• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joei

Two questions here. Does CoP still have those level capped areas or did they remove the caps? What I'm referring to is, I think, the aqueducts where you get those subligar to change into other armor with that quest in Bastok. I currently have the Gaudy Harness and Gloom breastplate and have always wanted the THF one. I prob would juat wear it for show or in level synced areas lol.

Also, with my THF, I've been xping in C nest by level syncing, but it's 63. Do people level up in areas like gusgen or CN that late or should I stick to syncing? Even with synching I went from 60-63 fairly quickly and easily so I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't mind really utilizing some of my new equipment to its full benefit lol

Joei

They removed capps for COP, as I recall.

Most people synch until 75 or so now so yeah...

Yeah, it looks like the caps were lifted. Sweet.

I guess I'll keep synching in CN till 75 or I find something better. Thanks.

Kokonoe

Banned
Sunbreeze Festival Information and Guide Here!

Image07-25-2012_1.jpg

dcYds.png

Here's a hypothetical situation I couldn't quickly find an answer for:
Say a quest requires a level to start it, like 51. If I, through the process of doing the quest, die and delevel to 50, would I still be able to finish it?

Now for the not-so-hypothetical:
I did the first limit break last night but died 5 times in the process. Apparently everything aggroes in Eldieme, Garliage, and one floor of Crawlers. I lost some exp of course but would like to just fight a few battles to get to 51 then finish the second limit break so the next time I hit Crawlers' Nest I don't have to dip out so early.

Kokonoe said:
Sunbreeze info

I'm totally participating. Being able to travel between the three nations quickly would be a godsend.

Two questions here. Does CoP still have those level capped areas or did they remove the caps? What I'm referring to is, I think, the aqueducts where you get those subligar to change into other armor with that quest in Bastok. I currently have the Gaudy Harness and Gloom breastplate and have always wanted the THF one. I prob would juat wear it for show or in level synced areas lol.

Also, with my THF, I've been xping in C nest by level syncing, but it's 63. Do people level up in areas like gusgen or CN that late or should I stick to syncing? Even with synching I went from 60-63 fairly quickly and easily so I'm not complaining, but I wouldn't mind really utilizing some of my new equipment to its full benefit lol

Yeah caps are gone from CoP.

Bilix

Here's a hypothetical situation I couldn't quickly find an answer for:
Say a quest requires a level to start it, like 51. If I, through the process of doing the quest, die and delevel to 50, would I still be able to finish it?

I think you still can. I know that if you level down doing the support job quest, you can still turn it in. I think the level requirement is just for flagging purposes.

creid

A friend of mine picked up FFXI from the Steam sale on a lark, and now that we're playing together I'm a lot more excited about playing. I started playing as WHM so I could help his Monk, and boy is it a lot more fun than solo'ing WAR.

Do you actually need to do anything to start crafting? I don't remember seeing any menu options for it, but all of the crafting guides I've found don't mention needing special equipment or how to start.

Do you actually need to do anything to start crafting? I don't remember seeing any menu options for it, but all of the crafting guides I've found don't mention needing special equipment or how to start.

All you need to have is the materials for the recipe of what you want to make, which would be some kind of crystal and the extra ingredients. Go into the items menu, select the crystal to use, then add ingredients in the slots and hit OK. Crafting happens. Sit back and watch and it'll finish.

creid

All you need to have is the materials for the recipe of what you want to make, which would be some kind of crystal and the extra ingredients. Go into the items menu, select the crystal to use, then add ingredients in the slots and hit OK. Crafting happens. Sit back and watch and it'll finish.
Got it, thanks. Guess I haven't selected crystals from my inventory in a while.

Susurrus

So I tried to come back.

I logged in to get a message saying I need to transfer, so I go to SE's site, log in and attempt to transfer. Unfortunately I cannot because I don't remember my password from when we used POL ID. The reset password option is contacting support, so now I have to wait for that.

In the mean time I decided to update my payment info on the site. Credit card keeps giving an unknown error, so I went to try the pay now option, and they gotta depost small amounts into my bank for confirmation.

Fucking pain in the ass makes me not want to come back at all. I was hoping to update in time for Sunday when my gf will be at work and I will have a load of free time. Not sure I can make it.

I don't wanna do anything crazy, just level my subjobs to 49 from 40, pick a main job to take to 99 from 75 (have PLD BLU SMN BLM RDM WHM SAM BST, picking one may be difficult), and finish wotg missions and the addon stories. With leveling supposedly being so easy nowadays I can't imagine this being too difficult if I can just log in.

EDIT: finally remembered my password for old POL. But still getting error: 601 when trying to pay and Clickandbuy even though I verified is still blocked. Submitted an email since they're only open M-F. Wish I could update my game though...

So I tried to come back.

I logged in to get a message saying I need to transfer, so I go to SE's site, log in and attempt to transfer. Unfortunately I cannot because I don't remember my password from when we used POL ID. The reset password option is contacting support, so now I have to wait for that.

In the mean time I decided to update my payment info on the site. Credit card keeps giving an unknown error, so I went to try the pay now option, and they gotta depost small amounts into my bank for confirmation.

Fucking pain in the ass makes me not want to come back at all. I was hoping to update in time for Sunday when my gf will be at work and I will have a load of free time. Not sure I can make it.

I don't wanna do anything crazy, just level my subjobs to 49 from 40, pick a main job to take to 99 from 75 (have PLD BLU SMN BLM RDM WHM SAM BST, picking one may be difficult), and finish wotg missions and the addon stories. With leveling supposedly being so easy nowadays I can't imagine this being too difficult if I can just log in.

EDIT: finally remembered my password for old POL. But still getting error: 601 when trying to pay and Clickandbuy even though I verified is still blocked. Submitted an email since they're only open M-F. Wish I could update my game though...

Once you're paid up again you could try getting an update torrent from BG or something to make it go faster.

Took a bit too long for this but it's still a handy item regardless.

Jul. 26, 2012 00:00 [PDT] From: FINAL FANTASY XI

Current Known Issues (Jul. 13): Follow-up

During the past month, players were unable to receive the Destrier Beret from the Festive Moogle, despite having registered a campaign code via the Square Enix Account Management System.

We are happy to announce that the issue has been resolved at 0:00 on Jul. 26, 2012 (PDT).

New players will be able to receive the Destrier Beret from the Festive Moogle by following the normal steps for campaign code registration. Players who have already redeemed their codes will be able to receive the item by speaking to the Festive Moogle.

We deeply apologize for any inconvenience this issue may have caused and thank you for your patience.

Joei

Earlier today I took my 74 THF to fight Unstable Cluster since a lot of the testimonials were reporting that he was pretty easy now after whatever updates from before. Looks like I underestimated it and got my behind handed to me. I was able to PD and warp out, but he was hitting me pretty hard. So I watched a video and the SAM in the vid was getting hit just as hard, but with DNC sub he was able to continually keep himself healed. Looks like I'll be leveling up DNC to 40 then try and take my THF up to 80.

When I hit 75, where should I level my THF at? Is that too early to start Abyssea?

Oh, if anyone wonders why I was fighting him, it's cause of this

hgplayer1

you will want to go ahead and get your sub job up to 49 for what its worth. find a party in Crawler's Nest and go nuts.

If you can get an invite at 75 you should do ok in Abyssea.

Joei

you will want to go ahead and get your sub job up to 49 for what its worth. find a party in Crawler's Nest and go nuts.

If you can get an invite at 75 you should do ok in Abyssea.

Thanks. I'm looking over the beginner guide for Voidwatch and am going to get started on that soon to keep it open. I'm not in any LS at the moment so I'll keep an eye on Jeuno shouts for Abyssea. I also have to do my cap break quests after 75 as well so I need to get some merit points and the 75->80 quest first.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I started playing during that event in 2004, but it used to be called Summerfest.
I thought goldfish scooping and fireworks were normal for that zone.

Kokonoe

Banned
Anyone familiar with the weighted switches in Quicksand Caves? I think they're pointless, and it took me a bit to locate someone who wanted to help me with the door so I could continue Zilart.

I would've done the solo quest, but it ended up needing a stack of Soil Geode which on Asura cost 1.9 Mil, so I wasn't about to do that. I had a brief conversation with people telling me that I was apparently lazy for disliking the idea of these, and their reasoning was that "lore" and "bringing players together"

I however told them that a Galka can open the door itself, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of the "bringing players together" bit. I also don't see how it does bring players together, other than to step on a switch. I said it was a waste of time, and the person said "everything is a waste of time, it's a game".

Just thought I'd share.

hgplayer1

Anyone familiar with the weighted switches in Quicksand Caves? I think they're pointless, and it took me a bit to locate someone who wanted to help me with the door so I could continue Zilart.

I would've done the solo quest, but it ended up needing a stack of Soil Geode which on Asura cost 1.9 Mil, so I wasn't about to do that. I had a brief conversation with people telling me that I was apparently lazy for disliking the idea of these, and their reasoning was that "lore" and "bringing players together"

I however told them that a Galka can open the door itself, which kinda defeats the whole purpose of the "bringing players together" bit. I also don't see how it does bring players together, other than to step on a switch. I said it was a waste of time, and the person said "everything is a waste of time, it's a game".

Just thought I'd share.

you can also just farm a Meteorite from crawlers in the Windurst starting areas for the loadstone. That's what I did.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Open_Sesame

Kokonoe

Banned
you can also just farm a Meteorite from crawlers in the Windurst starting areas for the loadstone. That's what I did.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Open_Sesame

Ah, so it is your choice. I already completed it, but if I ever need to go down there again I will.

I actually forgot to mention this started because someone mentioned they didn't like it.

Oddly enough, one of them mentioned "1.9 mil is the cost for you to do it alone" and "If you want easy go play WoW".

hgplayer1

Ah, so it is your choice. I already completed it, but if I ever need to go down there again I will.

I actually forgot to mention this started because someone mentioned they didn't like it.

Oddly enough, one of them mentioned "1.9 mil is the cost for you to do it alone" and "If you want easy go play WoW".

there's also an easy way to open the 4-switch door in Garlaige Citadel by yourself.

http://wiki.ffxiclopedia.org/wiki/Pouch_of_weighted_stones

Joei

Unlocked DNC last night, woo hoo... That was a pretty easy quest lol. I hope to start leveling it today. After reading up a little it seems like a fun job with some cool abilities to make it more solo friendly than I thought.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Galka being able to open those alone is a lore thing. It's their former home.
But yeah... I never liked these doors anyway.

Kokonoe

Banned
Gotta love the FFXI community.
Yeah, they also mentioned that time consumption equates to difficulty, and they liked spending tons and tons of time trying to get something, and typical Abyssea ruined the game, etc.

A lot of silliness really.
Unlocked DNC last night, woo hoo... That was a pretty easy quest lol. I hope to start leveling it today. After reading up a little it seems like a fun job with some cool abilities to make it more solo friendly than I thought.
It's real simple and real potent. The highest Waltz you can use on a subjob is Waltz III, but it's still nice. Heals about 300-400 HP.

Galka being able to open those alone is a lore thing. It's their former home.
But yeah... I never liked these doors anyway.

I understand lore and that's fine, but lore isn't an excuse for bad game design in my opinion. Lore also doesn't apply to everything in the game, as I can do the story modes whenever I please, or somehow can still be considered a small-fry by the NPCs from VW and many others even after killing Shinryu or defeating Promathia.

Reknoc

Decided to resub while my mate was playing the free trial but then his laptop blew up or something so now I guess I'm checking this out myself.

Got a Mithra THF (Reik) and Taru Taru (best race) BLM (Rektarum) on Sylph (both around lvl 5).

Joei

We're twinsies~

Why is everything so expensive?! I've only been able to afford Cure 1 and Stone. (RDM). Can't buy a sword or any armor.

Make sure you save every drop you get from the monsters that can be sold for gil in the Auction House. Also make sure you have Signet on at all times when battling. Signet lets you get crystals which is an easy source of income for the low levels since the stacks sell super fast in the AH. Make sure you're doing every quest you're able to do as well since those help increase town fame for access to later quests as well as sometimes provide a source of income. The further you get into the game the more accessible money is, but those early levels can really be a pain.

One other thing, in the early levels some of the armor is cheaper in the shops than at the Auction House. Make sure you check both before automatically buying in the AH.

yana

Neo Member
So I tried to come back.

Possibly a bit late, but it might still help, and if not you, then others; don't use ClickandBuy. Absolutely horrible company, and there are plenty of horror stories out there about them if you want to look them up (this can range from being unable to register because they occasionally require excessive proof of identification such as scans of photo ID or utility bills, to being banned from FFXI because they messed up, and taking months to get it undone, if at all). There's no reason to use them since you can pay SE directly through use of a credit card or Paypal, so I would really suggest doing so.

601 errors can happen for a variety of reasons, ranging from credit card information not matching SE account information (differing names, addresses etc.), to using a credit card registered in a different country than your IP, to Noscript blocking all relevant domains, and many other things (most likely including using ClickanBuy, because it's just that horrible). If you receive an error, don't keep trying over and over, as each error builds up 'points', and if you receive enough things won't work no matter what. These decay slowly over time, but there's no real obvious indication, and if you run into errors multiple times, it's best to contact support.

I went to the north gate and got a mission to head to some magic tower thing so ive been grinding to do that.

On the inside of Windurst's gates there are guards, some of which have "W.W." at the end of their name, talk to them and ask about signet and you'll receive a buff which lasts for a few hours which will let you earn conquest points (useful for buying certain items from the same guards), give you a defence and evasion boost against enemies equal or lower to your level, and make enemies you defeat potentially drop crystals, which are used for crafting, but can also be sold on the auction house for a decent amount of money for somebody starting out.

Outside the cities you'll also find field manuals, floating books, which let you do training regimes, which involve killing a specific amount of certain monsters. Completion will get you exp, gil, and tabs which can be used on temporary buffs from the same books.

With regards to your money issues, you will want to find the auction house (southeastern part of Windurst Woods, as well as one in the middle-southern part of Windurst Walls) to sell things at (as well as buy, though the most low level items tend to be cheaper from NPC vendors), and those that aren't worth selling can still be sold to NPCs for minor amounts of gil.

A decent place to look up things if you're just starting is http://www.ffxiclopedia.org, and http://www.ffxiah.com can be used to look up auction house prices if you want to compare with NPC ones.

Leunam

Cool. I only ask because I'm pretty sure there are some here who aren't on Sylph. Don't want to assume every new player is on the same server.

Kokonoe

Banned
I play on Asura, but I'm not new. However, I most likely am going to transfer away from this server soon. Perhaps farm some NMs that I'm unable to see on Asura.

Susurrus

I did end up using clickandbuy since regular wasnt having it.

Ok, so I was gonna work on getting my nin from 43 to 49 but didn't know how to go about that nowadays, so I hopped on my 85RDM and started doing where I left off in WOTG missions while lfg. Didnt take too long to get a party in abyssea altep. Joined that group and got 30 merits and a bunch of crests. Went and unlocked lvl 90 cap. Went to sky via dem cop tele and killed a sprinkler to get 86, and got my cap to 95. Gotta buy spells and head out to raise my level to that.

Azuran

Banned
Cool. I only ask because I'm pretty sure there are some here who aren't on Sylph. Don't want to assume every new player is on the same server.

I'm on Asura and I'm kinda new. Only been playing for 7 months. Anyways, only reason I haven't moved and probably never will to join most of you guys, is because I don't wanna leave my LS and friends behind. I <3 them too much

Kokonoe

Banned
I'm on Asura and I'm kinda new. Only been playing for 7 months. Anyways, only reason I haven't moved and probably never will to join most of you guys, is because I don't wanna leave my LS and friends behind. I <3 them too much

Which Linkshell are you a part of?

B.K.

I only won the Mog Suit + Ark Sword. Anyone here win anything?

They've announced the Gobbiebag winners? Is there a site you go to to see the winners or do you find out when you log in?

Edit: Arc Scythe, Athena Orb, Moggle Suit, and Moogle Masque. It took me forever to get to those. I haven't cleared out my delivery box in months. I had about 160,000 gil sitting in there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom