• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

All right...I'm gonna say it...

Ashe's clothes design is my least favorite out of any Final Fantasy cast members. The skirt is distracting 100% of the time for how stupidly short it is. It is worse than playboy bunny Fran, or belts-galore Lulu.

That's all.

elchebib

Just purchased the game and its currently downloading on my PS4.

Are there any online guides out there that will help me 100% the game?

I looked on gamefaqs but couldn't find a decent one. Eurogamer had a guide but I did not like it because it looked like they aren't thorough enough.

Any suggestions for other sites?

Thanks

Ashe's clothes design is my least favorite out of any Final Fantasy cast members. The skirt is distracting 100% of the time for how stupidly short it is. It is worse than playboy bunny Fran, or belts-galore Lulu.

That's all.

That's funny because I actually really like Ashe's design (it helps that she is my favorite female character in the series). Her design really conveys a "magical warrior princess" vibe to me, but I see where you are coming from. This probably won't make a difference to you, but I guess they are technically shorts?

ashe_hotpants.jpg

Credo

You can't really mess up, but if you are that nervous go for the all jobs one. Why? To calm your stress down. FFXII was designed to be finished with 6 jobs only. Imagine with 12. You can't mess up at all then.

And stick Hashmal on Bushi/Knight for that sweet, sweet Curaja.

Thank you very much for your reply. I'm just hoarding LP right now to put off my decision, but I imagine I probably will go with the all jobs one. I didn't really want Vaan to be an Uhlan/Time Mage, but I don't know what else I'd make him. Balthier and Basch fit the phys roles as Shikari/Breaker and Bushi/Knight. I considered making Vaan a Shikari/White Mage so he could become my healer tank, but without a healing role for a Machinist/White Mage Fran, I don't know what I'd do with her.

Urgh, this Stilshrine of Miriam or whatever dungeon is making me hate the game so much, it's goddamn frustrating. From enemies and mobs that wipe out my party in a blink of an eye, to puzzles that make you backtrack through corridors and corridors of enemies that burn through my MP and supplies like a match, it's making the game insufferable.

It's made even worse that I don't have any teleport stones, so if I needed to get the gambits and techniks that are apparently required at this point, I'm shit out of luck unless I want to walk all the way back to Rabanastre.

I feel like this is a game where you have to be using a guide from the very start. I thought this game would be a little free, but being loose is biting me in the ass right now.

I'm not loading up earlier saves because going through text cutscenes and doing the licenses again would be super tedious.

That's all.

I find her outfit to be quite fitting, as a user already posted they seem to be short short with somewhat of a skirt like look, I alway though her outfit was pretty "un fanservice" imo more like an outfit for mobility; I always thought that S-E got their idea with Lightning's outfit was from Asche.

Cess007

I just got it after I finished
Raithwalls Tomb

Just finished that part and got back at Rabanastre and nothing. Maybe when i go out of the city.

Also, I swear, back then I played the original game I never saw the Star Wars similarities. But that I know them, I can't stop seeing them :(

That's funny because I actually really like Ashe's design (it helps that she is my favorite female character in the series). Her design really conveys a "magical warrior princess" vibe to me, but I see where you are coming from. This probably won't make a difference to you, but I guess they are technically shorts?

ashe_hotpants.jpg
You know...you think this wouldn't help. But it does. A lot. It seems much better that her vagina isn't a quarter of a centimeter away from flopping out. Never realized they were shorts.

Crisis averted! Lulu, Playboy Bunny Fran, and Cindy are back on top!

Chris R

Just finished that part and got back at Rabanastre and nothing. Maybe when i go out of the city.

Also, I swear, back then I played the original game I never saw the Star Wars similarities. But that I know them, I can't stop seeing them :(
Go into the licenses, it doesn't tell you in game you've unlocked anything, a new spot shows up on the board is all.

The Japanese written next to the drawing is basically "see? It's not really that fanservicy -ok, OK maybe it is."

It's not really saying "fanservice," But...

I still somehow like it.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
For Lore licenses, are the benefits exclusive for the targets or only if it's being casted on the characters themselves?

Example: Balthier unlocked Remedy Lore 2 (curing petrify) > Vaan is petrified > Balthier uses Remedy on Vaan...?

Chris R

If you take the second job does the first one's skillboard go away or can you take stuff from there too?

You get to toggle with triangle.

Certain skills (HP+, Accessories, ect) are shared on both boards, making it possible to get to areas that would otherwise be tons of squares away.

Syntsui

The Japanese written next to the drawing is basically "see? It's not really that fanservicy -ok, OK maybe it is."

It's not really saying "fanservice," But...

I still somehow like it.
Lmao really? That's amazing.

I have to say I find is distracting too and it wouldn't hurt if it was a few centimeters longer just so her butt curve isn't exposed, but what is done is done.

Thankfully they did everything right with Aranea design, that is together with Rinoa the best designed female in the series. But of course they had to ape to fucking wanker fans with that atrocity called Cindy.

Ourobolus

Banned
You really see how broken the gambit system is once you find a mob with reflect that keep recasting it every time it is dispelled, might as well remove the mage because the AI will never time the dispels correctly.

That hunt on Deadlands was intense.
You just need to add a line above your spell that says Foe:Reflect -> Attack. Works fine.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Thank you very much for your reply. I'm just hoarding LP right now to put off my decision, but I imagine I probably will go with the all jobs one. I didn't really want Vaan to be an Uhlan/Time Mage, but I don't know what else I'd make him. Balthier and Basch fit the phys roles as Shikari/Breaker and Bushi/Knight. I considered making Vaan a Shikari/White Mage so he could become my healer tank, but without a healing role for a Machinist/White Mage Fran, I don't know what I'd do with her.

You can get by without a White Mage, and honestly my entire party is Girl Power. Not a single guy, my Ashe is Bushi/Knight and I am melting through Hunts and Bosses. You don't need to assign phys roles for guys at all. Not a white mage in sight in my team and I get all the Curaga action I need for now, and soon it'll be Curaja.

You cannot go wrong!

Urgh, this Stilshrine of Miriam or whatever dungeon is making me hate the game so much, it's goddamn frustrating. From enemies and mobs that wipe out my party in a blink of an eye, to puzzles that make you backtrack through corridors and corridors of enemies that burn through my MP and supplies like a match, it's making the game insufferable.

It's made even worse that I don't have any teleport stones, so if I needed to get the gambits and techniks that are apparently required at this point, I'm shit out of luck unless I want to walk all the way back to Rabanastre.

I feel like this is a game where you have to be using a guide from the very start. I thought this game would be a little free, but being loose is biting me in the ass right now.

I'm not loading up earlier saves because going through text cutscenes and doing the licenses again would be super tedious.

There's no reason you should be dying that easily, other than you're under leveled and not putting the time in to get your party stronger. Turn on 4x and grind for a while.

rjinaz

For Lore licenses, are the benefits exclusive for the targets or only if it's being casted on the characters themselves?

Example: Balthier unlocked Remedy Lore 2 (curing petrify) > Vaan is petrified > Balthier uses Remedy on Vaan...?

Your example is correct as I recall. Balthier can now toss them and they will cure that ailment for whichever character.

This game is clicking with me in a way the original never did, I never even made it to the Sunstone section back when the original came out. I'm super into it now, the combat is just flowing so smooth, really enjoying the story so far (just recruited Bosch into my party after the group broke up after escaping the dungeons), absolutely loving the music it even had my girlfriend humming along as she was doing her thing while I played.

ashe_hotpants.jpg

It should be noted that this picture is fanart. From what I've read on TV Tropes, people were bewildered by how Ashe's skirt really worked as you would only see the same pink fabric if you tried to force the camera underneath it for a panty shot. Hence how they came up with the 'looks like a skirt but are actually shorts' theory. They even made official looking design sketches, pictured above, to show how it would work.

Edit: not to say it isn't true. I quite like the idea myself in fact. Just saying it doesn't necessarily reflect the intentions of the developers.

So are any of the side quests in this game doable without following a strict guide?

Seems like a lot of going to random places and talking to random NPCs and doing a lot of random stuff with a heap of RNG involved. Very obtuse.

Atlantis

Has anyone found any tried out the Ragnarok for their Red Battlemage? Trying to decide who to give Zodiark to.

My alternative is unlocking Renew and Swords (9) for someone else.

So are any of the side quests in this game doable without following a strict guide?

Seems like a lot of going to random places and talking to random NPCs and doing a lot of random stuff with a heap of RNG involved. Very obtuse.

Eh? Nah?

I did a lot of sidequests without a guide back then.

Not doing them this time though.

Got demolished by these gargoyle things in Zertinan Caverns. Even with the seitengrats. I dont ever remember running into them back when I played this on ps2.

SilentRob

I really Like the Game but the fact that you have to decide on a Job without having any idea what that actually means, what the job does specifically, how it fits the character and then arent able to change that later is fucking awful. Everyone Just Googles the best combination for each character because there is No way to know that yourself. Balthier has a gun, so I give hin the gun-job. Fran has a bow, so I make her an Archer...only to then read that those are among the worst Jobs for These chars? Thats fucking ridiculous.

Alej

Banned

It's one of my favorite dungeons in the game. It's hard, puzzles are confusing, there's a lot to fight, etc. It's a great and welcome challenge.

You actually have to master gambits at this time. Simple and efficient gambits will do better than bloated gambits of dying mana. Everytime. Do not try to use everything you have, use what you need when you need it.

Should be rewarding in the end.

King_Moc

Banned

Do a few more sidequests maybe? I was level 35 when I got there and flew through it in <15 minutes in 4x speed mode.

And if you want to get to Rabanastre, 4x speed will get you there pretty quick.

I really Like the Game but the fact that you have to decide on a Job without having any idea what that actually means, what the job does specifically, how it fits the character and then arent able to change that later is fucking awful. Everyone Just Googles the best combination for each character because there is No way to know that yourself. Balthier has a gun, so I give hin the gun-job. Fran has a bow, so I make her an Archer...only to then read that those are among the worst Jobs for These chars? Thats fucking ridiculous.

I gave Balthier Machinist because he looks good with guns and Fran is a Bushi because she looks good with Katanas, that's the entirety of my Job selection process (how good chars look with specific weapons) and I'm blowing through endgame hunts and bosses like nothing.

It doesn't fucking matter, don't be a baby.

m4st4

Fran is my favorite Final Fantasy character, and it's because of her voice actress - Nicole Fantl, superb work and really makes me believe in the character.

I gave Balthier Machinist because he looks good with guns and Fran is a Bushi because she looks good with Katanas, that's the entirety of my Job selection process (how good chars look with specific weapons) and I'm blowing through endgame hunts and bosses like nothing.

It doesn't fucking matter, don't be a baby.

I'm going to do the same thing, pick jobs which will make the character look the coolest.

Reknoc

The job has a description on the select screen and you can even view the license board itself to skim over what sort of skills and equipment it'll get. Character choice doesn't even matter unless you're crazy into min/maxing and it matters even less for this version because you can get a second Job.

Mendrox

It doesn't matter because you have two jobs in this version. The game is still very very easy with that and endgame is possible with any combination. It could just take longer in fights.

Camisado

I think I might have messed up my jobs already.

I’m almost at the point of unlocking the ability to get a second job and my party are as follows:

Vaan – Shikari
Balthier – Machinist
Fran – Archer
Basch – Uhlan
Ashe – Black Mage
Penelo – White Mage

I was trying to keep it somewhat ‘lore’ friendly with my choices and to use all twelve jobs, but I think I’ve probably messed up, my current plan was to have this:

Vaan – Shikari + Bushi
Balthier – Machinist + Monk
Fran – Archer + Red Mage
Basch – Uhlan + Knight
Ashe – Black Mage + Time Battlemage
Penelo – White Mage + Foebreaker

Would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts on how I can salvage it, I’m far enough in now that I really don’t want to start again just to fix my mistake.

ashe_hotpants.jpg
shocked_okaylzoqo.gif

Glad to see they concentrate on the important things when designing these games.

Top Bottom