• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

B.K.

I was hoping to get the Rank 9 Bastok Missions finished tonight, but I don't think I'll be able to. I keep timing out every time I log on.

hgplayer1

Oh great. Where were you guys when I needed help doing those missions?

Currently doing Windy on Hgplayer and doing Bastok on Onindo. Havent logged in for a while so post here if you need help.

hgplayer1 said:

Currently doing Windy on Hgplayer and doing Bastok on Onindo. Havent logged in for a while so post here if you need help.

You guys wanna set aside like thursday nights or something to blow through stuff?

hgplayer1

pancakesandsex said:
You guys wanna set aside like thursday nights or something to blow through stuff?

I think I'm more than half way through on Windy and Bastok but I'll log on tonight and check. I can log in pretty much every night if need be just post something here so I know.

hgplayer1 said:
I think I'm more than half way through on Windy and Bastok but I'll log on tonight and check. I can log in pretty much every night if need be just post something here so I know.

I could do tuesday or thursday nights as a regular mission night pretty regularly if we set a meeting time.

B.K.

hgplayer1 said:

We waited about two weeks for you to see if you wanted to run through Rank 8 and 9 on your mule, but you were never on.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
We waited about two weeks for you to see if you wanted to run through Rank 8 and 9 on your mule, but you were never on.

Yeah skimming back through the thread I see where you mentioned it but that was probably around the time I decided to take a break from XI since there was never anything going on in the LS and I ran out of stuff to solo.

Anyway Ive tried to express the fact that Im always up for anything group related and almost always get a lukewarm response at best from the LS.

If you guys do end up doing those missions post here or send me a message on XBL. I know I have a couple of you on my friends list. Im always logged in to XBL.

B.K.

I think we're going to wait until after the next time Bastok is first in Conquest before changing nations. I know I am. I'm going to wait until I can get the Anketon. If I'm going to lose my CP when I change nations, might as well spend it while I can.

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
I think we're going to wait until after the next time Bastok is first in Conquest before changing nations. I know I am. I'm going to wait until I can get the Anketon. If I'm going to lose my CP when I change nations, might as well spend it while I can.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Immigration_NPC

If you return to a nation, you get your previous Rank and Conquest Points (as earned under that nation) back.

also this means you can help me finish Bastok missions?

hgplayer1

B.K. said:
What missions do you have left?

just logged in to check and I am on 8-1 and Ive already done the fight I just need to go click the last ??? and get the CS. I think I died on the way to do that and just homepointed and logged for some reason.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
So fair warning if any of you are using Click and Buy. Abandon ship and just go to buying crysta. I know it sucks since you can't buy in specific monthly amounts, but just do it.

C&B had an error with my card, and FFXI got a charge back. My access to FFXI wasn't just cut off, my entire Square Enix account was terminated. I have to now wait for C&B and SE to play phone tag before I will get it unlocked. They can't even just unlock my access to my account settings to allow me to change my payment method.

B.K.

I won't be playing for a few days. I tried to get on my PC tonight and my monitor is dead. I'm using my laptop now and it doesn't have XI installed and the install and update process is too long for me to install it.

Ploid 3.0

DrForester said:
So fair warning if any of you are using Click and Buy. Abandon ship and just go to buying crysta. I know it sucks since you can't buy in specific monthly amounts, but just do it.

C&B had an error with my card, and FFXI got a charge back. My access to FFXI wasn't just cut off, my entire Square Enix account was terminated. I have to now wait for C&B and SE to play phone tag before I will get it unlocked. They can't even just unlock my access to my account settings to allow me to change my payment method.

SE screwed up with this account stuff big time. If they never changed the way you pay I would have at least let my account stayed active while they soaked up free money.

The whole SE service gave me a good reason to bail out.

ZetaEpyon

But... they did end up letting you keep the same billing method until they implement the additional payment options for the Square Enix accounts (direct credit card and specific amount of Crysta). Unless you switched to the SE account before they announced that, I guess.

Personally I've had no problems with using Crysta, though, and it's actually sort of nice that I can just let my account get disabled by not adding more Crysta, and then reactivate it immediately whenever I want to. A far cry better than what you'd have to do with the old system for something like that.

It is crazy knowing how utterly stupid it would be of me to begin anew with this game, but not give a shit. I know it would destroy my scial life, but I'm in one of those rare moods where coming back is always on my mind.

Raoh

Woody Invincible said:
It is crazy knowing how utterly stupid it would be of me to begin anew with this game, but not give a shit. I know it would destroy my scial life, but I'm in one of those rare moods where coming back is always on my mind.

By begin a new do you mean from a level one or below level 20 character with gear and gil carried over from your higher level characters or just continue from where you left of with one of your level 75+ characters?

I know people live for end game play but i prefer those early and mid levels. working that sub job, holding on to that elvaan level 37 gear that most found useless but if your an elvaan with a job that uses magic that level 37 gear will carry you until your late 40's as it spikes your mana which elvaans are lacking in general.

problem with the high end game stuff in most mmo's for me is that its very static, it feels like an online rpg where you just pic a valkerie or a warrior or a healer don't worry about specific builds, its this way or no way your playing with our party/linkshell.

my dark knight was the shiznit with either a thf or war or nin sub up until level 55 when some parties just didnt' think dk's were useful.

or my beastmaster that was rocking with parties dispelling the myth that we kill exp and actually help makes things better until i got to 60 and my solo spots started to dwindle and my party options became laughable (by them not me)

I've returned to ffxi (slowly not fully committed yet) and i'm thinking about ignoring the party set up with my DK and just going back to my beastmaster, building help for missions only again, it may be the only way to truly enjoy the game again for me.

I could start some new jobs but who's playing new jobs? I could die in the tunnels in the dunes and count on Someone reviving me within an hour. now a days.. its warp back or log off.

Ploid 3.0

ZetaEpyon said:
But... they did end up letting you keep the same billing method until they implement the additional payment options for the Square Enix accounts (direct credit card and specific amount of Crysta). Unless you switched to the SE account before they announced that, I guess.

Personally I've had no problems with using Crysta, though, and it's actually sort of nice that I can just let my account get disabled by not adding more Crysta, and then reactivate it immediately whenever I want to. A far cry better than what you'd have to do with the old system for something like that.

Before they extended the forced move to SE service I had already made it up in my mind to cancel. Some of my friends got locked out of ffxi for changing over to crysta and a lot of people just stopped playing. Having to see if I would get locked out by changing, or kicked out (I had no idea when they would force change again) I just went ahead and took the wait out of it and got out.

My friend's event LS pretty much went on pause because of it, and people being locked out after changing over. I think some couldn't even change because of payment methods or maybe information (cd key or something). Changing was made to sound like a pain because of what people told me. Some had no problem with it though.

Ploid 3.0 said:
Before they extended the forced move to SE service I had already made it up in my mind to cancel. Some of my friends got locked out of ffxi for changing over to crysta and a lot of people just stopped playing. Having to see if I would get locked out by changing, or kicked out (I had no idea when they would force change again) I just went ahead and took the wait out of it and got out.

My friend's event LS pretty much went on pause because of it, and people being locked out after changing over. I think some couldn't even change because of payment methods or maybe information (cd key or something). Changing was made to sound like a pain because of what people told me. Some had no problem with it though.

You don't have to use crysta at all. In fact, it's a waste of money to do so. Worst trouble I've had is my account was canceled for about 10 hours last month because my bank is retarded and wouldn't let the click and buy transaction (which had gone through multiple times prior) complete. Apparently they are EU based and the charge got flagged. I simply had to call my bank, get the charge let through, and re-enable recurring payment via my SE account. I had more trouble with my bank than I did with SE and click and buy.

ZetaEpyon

I just use PayPal to get Crysta via UltimatePay (PlaySpan). I think all of the problems that I've heard are people using ClickAndBuy for either the direct payment, or to buy Crysta. I had originally set it up for CnB back in the day for XIV (hah), but all the horror stories swayed me in the direction of Crysta via Paypal.

Also, not worried about the "waste" of money, since that will be worked out when they add the exact Crysta amount option.

ZetaEpyon said:
I just use PayPal to get Crysta via UltimatePay (PlaySpan). I think all of the problems that I've heard are people using ClickAndBuy for either the direct payment, or to buy Crysta. I had originally set it up for CnB back in the day for XIV (hah), but all the horror stories swayed me in the direction of Crysta via Paypal.

Also, not worried about the "waste" of money, since that will be worked out when they add the exact Crysta amount option.

I have an aversion to ridiculous point buying scams. I'm glad I don't have an xbox.

I found most of the horror stories were due to people signing up for click and buy in the wrong way, trying to use it as a money service to carry a balance (I believe if you were to use C&B to buy crysta you would have to do this? I'm not sure), not as a direct payment middle man.

Basically crysta is an extra unnecessary step unless you are 12 and don't credit card, or need to use "subscription cards" which were previously not an option, because your CC of choice is not accepted. They just did a really terrible job at conveying this.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
pancakesandsex said:
I have an aversion to ridiculous point buying scams. I'm glad I don't have an xbox.

I've saved hundreds of dollars because of MS points.
A good chunk of the ones I bought were 50% off during the Circuit City half-off accessory sale, or 50% off when Circuit City went out of business.
Almost all of the rest were bought for 25-40% off.

Bilix

Payment method sure beats the previous method of having to buy a 360 copy of the game to bypass the Verified by VISA crap they introduced. That was stupid.

So are the limit break quests supposed to be unforgiving and difficult or am I overlooking something? I've been attempting to gather the materials needed to break Lvl 50 but am required to venture into areas with monsters MUCH higher than 50. It's made me stop playing proper and just focus on growing Vomp Carrots to raise a Chocobo.

michaeltraps said:
So are the limit break quests supposed to be unforgiving and difficult or am I overlooking something? I've been attempting to gather the materials needed to break Lvl 50 but am required to venture into areas with monsters MUCH higher than 50. It's made me stop playing proper and just focus on growing Vomp Carrots to raise a Chocobo.

You will not be fighting on most of the quests. Have a high level player help you with the ones that require killing high level mobs. The rest can be soloed (though it may be nerve wracking) by subbing a mage job or bringing sneak and invis items. It's a good experience though.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
michaeltraps said:

Limit break quests were made with the idea of a party of people working together to complete them. Which was fine for maybe the first year of the game. SE has just never gone back to rework them.

Shouta said:
If you need help with that and are on Sylph, we can help you get them.
On Odin unfortunately, thank you though.

pancakesandsex said:
You will not be fighting on most of the quests. Have a high level player help you with the ones that require killing high level mobs. The rest can be soloed (though it may be nerve wracking) by subbing a mage job or bringing sneak and invis items. It's a good experience though.
Don't you typically have to kill a monster to drop the actual item though? I've experienced a sea of high level monsters with no sign of the monster I need in sight. I might have to just brave it and dive into the belly of the beast.

DrForester said:
Limit break quests were made with the idea of a party of people working together to complete them. Which was fine for maybe the first year of the game. SE has just never gone back to rework them.
Yeah, this actually surprised me. From what I've heard/read, SE has gone back and made a lot of initial content soloable but it seems to stop here. Odd that they wouldn't continue tweaking though.

michaeltraps said:
On Odin unfortunately, thank you though.

Don't you typically have to kill a monster to drop the actual item though? I've experienced a sea of high level monsters with no sign of the monster I need in sight. I might have to just brave it and dive into the belly of the beast.

Yeah, this actually surprised me. From what I've heard/read, SE has gone back and made a lot of initial content soloable but it seems to stop here. Odd that they wouldn't continue tweaking though.

Only like one of them requires monster kills.

Emitan

Do I want to play this game? I've always wanted to and I've been looking for an MMO to play before SWTOR comes out. It's always sounded pretty fun but I'm not sure if its worth it now. Do lots of people still play?

EDIT: Ah, what the hell. What a dumb question to ask. Bought it and I'm downloading it now.

Billychu said:
Do I want to play this game? I've always wanted to and I've been looking for an MMO to play before SWTOR comes out. It's always sounded pretty fun but I'm not sure if its worth it now. Do lots of people still play?

EDIT: Ah, what the hell. What a dumb question to ask. Bought it and I'm downloading it now.

Lol.

If this is your first time playing:

-Get a gamepad, logitech pads work well in directinput mode, 360 pads will work but with shoulder trigger button issues.
-Learn to use macros, there is some basic data on the wikia wiki
-Do the new player tutorial in full, it will learn you the ropes, and how not to be brutally murdered by bunnies and sheep.

Gravijah

Billychu said:

hope you're having fun with that installation!

Emitan

Gravijah said:
hope you're having fun with that installation!
Only took me 30 minutes to figure out how to login! And only 9 hours of updates left!

:/

I have a 360 pad, a Dualshock 2 with a USB adaptor, a Dualshock 3, and a Classic Controller Pro so I'm set on the controller front

Billychu said:
Only took me 30 minutes to figure out how to login! And only 9 hours of updates left!

:/

I have a 360 pad, a Dualshock 2 with a USB adaptor, a Dualshock 3, and a Classic Controller Pro so I'm set on the controller front

I would recommend trying to get the DS2 up and running. The game is not designed for triggers.

Onemic

Question, FFXIV or FFXI? I've always wanted to play FFXI, but the first time I tried it, it looked as if the game wasn't even made for PC's. No WASD controls, and the interface seemed quite archaic in comparison to most other MMO's, has this changed at all?

Emitan

Loto said:
Has controller support. You set it up in FFXI config I think
Cool. I'm too afraid to touch my computer until the patching is done so I'll try that later.

Oh no, which class to pick?

Picked Thief for now

Foffy

Banned
Hey all. I want to make my newbiness clear to all before I ask anything: I have never played an MMO before. I've always been against paying full price for a game and then a monthly fee on top of that. Clearly, that doesn't apply to FFXI because the game can be found for $20, and after hearing of the promises planned for FFXIV, I figure I should give the earliest mainline FF game I never played a chance with me. I've often ignored it precisely because it's an MMO.

Now, what I want to ask about are very simple questions, so please try not to laugh at me as if I'm from the fucking stone age when it comes to this genre. The first is when it comes to billing, can I have it set up that I have to pay before I can play? For example, I don't want to pay for three months, but for just one full month. Is there a way I can do that with FFXI? I also don't want auto-renewel, as I'd be using my dads credit card and I want to assure him in advance as to what will be charged on his card (which I'd be paying for, obviously). He doesn't like surprise fees, even when his credit card company made a hilarious error that he knew he would never, ever make.

The second is when it comes to plot and expansions. I assume by jumping into the gate this late I have a lot of content to be exploring through. If I bought a new copy of the game that came with these extras, would I have an option of choosing what to start with? For example, for Grand Theft Auto IV, you have an option of playing the core game, or the downloadabale content episodes. Is FFXI structured in such a fashion, or is it all in one whole package? I'm only curious because I worry I may access something in an expansion pack way far in advance of what I should actually be doing if I go off of the suggested path.

My third question is when it comes to content and quests. I'm not a guy who loves to max out everything, but I am a sucker for optional content in RPGs. What types of sidequests does the game have? I assume it has strong bosses for sure, but are some of them just found in the game world, and not listed as a quest to hunt? I'd like to know so that I know in advance if I could just look up quests to get all of the major side materials down, or should I explore about.

My final question is related to the latest version of the game. What's the most updated version of the game I could buy? I know Steam has an Abyssea Edition, so is that the newest version of the game? What isn't included in that edition that Square-Enix charges you for? Is there a newer one I could get?

Sorry if any of these questions beem me in a light of ignorance, but I feel like I wouldn't mind trying an MMO. It also doesn't help FFXI is the only main game in the series (next to XIV) that I have never played, so it should be fresh to someone like me. It's probably a more involved world to get into than XIV is at present.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
First thing I would say, is that if FFXIV interests you, you might as well get in on the ground floor there. FFXI has more years behind it than in front of it. It's a great game, certainly better than FFXIV, but to start of completely fresh, you might be better off just going to FFXIV. It's a completely different type of game, FFXI won't teach you things to know for FFXIV.

Foffy said:
Hey all. I want to make my newbiness clear to all before I ask anything: I have never played an MMO before. I've always been against paying full price for a game and then a monthly fee on top of that. Clearly, that doesn't apply to FFXI because the game can be found for $20, and after hearing of the promises planned for FFXIV, I figure I should give the earliest mainline FF game I never played a chance with me. I've often ignored it precisely because it's an MMO.

Now, what I want to ask about are very simple questions, so please try not to laugh at me as if I'm from the fucking stone age when it comes to this genre. The first is when it comes to billing, can I have it set up that I have to pay before I can play? For example, I don't want to pay for three months, but for just one full month. Is there a way I can do that with FFXI? I also don't want auto-renewel, as I'd be using my dads credit card and I want to assure him in advance as to what will be charged on his card (which I'd be paying for, obviously). He doesn't like surprise fees, even when his credit card company made a hilarious error that he knew he would never, ever make.

You can set up your account to use the SE "money" called "Crysta". While you can not buy in specific amounts, you can buy aprox. enough to last you three months. Then buy more if you want. Just make sure to use paypal, or the pre-paid cards they use. Click and Buy sucks.

The second is when it comes to plot and expansions. I assume by jumping into the gate this late I have a lot of content to be exploring through. If I bought a new copy of the game that came with these extras, would I have an option of choosing what to start with? For example, for Grand Theft Auto IV, you have an option of playing the core game, or the downloadabale content episodes. Is FFXI structured in such a fashion, or is it all in one whole package? I'm only curious because I worry I may access something in an expansion pack way far in advance of what I should actually be doing if I go off of the suggested path.

No, while you can access new areas in expansion (except some that are plot related), the stories themselves were really made to be completed as end-game content once you are leveled up. Most of these storyline can be started at lower levels, but quickly move to the point where you need to be 75 or higher.

My third question is when it comes to content and quests. I'm not a guy who loves to max out everything, but I am a sucker for optional content in RPGs. What types of sidequests does the game have? I assume it has strong bosses for sure, but are some of them just found in the game world, and not listed as a quest to hunt? I'd like to know so that I know in advance if I could just look up quests to get all of the major side materials down, or should I explore about.

Yeah, there are tons of enemies, both quest related and wandering around. But most of them will require friends to help fight (protip, join the server GAF is on and join their LS. This game really isn't very fun without people to play with).

My final question is related to the latest version of the game. What's the most updated version of the game I could buy? I know Steam has an Abyssea Edition, so is that the newest version of the game? What isn't included in that edition that Square-Enix charges you for? Is there a newer one I could get?

The Abyssea edition has everything. Unless I'm missing something everything is there. The 4 expansions, the 3 mini-expansions, and the 3 Abyssea expansions.

Foffy

Banned
Thanks for the response! I figure I'll hold back on FFXIV until 2.0. The game is essentially getting a reboot at that point, and it's offering the features that swayed me into trying the online FF games. Besides, people said FFXII was essentially an offline MMO, and I loved XII. If XI is anything like that, I'd be a happy camper.

What server does GAF roam on? And what is LS? Lamenting Solodom? :p

ZetaEpyon

Foffy said:
Thanks for the response! I figure I'll hold back on FFXIV until 2.0. The game is essentially getting a reboot at that point, and it's offering the features that swayed me into trying the online FF games. Besides, people said FFXII was essentially an offline MMO, and I loved XII. If XI is anything like that, I'd be a happy camper.

What server does GAF roam on? And what is LS? Lamenting Solodom? :p

We're on Sylph. LS = Linkshell, XI's guild equivalent. Send myself or any of the other sackholders a message and we can get you a pearl (how you join it) when you get in game. The GAF LS tends to be on and off in terms of activity -- right now it's on a bit of a downswing, but there are still usually a few people on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom