• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not to mention we should be seeing steam sales going up at some point. I wonder if just waiting will be better or just drop the 20 and dive right in.

If the last three years are of any indication, we should see a sale on the Wednesday of the last week in June. Which is in two days.

Here are a few things I found out about the Steam version:

-Pretty much installs exactly like the disc version, just in your Steam games directory. The game still updates through PlayOnline.

-Keys still need to be registered through the Square Enix account management. If you don't already have a PlayOnline log in, obtaining that is also done through SE account management.

-Not sure how accurate this is but from the info that I've gathered, if you want to run the third party windower with all the nice PC plugins, you have to boot the game out of Steam. Which means you can't use the overlay. Wouldn't be a big deal for me.

So I suppose the only upside to buying on Steam is that they probably offer the fastest bandwidth speed of any DD service out there.

My problem is I bought the game during the last steam sale for $5 back in 2010. I got everything except abyssea at that time. So I looking for the add-ons tobe as cheap as possible.

Anyone know if the serial given by gamersgate is individualized? I'd hate to keep the whole code when all I want is the 3 add-ons.

It's one code. At least you get the Destrier Beret with it.

Sophia

Yeah there's pretty much zero advantage to buying on Steam. I don't even think the overlay is active by default.

I am still in awe at how much experience you get now.

LowParry

I'll do something this week. Haven't been into a MMO for some time and I have that itch. Guild Wars 2 will come eventually. I thought about going back to Rift but FFXI looks like more fun. XIV I'd of like to get into if 2.0 was coming out soon. Meh. I'll probably wait till Wed. to see what happens then go from there.

Edit: Fuck it. You're right. Taking the $10 deal.

LowParry

I know absolutely nothing of Abyssea. Actually, beyond doing the tutorial and missions, I'm not sure where to go. >_>;

What server you on anyway? I'd like to play along with other folks. Just makes it more fun. Also what classes you planning on picking up? I'm thinking of going Scholar at some point. Excitement man. Excitement!

Boss Man

Don't forget that soloing 1-30+ is totally viable now. When I leveled subs and what not, I would usually just solo 15-20 in Konschat/La Theine and then 20-30 next to the Dunes outpost with FoV. Finally 30-37ish in Qufim with FoV.

This is super stress-free, as you can do it on your own time and everything. The only problem is that the most efficient thing to do is spam pages with EP-DC monsters and that keeps your skills down a bit.

I'm sure parties are faster, but soloing isn't the drag it used to be (at least not at those levels).

Sophia

What server you on anyway? I'd like to play along with other folks. Just makes it more fun. Also what classes you planning on picking up? I'm thinking of going Scholar at some point. Excitement man. Excitement!

Sylph. Right now I'm a warrior, but I'll eventually want to go either a tank or healer.

Thanks for that. Is Windower still the tool to use for non full screen play?

It's ideal simply for the plugins. Sorts inventory automatically, displays enemy HP%, displays target distance, increases drawdistance, displays party/alliance TP&MP, displays recasts, etc.

I think it's also the only way to run the game fullscreen without crashing when you alt+tab as as well. It just makes your game looks a little better too

Boss Man

It's ideal simply for the plugins. Sorts inventory automatically, displays enemy HP%, displays target distance, increases drawdistance, displays party/alliance TP&MP, displays recasts, etc.

I think it's also the only way to run the game fullscreen without crashing when you alt+tab as as well. It just makes your game looks a little better too

*final CoP fight*

I have it set so that plugins won't show in screenshots so you won't see them here.
That picture of the final battlefield in CoP is actually a pretty huge spoiler for people who haven't played the game.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
There's a 30 day trial? Is that after you buy the game and all that or can anyone get a free 30 day trial?

All I saw was a 14 day trial.

Sophia

There's a 30 day trial? Is that after you buy the game and all that or can anyone get a free 30 day trial?

All I saw was a 14 day trial.

There's 30 days free if you buy the game now. I wasn't aware of any trial, and was told in another thread there wasn't one.

Kokonoe

Banned
30 Day Trial is only if you purchase the game. Although, I don't suggest trying out the 14 day trial as it's absolutely limited.

Didn't realize the 14 day trial was back, though. It's been disabled for a long time.

I believe the 14 day trial is long gone. The only way to play the 30 day trial without purchasing the game is to get a friend pass from someone. I'm not really sure how those are distributed anymore since boxed copies aren't easy to find anymore.

Edit:nevermind

Boss Man

I'm looking at a 'Vana'Diel Buddy Pass' sitting in my old boxed copy of FFXI: The Vana'Diel Collection right now. I'm not sure if it works, but if anyone is interested I'll definitely share it.

It includes a code to download the game, a code for PlayOnline, and a code for FFXI. Says 30 days free. Maybe I'll post it in the freebie thread.

By the way, I trust that everyone playing on PC is aware of the graphical tweaks available? It's so crazy seeing people who've been playing on PC for a year or two and had no idea that the game could look an entire generation better than what they had it set to.

LowParry

So GamersGate tried to install, and I get a trojan warning. Meh. So where else can I d/l this because that isn't going to work.

B.K.

And to people that are buying the game now, don't forget to equip your Newbie Hat when you start playing. It gives you Regen, Refresh, and Reraise up to level 30. With it and no exp loss until 30, there are no penalties for dying other than being weakened.

So GamersGate tried to install, and I get a trojan warning. Meh. So where else can I d/l this because that isn't going to work.

http://www.gamestop.com/pc/games/final-fantasy-xi-ultimate-collection-abyssea-edition/92937

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004V9QC80/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Tomat

What antivirus software are you using?

The 14 day trial seems legitimate so far. I had to install PlayOnline, Tetra Master, and FFXI. It's updating FFXI now (which I assume will take forever).

Boss Man

I realized it the second I posted it. It's just so pretty to look at.
By the way, I trust that everyone playing on PC is aware of the graphical tweaks available? It's so crazy seeing people who've been playing on PC for a year or two and had no idea that the game could look an entire generation better than what they had it set to.
These things have given me an excuse to post pictures.

Here's the game on a mediocre laptop with a shitty intel graphics card:

Soloing some currency with BST, reeled in 150-200 a day. Was working on relic scythe.
V3A3W.jpg

Blue Mage is easily one of the most fun jobs to play.
8KvcC.jpg

Relic armor is still the best-looking in the game.
lF4Rm.jpg

Helping a lil' Taru Summoner linkshell buddy with something (probably carby mitts).
wFATu.jpg

Solo'd a Caladbolg for my DRK on BST. Was proud of that.
lkDpt.jpg

Damn it this game ages well. Makes me want to come back even more now, shit.

Sophia

Those were one of the first things I did, alongside getting the Windower. Game looks awesome now!

HAD NO IDEA!! please give info.

And to people that are buying the game now, don't forget to equip your Newbie Hat when you start playing. It gives you Regen, Refresh, and Reraise up to level 30. With it and no exp loss until 30, there are no penalties for dying other than being weakened.

thanks for the info.

can anyone answer this: i own the game on steam and just got the abyssea version. right now the steam version is downloading its 10 hours worth of updates. can i just take the files out of the folder and do away with steam once done? i have no need for it to be hogging resources. or should i stop the steam install and do everything from the new download i received?

LowParry

What antivirus software are you using?

The 14 day trial seems legitimate so far. I had to install PlayOnline, Tetra Master, and FFXI. It's updating FFXI now (which I assume will take forever).

I'm using Bitdefender. I have it downloaded. It just won't install and gives me an error.

You have the registration code? I know it's a grey area but most people just torrent the client and the updates after getting the codes. It's weird that Square offers individual expansion code purchases but not the actual downloads. Not like you can even play and register for the game if you don't have the codes.

Tomat

Strange, I keep setting my PlayOnline password so I know exactly what it is, but every time I try to login it says either the ID or password is wrong.

LowParry

You have the registration code? I know it's a grey area but most people just torrent the client and the updates. It's weird that Square offers individual key purchases but not the actual downloads. Not like you can even play and register for the game if you don't have the codes.

Yeah I got codes. I've got the update patching finish, just can't seem to find the client.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Graphics

If you aren't too familiar with this stuff, it's not nearly as scary as it looks. Just follow the directions for the resolution parts and you're going to be looking at a completely different game.

High MIP mapping also makes the game look nice and smooth IMO.

thanks for the info. reading through that stuff makes me want to get a new PC. im running a laptop that got a benchmark score of 2340. i can run the game at an average level. poor fan in my laptop is whirring so loud.

Boss Man

Two more pictures because I have to stealth brag about this one time farming pops in Abyssea:

There were a lot more before people started opening them.
BYOMB.jpg

I believe the list truncates after so many. There were a lot of raptors.
8YqZD.png

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I may be back tonight... We'll see how the process goes.
I'm also a Galka. I'm not even close to new, but after being away for a few years, I might as well be.

Welp.. made a Galka anyways :p. At this point if I feel extremely gimped I can always roll a new char for mage type classes.

Putting time into a second character is a terrible, terrible idea unless you're set on dual-boxing.
It means having to redo shitloads of tedious stuff just to get access to all the areas.

Kokonoe

Banned
Word of Absolute Virtue Advice

Stick with one character. Making an alternative character for multiple classes isn't needed, and will be a tremendous burden if you're a new player.

Racial stat differences aren't that big of a deal in this game, and at least as a Galka mage you will be able to take more hits.

MP and HP are the comparisons, but you can get by just fine. It's not like other MMORPGs.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Yeah unlike other MMO's this one really promotes having one character learn multiple jobs. Most players only have a second character for extra inventory space, or in more hardcore cases, so they can do more things on their own by dualboxing characters (heck, there's ton's of good code to automate a whm).

LowParry

Suppose I'll go Mithra this time around. Maybe a Taru. And found a nice torrent to get this thing going hopefully by tonight. I'm rather eager to play.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope you guys aren't exaggerating about 1-50 because almost none of my subs are ready for the new cap.
But then, I soloed a couple to 37 pre-FoV, so...

Kokonoe

Banned
Another Word of Absolute Virtue Advice

When you create your character, make sure you enjoy the head/hairstyle. Don't progress in the game till you are satisfied with how you look in the game. You can consistently delete your char if needed to see.

I say this because once you create your character, you cannot change your facial/hair appearance.

LowParry

Does the "Member Name" not matter with log in? And the playonline ID is the four letter, four number log in right? Just having a hard time logging in now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom