• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I distinctively remember why I was leaning towards healing once I got subjobs: waiting around to heal in this game manually takes forever.

Dancer sub. :)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
gamersgate.com is the most busted, POS site ever.
It took many, many tries for payment to go through, (and to even get to that point) and now the page for my games won't load so I can get the code. :/

There should be Festive Moogle outside your mog house. I think the port of whatever nation you're in. It should have it.

i found the guy and he said he had nothing for me. SE said it may take a while. if i wake up and he still has nothing tomorrow morning ill be talking to the helpdesk.

also:

had to quote this again. i got windower and just maxed/uncompressed everything on a 4 year old 2 core centrino and this game went from PS1 graphics to fucking xbox 360. framerate seems solid too. thanks again for this info.

TAJ

The Gamersgate Shelf page finally loaded and FFXI isn't on it.
True, no final confirmation page ever came up because the site hung for the 300th time, but Paypal assures me that payment was sent.
I need to send a support ticket, but surprise surprise... the page won't load.
I'm trying every browser known to god and man. :(

TAJ

I'm at 30% after an hour and a half.

TAJ

Hmm... gamersgate.com works pretty well in literally the last browser I tried. (Internet Explorer)
But I'm not paying for the game again, so the wait for a customer service response continues.

Kronotech

So want to come back... stopped playing before Abyssea and such. A loley 75DRG still dreaming about that Assault Jerkin... which is probably not useful anymore.

Pulling the trick of getting your name changed still work? Start a character on Sylph with my name and then transfer? Ninjaro is my name on Carbuncle but searching for me by "/sea all nin" always annoyed people.

So want to come back... stopped playing before Abyssea and such. A loley 75DRG still dreaming about that Assault Jerkin... which is probably not useful anymore.

Pulling the trick of getting your name changed still work? Start a character on Sylph with my name and then transfer? Ninjaro is my name on Carbuncle but searching for me by "/sea all nin" always annoyed people.

It works. I was on Fairy before the server merge and created a character on Sylph with the same name. When I logged in after the merge, I was asked to change my character name.

TAJ

Yeah, I used to run a 3,360x2,100 back buffer on PC.

Kokonoe

Banned
Yeah, still trying to figure that out.

And I'm not familiar of how to give people pms in game. :/

Edit: I'm a liar.

FEq7Z.png

TAJ

The download is finished. Two hours and forty-five minutes.
It's preparing now, whatever that means.

Still nothing on the hat. Pure sadness.

Should I be running through missions or fighting? I went to by a stone scroll and it's 3000 Gil!!! I'm so broke right now.

LowParry

There's a chain of beginner quests you can start doing. Afterwards I think you can look into finding story quests and such.

ah...the random acts of kindness. i was locked on to someone and couldnt undo it. this person helped me learn that i had to press the * key, then they traded me 50k.

Well that's as much as I can do for now. Hit lvl 10 and just working on the city quests for the rep.

while leveling up did you encounter any treasure chests? i just had my first and cracked the code on the last try. im also seeing new mobs close to the city. this is so cool. im leveling fast too. hit 6 in an hour or so.

LowParry

while leveling up did you encounter any treasure chests? i just had my first and cracked the code on the last try. im also seeing new mobs close to the city. this is so cool. im leveling fast too. hit 6 in an hour or so.

Yeah the blue chest with the temp items is really nice. The chests with the guessing game I tried a few times and just figure to keep on moving forward with killing things. Does gear drop out of the brown chests or just temp items?

Bonus question: With the bonus item hat (that still can't be obtained yet), does it work through lvl 1 - 30 with a sub? So you can always use it through new class play through?

Does gear drop out of the brown chests or just temp items?

i got a pot of honey. i didnt mind taking a break to do a riddle. i spent most of my morning running the city getting quest partially started. then i saw what some of the quests wanted me to kill and i figured i better level. whats your in-game handle? ill send you a friend request.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
Is this game at all newcomer friendly? I've played to level 10-15 like, 3 times in the past. With no friends or groups playing, I could never really progress much more.

Is this game at all newcomer friendly? I've played to level 10-15 like, 3 times in the past. With no friends or groups playing, I could never really progress much more.

the quest arent. theres no hand holding or even a "go that way...". youll need a guide of some sorts. i met some people fairly easy and if we new guys group up, im sure we could get far.

LowParry

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Main_Page

This has pretty much everything you need to know in terms of classes, quests, etc. Best guide out there. I've talked with a few people while I've been leveling. They'd just give you the whole talk of "see ya high lvls" nonsense and move on. So no biggy. There really is a lot to do. Lots of running, etc. Feels good.

Chemo

I've decided to come back to this for the first time since 2005ish... I loved the game for the year or so I played it, but had some gripes about a few things, and ended up having to quit due to lack of time and such. I have some time now, though, and I've been thinking about this game a lot recently.

If most people play on the same server, and anyone is looking for someone else to run around with (or even just chat with), let me know and I'll definitely join your server. I don't know a single person who plays, and a great deal of my memory about this game beyond the subjob quest and the first epic on-foot walk to Jeuno has been lost, but I'm really looking forward to getting back into it.

LowParry

I think most of the new folk here (like me) joined up on the Slyph server. Just need to get a pearl and have green text chat mayhem! Plus it'd be great to group with people. Or as I've been reading, power leveled. Is a thing possible?

Yeah the blue chest with the temp items is really nice. The chests with the guessing game I tried a few times and just figure to keep on moving forward with killing things. Does gear drop out of the brown chests or just temp items?

Bonus question: With the bonus item hat (that still can't be obtained yet), does it work through lvl 1 - 30 with a sub? So you can always use it through new class play through?

You can use the hat any time you are under level 30.

-Actually being under level 30
-Level syncing down to level 30
-Doing capped BCNMs at level 30 or below.

It's delicious.

the quest arent. theres no hand holding or even a "go that way...". youll need a guide of some sorts. i met some people fairly easy and if we new guys group up, im sure we could get far.

There is a new player tutorial questline. I'm sure you should have come across it by now. It's actually kind of cruel and humbling, but in a good way. Teaches you to be careful.

While there are no flashing arrows telling you where candy is, if you talk to everyone and pay attention, you'll find things to do, and npcs that explain things. Some of the quests and missions can be vague from time to time, but it's hardly devoid of direction.

nicoga3000

Saint Nic
I remember enjoying the way quests worked. I just never had anyone to group with. How many new players are jumping into this on GAF? Or maybe the better question would be, how many would be willing to HELP new players get going? :)

LowParry

I had help from the guild Jayse (Jayce?), with a 50k gil start. I don't even remember if I thanked him. Now I feel like an ass. But help is always always appreciated. And huge thanks for any help. I know us new folks got a long road ahead.

yeah, the 50K this person gave me is being stretched pretty well. im not sure how i wouldve afforded scrolls and such without it. do crystals sell well?

reading this only made it worse. get on the ball SE!!

Crystals are required for crafting so yes they sell very well, usually between 1-5k a stack.

The trouble with getting help as a new player is, most the vets have seen a ton of new people play for a month and quit. No one wants to spend their valuable time helping someone who's not going to last more than a few weeks. I'm talking about helping in a more significant sense than "oh cool, the nice cat lady helped me get my sub job item because she was already there". Don't be discouraged by this. It's not that people are generally mean or anything like that, it's more the product of being burned one too many times in the past. This game is willfully obtuse at times, and that turns a lot of people off very quickly, and there is nothing more frustrating than watching someone just throw your goodwill back in your face and quit when you were trying to get them going. I've been on both ends of the stick. If you like any of what you see, I implore you to tough it out, play the content you can, learn the game, and try and make it so people are doing things with you, not for you. It makes all the difference in the world.

Crystals are required for crafting so yes they sell very well, usually between 1-5k a stack.

crafting....forgot all about that. guess ill be keeping these crystals in the mog house. as a BLM is there a craft or skill i should lean on?

random question: anyone else play this entirely in first person mode?

LowParry

And apparently I'm playing out the wrong class for what I want it to sub into when I get the Scholar class. That hat item sure would be damn good now. Ah well. To the grind!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom