• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Husker86

The entire game?

The pc version is a lot better though, and gives more options for tweaking the annoying things about the interface. The resolution on the ps2 version makes it look like it's a high res ps1 game.
The day my PS2 overheated from playing this game too much and me running out to buy the PC version was the best thing that ever happened to this game for me. Memories....I wish it launched all over again.

Kesagiri

The day my PS2 overheated from playing this game too much and me running out to buy the PC version was the best thing that ever happened to this game for me. Memories....I wish it launched all over again.

Yeah, I'll have to say getting the game running on my awful outdated laptop was even an improvement.

elohel

The entire game?

The pc version is a lot better though, and gives more options for tweaking the annoying things about the interface. The resolution on the ps2 version makes it look like it's a high res ps1 game.

Wait every expansion can be purchased and we can go to all the same zones?

Pejo

After the 10 year anniversary thread i got nostalgic and thought i'd try this out again, might be bringing someone with me too. Probably going to start from scratch since SE's account management requires 103 passwords, a drop of DNA, and the memory of an elephant just to get in to your old stuff. Any gaffers play on a server with some semi-active low level stuff? I realize it's probably not the same game anymore and i doubt i'll catch the magic of the game at NA launch but for 7.99 on amazon download for all the expacs i thought i'd give it a shot again.

Yuripaw

Banned
I signed up again...the 10 year anniversary hit me too. I'm logged in right now, but I'm so depressed. I'm on Sylph, and the StarsOfDestiny LS is completely dead, no one's on it at all. I tried asking around if any LS out there would take on a new member to help me get caught up on post level 75 updates, because I never really played once they raised the cap. Nothing. No one's talking to me in the game. I just wanna get back into it, but I can't do it alone ;_;

I have NO idea what to do now that so much has changed. No idea where the camps for any levels are anymore, or if partys even work the same anymore. I need to level up lower level jobs real bad, since I never did most of my subjobs past 37.

Lhexh

I always hated how people were soo closed off in this game. All of my friends never play anymore as well. One thing you may realize is everyone has their groups and barely step outside of them. Hard to make friends this late in a game where everyone is at arms length. A lot of people run around with their egos as well it sucks.

I haven't been on in ages, but its all about the book exp alliances now from what I was doing last time I was on.

Gusgen Mines early on (ie after the lvl 1-12ish? solo stuff) then Crawler's Nest.

After that I'm not sure cause everyone just leeches in Abyssea lol. But there prolly is a 'proper' place to go.

Husker86

I always hated how people were soo closed off in this game. All of my friends never play anymore as well. One thing you may realize is everyone has their groups and barely step outside of them. Hard to make friends this late in a game where everyone is at arms length. A lot of people run around with their egos as well it sucks.

It wasn't like that at the beginning. I really don't think I'll ever capture that experience again in any other game. It being my first MMO along with a ton of other newbies when I started really made it the perfect game for me and I don't think that will ever be matched. I'm gonna try FFXIV again here soon but have let go of the hope that it will be like starting XI was. I've heard people hardly talk outside of their LS in XIV too, that has me worried.

I sad.

Kokonoe

Banned
I signed up again...the 10 year anniversary hit me too. I'm logged in right now, but I'm so depressed. I'm on Sylph, and the StarsOfDestiny LS is completely dead, no one's on it at all. I tried asking around if any LS out there would take on a new member to help me get caught up on post level 75 updates, because I never really played once they raised the cap. Nothing. No one's talking to me in the game. I just wanna get back into it, but I can't do it alone ;_;

I have NO idea what to do now that so much has changed. No idea where the camps for any levels are anymore, or if partys even work the same anymore. I need to level up lower level jobs real bad, since I never did most of my subjobs past 37.

It's going to be rough without anyone. At this point, it's not really worth it unless you know someone on the server already.

Pejo

I ended up getting back in to my old account, and surprisingly still ran into a group of hardcore players that i was friends with back in the day. Had a ton of fun just doing some duoing with a friend on PUP and he was DNC (5 chaining Toughs as duo, whatwhat).

Duo'd some Dynamis with another friend. I couldn't believe that was real. Once a day and solo/duoable? Crazy. Finally after like 10 years got my first piece of relic too, (BLU Relic hands lol)

Got in on one of the gusgen book parties. Doesn't seem quite optimal but it very much reminded me of early leve parties in FFXIV which is just mindless killing and no strategy. Good fun for a while but eventually got boring.

I made a stupid mistake when i bought the ultimate collection on Amazon, i accidentally entered it as a new account instead of linking it to my current account, so I still don't have all the expacs on my "good" account. Asked SE Support if i could merge the accounts and of course they said "NOPE".

Bottom line is, the game is almost completely different now than when i played, but not in a bad way. The number of options for getting xp now is really awesome. Love the new equipment too. First on the board for me will be getting a level 99 (thinking PUP since its actually pretty fun).

If any other 10th anniverseriers(lol i know its not a word) or GAFfers are on Asura, send me a PM.

notworksafe

I hopped back in for the 10th anniversary as well but I'm on Quetzalcoatl starting over with a friend. The beret you get with the Complete Collection is seriously awesome. That plus the XP ring got me from 1-15 in just a few hours (MNK). It's crazy how fast leveling is now. I even soloed a bunch as well! :O

I'm still around, and so is Chocobro (intermittently). Not sure if you've met Seigyoku and Aurellius. I still keep my pearlsack but there is nobody on the shell anymore really. Sei, Aur and I are sometimes with the backloggery folks on their shell and sometimes on other endgamey shells. Sadly I don't really know any active socials atm. I tend to hang out in my one endgame shell or do pugs for content nowadays.

I'd try poking around in Jeuno for active socials that don't have event schedules and things so you can get caught up. Try asking people in book parties too for socials.

vazel

Banned
Did anyone else get the FFXI anniversary concert email? Is anybody going? Man, I really wanna go. Plus you get an in-game item created specifically for the anniversary.

Japan is getting some nice FFXI anniversary content. I wish all MMOs had a book like this to chronicle all the milestones. I'd import this DVD but it's $60. Youch.

B.K.

During the trailer for Seekers of Adoulin, when "New Jobs" was shown on screen, the crowd went crazy! #FFXI
4 minutes ago
FFXI_EN FINAL FANTASY XI
Announcing FINAL FANTASY XI Seekers of Adoulin the 5th expansion pack coming in 2013! #

Lhexh

Is gaf still active on sylph ? I find myself on this server atm and am in the most non social ls I have ever been in.

I want to reactivate my account, I just have some questions:

I only have the 4 expansions, should I buy the steam version for 20 dlls which includes all the add ons?

If I reactivate my account do I get the 30 days free if I buy the steam version or are the 30 days only available for new accounts?

Thanks Gaf

Shouta

I think the steam version, if you add it to your account, gives you the rest of the expansions but I'm not quite sure.

LowParry

So I was thinking about coming back to playing this. How's the leveling curve with this game? Groups? Etc?

Edit: Oh yeah, and are Dragoons good now? Last I played them they were nerfed/killed off. Something.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
So I was thinking about coming back to playing this. How's the leveling curve with this game? Groups? Etc?

Edit: Oh yeah, and are Dragoons good now? Last I played them they were nerfed/killed off. Something.

Judging by people talking in the recent topics, leveling is now a breeze, in comparison to how it used to be.

If there's a big resurgance in GAF on XI, I'd probably sign back in too.

LogicStep

So what's the difference between the Grand Companies? I'm at the point where I can go with any of them. Should I go with the GC that's in my starting city or does that not matter? I heard that the only difference is the loot but they all have loot for all classes. Also, your chocobos can be pimped up with gear from these GCs, is there anywhere to see the different loot and compare it and see how the chocobos look depending on your GC?

Greymanic

Neo Member
So what's the difference between the Grand Companies? I'm at the point where I can go with any of them. Should I go with the GC that's in my starting city or does that not matter? I heard that the only difference is the loot but they all have loot for all classes. Also, your chocobos can be pimped up with gear from these GCs, is there anywhere to see the different loot and compare it and see how the chocobos look depending on your GC?

Wrong Final Fantasy my friend!

Boss Man

Does it still cost like $30 to switch servers?

Kindasorta considering coming back with my big bad Galka, but he's on Bismarck and I'm pretty sure everyone I know on there is no longer around. Would be cool to play with GAF for once.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
So if I start playing this for the first time this late into the game (still on the fence about it), you'll all accept me and take good care of me right?

:D

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My desktop is dead right now. I'd rather play on 360 than on my netbook, lol.
Does the 360 version still freeze constantly? (more accurately lock up the whole console)
Also, I bought Ultimate Collection on 360 for the pretty packaging even though I was playing on PC. Holy shit at the going rate for that.

B-Dex

My desktop is dead right now. I'd rather play on 360 than on my netbook, lol.
Does the 360 version still freeze constantly? (more accurately lock up the whole console)
Also, I bought Ultimate Collection on 360 for the pretty packaging even though I was playing on PC. Holy shit at the going rate for that.

I know right. Hopefully square releases a new all-in-one package when the xpac drops.

Patching on 360 now...3 hours :(.

I never had any console lock up issues.

Playonline viewer is really sad. Hasn't been touched since 08 on the 360 hahaha. It still advertises 2008 collection and infinite undiscovery :/

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I never had any console lock up issues.

Did you ever do Besieged? I never made it through a single Besieged without a freeze on 360.
Campaign was really bad, too.

mike23

No.

I can't decide Galka or Elvaan? I'm leaning elvaan cause in XIV i made a galka equivalent.

I wouldn't go either. Going Galka basically means you'll struggle in any mp class just for some extra hp which isn't very useful in the grand scheme of things.
Elvaan is pretty bad mp-wise too.

If I were to make a new character, I'd probably go hume. Just because they'll be decent at every job and now that it's easy to have tons of high level jobs, it's important to have a race that can play everything you might want to play without being frustrating.

Back when I first started, people who had a couple level 75 jobs were really hardcore, so you picked the race that played your favorite class best. Now you need a race that can be more versatile, in my opinion.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
No.

I can't decide Galka or Elvaan? I'm leaning elvaan cause in XIV i made a galka equivalent.

Galka is the least versatile job in the game. It can't do mage classes at all. Even Taru's can be amazing in DD classes.

Elvan has low, but acceptable MP, and with the INT bonus, does very well at BLM.

Hume, and to a slightly lesser extent, Mithra are going to be the most versatile races.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
How is the game on the 360? I might be able to play it well on PC but I'm not entirely sure. I got bad frame rate issues in WoW capital cities and raids.

PC is always the way to go. The console versions are lackluster in many ways and don't allow you the freedom to use interface enhancement tools like windower after you realize the limitations of the normal one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom