• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XII The Zodiac Age |OT| You Had One Job!

Alej

Banned
I think I might have messed up my jobs already.

I’m almost at the point of unlocking the ability to get a second job and my party are as follows:

Vaan – Shikari
Balthier – Machinist
Fran – Archer
Basch – Uhlan
Ashe – Black Mage
Penelo – White Mage

I was trying to keep it somewhat ‘lore’ friendly with my choices and to use all twelve jobs, but I think I’ve probably messed up, my current plan was to have this:

Vaan – Shikari + Bushi
Balthier – Machinist + Monk
Fran – Archer + Red Mage
Basch – Uhlan + Knight
Ashe – Black Mage + Time Battlemage
Penelo – White Mage + Foebreaker

Would really appreciate anyone’s thoughts on how I can salvage it, I’m far enough in now that I really don’t want to start again just to fix my mistake.

There is absolutely nothing to save here. Start again and pick random jobs, it will be better.

(but why?)

/s

Seriously, this is perfectly fine. There is nothing to mess up with jobs in this game. Be confident with your choices, people. It's like nothing has to be permanent because people are insecure.

I really Like the Game but the fact that you have to decide on a Job without having any idea what that actually means, what the job does specifically, how it fits the character and then arent able to change that later is fucking awful. Everyone Just Googles the best combination for each character because there is No way to know that yourself. Balthier has a gun, so I give hin the gun-job. Fran has a bow, so I make her an Archer...only to then read that those are among the worst Jobs for These chars? Thats fucking ridiculous.

Guns for Balthier and Bows for Fran are still not bad choices. For example both are mages in my build, Balthier as a White Mage and Fran as a Red Mage. I want both characters out of the attack range from most mobs. Ranged weapons are ideal for that part, especially for White Mages.

Can anyone help me with this?

I have Bash as a Knight / Bushi with a katana and Genji gloves. Because of the latter the katana is a no-brainer I guess, but I'm wondering if the share of strength/magic is equal for damage calculating or should I favor one? Like 2x Heavy Armor, 2x Magic or 1x Magic, 1x Heavy. Suggestions?

Jennipeg

I mean, dislike the design if you want, but obviously character design and clothing is an important thing to focus on for your 6 characters that you see for 50+ hours.

I really like the design except for the skirt, I wish she was wearing proper shorts, or even trousers.

2945124-ashe_milestone_call+outs.jpg

The shorts on the far right would work perfectly imo, and they are almost as short as the skirt.

I really like the design except for the skirt, I wish she was wearing proper shorts, or even trousers.

The shorts on the far right would work perfectly imo, and they are almost as short as the skirt.

Agreed. XII's character outfits are one of the few things I don't love about it. Balthier's is maybe the only one I don't mind.

garath

So I just got to Mt. Bur Ominace. I've been trying to get things like cat ear hood and thief gloves and basically any optional stronger weapons from the baazar or otherwise (probably not going for that crazy bow yet) but I'm struggling to find good guidance with the differences between zodiac and original. Everything I find is in reference to the original.

I'd also like a ninja sword by now.

Any things I could aim for? I'm half tempted to get the digital prima guide honestly.

While Ashe's skorts are pretty ugly, fan-servicey, and not really befitting of royalty, I basically give her a pass because Dalmasca is so hot even the Knights wear shorts. Vossler's and Basch's short pants always crack me up.

Narroo

The funny thins is, it's actually impressive how bad Ashe's costume ended up being. If you pay attention, most of the Dalmascans are dressed like strippers; apparently living in the desert means you have to be sexy to cool off.

And yet, Ashe still sticks out like a sore sexualized thumb.

These are from that cancelled spinoff game, right? I do quite like them.

Jennipeg

The funny thins is, it's actually impressive how bad Ashe's costume ended up being. If you pay attention, most of the Dalmascans are dressed like strippers; apparently living in the desert means you have to be sexy to cool off.

They are certainly revealing, but they don't strike me as sexy. There are lots of Star Wars comparisons, but the people of Rabanastre remind me of Disney's Aladdin. Tiny vests and crop tops for everybody.

aadiboy

It's just standard JRPG desert attire. Now FFX, that game had characters that were literally strippers.

Fran is my favorite Final Fantasy character, and it's because of her voice actress - Nicole Fantl, superb work and really makes me believe in the character.
it seems that lady is australian, which is crazy because of fran's accent.
also fran and ashe have awful costume design, which is a shame because their characters are great. penelo has a pretty dumb costume too, actually.

it seems that lady is australian, which is crazy because of fran's accent.
also fran and ashe have awful costume design, which is a shame because their characters are great. penelo has a pretty dumb costume too, actually.

Fran's outfit is over the top, but I still think it's awesome. Something about her inhuman proportions, Viera rebel status, and voice make it work for me. It really highlights her legs which, appropriate to her rabbit hybrid status, are super strong and long. I love to give her a katana and put her on the front line as some kind of Amazonian/bunny shock trooper.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Basch's weird triangle vest is the only clothing I take issue with. Aside from Fran and Ashe dressing like... yeah

The vest is flipped open so that it forms two triangles. Why?

Can anyone help me with this?
+1 MAG matters more but both have decreasing returns and the the weighting toward MAG decreases based on level.

Pure STR Weapons
DMG = [ATK x RANDOM(1~1.125) - DEF] x [1 + STR x (Lv+STR)/256]

STR+MAG Weapons
DMG = [ATK x RANDOM(1~1.125) - DEF] x [1 + STR x (Lv+MAG)/256]

Using some stock ATK and DEF numbers,and assuming +1 STR vs +1 MAG, plugged into an excel, around Lv10 it was +3.2% damage vs +4.5% damage (the actual damage number hitting the mob on screen), but by Lv30 it's +2.1% to +2.5%, Lv50 at +1.5% to +1.7%, Lv70 at +1.17% to +1.27%, and by Lv80 at +1.05% and +1.13%. Those exact +damage% likely aren't exact because I the amount of ATK, STR/MAG, and enemy DEF for each level could be off, but it still shows the weight change in the diminishing returns.

VIT and SPD weapons are the same way, but they weight even more heavily because instead of /256 they're /128 and /218. So 1 point of STR or SPD both give you a bigger damage boost, and likewise STR or VIT... e.g. +3.5% from 1 STR at Lv10 for an axe vs +3.2% for a katana, and +5% from +1 VIT on an axe vs 4.5% for +1 MAG on a katana; likewise like at Lv30 and 50 an extra 1 VIT on an axe is +2.6% and +1.72% vs the +2.5% and 1.71%. Because character level impacts the role of the other stat, and because it lags (e.g. your MAG is probably always 10-20 higher until the different becomes 0 at Lv99), the difference between 1 STR and 1 MAG/VIT/SPD shifts at the same rate until 1 point of each is almost (but still not exactly) the same.

Short version, prioritize MAG, VIT, or SPD, but even by around Lv15 it's a 1% difference and I think by around Lv70 it becomes a 0.1% difference.

Hystzen

Basch's weird triangle vest is the only clothing I take issue with. Aside from Fran and Ashe dressing like... yeah

The vest is flipped open so that it forms two triangles. Why?

Got show them sweet abs he kept after being locked up for years. Dude if i could keep abs like Basch without ever working on them i would around like that

The only thing that really bothers me about the outfits is that Vaan's outfit, together with his hairstyle, doesn't really make him look like a poor orphan at all. But this goes for a lot of the town's NPCs as well.

+1 MAG matters more but both have decreasing returns and the the weighting toward MAG decreases based on level.

Pure STR Weapons

STR+MAG Weapons

Using some stock ATK and DEF numbers,and assuming +1 STR vs +1 MAG, plugged into an excel, around Lv10 it was +3.2% damage vs +4.5% damage (the actual damage number hitting the mob on screen), but by Lv30 it's +2.1% to +2.5%, Lv50 at +1.5% to +1.7%, Lv70 at +1.17% to +1.27%, and by Lv80 at +1.05% and +1.13%. Those exact +damage% likely aren't exact because I the amount of ATK, STR/MAG, and enemy DEF for each level could be off, but it still shows the weight change in the diminishing returns.

VIT and SPD weapons are the same way, but they weight even more heavily because instead of /256 they're /128 and /218. So 1 point of STR or SPD both give you a bigger damage boost, and likewise STR or VIT... e.g. +3.5% from 1 STR at Lv10 for an axe vs +3.2% for a katana, and +5% from +1 VIT on an axe vs 4.5% for +1 MAG on a katana; likewise like at Lv30 and 50 an extra 1 VIT on an axe is +2.6% and +1.72% vs the +2.5% and 1.71%. Because character level impacts the role of the other stat, and because it lags (e.g. your MAG is probably always 10-20 higher until the different becomes 0 at Lv99), the difference between 1 STR and 1 MAG/VIT/SPD shifts at the same rate until 1 point of each is almost (but still not exactly) the same.

Short version, prioritize MAG, VIT, or SPD, but even by around Lv15 it's a 1% difference and I think by around Lv70 it becomes a 0.1% difference.

Good stuff. Thank you!

Oh baby, got my Seitengrat within 10 minutes using the 21 seconds stopwatch method.

I don't want to trivialize my playthrough though so I won't be equipping it until endgame.

Also, I only want my actual archer using a bow even though Seitengrat requires no licenses so I only need 1. It's honestly really stupid that it requires no licenses and I wish Square hadn't done that.

Bunga

Pure STR Weapons

STR+MAG Weapons

I haven't played the game and have no idea what you're talking about but this is still a seriously impressive post lol. Kudos friend for such in-depth knowledge.

george_us

All right...I'm gonna say it...

Ashe's clothes design is my least favorite out of any Final Fantasy cast members. The skirt is distracting 100% of the time for how stupidly short it is. It is worse than playboy bunny Fran, or belts-galore Lulu.

That's all.
I like Ashe outside of the skirt. Actually I love FFXII's character design and art in general.

Cess007

As I messed up and made Penelo White Mage instead of Black; I decided to make Balthier the Black Mage of the team. And I kinda like the idea of him being Machinist and Black Mage.

Vic_Viper

Just got to the first real vendor after the Firemane Boss. By the battery after freeing Basch in the beginning of the game. Is there anything I should definetly buy, any Gambits I should seriously get now or anything else important he has that I might overlook?

Can I grind a bit if I need too and then come back to him?

My party atm is:

Vaan-Shikari
Balthier-WHM
Fran-Archer

Meowster

Aside from Fran's cheeks hanging out, I love everything about her design. She looks so cool and it helps that she has the best voice actor in the game.

Jennipeg

Aside from Fran's cheeks hanging out, I love everything about her design. She looks so cool and it helps that she has the best voice actor in the game.

I'd have more of an issue if she actually had an arse to be honest. I don't mind her outfit design, but I love her face, its just beautiful.

Just got to the first real vendor after the Firemane Boss. By the battery after freeing Basch in the beginning of the game. Is there anything I should definetly buy, any Gambits I should seriously get now or anything else important he has that I might overlook?

Can I grind a bit if I need too and then come back to him?

My party atm is:

Vaan-Shikari
Balthier-WHM
Fran-Archer
Most gambits are quite cheap from that vendor. 20 gil, I believe, while the vendor in Rabanastre sells them for 70 gil per piece (and 300 for the more advanced ones). So I would definitely buy as many gambits from him as your wallet allows you.

Other than that, he's just a regular vendor. If you have the money, you could check out if your weapons need an upgrade. Your Balthier, in particular, could switch from guns to rods, given his job and perhaps Vaan and Fran's weapons can be upgraded.

I wouldn't worry too much about it, though. The upcoming dungeon is not particularly long and the game makes sure you have regular access to vendors.

Fran is great. There are so many ways things could've gone wrong, ranging from her design (by portraying her as a glorified sex bunny) to her voice (hiring someone who can't keep a consistent accent). But instead she's competent, stoic but not without an understated sense of humor, and her voice actor does an amazing job.

Absolutely. I checked her (and others) on behindthevoiceactors. Sadly the actress never voiced another game again. Which makes this performance even more unique.

Even when closed that vest would expose his abs. Haha

Heh, if you've got it, flaunt it. And nothing gives you washboard abs quite like the gibbet diet.

On that topic, that Basch pretty much keeps his prisoner-chic body for the rest of the game makes me feel weird about equipping him w/ greatswords. But who else?

Shifty1897

Everyone's outfits except Balthier's in this game bother me. I know these games are made for teenagers but they could at least offer a modest outfit option like Tales of Berseria did.

Also I cheated the RNG and got Seitengrat last night. So awesome.

Credo

You can get by without a White Mage, and honestly my entire party is Girl Power. Not a single guy, my Ashe is Bushi/Knight and I am melting through Hunts and Bosses. You don't need to assign phys roles for guys at all. Not a white mage in sight in my team and I get all the Curaga action I need for now, and soon it'll be Curaja.

You cannot go wrong!

Thanks. That makes me feel a lot better. I didn't 100% the original game. I didn't get all the best weapons, and I never beat Yiazmat or a couple other bosses, so I wanted to be sure that I was able to do that if I chose to this time. That's been the source of all the worry I guess.

thedan001

I haven't looked up the lore in Ivalice too much yet, but I can't stop thinking how FFXII time period is before FFT's then what happened to all the airships?

Did something happen between games that made Ivalice civilization lose the tech for airships when FFT came about?

iosefe

I haven't looked up the lore in Ivalice too much yet, but I can't stop thinking how FFXII time period is before FFT's then what happened to all the airships?

Did something happen between games that made Ivalice civilization lose the tech for airships when FFT came about?

there was a cataclysm

SkylineRKR

Is it normal that Foebreaker is fucking worthless for the first half of the game? I have zero skills for it and past Phon Coast, zip. So yeah it has high STR etc but for actual technicks I mean.

Ralemont

not me

No one knows for sure but there is something in Ivalice lore (mentioned several times in FFT) called The Cataclysm that might have been responsible.

Top Bottom