im game for anything. KIs, seals, Atma's.

At what level would a BST be helpful for this? Slowly getting to 75 so I should be somewhat useful shortly.

hgplayer1 said:
I have rank 10 Sandy on my main and am working on Bastok missions on my alt so if anyone has any interest in those I can help.

I'm 5-1 Windy. I dunno if Windy/Bastok missions overlap at all, but if they do or your alt needs help I'm up for it.

Just don't try to ask me for help right now, I'm not even in the same building as the PC running FFXI is currently >.>

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
At what level would a BST be helpful for this? Slowly getting to 75 so I should be somewhat useful shortly.

Its best to be 90 when doing anything in Abyssea as a small group though some of the first areas introduced are a little easier to kill things in.

I'm 5-1 Windy. I dunno if Windy/Bastok missions overlap at all, but if they do or your alt needs help I'm up for it.

They dont. Im pretty close to the end of Bastok missions and as soon as Im done with that Im moving on to Windy. If youre still doing them at that point Id be glad to help.

Just don't try to ask me for help right now, I'm not even in the same building as the PC running FFXI is currently >.>

Rawk Hawk

hgplayer1 said:
Its best to be 90 when doing anything in Abyssea as a small group though some of the first areas introduced are a little easier to kill things in.

They dont. Im pretty close to the end of Bastok missions and as soon as Im done with that Im moving on to Windy. If youre still doing them at that point Id be glad to help.
Oh the missions, remember when we duo'd the dolls in Fei'Yin for Sandy? That was interesting to say the least.

Anyone done updating through Turrents before? I downloaded them all last night, unzipped everything correctly, but low and behold there is no Final Fantasy folder yet (likely since I haven't been able to get on PlayOnline yet). Once I get on, I know the update is going to start up, can I cancel that and then exit out of POL and do it manually at that point? Or will the update starting up normally mess up my plans?

hgplayer1

Rawk Hawk said:
Oh the missions, remember when we duo'd the dolls in Fei'Yin for Sandy? That was interesting to say the least.

Anyone done updating through Turrents before? I downloaded them all last night, unzipped everything correctly, but low and behold there is no Final Fantasy folder yet (likely since I haven't been able to get on PlayOnline yet). Once I get on, I know the update is going to start up, can I cancel that and then exit out of POL and do it manually at that point? Or will the update starting up normally mess up my plans?

Are you talking about updating or getting all the files from the beginning? I think I had to get a couple of the expansions from torrents before when my discs wouldnt read and it worked but I dont remember the process.

Also missions dont have level caps so you can do them with a lvl 90 job now. I did the Bastok mission up to 8 solo on my 75 SAM.

Rawk Hawk

hgplayer1 said:
Are you talking about updating or getting all the files from the beginning? I think I had to get a couple of the expansions from torrents before when my discs wouldnt read and it worked but I dont remember the process.

Also missions dont have level caps so you can do them with a lvl 90 job now. I did the Bastok mission up to 8 solo on my 75 SAM.
Well, I figured out my mistake, but it was too late now. It's already updating and I deleted the zipped files and everything thinking I needed to wait until the after the initial set up. Turns out, because I purchased this version through Steam, the PlayOnline folder doesn't come up, the Final Fantasy XI folder I needed is in the Steam folder on my HDD.

Eh oh well, should be updated and ready to go by tomorrow anyway.

Rawk Hawk

Mistake #2 made already. Went to bed a little early last night, woke up this morning and figured I would buy my marbles (the only reason I paid a full month subscription for 2 days of June) before work today. Turns out by Thursday June 30th, they meant Thursday June 30th at 4:00am EDT. So I didn't get any marbles, lol.

hgplayer1

Alchemy said:
How much are the marbles? Some of the prizes look interesting but I seem to recall it not being worth it.

I havent looked at the prize list this year but in the past you could win things like relic weapons and other rare stuff. I think straight gil too but not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom