• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LowParry

I think this is the only MMO that I recall where playing on the numpad is best. I may have a couple people on board but it looks like I may be going in solo.

It should be noted there is also a backloggery linkshell on sylph a bunch of us are a part of. If you have a backloggery account you can be pearled. (Make one, it's semi active and casual and it means we don't all have to carry around another linkpearl oh god my inventory why)

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
How is the game on the 360? I might be able to play it well on PC but I'm not entirely sure. I got bad frame rate issues in WoW capital cities and raids.

Depends how much you're going to play. If you're playing casually, you'll be fine. The PC version offers far more customization due to widower, a third party tool that enhances the interface. e.g. You can have a timer overlay on your spells like haste and protect to know how long till they wear off. You can also have longer macros, which is almost a requirement with how the gear is designed in this game.

Sophia

No. It says 10 hours, but the timer will go down a lot faster. I bet at most you might have 2 hours, maybe 3.

Yeah I know. I'm being sarcastic and overly dramatic for the sake of being sarcastic and overly dramatic. That, and the realization that I'm actually going to play this again. :p

For what it's worth, the timer has actually gone up.

I'm still undecided between Sylph and Asura...

EDIT: For what it's worth, the timer has actually gone up. Again. ;p

Seigyoku

It should be noted there is also a backloggery linkshell on sylph a bunch of us are a part of. If you have a backloggery account you can be pearled. (Make one, it's semi active and casual and it means we don't all have to carry around another linkpearl oh god my inventory why)

What he said. Show me your account and I'll pearl you. There is typically at least ONE person on that shell at all times. I cannot guarantee they are awake lol. It's not an endgamey group at all, they like fireworks and dancing and we're happy to run over to where you are and give you a hand. The core group is currently trying to run through storylines. (If we don't get Apocalypse Nigh done in the next two weeks, I'm gonna strangle someone.)

Sophia

The updating after first installing the game is horrible. It took me about half a day to update the last time I installed the game.

I'm at 25% after what amounts to an hour. This is still better than the updating I did back in 2004...

Have I ever said that PlayOnline sucks? Because it bears repeating. Several times.

B-Dex

Welp.. made a Galka anyways :p. At this point if I feel extremely gimped I can always roll a new char for mage type classes.

Welp.. made a Galka anyways :p. At this point if I feel extremely gimped I can always roll a new char for mage type classes.

It's not really a "roll a new character" type of game. It just doesn't lend itself to that type of gameplay. You won't have a pronounced difference until endgame, and even then it's nothing that can't be overcome via merits and intelligent gearing.

B-Dex

What he said. Show me your account and I'll pearl you. There is typically at least ONE person on that shell at all times. I cannot guarantee they are awake lol. It's not an endgamey group at all, they like fireworks and dancing and we're happy to run over to where you are and give you a hand. The core group is currently trying to run through storylines. (If we don't get Apocalypse Nigh done in the next two weeks, I'm gonna strangle someone.)

Check my backloggery acc here. Feel free to whisp me in-game or pm me here.

Would love a pearl.

(Taeyang my small galka with Elvis hair in-game... hahaha)

I know pancake. I used to play. So I was not that bothered.

Sophia

Found a torrent with all the update files. It's going at a whooping 1MB a second. 10 Mintue update. Sooo much better than PlayOnline.

I'm interested in starting a recruitment initiative for gaffers who simply want to experience FFXI with a lot of like-minded folks. It seems like there's a resurgence of interest in the game simply from the events that have happened within the last few days. I'm kind of curious to see how many people we can get on one server just playing through the 30-day trial. My brother always expressed interest in the game because me and a real life friend of ours played the game on and off all the time. He finally gave it a shot and got to about lv 30 in the trial, but only over the course of a few nights playing since we took two weeks off for a family wedding. He ended up buying the game (he was on a friend pass trial) and we're still playing once in a while.

Anyways I think it would be fun to just gather as many new people as possible--as well as returning players-and see how far we can get. I think Lv30+ is very reasonable within the 30-day trial period, especially if you get up to 18 people doing Fields of Valor stuff together. I enjoy helping people in the game and we can do missions whenever people meet the requirements. The intro parts of Chains of Promathia could be reachable I think.

As it turns out I'm on Sylph, so I'm wondering if there's any of the old GAF shell members interested in this initiative? I'm not sure how I would go about this. We'd have to make a faq or something guiding new players through the account process and explain a lot, a lot, a lot of things. I think emphasizing story experience would get a lot of people interested as well. I'm pretty much willing to guide and help people with any missions or job quests they might be interested in.

B.K.

I think Lv30+ is very reasonable within the 30-day trial period, especially if you get up to 18 people doing Fields of Valor stuff together.

Level 30? You can get to 99 in that 30 day limit, if you can get enough people to help with Limit Breaks. You could get to 30 in five or six hours.

Boss Man

Galka is the least versatile job in the game. It can't do mage classes at all. Even Taru's can be amazing in DD classes.

Elvan has low, but acceptable MP, and with the INT bonus, does very well at BLM.

Hume, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mithra are going to be the most versatile races.
Elvaan has the lowest INT in the game, and Elvaan BLM is one of (if not the only) race/job combinations that is seen as utterly bad.

Galka can be a very good mage, since MP gear is easy to come by. The HP <-> MP trade off in this game is not an efficient one, but in end-game content (especially Abyssea) it can turn out as a benefit.

Just as Taru DD tend to always be above-average because they've put effort into their inherent weaknesses, Galka mages tend to be the same.

Race really doesn't matter. The only time you'll even notice is in extreme cases, early on, and it's not worth picking anything other than what you want.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Elvaan has the lowest INT in the game, and Elvaan BLM is one of (if not the only) race/job combination that is utterly bad.

Galka can be a very good mage, since MP gear is very easy to come by. The HP <-> MP trade off in this game is not an efficient one, but in end-game content (especially Abyssea) it can turn out as a benefit.

Just as Taru DD tend to always be above-average because they've put effort into their inherent weaknesses, Galka mages tend to be the same.

Race really doesn't matter. The only time you'll even notice is in extreme cases, early on, and it's not worth picking anything other than what you want.

Don't know how I got that backwards, could have sworn Elvan had the highest INT.

Boss Man

Don't know how I got that backwards, could have sworn Elvan had the highest INT.
Don't feel bad, the sheer amount of useless FFXI information that I have stored in the recesses of my mind from playing the game constantly during my formative years is not something that I'm proud of.

It's also worth mentioning that Elvaan is the only race whose casting animation for black magic involves animated clothing, and is therefore much cooler looking than other black mages while casting. I believe it's assumed that SE just never got around to doing this for the other races before the game released.

Seigyoku

Level 30? You can get to 99 in that 30 day limit, if you can get enough people to help with Limit Breaks. You could get to 30 in five or six hours.

They've even just made a bunch of LB quests soloable. Though I've never minded farming up the items for LB1 lol.

Sophia

Found a torrent with all the update files. It's going at a whooping 1MB a second. 10 Mintue update. Sooo much better than PlayOnline.
WRukE.png

Should have just done this in the first place. 40 minutes totally beats out the five hours it was going to take.

Sure, I believe that. Like I said, my brother got to Lv 30 in a few nights. There's a lot of stuff for new people to do though.

Should have just done this in the first place. 40 minutes totally beats out the five hours it was going to take.
Yeah, there was a 1 hour update two weeks ago for everyone. Torrent probably didn't include all of that.

Shouta

Races really don't matter all that much. Only if you're into min/maxing with stats but HP/MP can be overcome with smart gearing so go with whatever you want to look at for the next several thousand hours.

Allard

O_O

Am I seeing this right? Do you really get 200+ Experience for a Decent Challenge mob now? Holy shit.

They doubled EXP across the board a year or two ago, on top of that they tripled Campaign EXP and Besieged EXP, this was all done to give 'alternative' exp format to Abyssea which can be even more absurd then that. You can get 600 EXP a kill at a clip of 1 mob killed every 5 seconds when everything is setup properly in abyssea, its often done in an alliance to make mobs die faster plus more people to open the chests. When you have the double EXP plus the rotating FoV/GoV mini quests you get EXP at such an accelerated rate you can competently and casually level up a class solo or in a duo with little issue now. lvl 1-50 just flies by even in solo, just constantly chain kill easy prey mobs setup through GoV or FoV.

Sophia

So who's all on Sylph? I started a character (Sophira) but Bastok seems so empty now :(

There a GAF linkshell someone can invite me to?

They doubled EXP across the board a year or two ago, on top of that they tripled Campaign EXP and Besieged EXP, this was all done to give 'alternative' exp format to Abyssea which can be even more absurd then that. You can get 600 EXP a kill at a clip of 1 mob killed every 5 seconds when everything is setup properly in abyssea, its often done in an alliance to make mobs die faster plus more people to open the chests. When you have the double EXP plus the rotating FoV/GoV mini quests you get EXP at such an accelerated rate you can competently and casually level up a class solo or in a duo with little issue now. lvl 1-50 just flies by even in solo, just constantly chain kill easy prey mobs setup through GoV or FoV.

Wow that's great. I'm glad for all the improvements the game has gotten.

Does the key tie into steam? Please say it is so.

I'm not really sure how it works on Steam. Since you still have to go through Playonline to boot the game, I would imagine that unlike most games on Steam, the download is actually an installer. My brother had the game pre-installed from my game discs. He bought the game from the official SE site and just registered the keys in his SE account.

The old gaf ls on sylph is kinda dead at the moment, I don't see it not being dead unless shouta and sacan come back. I can happily pearl people, but there is some actual activity over at the backloggery shell, and I'd recommend trying to hop on there, seigyoku can pearl people, just make a backloggery account first and then tell sei.

Does the key tie into steam? Please say it is so.

you register the key on your SE account. steam loads the game and it SHOULD see that you have Abyssea properly registered. i havent done it yet, but @ $10 for the whole setup, ill dive in. unless someone knows how to get the 3 abyssea packs on the cheap.....

Sophia

So where do people go for parties nowadays? Do they still hit up the Dunes at 13 or so?

The old gaf ls on sylph is kinda dead at the moment, I don't see it not being dead unless shouta and sacan come back. I can happily pearl people, but there is some actual activity over at the backloggery shell, and I'd recommend trying to hop on there, seigyoku can pearl people, just make a backloggery account first and then tell sei.

I'll take a pearl, if just in case it does get activity

you register the key on your SE account. steam loads the game and it SHOULD see that you have Abyssea properly registered. i havent done it yet, but @ $10 for the whole setup, ill dive in. unless someone knows how to get the 3 abyssea packs on the cheap.....

Steam has the game + three abyssea packs for $20

ZetaEpyon

Unless you really want it from Steam for some reason, the GamersGate deal will save you $10.

I'm probably going to reactivate tonight (dammit)...

LowParry

I dived right in, but it was essentially free for me. (Diablo 3 money yo!)

Ahhhhhh, yeah. I'd be in the same boat except I forgot to toss that monies into paypal. So I'm stuck with space battle bucks. Maybe I can make a couple extra dollars and get it that way.

B-Dex

I saw you Sophira! Had to log to go do some errands. Will be back on later. Taeyang the tiny Galka. You inspected me in town it was kinda akward.... haha kidding.

Steam has the game + three abyssea packs for $20

My problem is I bought the game during the last steam sale for $5 back in 2010. I got everything except abyssea at that time. So I looking for the add-ons tobe as cheap as possible.

Anyone know if the serial given by gamersgate is individualized? I'd hate to keep the whole code when all I want is the 3 add-ons.

Sophia

I saw you Sophira! Had to log to go do some errands. Will be back on later. Taeyang the tiny Galka. You inspected me in town it was kinda akward.... haha kidding.

=P

Do Japanese players still get offended if you inspect them?

My problem is I bought the game during the last steam sale for $5 back in 2010. I got everything except abyssea at that time.

Anyone know if the serial given by gamersgate is individualized? I'd hate to keep the whole code when all I want is the 3 add-ons.

The steam one was one single code, and I imagine the Gamersgate one is the same, given as the game doesn't really run through Steam at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom