• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
MCX said:
NIN was such an awesome job.

So what are these atmas things you speak of?

They are special buffs you can use in abyssea zones (can chose 1-3 depending on how you've progressed in Abyssea missions. You can purchase one for 100,000 curor, and you get one when you defeat any one zones quest boss, and another when you defeat your seventh zone quest boss).

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Atma

You get them from defeating certain Abyssea NM's or from victories in other parts of FFXI (There's a special Atma for every expansion and mini-expansion completion, as well as a few other special accomplishments).

Even one greatly helps you, if you have/chose the right one. And getting 3 makes your job a powerhouse. Mages can get Atma's with refresh on them, ensuring that it is nearly impossible to run out of MP during Abyssea. Melee can get Atma that increase their stats, critical hit rate, double attack, etc.

Shouta

MCX said:
NIN was such an awesome job.

So what are these atmas things you speak of?

like DrForester mentions, atmas are super buffs in Abyssea zones. They literally increase the strength of most jobs like ten-fold in the right combinations. weapon skills doing several thousand damage, nukes doing just as much, infinite refresh, nearly critical hitting on every swing, etc.

NIN/DNC with the right atmas is a powerhouse solo'er now because it can produce a ton of damage and is safe with its high evasion and shadows. MNK is pretty amazing too now because of it. There's an atma that increases evasion, crit hit rate, and counter rate which stacks on top of Counterstance so that + shadows for MNK makes them an incredibly powerful duoer with a WHM or so.

The jobs that got the most shaft currently (and it's not even a bad shafting) is SAM and DRK because they lack Critical Hit weapon skills on their main weapons but it still doesn't stop them from doing some stupid high damage.

Shouta

Pai Pai Master said:
Wait so people solo Abyssea now? ._.

Can solo a decent number of stuff in Abyssea, higher level NMs not so much but those can be done in a small group with the right Atmas and jobs.

Kandinsky

TAJ said:
I used to beg you guys to let me bring NIN to something... anything. Now it's a bandwagon job? FML. Buying FFXIV is one of the worst mistakes I've ever made.
Nin is just fun to solo/lowman stuff and an awesome (top tier) DD in abyssea xp partys now, outside of abyssea NIN is still lol, thats all.

img_20101221_163023.jpg

img_20101221_163932.jpg

Sac <3

Got the abyssite and atma as well.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
pancakesandsex said:
Sac <3

Got the abyssite and atma as well.

Loved my Auger's body but it kind of got upstaged with latest update SMN AF3 body piece. If you get the +2 AF3 body you get 10 SMN skill, and even with the +1 you get +7 and the Blood Pact Damage + . If you don't have the +2 though Auger's is still the go-to piece for your SMN buffs, and Elemental Siphon (Capped SMN skill and most SMN Skill + gear lands me 463 MP just by using day/weather elemental, and well over 500 if I can get double weather).

Kandinsky

DrForester said:
Loved my Auger's body but it kind of got upstaged with latest update SMN AF3 body piece. If you get the +2 AF3 body you get 10 SMN skill, and even with the +1 you get +7 and the Blood Pact Damage + . If you don't have the +2 though Auger's is still the go-to piece for your SMN buffs, and Elemental Siphon (Capped SMN skill and most SMN Skill + gear lands me 463 MP just by using day/weather elemental, and well over 500 if I can get double weather).
Pan doesnt even have smn!

hgplayer1

I honeslty would love to get back on XI and do some things but man time is not my friend these days and there are too many games out there.

If the LS was still active like back in the days when we were doing COP and stuff I would log in more often.

B.K.

Kandinsky said:
3 i think?:lol

D:

So there aren't enough people to make it worth coming back? I always had bad times partying with strangers, so I tried to stay with the GAF linkshell whenever I did anything.

Kntj

Bought the ultimate collection on steam. I can't decide if I should use it on my old account (played about 400h in 2009) to get add-ons or make a new one with a free month.

If I start a free month now, do I pay for the last 5 days of january?

Kntj said:
Bought the ultimate collection on steam. I can't decide if I should use it on my old account (played about 400h in 2009) to get add-ons or make a new one with a free month.

If I start a free month now, do I pay for the last 5 days of january?

Use your old account, level a new job to get re-acquainted. Saves on some of the beginner BS you have to go through. If you start a free month now it's only good till the end of the month, yes. I would start Jan 1st or the week of to maximize the value. You'll still want to get all 3 abyssea add-ons and just ignore it for a few weeks while you get re-acquainted. This will build you up a good stock of "stones" to use for entry. Think of it like assault tags that stack infinitely over time. It's easier to get into when you build up a bunch.

Husker86

So this game is on the verge of sucking me back in yet again. I got to 76 but never bought Abyssea. Are level differences as big of a deal in Abyssea as they are in normal exp parties? Though I'm sure there are plenty people my level around, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to get into a group, or if high level groups can party with a lower level in Abyssea without too much of a exp penalty.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Husker86 said:
So this game is on the verge of sucking me back in yet again. I got to 76 but never bought Abyssea. Are level differences as big of a deal in Abyssea as they are in normal exp parties? Though I'm sure there are plenty people my level around, I'm just wondering how hard it would be to get into a group, or if high level groups can party with a lower level in Abyssea without too much of a exp penalty.

Buy the things now, then talk to the guy in Jeuno and then go visit a zone. This get you started earning stones to enter (you get one every 24 hours, and with certain key items can get down to one every 8 hours). But the point is you earn stones continually. The NPC will stockpile them for you.

It's pretty irrelevant far as level goes. I don't think you'd have much trouble getting a party. Visit all the Abyssea Zones, go in, get visitant status, then exit. This way you can warp to any zone directly from Jeuno. Dominion Ops parties are the best (these will be in Grauberg, Uleguard, and Altep), you kill mobs, and every 5 you kill you talk to an NPC to get a reward of a bunch of exp. Then you do it again. But any party will get you to 90 fairly fast.

Husker86

DrForester said:
Buy the things now, then talk to the guy in Jeuno and then go visit a zone. This get you started earning stones to enter (you get one every 24 hours, and with certain key items can get down to one every 8 hours). But the point is you earn stones continually. The NPC will stockpile them for you.

It's pretty irrelevant far as level goes. I don't think you'd have much trouble getting a party. Visit all the Abyssea Zones, go in, get visitant status, then exit. This way you can warp to any zone directly from Jeuno. Dominion Ops parties are the best (these will be in Grauberg, Uleguard, and Altep), you kill mobs, and every 5 you kill you talk to an NPC to get a reward of a bunch of exp. Then you do it again. But any party will get you to 90 fairly fast.
Awesome, thanks! I'm excited to come back, everything I've read has people saying how much the game has changed for the better.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:
I got it too! Thing is awesome. Unfortunately, Raja was not, that dude is evil.

Yeah, Raja suck. We've been trying to get Atma on everything we fight in my LS but we just decided not to bother for now when we killed him. We'll get it next time, other people in our shell need him killed.

Kntj

pancakesandsex said:
Use your old account, level a new job to get re-acquainted. Saves on some of the beginner BS you have to go through. If you start a free month now it's only good till the end of the month, yes. I would start Jan 1st or the week of to maximize the value. You'll still want to get all 3 abyssea add-ons and just ignore it for a few weeks while you get re-acquainted. This will build you up a good stock of "stones" to use for entry. Think of it like assault tags that stack infinitely over time. It's easier to get into when you build up a bunch.

Thanks, going to start with my old account in January. I guess it would be stupid to lose all the progress even if I have to pay 13$ extra. My character is in Gilgamesh though and it's not very active even compared to Sylph (based on ffxiah's Active numbers).

Kntj said:
Thanks, going to start with my old account in January. I guess it would be stupid to lose all the progress even if I have to pay 13$ extra. My character is in Gilgamesh though and it's not very active even compared to Sylph (based on ffxiah's Active numbers).

Well you could transfer.

Shouta

DrForester said:
Yeah, Raja suck. We've been trying to get Atma on everything we fight in my LS but we just decided not to bother for now when we killed him. We'll get it next time, other people in our shell need him killed.

To think Rani is technically worse. We got luck and someone brew'd it for us but man Meteor is a dick!

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Shouta said:
To think Rani is technically worse. We got luck and someone brew'd it for us but man Meteor is a dick!

Wait. Never mind I got them mixed up. Was thinking Raja was Altep. Rani is Altep and he is a dick.

We actually didn't have too many problems with Raja. He was just part of a night where we went in, killed zone boss then Raja and left to do another zone the rest of the night.

Shouta

DrForester said:
Wait. Never mind I got them mixed up. Was thinking Raja was Altep. Rani is Altep and he is a dick.

We actually didn't have too many problems with Raja. He was just part of a night where we went in, killed zone boss then Raja and left to do another zone the rest of the night.

Rani is evil yes. Raja is annoying if he starts spamming decree on you which is just a ridiculous move =/

Husker86

Kntj said:
I'll be reactivating on Gilgamesh as well, what's your character name?

B.K.

I bought a new video card today so I can play the game without any slowdown. I got a cheap 9500GT. I know it's not the best, but it's the most I can afford. I'll be happy with it if it lasts a year or two. Then I can buy a better one. I got almost a 7000 on Benchmark 3. No more 3fps in cutscenes for me! I'll probably reactivate this weekend and let updates download while I'm watching The Twilight Zone on Saturday.

B.K.

Finally got the add-ons registered and I'm downloading the updates. It says it's going to take another four hours to update. I thought it'd take longer than that. I haven't played since around June. I thought there'd be more to update.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
B.K. said:
Finally got the add-ons registered and I'm downloading the updates. It says it's going to take another four hours to update. I thought it'd take longer than that. I haven't played since around June. I thought there'd be more to update.

Without much traffic like when updates first go live downloading goes fast. It says 4 hours, I'd actually be surprised if it even takes 1.

Kntj

Over 10 hour update for me, but I hope it doesn't show correctly. Bought visions of abyssea, is there a good reason to buy all of them now?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Kntj said:
Over 10 hour update for me, but I hope it doesn't show correctly. Bought visions of abyssea, is there a good reason to buy all of them now?

Yes because all 3 Abyssea zones are the only places to exp at high levels now.

B.K.

Finally got everything updated and played for a little bit. There's only a couple people in the GAF Linkshell. I get the feeling that it's too late in XI's life to come back. I probably should just move on to XIV. :lol

B.K. said:
Finally got everything updated and played for a little bit. There's only a couple people in the GAF Linkshell. I get the feeling that it's too late in XI's life to come back. I probably should just move on to XIV. :lol

Don't hesitate to look for your own social as well as SoD. I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom