• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2012 |OT| Ten years of Vana'diel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Azuran

Banned
The scythe/sword and suit should have been consolation prizes for everyone. All I truly wanted was another red proc on my NIN :/

Reknoc

Is there anyone on at the moment to request a pearl for the GAF linkshell? Or if anyone could just message me (Reik) that'd be great.

Six and Chief, you should both have the sanguine spike from gukumatz. Use it for this quest.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Destiny_Odyssey

Both of you should read through the basic abyssea overview:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Category:Abyssea

All the information about procs and things are here, familiarize yourself with them so you know what you can do, and what to do.

And this guide:
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Abyssea_Guide

This will give you an idea of what to shoot for first. Be sure to let people know what you're after so you can get the appropriate help.

Last night was kind of hectic so I couldn't really explain all of this at the time. There is a lot to take in so do peruse this stuff ahead of time!

Can you both point out which "stone production" abyssite you're missing?

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Ivory_abyssite_of_celerity <-- buy this asap if you have not yet
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Azure_abyssite_of_celerity
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Crimson_abyssite_of_celerity

Reknoc - send me, danicolas, seigyoku, or aurellius a message in game, we'll get you.

mike23

PUP one is kinda trashy.

I already got Reknoc last night.

I was thinking Chainspell might be nice, but I read that it might just decrease the cast time and not the delay between casts, which would definitely make it crap. If it allowed the automaton to cast back-to-back until it ran out of MP, it could be decent. Assuming it's smart enough not to start spamming aspir once it gets a little low.

Lhexh

I will be able to come to more events soon. I run Nyzul: U every Tues, Weds and Fri at 9 pm est. Besides that and work I am up to help anyone with anything.

Also if any of you guys would like some nyzul gear and play scholar with 400+ enhancing let me know. We need a scholar with Vent.

I was thinking Chainspell might be nice, but I read that it might just decrease the cast time and not the delay between casts, which would definitely make it crap. If it allowed the automaton to cast back-to-back until it ran out of MP, it could be decent. Assuming it's smart enough not to start spamming aspir once it gets a little low.

If you have the right attachments you wouldn't need aspir.

I will be able to come to more events soon. I run Nyzul: U every Tues, Weds and Fri at 9 pm est. Besides that and work I am up to help anyone with anything.

Also if any of you guys would like some nyzul gear and play scholar with 400+ enhancing let me know. We need a scholar with Vent.

If you're on sylph I'm interested, but only available Fridays. My sch is almost finished being geared and macroed specifically for that event. I'm planning to make a static with some friends eventually but experience is good. Who do you run with?

Reknoc

So apparently I shouldn't kill every mob I can? Which of course I don't find out until after I do it and look to see what Stygian Ash is worth (still not sure on that).

I don't think I'll ever stop learning something about this. It's pretty cool.

So apparently I shouldn't kill every mob I can? Which of course I don't find out until after I do it and look to see what Stygian Ash is worth (still not sure on that).

I don't think I'll ever stop learning something about this. It's pretty cool.

Pixies will actually cure you if you don't murder all their friends. The only reason to kill them (in normal zones) is to get stygian ash. Otherwise you can leave them be. Killing too many makes them angry and they will no longer cure you.

Other mobs with "special hate" include tonberries (which deal damage with their grudge moves based on how many of their friends you murder) and apkallu (which will become aggressive to everyone in the zone from a larger and larger radius the more you kill).

Bilix

For you guys just starting Abyssea, I recommend makings lists and more lists! I personally copied the whole FFXIclopedia page on atma and pasted it on a spreadsheet. That way I can highlight what I have and search them base on what stats I want. Plus the links work so I can easily check out where to get the atma. FFXIAH has a checklist you can use, but it won't tell you what the atmas do. It is nice for checking off abyssites though. You can also make small lists of mega bosses and Caturae you've defeated. It's a good way to keep track of stuff and quickly find out if you need to fight a NM or not if you see a shout.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Six and Chief, you should both have the sanguine spike from gukumatz. Use it for this quest.

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Destiny_Odyssey

Can you both point out which "stone production" abyssite you're missing?

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Ivory_abyssite_of_celerity <-- buy this asap if you have not yet
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Azure_abyssite_of_celerity
http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Crimson_abyssite_of_celerity

I passed on everything unless I knew I needed it. I didn't get a Sanguine Spike, but I did get a complete set of +2 items for NIN legs. It looks like soloing the +1s will be really damn easy even if I don't get limit break 10, (time spawn Too Weak spider NM) but I need to get 800 more Resistance credits for the base item. I could basically buy that off the AH, though... (turning in items) and get a large chunk of my gil back in cruor from the quest.

I just built Vunkerl fame and turned in a whisker about an hour before I read your post.
I'm only missing the tonberry one.

Loona

People link to the BG wiki? That's interesting.

The other one is full of annoying ads, even if it's a lot more complete for some issues, so for more focused information on endgame-ish stuff, the BG one now at least has a clean design it its favor.

If I'm checking for stuff like info on VW/Abyssea NMs and their weakness procs, I go to the BG wiki, if I'm checking for quest stuff and if some item I got is actually used on some quest (so I'll know if i want to sell it or keep it for later), FFXIclopedia it is.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
People link to the BG wiki? That's interesting.

Yeah... I haven't been there much, but a lot of mistakes jumped out at me, even as someone who didn't play for years.
Like that quest Pan linked to that involves Gukumatz lists another quest that involves trading a Lilac to a '???' as being before it in the quest line, but the page for the Lilac quest lists the Gukumatz one as being first.

Joei

The other one is full of annoying ads, even if it's a lot more complete for some issues, so for more focused information on endgame-ish stuff, the BG one now at least has a clean design it its favor.

I've had FF11 up with a few pages of FFxiclopedia running the background and my laptop has overheated because of all the ads and vids that site runs. Even with all the info it has, it's quite an annoying site.

So I decided to start leveling DNC the other day and went to 53 with DNC/MNK. DNC can be pretty fun and with MNK as the sub, she is a boss. My DPS is pretty high and I've ended up tanking or pulling hate in a lot of situations. The only issue is the low H2H skill, but I've kind of offset it wtih all the accuracy and attack gear and bonuses. Also, I don't seem to be gaining skill-ups with my H2H. I was fighting at CN and using myself as level sync for the party and the mobs are EP and the OP says EP and DC mobs give skill-ups, but that didn't seem to be the case.

I guess that can be a problem with this new style of leveling of up. You can take a character to 75 relatively easily, but they'll only have fighting skills of a 40 or 50 character. :/

Speaking of that, when did they put in GoV and FoV and how long ago did people start leveling up like this?

TAJ

The only thing that a web site can do to annoy me is have audio play automatically.

I guess that can be a problem with this new style of leveling of up. You can take a character to 75 relatively easily, but they'll only have fighting skills of a 40 or 50 character. :/

you mean the skill of a level 10-15 character. once people hit 10-13, its gusgen , then a ridiculously quick rise to 50 if they dont have the LB's taken care of.

TAJ

So... I soloed to 7/8 on +1 items for NIN leg and from 3/8 on MNK leg (three from Pan's Sobek farm) to 5/8.
Then Sac came out on BLM to proc like a true bro. :) MNK leg number 6. Then after many fruitless Ninjutsu spammings on my own, Kurayami: Ni proc'd yellow with Sac there.. >.< 8/8 7/8 Then I got kicked from Abyssea, lol. Well... not really, but I had less than 5 minutes left so I couldn't get back in.

Kokonoe

Banned
This is how I skill up Melee combat skills.

1-100 Qufim Island
Use the stronger monsters on the side, and an elemental is always the best choice for skill ups since they can take tons of hits.

Skill-Up Food Saltena

100-180-190 Xarcabard
It's almost always ice weather there, and you know what that means? Ice Elementals.
Depending on your job and level, you can leave it auto attacking an elemental and go do something else because it will take a bit for you to kill it.

Just be sure to check on the first two to see if your character is capable of surviving easily for periods of time without you doing anything.

Skill-Up Food Saltena

180-230 The Boyhda Tree (Kuftal Tunnel and Cape Terrigan are alternatives)
I first start up with a few spiders, then I'll work on crabs. If my character is 90-99, I'll skill up on Goobues as they tend to give me more skill ups.

Skill-Up Food Elshena

230+ Easiest way is Abyssea La Thiene worm parties as you can stack on TP atmas and double attack atmas and not really worry about healing too much.

Skill-Up Food Montagna

TAJ

Worms dies so fast, though. Not by your gimp melee skills, but by other alliance members.
/engage
/someone runs up and one-shots it
I hit 95 cap on NIN and MNK on Trimmers in Dangruf Wadi much, much, much faster than I was skilling in worm exp. I used Montagna part of my time there on NIN and skillups came amazingly fast.

Kokonoe

Banned
Quick tip, if you're skilling up Polearm or Katana, the occasionally attack weapons are easy to obtain. Polearm is on the AH for cheap, while the Katana can be gotten solo.

Worms dies so fast, though. Not necessarily by your gimp melee skills, but by other alliance members. I hit 95 cap on NIN and MNK on Trimmers in Dangruf Wadi much, much, much faster than I was skilling in worm exp.

Usually what you'll want to do is find worms that are away from the parties, but even when the crowd hangs over the mob you're fighting, I still manage to get skill ups. I prefer to skill up outside, but it's easier to skill up in Abyssea due to the atmas. (I like to give advice in ways that everyone can participate easily)

I skilled up Polearm off birds in Misareaux coast, and finished it off with Beetles in Garlaige Citadel.

Joei

This is how I skill up Melee combat skills.

1-100 Qufim Island
Use the stronger monsters on the side, and an elemental is always the best choice for skill ups since they can take tons of hits.

Skill-Up Food Saltena

100-180-190 Xarcabard
It's almost always ice weather there, and you know what that means? Ice Elementals.
Depending on your job and level, you can leave it auto attacking an elemental and go do something else because it will take a bit for you to kill it.

Just be sure to check on the first two to see if your character is capable of surviving easily for periods of time without you doing anything.

Skill-Up Food Saltena

180-230 The Boyhda Tree (Kuftal Tunnel and Cape Terrigan are alternatives)
I first start up with a few spiders, then I'll work on crabs. If my character is 90-99, I'll skill up on Goobues as they tend to give me more skill ups.

Skill-Up Food Elshena

230+ Easiest way is Abyssea La Thiene worm parties as you can stack on TP atmas and double attack atmas and not really worry about healing too much.

Skill-Up Food Montagna

Thanks a ton. This will definitely help. You know what I've noticed though, I've been leveling up in Bost. Ob., under Sandy, and I've seen that I tend to get a lot of skill-ups when the mob is focused on me. Obviously I'm going to get evasion and parry skill, but I've seen my weapon skill-ups seem to occur more that way as well. Also, I've done some soloing on EP mobs for coffer keys and I got crazy weapon skill-ups that way as well, much more so than when I'm leveling up on EP mobs. I assume that has to be by design.

Thanks a ton. This will definitely help. You know what I've noticed though, I've been leveling up in Bost. Ob., under Sandy, and I've seen that I tend to get a lot of skill-ups when the mob is focused on me. Obviously I'm going to get evasion and parry skill, but I've seen my weapon skill-ups seem to occur more that way as well. Also, I've done some soloing on EP mobs for coffer keys and I got crazy weapon skill-ups that way as well, much more so than when I'm leveling up on EP mobs. I assume that has to be by design.

The higher difficulty mobs have higher skill up rates. DC+ are best for capping skills. You used to have to cap skills in a party because it was only possible on EM+ mobs.

Joei

The higher difficulty mobs have higher skill up rates. DC+ are best for capping skills. You used to have to cap skills in a party because it was only possible on EM+ mobs.

Yeah, I remember skilling up before. The nice thing was that you could skill-up so quickly. You'd level up on VT-IT mobs and cap out your weapon before the second kill.

Oh and I leveled in Abyssea for the first time last night. I got invited to a La Theinne worm party. All I can say is wow. I went from 87 to maxed out on 90 (didn't have G9 completed) and got 25 merits in a few hours. Now I can see why leveling up is an issue of the past.

Azuran

Banned
Yeah, I remember skilling up before. The nice thing was that you could skill-up so quickly. You'd level up on VT-IT mobs and cap out your weapon before the second kill.

Oh and I leveled in Abyssea for the first time last night. I got invited to a La Theinne worm party. All I can say is wow. I went from 87 to maxed out on 90 (didn't have G9 completed) and got 25 merits in a few hours. Now I can see why leveling up is an issue of the past.

Welcome to the new FFXI lol, Skilling up in Aby is easy as well so don't worry too much if you're underdeveloped for bit.

Bilix

Anyone interested in doing normal Nyzul? I'm interested in unlocking some weapon skills. It shouldn't be too difficult to complete these days.

muu

Hey guys, I swear either I'm seeing things or I've been leveling up in South Gustaberg when I should be playing Dragon Quest X. This is what it looks like:

http://i.imgur.com/QQDai.jpg

Which, if my memory serves me correct, looks very similar to what you'd see looking down at the Quadav camp from ~G8 (under different lighting conditions). Any of you guys mind looking for me to see if I'm even close, and if it is, take a screen cap?

Carlisle

I just resubbed for the first time in a couple years. I've been hearing some sweet things over the time and I've finally been pushed back. Last time I was on was right after CoP came out. So from the sound of things the game is a lot more approachable and time efficient.

Also did a world transfer to Sylph so I can play with you kids. Let's see if I remember how to use my Paladin.

Edit: Christ, 9 hours to download updates. Then I'm guessing another several to get them installed. :(

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I just resubbed for the first time in a couple years. I've been hearing some sweet things over the time and I've finally been pushed back. Last time I was on was right after CoP came out. So from the sound of things the game is a lot more approachable and time efficient.

Also did a world transfer to Sylph so I can play with you kids. Let's see if I remember how to use my Paladin.

Edit: Christ, 9 hours to download updates. Then I'm guessing another several to get them installed. :(

I'd be shocked if it ends up taking half that long.

Joei

Has anyone did any Voidwatch quests? I got on today looking for something, anything to do and there was a person doing /shouts for tier 1 Zilart Voidwatch. I thought sweet, no one ever does any early voidwatch/abyssea quests or missions. I was able to start and finish VW1 Zilart and get the ring that sells for 1 mil+ out of it. I think another person got the Sava boots and the Prolix ring out of it. Anyways, there's some interesting items out of VW and they seem to be fairly "easy" to do. We did wipe a on some of the fights, but for the most part it wasn't too bad. Anyone ever get anything good from some of the later battles? I see the tier 3's and 4's offer some sweet items.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Has anyone did any Voidwatch quests? I got on today looking for something, anything to do and there was a person doing /shouts for tier 1 Zilart Voidwatch. I thought sweet, no one ever does any early voidwatch/abyssea quests or missions. I was able to start and finish VW1 Zilart and get the ring that sells for 1 mil+ out of it. I think another person got the Sava boots and the Prolix ring out of it. Anyways, there's some interesting items out of VW and they seem to be fairly "easy" to do. We did wipe a on some of the fights, but for the most part it wasn't too bad. Anyone ever get anything good from some of the later battles? I see the tier 3's and 4's offer some sweet items.

You can participate, and gain spoils from any voidwatch fight, regardless of your own progress, except for the final Providence fights. In order to participate in Providence, you need to clear all 4 tiers of each city, then the 6 tiers of Jeuno. Zilart, and ToAU are their own thing.

Joei

You can participate, and gain spoils from any voidwatch fight, regardless of your own progress, except for the final Providence fights. In order to participate in Providence, you need to clear all 4 tiers of each city, then the 6 tiers of Jeuno. Zilart, and ToAU are their own thing.

Really? I always see shouts but I never respond cause I'd never done any of them. I'm definitely gonna start doing more VW now. Oh I also just got done with Divine Might to get my Supp. earring. Did a Jeuno shout and got 3 BST to respond, and wow that fight was incredibly easy. I remember doing it at 75 cap and it was definitely not as easy as it was tonight.

MistaPita

Hello guys, Sadarani here, I just reactivated my account after 11 months of absence! I had a fling with FFXIV and a multitude of other games but I can never stay away from ffxi for too long.
Glad to see you guys are still around

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom