• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
So I've got my DRK at 95 and my PLD at 63. Trying to decide on which one I should focus on in terms of getting geared and upgrading Empyrean armor. Does anyone have a lot of experience with either?

Your DRK is going to be easier to bring to later content without monumental effort on your part. People are going to look for a relic or empyrean shield PLD most the time in endgame content. So unless you have the resources to get that started, you'll want to focus on drk as a "get into things" job. This is probably a "months from now" concern, but still a concern.

If you want to catalog your pop items on the LS spreadsheet, hit me up on guildwork and I'll get you the link. I have the framework laid our already.

We need pops for the following though:

Glavoid
Sedna
Kukulkan
Raja
Rani - When we do Rani, items will be locked by the brewer. I plan multiple pops.

Kandinsky

If you want to catalog your pop items on the LS spreadsheet, hit me up on guildwork and I'll get you the link. I have the framework laid our already.

We need pops for the following though:

Glavoid
Sedna
Kukulkan
Raja
Rani - When we do Rani, items will be locked by the brewer. I plan multiple pops.

From that list looks like I only have Kuku/Rani full pop sets, for Glavoid I only have Minhocao's KI and Sedna's pugil thing.

Midou

Sigh, I hate how every little thing I try to do seems to result in some amount of hours of farming. Was trying to get a Kaiser Sword from Dancing Weapons around Quifim for the map of the tower, since it seems to be good to have. I guess I'm still managing some skill-ups so that's good, but I killed something like 40-50 of them but it has a 5% chance and the only way to get it. Would rather just pay like 10k gil for the map.

It seems the sword occasionally pops up on AH but not in stock each time I checked.

Loona

Sigh, I hate how every little thing I try to do seems to result in some amount of hours of farming. Was trying to get a Kaiser Sword from Dancing Weapons around Quifim for the map of the tower, since it seems to be good to have. I guess I'm still managing some skill-ups so that's good, but I killed something like 40-50 of them but it has a 5% chance and the only way to get it. Would rather just pay like 10k gil for the map.

Maybe level thief to make it easier? Back then it took me a few kills to get it for the map, then farmed it later again to use on BLU before levelling THF - it is a pretty badass-looking sword, with the rugged texture it had.

Anyone know if there's a higher-level one with a similar look? i think I saw Mamool Ja mobs using something of the sort...

On the topic of gear, finally replaced my body piece, the level 75 reward from ACP, with a Delve body piece for my MNK - it looks horrible too, but I get some more Acc, Att and DEX to play with, not to mention my body won't be 24 levels behind, maybe this'll make it easier to tackle further content.

The delving has detracted a bit from the bayld aquisition though, and those wildskeeper key items still cost 95k for me...

BTW, I was checking the BG wiki for coalition assignments, and felt like organizing them by bayld earned with 1 imprimatour, since it gives a more bayld that way:

* Petitioner

Couriers
Support: Ceizak Battlegrounds

Inventors
Gather: Rala Waterways

Scouts
Survey: Ceizak Battlegrounds

* Probationer

Mummers
Boost: Foret de Hennetiel

* Petitioner

Pioneers
Procure: Ceizak Battlegrounds; Clear: Ceizak Battlegrounds

Mummers
Research: Rala Waterways

Inventors:
Gather: Ceizak Battlegrounds; Gather: Yahse Hunting Grounds

Peacekeepers
Preserve: Ceizak Battlegrounds

* Probationer

Couriers
Provide: Foret de Hennetiel; Provide: Morimar Basalt Fields

Peacekeepers
Patrol: Rala Waterways

Scouts
Survey: Sih Gates

* Petitioner

Peacekeepers
Preserve: Yahse Hunting Grounds

* Probationer

Pioneers:
Clear: Foret de Hennetiel; Clear: Morimar Basalt Fields

Mummers
Research: Ceizak Battlegrounds

Inventors
Gather: Sih Gates; Gather: Moh Gates

Peacekeepers
Patrol: Sih Gates; Patrol: Moh Gates

* Disciple

Pioneers
Procure: Foret de Hennetiel; Procure: Morimar Basalt Fields

Inventors
Gather: Foret de Hennetiel; Gather: Morimar Basalt Fields

Peacekeepers
Preserve: Foret de Hennetiel; Preserve: Morimar Basalt Fields

* Contributor

Scouts
Analyze: Foret de Hennetiel; Analyze: Morimar Basalt Fields

* Petitioner

Mummers
Recover: Ceizak Battlegrounds

* Disciple

Mummers
Recover: Foret de Hennetiel; Recover: Morimar Basalt Fields

Scouts
Survey: Foret de Hennetiel; Survey: Morimar Basalt Fields

* Contributor

Pioneers
Procure: Cirdas Caverns

Inventors
Gather: Cirdas Caverns

Peacekeepers
Preserve: Cirdas Caverns

* Contributor

Mummers
Research: Foret de Hennetiel; Research: Morimar Basalt Fields

* Contributor

Couriers
Deliver: Foret de Hennetiel; Deliver: Morimar Basalt Fields

Scouts
Survey: Cirdas Caverns

* Disciple

Couriers
Support: Foret de Hennetiel; Support: Morimar Basalt Fields

??? (these amounts aren't in the wiki or anywhere I've looked for either...)

* Contributor

Pioneers
Clear: Cirdas Caverns

As expected, the higher gains require higher standing, and most can't be soloed since they have reives blocking the way - still, a few observations:

* the highest you can get from a starter standing is 1500 from the Mummers' Recover task at Ceizak - might involve a lot of walking around and the occasional barrier, but on the other hand it 3 times the lowest starter tasks that grant you 500 bayld.

* all the starter standing tasks for the Peacekeepers are Lair Reives, which people seem to touch less and less :( (well, at least I don't see them under attack as often, but those nests do go down a lot faster than the walls, and nobody comes up if I camp one for a while, even with the area notifications...)

My usual routine has been to do a Couriers delivery to a Ceizak bivouac, then go to the Ergon Locus used in the GEO quest to do a Scouts survey, and if I get a reive in the way (only Colonization ones then to be in the path, on the way to the bivouac), join that to turn it in too when I return to town.

I should probably put more effort into the Mummers task ,but all that running around to find the possible spots have nothing on them gets frustrating.

To add to the multitasking factor I've been fighting chapuli after the Ergon Locus for wnigs for the Inventors (plau a bit of exp and shorts at guarding skill-ups), but now that I finally gathered 5 I'm switching to the twytherims - they're easier, and they also drop wind crystals, which I can use on the damn logs I keep getting from the reives (I avoid selling stuff I can craft with).

Take 3 imps at a time on lost articles, always.

Don't worry about finding it specifically, just tag the article when you come across it while doing other things. If you do it this way, and make it so you always have 3 imps on that quest, you'll never waste time looking for it, and it'll always be possible to grab it when you happen across one in the middle of reive's or something.

isual

Hey guys,

Its final exams week for me so I haven't been in game for a while. Hopefully I'll get magicite done soon

Loona

Take 3 imps at a time on lost articles, always.

Don't worry about finding it specifically, just tag the article when you come across it while doing other things. If you do it this way, and make it so you always have 3 imps on that quest, you'll never waste time looking for it, and it'll always be possible to grab it when you happen across one in the middle of reive's or something.

I always take on tasks when they're available except from Couriers, but only spend 1 imp, unless I've accumulated more than 10, in which case 3 it is - more bayld per imp, and stuff like survey and lost article get done when found during other things.

I just read Wildskeeper KI prices drop per every coalition you rank 4 on, so maybe focusing on 2 at a time per Ceizak trip isn't a terrible idea.

B.K.

How do I disable supersampling? I enabled it in Windower 4, but my PC can't handle it. I disabled it in the Windower 4 setup options and even uninstalled Windower 4 and am using an older version of the Windower, but supersampling is still enabled. I never can get abover 14fps.

Midou

How do I disable supersampling? I enabled it in Windower 4, but my PC can't handle it. I disabled it in the Windower 4 setup options and even uninstalled Windower 4 and am using an older version of the Windower, but supersampling is still enabled. I never can get abover 14fps.

Check out this article may need to change the background resolution x and y.

Also Wikipedia's featured article from today was FFXI, just noticed. :p

I always take on tasks when they're available except from Couriers, but only spend 1 imp, unless I've accumulated more than 10, in which case 3 it is - more bayld per imp, and stuff like survey and lost article get done when found during other things.

I just read Wildskeeper KI prices drop per every coalition you rank 4 on, so maybe focusing on 2 at a time per Ceizak trip isn't a terrible idea.

It's more efficient to spend 3 on lost article, because you won't turn them in often, so you can't spam it, and the return is high.

Seigyoku

Anniversary event has started.

I didn't start any of the quiz insanity for this year, but the OTHER moogles - not the ones with chests by them - the ones who tell you your stats (STILL 0 GM CALLS!) - will hand you your EXP ring the first time you talk to them.

Loona

Black Belt items are rank 4 Mog Bonanza marbles! SE finally gets it!

It is now the only prize I care about, all my gil, which isn't that much, is being saved to buy that damn egg, and people with more gil that I aren't being too successful at finding sellers, based on a few repeated shouts I've seen...

Loona

How do I effectively use this anniversary ring ?

I only get 10 xp at most in alliances

I intend to use it when starting my jobs that are still low (RUN and GEO), sending them immediately to Gusgen while the effect is active, and not leaving Gusgen while that's the case - since that won't use up all the loads, from then on it's a matter of Crawler's and Oubliette parties, since that effect doesn't work in Abyssea, but maybe there are more efficient strategies - for jobs that solo well, there most likely are.

isual

I intend to use it when starting my jobs that are still low (RUN and GEO), sending them immediately to Gusgen while the effect is active, and not leaving Gusgen while that's the case - since that won't use up all the loads, from then on it's a matter of Crawler's and Oubliette parties, since that effect doesn't work in Abyssea, but maybe there are more efficient strategies - for jobs that solo well, there most likely are.

Can you recharge the ring ?

Loona

Can you recharge the ring ?

Special anniversary rings can't be recharged - when an otem has infinite enchantment uses it lists the amount as 1 and limits them with a timar, like the special Halloween event staff that can warp you to your home point.

Midou

Had my first CN party, went well. It was quite efficient and people talked enough for it to bee entertaining. It turned into a lot of bee puns, until someone had a crawler up their ass and got mad.

Got to just under 61, so I can do my 56 limit break than gain a bit of exp and do the next one too hopefully.

Aumann

Hey guys I just made a new char Eumann on Sylph. I used to play in the ToAU days. I'm lvl 10 in Sandy and can't really travel far so if anyone can give me a Pearl thatd be appreciated. Thanks.

Beat Maat yesterday night :D
I read some strategy, so I did know what to do, more or less. And it was easy. Awkwardly easy, in fact. He was dead before my 2nd WS. I did't have time to use the Icarus Wing i bought before.

I entered, used 4 sleep potions with the Opo collar equipped. Then I ate food and went ahead. I made my pet (Chopsuey Chucky) to fight Maat's Pet (a firefly), so did I.
Just at the beginnging, he used his 2H, but i didn't realised it (I saw it later, because I recorded it). The pet hit me 2 times (one of them a critical hit), but died in seconds. Then we engaged Maat, and I used Barrage, making him lose 1/3 of his HP, and then Snarl to pass my hate to my pet.
After that, I retired and used 2 Hi-Potions+3 (because that critical hit of the "2 hour'd" pet took me almost 300HP), and when I came back, i saw he had another pet, but I ignored him. I used Reward just to prevent any surprise, and when i was going to use the Icarus Wing to do a 2nd WS... the battle ended. I was like 1 minute or so. It even surprised me lol

Anyway, another loadstone in my way passed. Now I aim for 75, and then I think I'll make as much of Chains of Promathia as I can.

isual

Welp. I just ended my sub for 11. It'll end on June 2nd.
2 months of playing for a couple of days a week burned me out.

I'll try to get magicite and probably white mage to 75 done; may as well get scholar too.

isual

So I got a PM from Aumann

Aumann said:
Hi, Ive been reading the FFXI thread for a while now and have recently gotten an urge to play FFXI again. I used to play back in 2007, had about 5 lvl 75's and a little bit of nice gear. I want to play again but it would pain me having to start over from scratch as I cant get my character back. I just started a new account with the 30 day free trial to check out how the game has changed since I quit. I read that you will no longer be playing and unsubscribing from the game so my question is, would you pass over the account to me and let me take over the subscription charges if the account will no longer be used? Let me know what you think. Thanks.

basically, I believe he wants me to give him my account and he'll pay for the sub with all my stuff.

what do you guys think ? If someone can vouch for him, I'll think about it. But I'm leaning towards a no.

Midou

I never understood the idea of playing someone else's character in the first place tbh.

With new levelling techniques it's quite easy to reach high levels fast, so it seems kind of pointless.

Plus if they find out about account trading/selling, the account will be banned and everyone loses.

So I got a PM from Aumann

basically, I believe he wants me to give him my account and he'll pay for the sub with all my stuff.

what do you guys think ? If someone can vouch for him, I'll think about it. But I'm leaning towards a no.

No, it's a dumb idea. Going to elaborate on this:

Why this is dumb for Isual:
- He may decide to play again later, and will not want to start over AGAIN.
- He'll be sharing potentially sensitive account information with someone he does not know personally

Why this is dumb for Aumann
- He's looking to purchase an account under the pretense of saving time and losing as little progress as possible. Not to belittle isual's accomplishments so far, but in the grand scheme of things, he hasn't even scratched the surface of what the game has to offer. Aumann can catch up in a matter of weeks.
- Isual is on another server, this would require a transfer if he wants to play with everyone he's playing with now. This is going to run a decent chunk of change, more than your monthly fee.

Aumann

When I used to play during the ToAU expansion it was still rather time consuming and tedious leveling multiple jobs to 75 and gearing up from dynamis, limbus, ground kings etc. I wanted to play again for the new expansion and saw someone mention they were quitting so I thought I'd ask if I could have the char instead of letting it rot. No harm in asking.

When I used to play during the ToAU expansion it was still rather time consuming and tedious leveling multiple jobs to 75 and gearing up from dynamis, limbus, ground kings etc. I wanted to play again for the new expansion and saw someone mention they were quitting so I thought I'd ask if I could have the char instead of letting it rot. No harm in asking.

It's still time consuming to do all of those things except leveling to 99. Considerably less so for dynamis than it used to be, but still very time consuming.

I'm not trying to discourage in any way whatsoever, but you should temper your expectations for being able to jump right in to the new content.

You'll be able to participate in the campaign style stuff relatively quickly, and likely the storyline / quest content (missions are few at the moment and just require running around) but the real endgame content like skirmish and delve will likely be out of your reach until you have geared up and skilled up significantly.

isual

Hey Aumann.

Didn't mean to put you on the spot. I just wanted people's advice on what to do. Sorry if you got offended in any way. Also, I don't think I can lend you my account too.

oh yeah. I will play again definitely, and I really don't like to start over again.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
My sub runs out in two days, so I think I'm all done with the game. I didn't make it very far but it was decently fun along the way. Thanks for the help everyone.

Just wanted to talk a little bit about community sites for those of you who are still playing actively.

There are several very useful community sites which make it easier to manage (and be a part of) group content, and track your progress in game.

FFXIAH - Auction house tracker, also tracks progress
Guildwork - MMO social networking site, incredibly useful
Linkshell Community - SE's Official LS community site

The reason I haven't talked about these until now, is that the official Linkshell Community has been under maintenance since the release of Adoulin. Guildwork and FFXIAH both rely on data from the LSCommunity heavily, and signing up for them is a BIT more of a hassle because it's down. I encourage you to do so anyway.

If you want to participate (or participate eventually) in IHOP events, be sure to get registered on Guildwork, and let me know what your username is so I can send you an invite manually. This will allow you to have access to the event calendar, gear tracking spreadsheet, and other useful tools, as well as give you an avenue to receive notifications when someone posts to the IHOP page or forum (barely use the forum at the moment but that could change).

Jathaine

So... I was just given a free copy of the game but it doesn't have Seekers of Adoulin. I'll have all the expansions and content just short of that.

Is it worth trying out for the free month this way or should I just not bother?

So... I was just given a free copy of the game but it doesn't have Seekers of Adoulin. I'll have all the expansions and content just short of that.

Is it worth trying out for the free month this way or should I just not bother?

All of the content in Adoulin is designed for players who have reached the level cap, and are equipped appropriately. You'll have no shortage of things to do on your way to reaching that point should you decide to give it a whirl.

If you wind up liking it, I would grab Adoulin asap, as there are a few things you can do just running around town that will improve the quality of life in the rest of the game immensely. Not to mention if you don't have a code for the destrier beret, aka the magic hat, you'll want to get the pack that includes it for messing around at low levels.

Besides the hat, which is just a reward code, nothing from Adoulin is going to be immediately accessible, so don't sweat not having it.

creid

If you want to participate (or participate eventually) in IHOP events, be sure to get registered on Guildwork, and let me know what your username is so I can send you an invite manually.
I'm Creid on Guildwork, but I only signed up recently so my character info isn't really there.

Tomat

Sorry to see you go! And save your account info this time in case you come back later :p

I will for sure. Haven't even uninstalled it. The game isn't that bad, it's definitely got a slow start but it's also not really like any MMO I have played before.

I'd hop back on board if my buddy resubs; he got sick so he hasn't been able to play, and the plan was for us to be levelin bros and stuff.

I've had an EVE Online starter pack sitting around here since December so I'm gonna give that a go for a month. If I don't like that I may just go ahead and resub for FFXI.

Jathaine

All of the content in Adoulin is designed for players who have reached the level cap, and are equipped appropriately. You'll have no shortage of things to do on your way to reaching that point should you decide to give it a whirl.

If you wind up liking it, I would grab Adoulin asap, as there are a few things you can do just running around town that will improve the quality of life in the rest of the game immensely. Not to mention if you don't have a code for the destrier beret, aka the magic hat, you'll want to get the pack that includes it for messing around at low levels.

Besides the hat, which is just a reward code, nothing from Adoulin is going to be immediately accessible, so don't sweat not having it.

Fortunately, the pack that I got has a code for that.
Its the Abyssea Edition but the codes just never got used.

Fortunately, the pack that I got has a code for that.
Its the Abyssea Edition but the codes just never got used.

Oh great, then you have everything you need to start. Consider Adoulin once you have a level 99 under your belt and you want access to some cheap but surprisingly decent gear.

I will for sure. Haven't even uninstalled it. The game isn't that bad, it's definitely got a slow start but it's also not really like any MMO I have played before.

I'd hop back on board if my buddy resubs; he got sick so he hasn't been able to play, and the plan was for us to be levelin bros and stuff.

I've had an EVE Online starter pack sitting around here since December so I'm gonna give that a go for a month. If I don't like that I may just go ahead and resub for FFXI.

It's definitely an obtuse game at first, but you have to kinda peel back it's layers like an onion. The deeper you go, the easier things get. From getting around the world, to gearing and leveling your second job, etc.

Tomat

It's definitely an obtuse game at first, but you have to kinda peel back it's layers like an onion. The deeper you go, the easier things get. From getting around the world, to gearing and leveling your second job, etc.

Yup. There's still a hell of a lot I don't know about the game but even in the short time that I've played it I can already see the improvement compared to my first day.

isual

you guys were awesome. I'll be back definitely in a month or two. But for now, I'm still reeling over the xbox 1's sillyness

take it easy bros.

Loona

Next 2x XP weekend starts a week from Thursday, so it seems they're keeping a regular schedule. Exactly 8 weeks between each one. I'll have to be sure to unlock some more advanced jobs by then.

Compounded with the Undecennial Ring to boot... I'm not sure Gusgen, Crawler's Nest and the Oubliette can handle the load by themselves, even if they're not optimal for the occasion.

creid

Compounded with the Undecennial Ring to boot... I'm not sure Gusgen, Crawler's Nest and the Oubliette can handle the load by themselves, even if they're not optimal for the occasion.
Don't the bulk of XP gains in those alliances come from the books though? Since book XP isn't doubled, I've just been using these weekends to make 1-15 less painful.

Midou

Is it too late to get whatever anniversary boost ring? I was doing a lot of running around and forgot about it. Where would it be?

Kokonoe

Banned
Is it too late to get whatever anniversary boost ring? I was doing a lot of running around and forgot about it. Where would it be?

http://wiki.bluegartr.com/bg/Adventurer_Appreciation_Campaign_2013

Event Schedule

The Adventurer Appreciation Campaign will run from Thursday, May 16, 2013, at 1:00 a.m. until Thursday, May 30, 2013, at 7:59 a.m. (PDT)

Event Moogle Locations
Southern San d'Oria (J-9) / Northern San d'Oria (D-8) / Bastok Mines (H-9) / Bastok Markets (G-8) / Windurst Waters (North) (F-5) / Windurst Woods (K-10)

Jathaine

I should be joining you guys soon! I'm downloading the updates for the game right now.
If the name is available... my character's name will be Ariah.

creid

Thanks, I didn't quite know how to search it on the Wiki. Was using wiki.ffxiclopedia and they have a terrible search. Sometimes I type san d'Oria and see it pop up but when I hit enter, no results, other times it works properly.
After getting the ring you should be able to get an additional gift every day.

Thanks, I didn't quite know how to search it on the Wiki. Was using wiki.ffxiclopedia and they have a terrible search. Sometimes I type san d'Oria and see it pop up but when I hit enter, no results, other times it works properly.

Search is case-sensitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom