• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moobabe

Just resubbed to this - I'm on Fenrir. SO much has changed it's insane - I'm level 30 RDM after like 10 hours, and apparently that's slow!

Yuripaw

Banned
I miss this game so much, but I just feel like I can't fit it into my daily routine at the moment still. Plus with all the changes that have happened, I'd probably be lost. I just got another xbox 360 recently though, and I'm still really tempted to reinstall it.

Bilix

I wouldn't recommend re-subbing to anyone unless you know a group of people willing to help you out. If you don't, it'll be next to impossible to get anywhere in the game.

Seigyoku is getting in-game hitched guys! She doesn't have an account because she's THAT WAY, so I'm posting by request.

Location: the west beach of Purgonorgo Isle in Bibiki Bay on Sunday, March 25 at 8:00 PM EST

If you haven't deactivated YOU ARE ALL INVITED and the bride says "not EVERYTHING is doom and gloom lol"

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I really hate voidwatch.

Last night I get a Toci's Harness from Pil, and don't have a single job to use it with. Yet I have LS mates who have done dozens of these without one.

Cmagus

How is this game for new players?I am done with FFXIV but I would like an MMO to keep playing. I was thinking this weekend of possibly starting it up but I was wondering is at this point it would be worth it or is it pretty dead for low end?

Allard

How is this game for new players?I am done with FFXIV but I would like an MMO to keep playing. I was thinking this weekend of possibly starting it up but I was wondering is at this point it would be worth it or is it pretty dead for low end?

If you have patience and can find some people willing to help you on some key areas (Limit Break Quests) its very possible to solo to cap now a days. But the game is still very much a social game so make sure you join a server/community that is willing to give you an ls so you can get help in those key areas. There is soooo much content in the lower levels that people used to do in groups that you can solo at the right level these days, not to mention a lot of exploring and mission stuff you need to do just to gain access to some zones so if you are a newb and can get into a social linkshell (not necessarily there for end game stuff) there shouldn't be anything you can't do. Having said that though whenever I want to start playing FFXI I always activate both my accounts, two boxing in this game reaps a lot of benefits as the current low end is tuned to 2-3 person parties unless you are doing abyssea (And even then low manning abyssea is awesome) as the auto-attack/long recast nature of the combat makes it just slow enough where you can competently play on two characters at once. Speaking of which make sure you activate abyssea when you get lvl 30 on a job just so you start building up the traverse stones even if you don't use them right away.

Also check out various FFXI sites for guides and wiki's. There is so much content that you will likely 'need' on your career playing early on that it might get overwhelming. Specifically sub job quest at lvl 18, job quests at lvl 30, nation missions (For longer conquest, and eventually airship access although most people just use abyssea warps or outpost warps, but outpost warps too need to be gained through a quest that takes you to each outpost, and only when your nation 'owns' the territory), there is choco quest at lvl 20 which can take a while, you also need to build city reputation so you can do other higher 'rep' quests (Gob Bags being one of them) etc.

Basically early on there is so much content you need to catch up on that basically everyone else has done that it is daunting and you likely won't receive that much help to get them done because of that so friends really help. essentially if you don't have friends early on you can feel pretty lonesome in this big world, there is never any lack of stuff to do though, just a lot of stuff that is infinitely easier to do when you have played as long as some people have in this game.

tldr; find friends willing to help and talk to who can guide you on what you should do next, or you might be in for a fun but very frustrating experience. Almost no one parties in the lower levels unless in trio parties or less because most would rather get EXP in abyssea. So in a way, yes the lower levels are dead from a social stand point, but there is so much you can do on your own now a days with the right level that there should be no point where you directly hit a wall if no one is around to help (Unless its limit break quests... which limit your growth till you complete them and most can't be soloed at the limit level ><, although I think they were talking about changing them to be soloed but I don't think its happened yet).

Azuran

Banned
Is CoP hard to complete these days? I just don't want to continue playing BLU without having access to Sea and all of its rewards and spells. I'm planning on duo or trio that thing with a couple of friends at 70-75. I was looking at the missions on the wiki, and some of them look really daunting. Just wondering if they're a lot more manageable with the cap removed.

My main jobs are WHM, RDM, and BLU. Are those fine or should I level something else as well to make my life easier for CoP?

Who's still playing? My friends and I were nostalgia circle-jerking about our times with the game the other night and it made me pine for the days of old.

I've been out of the loop for far too long though, I don't know if I can come back and keep up with all the new shit. After the first Abyssea expansion it just became too much for me to absorb.

Is CoP hard to complete these days? I just don't want to continue playing BLU without having access to Sea and all of its rewards and spells. I'm planning on duo or trio that thing with a couple of friends at 70-75. I was looking at the missions on the wiki, and some of them look really daunting. Just wondering if they're a lot more manageable with the cap removed.

My main jobs are WHM, RDM, and BLU. Are those fine or should I level something else as well to make my life easier for CoP?

You'll be fine. Bring a DD and a whm or something and be smart about status effects and buffs/debuffs and you'll be fine.

jae

Shame the wedding didn't take place a week later, everyone could have teleported to the island.

Finally got my Toci's tonight. 1/254

Allard

Vanafest 2012 site updated over the weekend.

http://www.playonline.com/ff11/event/vanafest2012/

Translation courtesy of Spira over on Bluegartr

2 day event at Pacifico Yokohama

stage events include..
Talk session with current devs, talk with past devs, mini concert & live, various contests, quiz, real mog bonanza, other stuff and a surprise..
(for both days)

floor events include..
live quest, vanadiel cafe, picture taking corner, testing out new battlefields, capsule toys, goods, and so on..

Even though it showed recently in game I really have to comment how much I love the 10 year anniversary logo. <3 the goblins (Even when you destroyed me as a tank with your damn bombs!)

XenoRaven

Anyone still playing this? On Siren server hopefully!?

I just got back into it and I'm enjoying it, but I have no idea what I'm doing.

Coldsnap

After all these years this game still looks so cool and unique. I miss this game more than any other game. I really miss my character but I left with 300million gil and just about paid for my first few semesters of college with the gil.

XenoRaven

After all these years this game still looks so cool and unique. I miss this game more than any other game. I really miss my character but I left with 300million gil and just about paid for my first few semesters of college with the gil.
Man I wish I knew how to make that much money.

How many servers are still active? What's the main reason they don't consolidate them more? Wouldn't more players be a benefit to everyone? Or would it screw the economy up more and drive active players away?

Bilix

Man I wish I knew how to make that much money.

How many servers are still active? What's the main reason they don't consolidate them more? Wouldn't more players be a benefit to everyone? Or would it screw the economy up more and drive active players away?

They actually merged a bunch of servers a little over two years ago. Not sure if merging further would solve any problems. The world is still going to be empty except for end game stuff. There would be a bigger pool of people to play with, but more people to compete with.

Most of the GAFers that still play are on the Sylph server. There's only about a handful of us that are active so it's really not worth transferring a character over here. We don't have an active GAF linkshell anymore.

Also, it's easy to get lost on what to do in the game right now. I don't think there's a simple guide on what you should be doing that's up to date. What's your character's current state?

Darryl

Banned
was having some hardcore nostalgia for this game, and managed to track down a photobucket i made a long time ago. judging from the dates at the bottom, this was back in 2005.

some funny memories of low level NM camping and teaming up with gilsellers. i have such fond memories of NM camping. i'm pretty sure that i've killed all of them, even the more pointless ones.

anyone else have any picture galleries of old XI?

Gromph

This tag is currently undergoing scheduled maintenance...
Staff Member
So nostalgia here in tokyo...

wMnQY.jpg

Coldsnap

was having some hardcore nostalgia for this game, and managed to track down a photobucket i made a long time ago. judging from the dates at the bottom, this was back in 2005.

some funny memories of low level NM camping and teaming up with gilsellers. i have such fond memories of NM camping. i'm pretty sure that i've killed all of them, even the more pointless ones.

Cool, thanks for posting this.

Kandinsky

I should have some somewhere, I'm afraid of looking for them tho, I dont want to come back to the game!.

Darryl

Banned
i wonder if they're gonna announce a rollback server at vana'fest. it would make an appropriate 10th anniversary announcement. if they do, i'm all in.

Bilix

Well I wanted to play Ninja, but it's expensive. My highest character is a 33 THF. I might just stick with that.

Ok. Smart thing to do first is to start off Abyssea with a lvl 30+ character. Follow the first few steps on the Getting Started section here: http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Category:Abyssea#How_to_Get_Started

Your main objective is to get to the point where more Traverser Stones will be produced for you. You'll eventually want to unlock all of the maws eventually (You can teleport to the maws from any major city, making traveling around the world a bit easier), but it's not crucial for now.

Next, you're gonna want to level up. Gone are the days of exp parties in various zones of the world. You now have 2 options:

Gusgen Mines | Late 10s early 20s - early 30s level range -- You'll pick page one in the Grounds Tome and kill a whole lot of skeletons.

Crawler's Nest | Early 30s - 75 level range -- Pick page one again, you'll be running in a loop killing bees and crawlers for a very long period of your life. After 50 the exp gets slow, if you can find another means of acquiring exp, I'd do that.

For both of these, all you need to do is travel to the zone and throw up your seeking party flag. You'll be invited to an alliance and kill things. You may want to search the area beforehand to see if there's anyone actually there partying up.

Once you're 75, it's time to level in abyssea! Good thing we were stocking up on Traverser Stones while we leveled so we can get right to it. Plant yourself at Port Jeuno and look for exp party shouts. You may want to unlock all the abyssea zones before you do this so that you can travel to them instantly. Once you do that, you'll be 99 in no time! Then you can start on getting AF3, but we'll hold off on that for now.

XenoRaven

Thanks Bilix. I'll try that.

I have a technical question. When I played THF a long time ago, I remember being able to turn off auto-attack temporarily, so I could SATA and time a Weapon Skill to get a Skillchain without attacking prematurely. But I forgot how to do it. How would I go about doing that without disengaging completely?

Kyudo

Neo Member

I have a technical question. When I played THF a long time ago, I remember being able to turn off auto-attack temporarily, so I could SATA and time a Weapon Skill to get a Skillchain without attacking prematurely. But I forgot how to do it. How would I go about doing that without disengaging completely?

Having your back turned to the mob will make it so u cant auto attack if i remember correctly. I always disengage so i cant remember :/

Darryl

Banned

i've played THF for awhile and the only way i've been able to do it was just unlock and turn, although that makes it hard to time a weapon skill.

What has been said above about unlocking the camera and turning is the only thing you can do. There is no way to stop autoattack otherwise.

There is a "delay" on job abilities, which gives you enough time to hit several macros without an attack round going off. Are you trying to land SATA + WS? just approach the mob normally, get off a normal attack round THEN pop your JA's and ws (assuming you're in a part).

If you're solo, and the mob isn't a sound based mob, you should be able to pop SA while disengaged, get into position, engage and hit your ws macro before the first round goes off.

Bilix

Kind of crazy that they would ever allow this. It's almost as if Square Enix aren't living under a rock when it comes to designing MMOs. I can't wait to see what kind of flexibility we'll have in regards to modifying it though. My hopes is that it will be better than running Windower.

Kokonoe

Banned
I decided to stop playing a few days ago as the time consumption vs little rewards of this game is truly a waste of time. I am surprised they're modifying the interface finally though, but it is rather late as has been mentioned.

Allard

So apparently the Vanafest site updated today and they formally announced it for the US audience including video and 'tweets' of the content plus other contests. The event item is the first time I ever felt realistically jealous of our Japanese brethren. Its a full mog suit and it looks unbelievably cute on a Tarutaru. Hopefully the twitter contests this year will make it possible to get those suits because damn I'd log back onto FFXI just to get one, and I haven't done so in like 8 months lol.

Sofo

Is it okay to post your own fanart in this thread? I played a ton of FFXI, but quit around september 2010. Lately me and my boyfriend have wanted to get back to it, and we might do so this summer. I'm thrilled! Anyway, this is my character, named Tarusofo (hence my username). Hope you guys don't mind!

sofo_from_ffxi_by_ietes-d4y9u1a.jpg

XenoRaven

So I'm not very well-versed in this game. My friend is more knowledgeable, but doesn't know everything. This is important background for what happened to us yesterday. We were riding through Jugner forest when I spot this little guy named "Sappy Sycamore." My friend is like "Hey that's an NM, let's kill it." He was hoping to get a drop because I'm a 42 THF. He's a 65 BLM. We have no idea what this thing's level is or how much HP it has, etc. So we decide that he should stand behind it, and I should SATA it. I'm thinking this will nearly incapacitate poor Sappy. It did 232, which seemed to barely make a dent in his health. I'm thinking "Uh oh." So it starts attacking my friend, who is casting Flare on it. I'm watching his HP drain while I can do nothing about it. He gets Flare off which takes like half his HP, then my friend somehow accidentally casts Cure II on the mob instead of himself. Long story short, Sappy Sycamore killed my friend, I hit Flee and ran halfway across Jugner to get away lol.

He had Reraise on, and he got back up, prepped himself this time, and actually killed it (after using a 2-hour and with a little help from a passing Sprite), but we just thought it was funny that his level 65 mage was killed by a mob named "Sappy Sycamore" in Jugner of all places. It didn't help that ol' Sappy isn't a NM, but is a hunt monster. No drop for us!

Anyway, quick question. I forgot how to recharge my Raising Earring. How do I do that?

Allard

So I'm not very well-versed in this game. My friend is more knowledgeable, but doesn't know everything. This is important background for what happened to us yesterday. We were riding through Jugner forest when I spot this little guy named "Sappy Sycamore." My friend is like "Hey that's an NM, let's kill it." He was hoping to get a drop because I'm a 42 THF. He's a 65 BLM. We have no idea what this thing's level is or how much HP it has, etc. So we decide that he should stand behind it, and I should SATA it. I'm thinking this will nearly incapacitate poor Sappy. It did 232, which seemed to barely make a dent in his health. I'm thinking "Uh oh." So it starts attacking my friend, who is casting Flare on it. I'm watching his HP drain while I can do nothing about it. He gets Flare off which takes like half his HP, then my friend somehow accidentally casts Cure II on the mob instead of himself. Long story short, Sappy Sycamore killed my friend, I hit Flee and ran halfway across Jugner to get away lol.

He had Reraise on, and he got back up, prepped himself this time, and actually killed it (after using a 2-hour and with a little help from a passing Sprite), but we just thought it was funny that his level 65 mage was killed by a mob named "Sappy Sycamore" in Jugner of all places. It didn't help that ol' Sappy isn't a NM, but is a hunt monster. No drop for us!

Anyway, quick question. I forgot how to recharge my Raising Earring. How do I do that?

I was unaware it was possible to recharge those, my assumption is those are one off items that you are to dispose of once the charges are used up since its supposed to be only for new adventurers and you are supposed to get the crafted versions later on if you need reraise but don't have WHM or SCH lvled up. Sappy Sycamore is an NM though, a hunt NM but an NM none the less, drops an earring called seeker earring which gives accuracy +1 when you are in party with another dragoon. Its a lvl 40 item so my guess is the NM is around lvl 40 but like all NM's they are far more powerful then their level would have you believe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom