• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XI 2014 |OT| Kumhau, The Blackthorne Coven, and the Mog Wardrobe.

ZetaEpyon

Ugh. Why the hell do they make limited time Trusts only obtainable via purchase with restricted gain currency. I'm not sure if I'll be able to buy Ovjang and Mnejing with the remaining IDs I have before Wednesday.

If you're coming up short, do you have copper vouchers from RoE that you can use? Those will give you 1000 assault points of your choice, if you want to go that route.

Feep

Banned
I logged in for the first time in eight years today. Memories...

Though the entire world seems to be completely abandoned, I'm sure it's because everyone is hanging in new zones that I have no idea about. (Ifrit was merged into Odin at some point, apparently.)

Just enjoying the nostalgia for awhile; no plans to really start again.

ZetaEpyon

Though the entire world seems to be completely abandoned, I'm sure it's because everyone is hanging in new zones that I have no idea about. (Ifrit was merged into Odin at some point, apparently.)

Populations are definitely slowly shrinking; I'm sure that's a fair bit of the reason behind this blitz of campaigns from SE. On Sylph at least, people tend to idle in Port Jeuno or the new city, Adoulin.

Seigyoku

Odin is considered to be one of the high-population servers, so yeah, you weren't in any of the hangouts!

Still possibly my favorite game of all time. No other MMO can compare to it for me in terms of its depth and the feeling of a real existing world. Maybe some of the older ones compare (Ultima, EQ, etc.) but no modern MMO has held a candle to it.

I refuse to get sucked back in though.

Haha how I felt. Was tempted to revisit on the free weekend but that's too dangerous

MoosiferX

Gahhh! There's only like, a day left of amazing campaigns. I need to go buy all the Wildskeeper Reive items super cheap again this afternoon.

How are some of you guys making gil as of late? I'm primarily just selling High Purity Bayld and Lair Reive items. The tri-fecta of Lair Reives in Marjami are amazing with my Dragoon. I LOVE ME SOME BIRDS.

Seigyoku

Any recommendation on Trusts that you can purchase with the Red Mog Pell?

The Moogle if you don't have it.

Gahhh! There's only like, a day left of amazing campaigns. I need to go buy all the Wildskeeper Reive items super cheap again this afternoon.

How are some of you guys making gil as of late? I'm primarily just selling High Purity Bayld and Lair Reive items. The tri-fecta of Lair Reives in Marjami are amazing with my Dragoon. I LOVE ME SOME BIRDS.

And yes, a reminder that almost ALL the Idyllic Vana'diel events end EARLY tomorrow morning. Pick up your Trusts, get your Atma, buy your KIs, get some exp in etc etc.

And don't ask me how to make money. I spent all my money last Friday getting my harp to 95. Now I can't afford Riftcinders but HEY, none exist on Sylph anyway!

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I know the Moogle is the most useful of the 3 anniversary Trusts I missed......but come on. How am i supposed to pass up Aldo. He was the first character I wanted when I heard about Trusts.

Now Fablinix, Moogle, Mumor, Maat and Ingrid are the only ones left. I was hoping Maat would be buyable with the Pell to bypass having to level 4 more jobs.

Rawk Hawk

What bad luck I have, just thought about this game and wanted to read up and see how everyone was still doing.. but appears I just missed the free week to log back in. Looks like a lot of pretty cool changes though.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
So I ran the Saga of the Sky Serpent quest line the other day because it had those 2 Serpent General Trusts. I didn't even know the quest existed before then. It's a great storyline. Is there a similar questline for the Campaign generals that flesh their story out?

Loona

So I ran the Saga of the Sky Serpent quest line the other day because it had those 2 Serpent General Trusts. I didn't even know the quest existed before then. It's a great storyline. Is there a similar questline for the Campaign generals that flesh their story out?

Some of the campaign generals appear during the main WotG missions and the nation quests between them, like this one Bastok scholar, Adelheid, I think, and Noillurie fro San d'Oria, and some of the freelancers were already known characters from other quests, but from what I recall there's no direct equivalent to the serpent general quests.

Adoulin seems to have at least one quest (line) related to each of the major authority figures in its setting though.

Had not posted this one yet.

Alter Ego Expo Redux!
13112.jpg

Ever tried to tackle a fearsome NM solo and just barely not get over that hump? Then great ready for a glorious victory, as the Alter Ego Expo is making a comeback starting Wednesday, September 24!

Expo Period:
Wednesday, September 24, 2014 at 11:00 p.m. (PDT) to Thursday, October 9 at 7:00 a.m.

Alter egos will receive the following improvements for the duration of the event.
- Maximum HP and MP will be increased by a factor of 1.5.
- A strong resistance to status ailments will be granted.

Let your closest NPC friends come to the rescue and support all your adventuring activities, whether busting heads in Sarutabaruta or pressing forward with the latest Seekers of Adoulin missions!

ZetaEpyon

More alter egos en route!
Announcing the Autumn Alter Ego Extravaganza (09/22/2014)

Announcing an all-new Alter Ego Extravaganza, coming to Vana'diel starting on Tuesday, September 30!

Three new alter egos make their debut in this fantastic celebration of all things Trust, so get your hands on them before it's too late!

Rahal, Commander of the Royal Knights!
Koru-Moru, the lovelorn professor!
Cid, master of war machines!

Also featured in this campaign are three alter egos returning from the spring extravagana. If you missed them the first time around, now's your chance to snag them before they disappear!

Vana'diel's most prestigious chocobo chick, Sakura!
The red menace, Ovjang!
The reticent protector, Mnejing!

Extravaganza Period: Tuesday, September 30, 2014 at 8:00 a.m. (PDT) to Friday, October 31 at 7:59 a.m.

Details on how to acquiring these powerful mirror images will be made public on this page when the extravaganza commences.

Reveirg

Oh man, I've always regretted not playing any expansion packs beyond CoP.

Tempted to come back, but I have a few questions if anyone's willing to answer...

-I bought and activated the 360 version a while back. Is it possible for me to use that license to play on PC?

-How slow is the game now? After playing ARR, I'm worried I won't be able to bear with the slow pace I remember this game for.

-Is it possible to solo at all?

-Is there some kind of duty finder?

Basically, I'm looking to go through the story at a reasonable pace.

ZetaEpyon

Oh man, I've always regretted not playing any expansion packs beyond CoP.

Tempted to come back, but I have a few questions if anyone's willing to answer...

-I bought and activated the 360 version a while back. Is it possible for me to use that license to play on PC?

Yes, the license is just for your account, not a particular version of the game. You can download the PC client directly from SE: http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/download/media/install_win.html

Edit: Hmm, they must have changed the page, I'm not seeing how to actually download it. That said, the point remains, and if you get a copy of the client, you can use your old account.

-How slow is the game now? After playing ARR, I'm worried I won't be able to bear with the slow pace I remember this game for.
What pace are you referring to? Leveling? Combat? Something else?

Leveling is faster than it's ever been, combat is still largely the same pace as it has been.

-Is it possible to solo at all?
Easily, especially now with the Trust system. You can basically summon three NPCs to fight with you. At max level, all of the story except the newest expansion is pretty easily soloable. You can probably solo level all the way to 99 if you want to, but there's obviously faster ways in a group.

-Is there some kind of duty finder?
No, not really. Like before, people will form groups with friends and/or shout in the main cities for party members for stuff that requires a group.

Basically, I'm looking to go through the story at a reasonable pace.
Absolutely doable. Most of the real-life day waits and such have been removed from the older mission chains at this point as well, so there are fewer artificial restrictions on how fast you can progress through them.

If you do decide to give it a shot, most of us are on the Sylph server, and new and returning players are always welcome in the shell.

Reveirg

That all sounds good! Thanks for the answer and I'll definitely join you guys on Sylph once I'm ready to dive back in =)

EDIT: Hmmm... I can't seem to find the download link on the page?

ZetaEpyon

Yeah, you replied before I got my edit in:

Hmm, they must have changed the page, I'm not seeing how to actually download it. That said, the point remains, and if you get a copy of the client, you can use your old account.

Seigyoku

The D/L link was only there until the Welcome Back campaign ended.

The sale on the game/SoA is about to end if anyone wants to pick up a cheap set of codes.

I'd write more useful things but my neck is in agony.

When are you guys planning on starting Dynamis clears?

Not sure, still working on vw stuff, will probably work them in randomly when we get bored / people who need them are around. VW is profitable and fun atm. Some folks have vacations and such coming up so once all that stabilizes maybe.

Another ls extended an invitation to IHOP folks who may need VW clears. Posted it on gw and posting it here too.

Creepious has an LS that runs vw clears at 7:30 pm est on wed. and has extended an invite if anyone is interested. They are doing Jeuno t1-3 starting tomorrow. Send him a tell if interested.

Reveirg

Well, popped back in for the first time in 6 years.

I used to have a lvl75 whm back in the days but that character's long gone. I'm now stuck with a san d'orian rank 5, level 23 PLD.

I have no idea which content I should tackle to progress. I would rather level through missions along with Trust NPCs than grind my way through 99.

Is there some kind of chart/roadmap that shows which missions can be done with Trusts at which level?

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I have no idea which content I should tackle to progress. I would rather level through missions along with Trust NPCs than grind my way through 99.

Is there some kind of chart/roadmap that shows which missions can be done with Trusts at which level?

The basic method hasn't changed much, essentially up to 75 its still all about the grind interspersed with questing for stuff that globally benefits your character; Sub-job unlock, chocobo license, AF quests, Limit breaks, etc. This is basically unavoidable as you need to fight constantly in order to keep your skills capped and to earn gil for gear and sundries.

The big difference is that these days you don't need a party to make fast xp. Roll with trusts, using appopriate Record Of Eminence tasks set, and using Grounds/Fields Of Valor camps wherever you can.

Its really fast nowadays, and pretty rewarding because as you explore the world you'll acquire homepoints and outposts that will make future travel instant and easy. Unlocking (by visiting) new zones is important, especially city/town areas.

In the final analysis, most general quests and missions largely exist to allow the player to gain gear/weapons, and as such RoE/GoV/FoV are a complete replacement for players levelling back up from scratch. So don't worry too much about them.

The real crucial stuff are things like the sub-job unlock quests, and the limit breaks that start at 50+. A Chocobo licence is nice to have, but these days its no longer essential. Airship pass even more so, as you can get by very easily with just the cheap pass to Kazham as that gives you access to Elshimo.

Once you get to 75 then a ton of options will open up, 76-98 is a second grind, but at 99 it becomes an almost completely different game and in the process renders virtually everything thats gone before trivial.

Loona

In the final analysis, most general quests and missions largely exist to allow the player to gain gear/weapons, and as such RoE/GoV/FoV are a complete replacement for players levelling back up from scratch. So don't worry too much about them.

Such blasphemy - some of us play for the stories and setting.

Reveirg

The basic method hasn't changed much, essentially up to 75 its still all about the grind interspersed with questing for stuff that globally benefits your character; Sub-job unlock, chocobo license, AF quests, Limit breaks, etc. This is basically unavoidable as you need to fight constantly in order to keep your skills capped and to earn gil for gear and sundries.

The big difference is that these days you don't need a party to make fast xp. Roll with trusts, using appopriate Record Of Eminence tasks set, and using Grounds/Fields Of Valor camps wherever you can.

Its really fast nowadays, and pretty rewarding because as you explore the world you'll acquire homepoints and outposts that will make future travel instant and easy. Unlocking (by visiting) new zones is important, especially city/town areas.

The real crucial stuff are things like the sub-job unlock quests, and the limit breaks that start at 50+. A Chocobo licence is nice to have, but these days its no longer essential. Airship pass even more so, as you can get by very easily with just the cheap pass to Kazham as that gives you access to Elshimo.

Once you get to 75 then a ton of options will open up, 76-98 is a second grind, but at 99 it becomes an almost completely different game and in the process renders virtually everything thats gone before trivial.

Thanks for the answer!

-Some of that I've already done (got my airship pass, sub-license, chocobo license).

-Are there any other tricks than home points to easily get around? i.e. is there an easier way to reach the 3 main crags, or do I still need a WHM to teleport? Are outpost teleports still restricted to areas under your nation's control?

-So I guess I can't escape the grind. Just traveling anywhere and aiming for those FoV/GoV camps is the best way? Is there an experience guide around that lists which camps for which levels? I'd love to explore the expansion areas for most of this, instead of the vanilla FFXI areas that I'm already familiar with.

-Even if missions aren't a mean to level, how do I know which one can be done at which level? They're my main priority because I'm coming back for the expansion packs' story. The documentation I found around dates from before the Trust NPCs days, so it's tough to know when to do which mission.

Again, sorry for all the questions, it's a bit overwhelming to come back with so much changes and new stuff. Thanks a lot!

Well, popped back in for the first time in 6 years.

I used to have a lvl75 whm back in the days but that character's long gone. I'm now stuck with a san d'orian rank 5, level 23 PLD.

Not quite what you're asking for but...

content_index.png

Thanks for the answer!

-Some of that I've already done (got my airship pass, sub-license, chocobo license).

-Are there any other tricks than home points to easily get around? i.e. is there an easier way to reach the 3 main crags, or do I still need a WHM to teleport? Are outpost teleports still restricted to areas under your nation's control?

-So I guess I can't escape the grind. Just traveling anywhere and aiming for those FoV/GoV camps is the best way? Is there an experience guide around that lists which camps for which levels? I'd love to explore the expansion areas for most of this, instead of the vanilla FFXI areas that I'm already familiar with.

-Even if missions aren't a mean to level, how do I know which one can be done at which level? They're my main priority because I'm coming back for the expansion packs' story. The documentation I found around dates from before the Trust NPCs days, so it's tough to know when to do which mission.

Again, sorry for all the questions, it's a bit overwhelming to come back with so much changes and new stuff. Thanks a lot!

What server are you on?

Home point warps are the easiest way to get around. In addition to that you can do the quest researchers from the west for additional warps. When you hit 75, you can start voidwatch.

FoV / GoV camps are the best way to go, you can look at the levels of mobs in the books in a particular area and decide if you're going to be able to do missions there based on that too. It shouldn't take too much effort to get to 50 where you can start limit breaks and such.

Reveirg

What server are you on?

Home point warps are the easiest way to get around. In addition to that you can do the quest researchers from the west for additional warps. When you hit 75, you can start voidwatch.

FoV / GoV camps are the best way to go, you can look at the levels of mobs in the books in a particular area and decide if you're going to be able to do missions there based on that too. It shouldn't take too much effort to get to 50 where you can start limit breaks and such.

I'm on Quezacoatl, I know I should switch to GAF's server to have a bit more fun... but I still have to shell out 30$ on those Abyssea expansions, and 10$ for a server switch is not a business practice I want to encourage. Maybe I'll do it eventually for the more endgame stuff.

Thanks for the answers and that chart actually is really helpful.

I've already started some FoV/GoV in Gusgen in Garlaige and I went from 23 to 45 in less than 10 hours of game time this week. It really is much faster than before, and really convenient with Alter Egos!

I'm on Quezacoatl, I know I should switch to GAF's server to have a bit more fun... but I still have to shell out 30$ on those Abyssea expansions, and 10$ for a server switch is not a business practice I want to encourage. Maybe I'll do it eventually for the more endgame stuff.

Thanks for the answers and that chart actually is really helpful.

I've already started some FoV/GoV in Gusgen in Garlaige and I went from 23 to 45 in less than 10 hours of game time this week. It really is much faster than before, and really convenient with Alter Egos!

Do the server switch now while it's still cheap (it's normally more), get the ultimate collection in November when it goes on sale on steam (typically under 10 bucks). Alternatively, you're level 45, you can get back to that in a day, make a new character.

More upcoming version update news.

The October Version Update is Coming Soon!
13130.jpg

Brace yourselves, for the next version update is scheduled for early October!

Taking center stage are a new Wings of the Goddess-related quest and high-tier battlefields starring your favorite avatars!

The accompanying cast includes an expansion of the equipment sets feature, various job adjustments, and the ability to store stones obtained from alluvion skirmishes!

Get ready for fun this October!

New High-tier Battlefields
13138.jpg

A new thread has been created in the Updates section of the official forums.

[dev1234] New High-tier Battlefields

Boost Your Strength with the Double Experience Campaign and Additional Seal Battlefield Spoils Campaign!
13144.jpg

These sabots are made for fightin', and that's just what they'll do with the Double Experience Campaign and Additional Seal Battlefield Spoils Campaign, both commencing on Thursday, October 2!

Read on for details!

Pachimari

I'm updating the PlayOnline Viewer and will start this game up for the first time, having already played FFXIV: ARR.

Any tips for a total newcomer? Eventually any active players from here still?

Edit:
I don't understand this PlayOnline thing. I have a Square Enix account but how do I create a PlayOnline ID?

WOTG EPILOGUE

A New Wings of the Goddess-Related Quest, "A Forbidden Reunion," Will Be Added
13150.jpg

In the October version update, a new quest featuring a particularly memorable Wings of the Goddess character, "A Forbidden Reunion," will be introduced.

This most forbidden of reunions takes root in a small miracle called forth by a young woman who gave everything to protect Vana'diel...and her struggle to contain a future most bleak begins anew.

Players must have completed the following prerequisites to receive this quest.
- Have completed the Wings of the Goddess mission "Lest We Forget."
- Have completed the quest "Champion of the Dawn."
- Have completed the Trust initiation quest in one of San d'Oria, Bastok, or Windurst.

I'm updating the PlayOnline Viewer and will start this game up for the first time, having already played FFXIV: ARR.

Any tips for a total newcomer? Eventually any active players from here still?

Edit:
I don't understand this PlayOnline thing. I have a Square Enix account but how do I create a PlayOnline ID?

https://secure.square-enix.com/acco...t=account&ref=cis_na_login&svcgrp=Service_SEA

Go there, click the pol banner, and then click the white playonline banner to add a new account. Also join sylph when you make a new guy.

B.K.

I finished Chapter 7 of Chains of Promathia tonight. Now I can finally reforge my AF gear. Buying material for 119 reforging is going to bankrupt me. What's a good way to make gil? I never was any good at making money in this game.

So excited for the geo adjustments.
Job Adjustments
13158.jpg

A new thread has been created in the Updates section of the official forums.

[dev1235] Job Adjustments

[dev1235] Job Adjustments
The following jobs will undergo adjustments.

Warrior
  • The effects of the job ability Berserk will increase in stages as the player rises in level. Physical attack will increase by 1% per stage at levels 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90, and will reach a maximum of 30% when combined with the original effects.
  • The effects of the job ability Defender will increase in stages as the player rises in level. Physical defense will increase by 1% per stage at levels 50, 60, 70, 80, and 90, and will reach a maximum of 30% when combined with the original effects.

Thief
  • Dagger skill will be raised from A to A+.

Beastmaster
  • Axe skill will be raised from A to A+.
  • Familiars summoned using the Call Beast ability will have increased physical and magic accuracy when level 100 or above.

Ninja
  • A new job trait, Daken, will be added.
  • When equipped with a shuriken, the ninja will occasionally throw it upon autoattacking.
  • This trait will be learned at level 25 and will increase in stages at level 40, 55, 70, and 95.
  • * Shuriken thrown using Daken will not be consumed.
  • Sange will undergo the following adjustments.
  • Sange (Recast time: 3 min., effect duration: 60 sec.)
  • Daken will always activate but consume shuriken. Increase ranged accuracy by 25.
  • Katana skill will be raised from A to A+.

Dragoon
  • Wyverns will have increased physical and magic accuracy when level 100 or above.

Summoner
  • A new spell will be added.
  • Atomos (Lv. 75, Recast time: 60 sec.)
  • Removes one magic effect from an enemy and grants it to friendly players within area of effect.
  • * Atomos has no additional blood pacts usable during Astral Flow.
  • A new job ability, Apogee, will be added.
  • Apogee (Lv. 70, Recast time: 5 min., Effect duration: 60 sec.)
  • Decreases the recast time on the next blood pact, but causes it to consume more MP.
  • The job ability Avatar's Favor will be changed.
  • Penalties, including physical and magic attack, will be abolished.
  • The avatar's perpetuation cost will increase.
  • Avatars will have increased physical and magic accuracy when level 100 or above.

Blue Mage
  • The casting time of the following spells will be decreased.
  • Metallic Body / Warm-Up / Amplification / Zephyr Mantle / Triumphant Roar
  • The effect duration of the following spells will be increased.
  • Memento Mori / Reactor Cool / Saline Coat / Plasma Charge / Diamondhide / Magic Barrier / Barrier Tusk / Orcish Counterstance / Nature's Meditation / Zephyr Mantle / Triumphant Roar
  • The MP cost of Triumphant Roar will be decreased.
  • The efficacy of Regeneration will be increased.
  • Attribute adjustments will be added to the following spells.
  • Tempestuous Upheaval / Rending Deluge / Enbalming Earth / Foul Water / Retinal Glare / Subduction
  • Sword skill will be raised from A to A+.

Puppetmaster
  • Hand-to-hand skill will be raised from B+ to A+.
  • Automatons will have increased physical and magic accuracy when level 100 or above.

Dancer
  • The following job abilities will undergo adjustments.
  • The recast time for steps will be decreased from fifteen to five seconds.
  • The recast time for the job ability Presto will be decreased from thirty to fifteen seconds.
  • The job ability Climactic Flourish will receive a damage boost varying with charisma.
  • The job ability Striking Flourish will have its recast time decreased from 120 to thirty seconds and will receive a damage boost varying with charisma.
  • The job ability Ternary Flourish will have its recast time decreased from 120 to forty-five seconds and will receive a damage boost varying with charisma.
  • Dagger skill will be raised from B+ to A+.

Geomancer
  • A new job ability, Entrust, will be added.
  • Entrust (Lv. 75, Recast time: 10 min., Effect duration: 60sec.)
  • The next indicolure spell cast may target a party member.
-----
If you wish to discuss or submit feedback on this topic, please use the [dev1235] tag.

Loona

Loving the A+ing of most jobs'primary weapon skill rating - except PUP, what the hell, A should have been enough, that's MNK's tur, and I'm not sure a few extra Martial Arts ranks make that much of a difference when PUP have magic damage added to their arsenal...

The new shuriken passive for NINs looks pretty interesting too, as do the blue magic tweaks.

I guess Atomos is what we can get from the new WotG quest they announced?...

Top Bottom