• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2013 Seekers of Adoulin |OT| Go West, Young Adventurer!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok. i'm levelling my samurai, but my monk is 170 hand to hand. Now, if I buy a weapon/gear that is close to level 70, can that help compensate my low hand to hand while I skill up in the boyahda tree ?

The level of the weapon is irrelevant unless it happens to have +acc on it. You'll want to look at getting food like sushi for an acc bonus

Ok. i'm levelling my samurai, but my monk is 170 hand to hand. Now, if I buy a weapon/gear that is close to level 70, can that help compensate my low hand to hand while I skill up in the boyahda tree ?

Darn that's pretty low for hand to hand...hopefully you'll have more luck against Maat next time.

Tomat

Wanna hear a good joke? Waste your time helping me! LOL!
Saw this in the Windower installer
FFXI Terms of Use Reminder
By accepting this agreement, you acknowledge that the Windower program violates the Final Fantasy XI Terms of use and may result in suspension or termination of your Final Fantasy XI account if you are caught using it.

Does SE not really care all that much? I'm assuming if this is widely used then people must not really get in trouble for it.

Husker86

start a new, i think that's what im doing lol

If I come back I wouldn't start over. I have a PLD76 and NIN75 with WAR and BRD somewhere in the 60s and random subjobs leveled (well, for when the cap was 75). Plus random key items and quests completed...I just couldn't do it.

I know leveling is faster now, but nostalgia is what is bringing me back and I'd lose it if I ditched my character that I put in something like 270 days playtime on.

Does SE not really care all that much? I'm assuming if this is widely used then people must not really get in trouble for it.

I wouldn't worry about that at all.

Loona

with gear i bought from the AH, am i supposed to resell it again at the AH once I upgrade again ?

I tend to keep it if it's usable on other jobs util they no longer need it - but then again, I tend to have trouble with inventory space, and months ago levelled a bunch of jobs to be able to sell low-level gear...

For some reason the game keeps DC'ing on me today, odd... and I'm supposed to be getting those 100k bayld for the LS's weekend Naakual fight...

Tomat

Just tried playing with a keyboard again... holy hell Square Enix what were you doing?

Husker86

That's weird. I played on PS2 when it launched until my PS2 got tired and died and after switching to PC i loved the keyboard controls after I got used to it. I don't know how you smash out macros when using a controller. Plus chatting and such is easy since my hands are already there.

I couldn't play FFXIV when it came out because the keyboard controls didn't work like XI.

Husker86

wait so do people prefer the controller or the keyboard?

Apparently quite a few do. I loved the keyboard controls (mostly for quick macro triggering and easy chatting). Numpad movement + arrow key camera controls is easy. Hell, I could still probably get everywhere in the menu with my eyes closed...finger muscle memory for that is burned in my brain.

To make it better, Windower has/had a plugin for Logitech keyboards with macro keys so I could trigger custom-written macros on my 18 extra keys with one button push. Full gear swap (no 6-line limit) with one button was awesome.

wait so do people prefer the controller or the keyboard?

I actually prefer the kb controls but I understand that it's quite an odd preference. The one thing I like about the gamepad controls is the d-pad targeting but otherwise I like not having to put a controller down to type. I also like using the numpad for most things while having my thumb on the arrow keys for the camera.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket

Given the main purpose of windower is lengthy macros and require input, I really think SE is well aware just how many people use windower. But I imagine they've learned the vast majority of players use it, and it's a pretty innocent program, only improving the user interface with the game. It's not like a fishbot program or something that kind of breaks the game.

Aeana

Given the main purpose of windower is lengthy macros and require input, I really think SE is well aware just how many people use windower. But I imagine they've learned the vast majority of players use it, and it's a pretty innocent program, only improving the user interface with the game. It's not like a fishbot program or something that kind of breaks the game.
There's a GM who posts screenshots on Guildwork and you can clearly see Attainment at the bottom of his shots, heh.

elohel

Apparently quite a few do. I loved the keyboard controls (mostly for quick macro triggering and easy chatting). Numpad movement + arrow key camera controls is easy. Hell, I could still probably get everywhere in the menu with my eyes closed...finger muscle memory for that is burned in my brain.

To make it better, Windower has/had a plugin for Logitech keyboards with macro keys so I could trigger custom-written macros on my 18 extra keys with one button push. Full gear swap (no 6-line limit) with one button was awesome.

what are some examples of macros you would use in the game?

im not familiar with....high level stuff lol so I have no idea how the flow of combat at upper levels affects controls requirements if that makes sense

Loona

I don't use Windower, but it almost feels like an encouragement to use it when the coalition assignments about investigating Ergon Locus spots mention issues with distance, which is nearly impossible to accurately access, but apparently can be viewed with Windower or at least some add-on to it...

Tomat

Played for a bit tonight, made a Tarutaru named Okyokyo on Slyph. Picked the Thief job to start, not sure how I feel about it so far. Probably too early to tell since Im only level 6. Died brutally twice already, lol. Not quite used to the controls yet either; trying to select my friend's target while they're in combat is a pain.

Lots of learnin to do with this game, basically have no idea whats going on save for the killing monsters :p

Husker86

what are some examples of macros you would use in the game?

im not familiar with....high level stuff lol so I have no idea how the flow of combat at upper levels affects controls requirements if that makes sense

FFXI is heavily dependent on gear swaps to get the most out of weaponskills and such. For example, there is gear (back when 75 was cap) that had high STR and DEX but it had +Slow percentage on it. If you wore that full time, the delay of your attacks would be longer. With gear swaps, you could swap that in just for your weaponskill, then swap back to your normal attack gear.

There is definitely less button mashing than, say, World of Warcraft, since most of FFXI battles (for melee at least) consists of auto attack.

I'd also add in things like /recast "Utsusemi: Ichi" in a line on my Utsu macro which would give me a timer in my chat log of how long the recast is for that spell. In the same macro I'd swap in Haste gear that might not normally be part of my normal attack gear to make the recast of that spell be lower.

I personally macro'd everything. I never selected abilities or spells from the menu as I would quickly memorize the macro (or key in the case of my Logitech keyboard with programmable keys) and be able to execute abilities/spells without having to scroll through anything.

So for weapons skills you could have a macro that was /ws "Fast Blade" <t> and that would allow you to use that weaponskill with just a click of whatever macro you have it programmed to (Ctrl+1, Alt+1, etc.).

Job abilites are /ja. So /ja "Provoke" <t> would provoke your target, or /ja "Sentinel" <me> would use Sentinel on yourself.

Magic is /ma (I think...my memory is slowly fading)

Played for a bit tonight, made a Tarutaru named Okyokyo on Slyph. Picked the Thief job to start, not sure how I feel about it so far. Probably too early to tell since Im only level 6. Died brutally twice already, lol. Not quite used to the controls yet either; trying to select my friend's target while they're in combat is a pain.

Lots of learnin to do with this game, basically have no idea whats going on save for the killing monsters :p

Make a macro with /assist <t>

If you have your friend targeted and execute that macro, it will shift your target to what he/she is attacking.

Is it possible to use macros on a controller?

Normally, for the console versions, the L & R triggers act as the ALT & CTRL keys and you use the D-pad to select which macro you want to execute while holding one of those buttons down. I don't use a controller so I forget the level of customization.

Tomat

Out of curiosity, are there any bad jobs that should be avoided?

Bladenic

Out of curiosity, are there any bad jobs that should be avoided?

Apparently not anymore. Back when I last played (forever ago, like 2006-07) there were some jobs that were considered nigh useless like Dragoon or jobs that weren't that useful until end game like Summoner. But they seemed to have fixed all that now.

Midou

Might be a weird thing to confirm, but subjobs cap in reference to the new 99 max now right? So I guess 49?

I used to always make class plans based on a subjob hitting 35 as would be obvious I suppose.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Jailer of Hope said:
Normally, for the console versions, the L & R triggers act as the ALT & CTRL keys and you use the D-pad to select which macro you want to execute while holding one of those buttons down. I don't use a controller so I forget the level of customization.

On PC controller is fully customizable. For example I have an old PS2 pad hooked up via USB and pop up the macro palettes by clicking down on the analogue sticks (L3/R3 buttons).

All navigation of menues is done with d-pad, left stick to move, right stick camera. Works for me.

Amneisac

So I eventually decided to reactivate my old account (it has everything but SoA), and in a way I'm glad I did, I have over 400k gil and a full set of nice gear for a 60dnc/30nin, I have several jobs leveled up to 50+ and all that, so I was going to transfer it to Sylph.

I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO MAKE A STUPID CLICK AND BUY ACCOUNT!? Ugh, I really don't know if I want to go through with that. I had one from FFXIV and I finally got it closed, I really don't want to make another one. I can't believe you can't pay for world transfers with a credit card.

Anyways, for the meantime you can go ahead and break Motherboy's pearl, and if/when I get this sorted and get transferred I'll add my name to the spreadsheet.

I guess it's also worth asking, is there a GAF presence on Asura? Anyone recruiting on there?

So I eventually decided to reactivate my old account (it has everything but SoA), and in a way I'm glad I did, I have over 400k gil and a full set of nice gear for a 60dnc/30nin, I have several jobs leveled up to 50+ and all that, so I was going to transfer it to Sylph.

I SERIOUSLY HAVE TO MAKE A STUPID CLICK AND BUY ACCOUNT!? Ugh, I really don't know if I want to go through with that. I had one from FFXIV and I finally got it closed, I really don't want to make another one. I can't believe you can't pay for world transfers with a credit card.

Anyways, for the meantime you can go ahead and break Motherboy's pearl, and if/when I get this sorted and get transferred I'll add my name to the spreadsheet.

I guess it's also worth asking, is there a GAF presence on Asura? Anyone recruiting on there?

You shouldn't need click and buy, no.

Amneisac

You shouldn't need click and buy, no.

I have a valid credit card on my account, I used it to pay my sub fees, but when I go to transfer and I get to the page to actually pay for the service, the only two available options are Click and Buy or Crysta (which as I understood it I could only pay for Crysta with Click and Buy or some other thing that looked sketchy).

I have a valid credit card on my account, I used it to pay my sub fees, but when I go to transfer and I get to the page to actually pay for the service, the only two available options are Click and Buy or Crysta (which as I understood it I could only pay for Crysta with Click and Buy or some other thing that looked sketchy).

You should be able to buy crysta with your cc directly now.

Seigyoku

It may be a region thing, but I hit Ultimate Play or whatever it is called and then just buy crysta with my CC. Aur's account just gets charged to the same CC from when he started.

Oddly I did have to use Click and Buy once. To order FFXI merchandise lol.

Amneisac

Okay, it does look like I can use this Ultimate Buy thing with PayPal without having to register for an account or anything, so I'll do that. Sylph, here I come! (again)

And - finished. So as complicated as the process ultimately was the transfer went by quickly. I'm sure I'll have to pick out a new name and all that junk so I'll update the spreadsheet after I get it all fixed.

Thanks for your help, Pan.

Okay, it does look like I can use this Ultimate Buy thing with PayPal without having to register for an account or anything, so I'll do that. Sylph, here I come! (again)

And - finished. So as complicated as the process ultimately was the transfer went by quickly. I'm sure I'll have to pick out a new name and all that junk so I'll update the spreadsheet after I get it all fixed.

Thanks for your help, Pan.

No prob. I had to use one of those cards one time to buy a month do they could a friend to help another friend lol. FFXI is complicated.

isual

today's progress:

levelled up samurai from 35 to 54 at the crawler's nest, my Great katana skill is at 145. Man, levelling that GK up took quite a bit of time.

I started at around 4pm PST and ended around 11pm. Almost 7 hours. Is that average now ? Sans the fact that it's easier to level grind, but holy crap.

today's progress:

levelled up samurai from 35 to 54 at the crawler's nest, my Great katana skill is at 145. Man, levelling that GK up took quite a bit of time.

I started at around 4pm PST and ended around 11pm. Almost 7 hours. Is that average now ? Sans the fact that it's easier to level grind, but holy crap.

What server are you on again?

Amneisac

So now when I get it all started back up I get to work on Magicite and LB3, yay!

Looks like they made some of the limit breaks easier (got that from the OP, thanks!) but I guess this one is still the same? Such a pain the neck!

Is dancer still kind of a joke (that's my highest job at 60, waiting on limit break)? I really enjoy playing it and it's great for some of the easier solo content (at least it was) but is it useless in the later-game content?

Loona

An LS mate kept taking her dancer to major Morimar reive grinds, shouldn't be a problem to persist with the job.

So now when I get it all started back up I get to work on Magicite and LB3, yay!

Looks like they made some of the limit breaks easier (got that from the OP, thanks!) but I guess this one is still the same? Such a pain the neck!

Is dancer still kind of a joke (that's my highest job at 60, waiting on limit break)? I really enjoy playing it and it's great for some of the easier solo content (at least it was) but is it useless in the later-game content?

Dancer is a great solo / mission job, and works well in some endgame / group situations where autonomy is important.

Like all jobs in the game, you won't be able to, and shouldn't expect to be able to, bring it to everything. If you put the effort into it though, it'll be viable to use it more times than not.

That's actually kind of an important thing. This isn't a one class game, at all. You should definitely be prepared to (eventually) level more than one job, and a multitude of subjobs for those jobs. Especially true if you're interested in some of the tougher group content that comes down the line!

Seigyoku

That's actually kind of an important thing. This isn't a one class game, at all. You should definitely be prepared to (eventually) level more than one job, and a multitude of subjobs for those jobs. Especially true if you're interested in some of the tougher group content that comes down the line!

True but... NO FORCE IN THIS UNIVERSE IS GOING TO MAKE ME PLAY WHM! *runs*

Leaping

Neo Member
Cool, then I will defo sub WHM on my RDM.

For what it's worth, once you hit 99, the only real reasons to /whm on rdm is tele spells and stona. Unless you really need either of those, /sch will give you everything else /whm does and other stuff as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom