• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XI 2011 |OT| To Abyssea and Beyond!

Status
Not open for further replies.
GrumpyAlien said:
Downloaded the Ultimate Collection for $4.99 this morning. WOW wasn't doing it for me, and I really am not enjoying FF XIV very much, so I thought I would jump back into FF XI again after hearing about todays update. Already noticing a large increase in exp, and being able to use field manuals repeatedly is quite nice as well. After a few hours of play it dawned on me just how much I missed this game.

Really I just want to see the story, do missions and quests, and explore the world. Will probably end up as a loner BST, but who knows. I still kinda feel like a jerk getting a pearl from pancakesandsex a year or so ago and then proceeded to quit the next day w/o a word. Anyway, on Sylph and the name is Landes.

Looooool.

When will you be on so I can find and pearl you again.

pancakesandsex said:
Looooool.

When will you be on so I can find and pearl you again.

I will be on later tonight for a couple of hours past 9PM Mountain Time. Although Fri/Sat/Sun I plan on doing some marathon sessions to catch up. I am imagining all the fun is happening in Abyssea nowadays though. When is the earliest I should even consider starting that stuff?

Seeing how shockingly fast the leveling is going from the update I feel a lot less hesitant to tinker around with other jobs. Its going to be fun doing all the quests around Bastok and leveling other jobs at the same time.

B.K.

DrForester said:
Noticing the difference in skill ups. I'm getting them with about the same frequency as before but they're mostly 0.4 and 0.5 when I get them instead of 0.1 and 0.2.

I gained almost 25 levels for Scythe last night from about two and a half hours of partying.

Is the Auction House pretty much dead for some things? I tried to find weapons for sale, but there is next to nothing listed. I guess I need to buy things from the NPC vendors now.

And damn at the speed I am skilling up my weapons from a short amount of playtime. Its pretty nice.

GrumpyAlien said:
Is the Auction House pretty much dead for some things? I tried to find weapons for sale, but there is next to nothing listed. I guess I need to buy things from the NPC vendors now.

And damn at the speed I am skilling up my weapons from a short amount of playtime. Its pretty nice.

Nation auction houses are dead-ish, Jueno not so much. Low level gear will be hard to come by, but you don't reaaaaaaaaally need anything other than npc gear and food for normal xping. If you get mats and shout for a crafter someone may be able to make you something though.

Max

I am not Max
Guys! Ultimate collection is $5 on Steam! Might bite.

I remember playing the trial and not knowing what the hell to do since the controls seemed to be a lot different from WoW so I gave up.

Hmmmmm.

Max said:
Guys! Ultimate collection is $5 on Steam! Might bite.

I remember playing the trial and not knowing what the hell to do since the controls seemed to be a lot different from WoW so I gave up.

Hmmmmm.

The controls are completely different from wow yes. Use a gamepad if you have a hard time adjusting IMO.

B.K.

The experience boost is pretty nice too. Last night, I was getting 600-700 at Qufim synced down to 22 with the bonus from Emperor's Band and the Corsair's exp. up ability.

Shouta

If you still want to play with a keyboard Max, don't bother with the mouse because it's useless for the most part. You can play FFXI entirely on one hand with a full keyboard barring macros. Use the number pad and the surrounding keys to navigate the game.

And yes, the XP has effectively doubled thanks to the udpate. Getting 700+ XP with Emperor Band and a COR roll at 22 is crazy. Get a chain going and you'll start raking in the XP.

Desi

yeah for me I went from 30-38 in only a few hours with no exp items. we even traveled to kazham by Airship and back to Qufim.

I think I put like five hours into this game tonight. It still amazes me just how charming the world itself still is after all these years. Although I assume it is graphically inferior to most of the more current MMOs out there, it has such great character designs and style that it makes up for any issues. In a way it feels like the most realized world in an FF game, possibly rivaled by FF XII. And hearing the music again brings back so many memories.

Anyway, the addiction is taking hold again and I can't wait to get past the initial hurdles, which seem to be going by much faster than I ever remembered. I searched all areas for Pancakesandsex earlier in hope to get a pearl, but I probably should have typed his FF XI name (Pancakesandsx) rather than his GAF name...which obviously couldn't exist in FF XI. I should be on throughout much of the week so hopefully I can send you a Tell.

Tried to play a bit of FF XIV afterwards, and realized how much better FF XI was. I swear that the NPCs in the game seem like wallpaper. Whereas in FF XI every new person you found might lead to a new quest. Although the rewards weren't always the best, it did flesh out the world and make it feel more alive.

GrumpyAlien said:
I think I put like five hours into this game tonight. It still amazes me just how charming the world itself still is after all these years. Although I assume it is graphically inferior to most of the more current MMOs out there, it has such great character designs and style that it makes up for any issues. In a way it feels like the most realized world in an FF game, possibly rivaled by FF XII. And hearing the music again brings back so many memories.

Anyway, the addiction is taking hold again and I can't wait to get past the initial hurdles, which seem to be going by much faster than I ever remembered. I searched all areas for Pancakesandsex earlier in hope to get a pearl, but I probably should have typed his FF XI name (Pancakesandsx) rather than his GAF name...which obviously couldn't exist in FF XI. I should be on throughout much of the week so hopefully I can send you a Tell.

Tried to play a bit of FF XIV afterwards, and realized how much better FF XI was. I swear that the NPCs in the game seem like wallpaper. Whereas in FF XI every new person you found might lead to a new quest. Although the rewards weren't always the best, it did flesh out the world and make it feel more alive.

I'll be on later tonight, after 6:30 EST. I have limbus at 7:30 but can pearl you before/after. Meet me in port jueno? Can also look for Ezlyn.

pancakesandsex said:
I'll be on later tonight, after 6:30 EST. I have limbus at 7:30 but can pearl you before/after. Meet me in port jueno? Can also look for Ezlyn.

I can meet you in port jueno, but it will be my first time going there for this character. My highest is 14War, so I am literally starting from scratch. As long as I can avoid aggro I should be able to make it, but it still might be somewhat risky. Perhaps meeting me after your Limbus appointment, and maybe near my home Nation of Bastok would be better if you don't mind? I will send you a Tell and discuss it then.

GrumpyAlien said:
I can meet you in port jueno, but it will be my first time going there for this character. My highest is 14War, so I am literally starting from scratch. As long as I can avoid aggro I should be able to make it, but it still might be somewhat risky. Perhaps meeting me after your Limbus appointment, and maybe near my home Nation of Bastok would be better if you don't mind? I will send you a Tell and discuss it then.

I'll meet you in you nation then or at an outpost. Much easier.

ronito

so I too the bait and bought the collection for $5.

Install it. Now it's downloading updates. ETA? 8 hours. Sigh.

ronito said:
so I too the bait and bought the collection for $5.

Install it. Now it's downloading updates. ETA? 8 hours. Sigh.

I got pissed off when I saw the 8 hours of updates too, but it actually lied. It only took around 4.

ronito

So I've done it, I've created Spoonster on the Sylph server.

Two quick questions.
1. How do I change the graphics settings?
2. It's been like 6 years since I left. Any kind of noob guide out there to get me reacquainted with commands?

I recently found my old FF11 discs and was thinking about trying it out again for at least a little bit. I installed it and then realized that I never took down what my PlayOnline ID was. Is there anyway to recover it, either by emailing or calling support? What would I need for them to give me the ID? I played from 2003-2004, so if I am SOL with getting my ID back, oh well.. ;|

ronito said:
So I've done it, I've created Spoonster on the Sylph server.

Two quick questions.
1. How do I change the graphics settings?
2. It's been like 6 years since I left. Any kind of noob guide out there to get me reacquainted with commands?

check the wiki for the noob stuff

graphics are though a separate app, if you're going through steam right click the game in the library for options.

Big Papa Husker said:
I recently found my old FF11 discs and was thinking about trying it out again for at least a little bit. I installed it and then realized that I never took down what my PlayOnline ID was. Is there anyway to recover it, either by emailing or calling support? What would I need for them to give me the ID? I played from 2003-2004, so if I am SOL with getting my ID back, oh well.. ;|
Anyone have any idea?

Zomba13

Big Papa Husker said:
Anyone have any idea?
Happened with me sort of. I had my POL ID and password on a post it in the back of mmy manual but my password was apaprently wrong (I never change it though) got in touch through their live chat thing, answered some Qs. POL ID, DoB, first and last 4 digits of card that was last used to pay. Things like that. They sorted it really quick too.

Zomba13 said:
Happened with me sort of. I had my POL ID and password on a post it in the back of mmy manual but my password was apaprently wrong (I never change it though) got in touch through their live chat thing, answered some Qs. POL ID, DoB, first and last 4 digits of card that was last used to pay. Things like that. They sorted it really quick too.
Last 4 digits huh? Well crap... I have no clue which card would have been used back then. I have all the registration keys (POL, FFXI, TetraMaster, etc). Do they HAVE to have the card numbers?

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
So, can I experience the majority of the story without a group now?

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Suikoguy said:
So, can I experience the majority of the story without a group now?

Probably still going to need at least a small party for some of the mission BC fights through the expansions storylines.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
DrForester said:
Probably still going to need at least a small party for some of the mission BC fights through the expansions storylines.

Well, that's not too bad.
I bit on the 4.99 steam deal and I'm patching now. I'll get started on Slyph tomorrow.

ronito

Played a while last night. Immediately struck by how empty things are. Back when I played before Windhurst was bustling with players. I played for about an hour and saw less than 10 players.

ronito said:
Played a while last night. Immediately struck by how empty things are. Back when I played before Windhurst was bustling with players. I played for about an hour and saw less than 10 players.

They are all in jueno.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
ronito said:

Due to Abyssea Jeuno is the world's hub again. Regional teleports and Whitegate warps from home nations made the home nations appealing, added to that having almost no activity in Jeuno (beyond limbus). With everything being centered around Abyssea and there being the warp guy and the stone guy Jeuno is the logical place to set up camp.

Developer interviews have indicated that Abyssea stone givers and warpers will be added to the home nations, to take some of the stress off of Jeuno.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting the Collection for 5 bucks and taking a month to vacation in FFXI. It'll be nice to revisit old haunts, and maybe grind some COP content that I never finished. How much does it cost to server move?

Suikoguy

Created "Suikosword" on Slyph.

I started as a monk, but i'm not sure what I really want to play yet.

Suikoguy

pancakesandsex said:
You on now? I'll pearl you.

I'm on now, should be for at least a couple hours from this post.

Suikoguy

pancakesandsex said:
Won't really be back on till tomorrow, look for ezlyn, he should probably be on later tonight, he's on JP time.

No problem, i'm still getting the hang of it all anyway.
Just completed mission 1-1 in Bastok

I'm about to call SE to see if they can give me my ID. I was a subscriber in 2003-2004 when Zilart was the only expansion, so I was wondering how I'd upgrade my existing POL account if I bought it off Steam. Is it an easy process?

Big Papa Husker said:
I'm about to call SE to see if they can give me my ID. I was a subscriber in 2003-2004 when Zilart was the only expansion, so I was wondering how I'd upgrade my existing POL account if I bought it off Steam. Is it an easy process?

If you buy the steam version, just download it, log in with your old info, and add the new cd key to your account via pol. You'll get all the expansions you're missing that are covered by the code.

I was trying to update my payment info and this "3-D Secure" crap came up. Can this be bypassed? Why is it forcing this thing? I've NEVER ran into this in any other MMOs.

EDIT: I haven't bought the Ultimate Collection yet. I wanted to see if I could recover my old characters first.

Big Papa Husker said:
I was trying to update my payment info and this "3-D Secure" crap came up. Can this be bypassed? Why is it forcing this thing? I've NEVER ran into this in any other MMOs.

EDIT: I haven't bought the Ultimate Collection yet. I wanted to see if I could recover my old characters first.

You can bypass by registering your payment info on a console. Is your CC not passing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom