• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

FreeMufasa

pancakesandsex said:
We're mostly on Sylph

Ok thanks.

Having another mini problem. I'm trying to use a 360 wired controller but it doesn't seem to work. It works for pretty much all games and even in the FFXI config settings (I've mapped the buttons). But as soon as I load up the game, it doesn't work.

Is this a common problem?

FreeMufasa said:
Ok thanks.

Having another mini problem. I'm trying to use a 360 wired controller but it doesn't seem to work. It works for pretty much all games and even in the FFXI config settings (I've mapped the buttons). But as soon as I load up the game, it doesn't work.

Kinda strange. I know 360 controllers have issues with the triggers in XI, but I have never heard about anything like you are describing. Is nothing working at all? You don't have movement mapped to the dpad or something riddonk like that do you?

You have to map the axes as well if you didn't.

creid

FreeMufasa said:
Ok thanks.

I just started recently, and the 360 wired controller works, but I did have to jump through some hoops to get the dpad to work. Did you install MS's drivers for the controller?

FreeMufasa

Yep. Installed MS drivers.

I mapped movement to the left stick, camera to the right and Menu to the d-pad. But it doesn't even let me select or move in the main menu screen. Which is really strange because when I test the buttons and sticks in config, everything works perfectly.

I think i'll uninstall the drivers and reinstall them again, see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I found this guide so i'll try that after.

FreeMufasa said:
Yep. Installed MS drivers.

I mapped movement to the left stick, camera to the right and Menu to the d-pad. But it doesn't even let me select or move in the main menu screen. Which is really strange because when I test the buttons and sticks in config, everything works perfectly.

I think i'll uninstall the drivers and reinstall them again, see if that makes a difference. If that doesn't work, I found this guide so i'll try that after.

Do you have more than one controller? Make sure the MS pad is set as the primary.

FreeMufasa

pancakesandsex said:
Do you have more than one controller? Make sure the MS pad is set as the primary.

Got it working! Turns out there's a rare problem with the steam version where any changes done in the settings do not save (Was wondering why it looked so shitty despite setting everything to high). The fix was to do it from the steam folder and it's fine now. Thanks for the help guys.

Although i'm pretty tired so I think i'll start playing tommorow. My plan is to have a maximum play time of 2 hours a day (or till I finish the last mission). Playing FFXIV last weekend showed me how these games can sap your time in an instant. I hope there's some casual groups I can play with.

creid

FreeMufasa said:
Although i'm pretty tired so I think i'll start playing tommorow. My plan is to have a maximum play time of 2 hours a day (or till I finish the last mission). Playing FFXIV last weekend showed me how these games can sap your time in an instant. I hope there's some casual groups I can play with.
Are you on Sylph? I'm Creid, and I'd be willing to join up. Though I am stuck in the San d'Oria area for a while...

FreeMufasa

creid said:
Are you on Sylph? I'm Creid, and I'd be willing to join up. Though I am stuck in the San d'Oria area for a while...

Yep jumped on Sylph yesterday. I've just started so we should definately play together. My name is Basche. I think you just add someone right?

It's really overwhelming when you see the amount of content there is on this game. Gonna take it slowly but it's great to know I have so much to explore.

ZetaEpyon

Make sure you both send one of us sackholders a tell if you want a pearl for the (mostly) GAF linkshell, StarsOfDestiny.

It's been a little less active lately, but I think that might change with the update coming this weekend. :)

creid

I'm feeling a bit stuck. I'm a level 21 warrior, not strong enough to get to where i need to go to finish my next mission, but too strong to keep leveling where I've been leveling (and a bit bored of leveling, at that.) I assume I can't get to any of the other cities yet. What can I do at my level that's fun?

ZetaEpyon

You should be able to get to Jeuno without too much trouble at 21 (and thus the other cities too). Have you already done the quest to get your subjob and everything?

creid

No, haven't started anything like that. Whenever I look up quests like that they seem to involve collecting random items frrom all over, and I kind of lose interest.

Would I have to walk to Jeuno, or am I allowed to take an airship now?

B.K.

creid said:
Would I have to walk to Jeuno, or am I allowed to take an airship now?

You have to walk to Jeuno the first time. When you get to Jeuno, you can do the quest to get your Chocobo License so you can ride Chocobos. You can't ride the airship until you finish the Rank 4 missions in your home country, or buy an airship pass for 500,000 gil.

B.K.

Took you long enough.

Edit: Where is the outpost in Oldton Movalpolos? Bastok has it this week, so I want to do a supply run, but I can't find the outpost on the map.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
B.K. said:
Took you long enough.

Edit: Where is the outpost in Oldton Movalpolos? Bastok has it this week, so I want to do a supply run, but I can't find the outpost on the map.

Does Movalpolos have an outpost? I don't think you can warp there with OP warp...

B.K.

I tried to fight Greenman for the Great Axe weapon skill quest and lost. That thing is harder than I was expecting it to be.

creid

Started the quest for my subjob and got whooped by a Damselfly. Luckily got asked to join a party by some random people, and went up a couple levels doing FoV pages. It was actually pretty fun, which is good because my interest was flagging.

B.K.

Aurellius, Seigyoku, one of their friends, and I did a quick run of the Bastok Rank 7 missions tonight. It's weird seeing 8 by my name in the Linkshell list. I've been Rank 6 for probably a year and a half. HG needs to get his mule on one day when the four of us are and we can all go through the Rank 8 missions.

jiggle

which elements?

you can fill up on water/lightning really easily in pashow marshlands
ice in xarcabard/beaucedine
earth in the altepas with rare chance of fire
wind somewhat common in la thiene
fire - pops in dunes/altepas/jungles, but i don't recall it's very common?

you can get them all in ru-aun gardens iirc

ZetaEpyon

Damn, I should have done that last night.
If it does end up being a random subjob item, those areas are going to be swarming with people and no mobs. :(

creid

ZetaEpyon said:
Damn, I should have done that last night.
If it does end up being a random subjob item, those areas are going to be swarming with people and no mobs. :(
Uh oh. You're talking about the items you need to unlock subjobs? I'm in the middle of that quest, and I need a Magicked Skull next.

Ploid 3.0

I don't even know if I want to play to get 95 on dnc and thf. The new abilities seem lame.

I'd be compelled to cap evasion again too, and I have no idea what the limit break is. It's probably something long and annoying.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ZetaEpyon said:
Supposedly just merits, some seal, and a random subjob item.
The uncapping quests really haven't been a hassle in a long time.

Looks like the random item is more random than just SJ items from people on test server. Looks to be similar to the job emotes, and just be a really random item off low level stuff.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So the level cap quest is a big Puella Magi Madoka Magica reference.

Made a contract with Taru to start the quest. Got a Soul Gem key item...

lvl 99 turns us all into magical girls.

B.K.

DrForester said:

What did you wish for?

Ploid 3.0

Got thf to 95. Only Bully is new, I guess the Crit dmg + trait may be new. You can pull with bully and the intimidation works for whoever has hate, not just thf. It's nice to be able to SA with bully from any angle. I wish Bully was on SA timer, it would be very useful then.

creid

Damn, people were really hounding those Ghouls for magicked skulls last night. Hopefully by time I come back to the game the demand will die down.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Least you didnMs get sunsand. That requires people to wait for earth weather.

Got SMN, WHM, and BLM to 95 last nigt. I love abyssea.

DrForester said:

I was lolling at this.

My item was a Dangruff Stone, which was awesome because I still have the ??? marked on my map from when I did some quest with it. Took 5 minutes to uncap.

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, I got the stupid sunsand, so I ended up standing there in Valkurm Dunes for like 30 minutes with about 40 other people waiting for the ??? to pop. I guess it's better than competing with others for a drop from ghouls or something, though.

B.K.

DrForester said:
29,000 more alexandrite pieces.

That would be a good wish. I will never have a Mythic Weapon, even if I get the base weapon from Nyzul. I'd like to know what the hell Square Enix was thinking with those Mythic weapon quests. Those requirements are ridiculous.

pancakesandsex said:
My item was a Dangruff Stone, which was awesome because I still have the ??? marked on my map from when I did some quest with it. Took 5 minutes to uncap.

That was my item too.

Whogie

Magicked Skull for me -.-
I pretty much claimed a room in Gusgen, but it still took about 25 kills for the drop.

Velion

B.K. said:
That would be a good wish. I will never have a Mythic Weapon, even if I get the base weapon from Nyzul. I'd like to know what the hell Square Enix was thinking with those Mythic weapon quests. Those requirements are ridiculous.

That was my item too.
The same thing they were thinking with Relic, and somewhat on the terms of Emp. Timesink = you playing longer = more subs for them.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Well, at first the idea behind Mythic and Relic was different. To get a Relic you needed to pretty much sponsor a Dynamis shell to get your currency. It was a time sink, but mostly a money sink.

The idea behind the Mythic Weapons was to have relic level weapons, but without the money sink. More missions that made it a much bigger time sink, but not the money sink.

Stage 1 you to defeat major bosses in the new Aht Urhgan, do all the assault missions twice. Stage 3 required you to do numrous ZNM fights to get a Pandamonium Warden pop-set, then use that set to get your key item for the final battle for your mythic. A mostly symbolic fight, but not a guaranteed win.

Stage 2 is where the big time sink came from. It required items bought with massive amounts of currency from Nyzul Isle, Salvage, and Einherjar. To get this it required months of Salvage runs, Nyzul Isle runs, and Einherjar (estimates have just the Einherjar stage at 6 months of tier 3 only runs). The Salvage bit was offset because it currency was sellable, and lots of people were doing salvage runs for the salvage equipment Alexandrite was pretty cheap. You were looking at ~30-90 million gil to flat out buy the alexandrite (1,000 - 3,000 a piece with a total of 30,000 needed). Unfortunately, Salvage equipment is now outdated, and no one does salvage, except for alexandrite. This has raised the price so just the alexandrite state is a money sink about the same as an entire relic weapon (current prices on most server come in at around 200-300 million gil if you were to buy all Alexandrite), yet still requires the extra time sink that Mythic weapons have had. You're doubly screwed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom