• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Dex

Surprise maintenance on the account site so I can't setup my billing... GG squeenix. No notice on any of their websites and the ffxi site says nothing is wrong.

edit: And it works now....

Also, damn. 4 hour patch from an install off of the adoulin disc.

Kokonoe

Banned
Does anyone have the Foolkiller Great Axe? If so, equip it tomorrow on April first (April Fools) to see if that's the latent effect.

Got to level 10. Really have no clue what I'm doing or supposed to be doing. I remember getting to the mid-30s before I stopped in April of 2004 but I don't remember what I'm supposed to do with crystals, how to get a LS pearl, etc. I know I'm supposed to go to the dunes at some point soon-ish. That's about it. So lost, but having fun! :p

Kokonoe

Banned
Interesting, I just noticed the buffs from Geomancer stay on you even whilst on a Chocobo.
Geomancer is now viable.

ieedT9BPkdYdF.png

Suairyu

Banned
Migrating from the expansion PSA thread. First time player, currently on trial.

How do I join the NeoGAF linkshell? Something about crafting pearls?

Also, started with an onion dagger which seems as effective as a piece of paper - what would be the quickest way to get a more desirable weapon, like a sword?

I'm currently following the tutorial quest line (Windhurst) - is there anything else I should be doing as a player starting out?

So I resubscribed to check out Adoulin but I haven't really played much since Abyssea started.

I'll be hitting up one of you guys shortly for a new linkpearl. Rockman Returns!

hgplayer1

Also, started with an onion dagger which seems as effective as a piece of paper - what would be the quickest way to get a more desirable weapon, like a sword?

I'm currently following the tutorial quest line (Windhurst) - is there anything else I should be doing as a player starting out?

I dont know about the onion dagger in particular but ive leveled 3 jobs already to level 10+ using the level 1 weapons (dagger,sword and knuckles). As you skill up and gain weapon skills it will become more effective. Daggers dont do much damage anyway but they attack quickly. I would say stick with it and only upgrade when you get ready to go to the next area.

Post your characters name so someone can send you a message in game and get you set up with a linkshell pearl.

I wouldnt worry too much about questing at the moment but if thats what you want to do I would recommend using a guide like ffxiclopedia.com or something because the quest info in game is almost useless.

Loona

There's a quest in Selbina where you give an NPC a full set of Onion weapons, which means keepings yours and finding the others on the auction house, so if you care about quests, it may be worth keeping that in mind.

How is Red Mage in the game currently? It's the class I've set myself up to level now, but I'm not really sure where it fits in the games current meta.

The last time I played, everyone wanted RDM's in their groups, but I'm not so certain anymore.

Anyway, Unlocked my SJ and am currently leveling my main class for a while. Anyone who's new want to add me to friends? Name is Jamzh. Playing blm rdm and whm for now until I unlock scholar and summoner.

B-Dex

Square-Enix Support is a JOKE. My Destrier Beret from last summer IS STILL borked. In-game GMs told me to use support center site, support center site told me to live chat or call, (live chat does not even exist), call NON-TOLL FREE on hold for an hour... The csr has the nerve to sass me about how long I waited to complain about a RESOLVED issue..... (I stopped playing). But realizing she is blaming me for their screw up I was told a ticket/confirm number to give a GM in-game through a new help desk ticket so they can hand deliver me this damn beret.

Complete joke. Really unimpressed.

Kokonoe

Banned
How is Red Mage in the game currently? It's the class I've set myself up to level now, but I'm not really sure where it fits in the games current meta.

The last time I played, everyone wanted RDM's in their groups, but I'm not so certain anymore.

Anyway, Unlocked my SJ and am currently leveling my main class for a while. Anyone who's new want to add me to friends? Name is Jamzh. Playing blm rdm and whm for now until I unlock scholar and summoner.

Listen to me when I tell you the cold hard truth.

Red Mage is the worst class in the entire game, it has extremely niche roles while every other job does what it does vastly better. It's not competitive in any way.

Loona

Listen to me when I tell you the cold hard truth.

Red Mage is the worst class in the entire game, it has extremely niche roles while every other job does what it does vastly better. It's not competitive in any way.

As a main job nowadays it has pretty stiff competition, but it seems to have the makings of a good mage sub, if for no other reason than Refresh...

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
My Adoulin install is updating right now, but I don't have a lot of time this week.

EDIT: I have no idea how to make bayld. I've made zero unless you count the 1,000 they give you to start. I did a couple quests where I'm supposed to find something. Found it, clicked on it, said I failed.
Then I read about reives, but I can't find any nests or other reives, or any info online about where they are.
Some sites made it sound like you can get some bayld from killing regular mobs, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

Azuran

Banned

Play BLU! BLU is now what RDM was originally intended to be, the hybrid melee mage. It's also the best job in the game too.

Suairyu

Banned
I wouldnt worry too much about questing at the moment but if thats what you want to do I would recommend using a guide like ffxiclopedia.com or something because the quest info in game is almost useless.
Well, I want to see some of the world and the story! That feeling of getting lost somewhere else. Story (quests) can help with that.

Caj814

Just reactivated last week after a very long period of being away (early 2008). It was a bit overwhelming coming back after a server migration (Fairy to Sylph) and a bunch of new content. I didn't even know where to start. I do gotta thank Trebx for helping me catch up on essentials as well as pancakes for inviting me into his social LS. Hopefully I can get my WAR from 76 to 99 without too much trouble and be able to help out with events once I get more experience within the new areas.

B-Dex

Finally my Beret is here. Took a GM 10seconds to put it directly into my inventory. Now my tiny galka looks adorable in his chocobo shirt and destrier beret.

Who should I send a tell to to get in the new LS? I still have my SoD and Backloggery pearls.

Loona

What's the go-to subjob for BLU these days? Many years ago it was NIN and that was a turn off.

It really depends on what you're doing - I usually go / dnc for dual wield and heals, but when I'm expected to use more MP go /rdm.

Being able to set your own job traits is great <3

Kokonoe

Banned
Well fellows, throw away your E/M/R weapons cause holy moogle pants.

Tlalpoloani (Hand-to-Hand) MNK PUP
DMG+74 Delay:+96 DEX+8 &#8826;Element: Fire&#8827;+20
"Store TP"+5

Macoquetza (Dagger) THF BRD DNC
DMG:64 Delay:200 AGI+8 &#8826;Element: Water&#8827;+20
"Subtle Blow"+7

Camatlatia (Sword) RDM PLD BLU
DMG:76 Delay:240 STR+8 &#8826;Element: Fire&#8827;+20
Physical damage taken -4%

Icoyoca (Axe) WAR BST
DMG:92 Delay:288 STR+8 &#8826;Element: Air&#8827;+20
"Double Attack"+2%

Suijingiri KM (Katana) SAM
DMG:144 Delay:450 STR+8 &#8826;Element: Water&#8827;+20
Enhances effect of skillchain bonuses

Zoquittihuitz (Ranged) RNG
DMG:90 Delay:432 AGI+8 &#8826;Element: Water&#8827;+20
Enmity-8

Azuran

Banned
What's the go-to subjob for BLU these days? Many years ago it was NIN and that was a turn off.

/WAR for pretty much everything that requires you to kill stuff. /RDM for solo and /DCN for Dynamis.

/NIN is not used much anymore since BLU now gets native Dual Wield 3 and that subjob really doesn't offer much besides Subtle Blow.

Anyone ever have an issue where the character models won't display? Because I am and I ran the check files thing and everything and it still won't play nice, ugh.

Loona

/WAR for pretty much everything that requires you to kill stuff. /RDM for solo and /DCN for Dynamis.

/NIN is not used much anymore since BLU now gets native Dual Wield 3 and that subjob really doesn't offer much besides Subtle Blow.

I do not believe Utsusemi's starting to get forgotten as a defenseive option...spells like Occultation help, but still...

I'd use /WAR more often, but /DNC and /RDM give me sneak/invisible options which are too handy to pass up for most things I do.

Kokonoe

Banned
DAT mined? Where's that supposed to come from, those Nakuaal NMs?

Seems to be the case.

Anyone ever have an issue where the character models won't display? Because I am and I ran the check files thing and everything and it still won't play nice, ugh.
Sent you a PM that might help.
So taking my RDM to 49 at least as a sj for blu won't be a waste of time? I hope not :S I really like RDM.

RDM is a great subjob for mages, definitely worth it in that regard.

hgplayer1

Got my chocobo license last night.

Gearing up for the double exp even that starts tomorrow.

I will probably have at least one of my jobs to level 50 before the weekend is up and then Ill be looking to do limit break quests.

Before I do the limit break I may run through as many of the San d'Oria missions as I can solo.

If anyone wants to do those missions let me know. Character name is Donyell.

Id also be willing to walk anyone through some of the early stuff no matter what it is. I can run you to Jueno too if youre ready to start the quest for chocobo license.

creid

Got my chocobo license last night.

Gearing up for the double exp even that starts tomorrow.

I will probably have at least one of my jobs to level 50 before the weekend is up and then Ill be looking to do limit break quests.

Before I do the limit break I may run through as many of the San d'Oria missions as I can solo.

If anyone wants to do those missions let me know. Character name is Donyell.

Id also be willing to walk anyone through some of the early stuff no matter what it is. I can run you to Jueno too if youre ready to start the quest for chocobo license.
I'm in the same position - one job at 50, need to do limit breaks, and trying to get as far as possible in the San d'Oria stuff. I think I left off around rank 3 or 4? I'm Creid on Sylph.

Loona

I need to remember the double exp days - I'm finally getting round to doing my BLM AF quests, and as long as I'm saving for an Adamantoise Egg to complete my Black Belt quest, no way I'm spending over 100k gil for a Silk Cloth.
This means levelling Thief high enough to be able to use Despoil on Eldieme (S) ghosts to get the thing - mine's currently at 61, so I guess I'll be spending some time at the Oubliette, I'm glad I was shown the party area the other day...
Not a lot of gear for that job, especially in the weapon department (though I have a Rapidus Sax from when i was getting Reaving Wind in Abyssea), but I should be able to reuse some stuff from my MNK and BLU mains...

I guess today is prep day - inventory clearing and getting the AF knife which I've been postponing. Good thing I recently got one of the items for The Opo-opo And I quest I was missing (while getting of for the BLM boots quest), since I've had a few other in storage, so I'll be able to finally get rid of those.

There sure is a lot to do in this game, but it's nice when you can sort of multitask by getting stuff done simultaneously that'll help with what's up ahead.
On the other hand, this means I'm not spending a lot of time in the new areas...

hgplayer1

I'm in the same position - one job at 50, need to do limit breaks, and trying to get as far as possible in the San d'Oria stuff. I think I left off around rank 3 or 4? I'm Creid on Sylph.

Ill look for you tonight maybe we can team up for something.

What time are you usually on?

Seigyoku

If there is anyone here on Sylph who we haven't pearled and is interested, post your in-game name and your best bets are to send tells to either Pancakesandsx (NO SECOND E), Aurellius or Seigyoku.

Aur being the one most likely to be on. /ojousamalaugh

And I need to get RUN and GEO to at least 12 during this double exp. Get me some more CP. Maybe knock out a Dyna trial (oh that would be lovely).

Suairyu

Banned
Ugh. So tonight I need to format my computer and start fresh.

Is there any way I can save my FFXI install so I don't have to go through the lengthy patch process again?

creid

Ill look for you tonight maybe we can team up for something.

What time are you usually on?
Got held up at work yesterday so I didn't get a chance to sign on. Honestly I haven't been playing much since my friend left the game, but I've been looking for a chance to jump back in. My prime time during the week would be 7ish-11pm EST.

B.K.

Has everyone done the subjob quest? I've got a Damselfly Worm in my loot pool right now, if anyone needs it and is online right now.

Kokonoe

Banned
Just did a /sea all on Asura and Sylph to see how many people were currently on right now and this is what I got.

Asura 1893
Sylph 1173

That's a lot more, but I don't know, something about playing a server that isn't so jam packed sounds kinda nice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom