• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Those pre-order costumes and Omega, can we assume they will be sold as regular DLC later on? I want those, but they aren't included with the Crystal Edition >_>

rataven

Finally wrapping it for the night, and it is laaaate. Played about six hours and enjoyed it; the time flew by! (that's not a bad pun or anything)

Biggest surprise - Noel, Serah, and so far even Mog, are generally very likable and less grating than I expected.

Cheska

Biggest surprise - Noel, Serah, and so far even Mog, are generally very likable and less grating than I expected.

This is my exact sentiment. I made it to where the demo ended and at this point, I don't dislike any of them. Even Chocolina is a hoot now to me :)

I'm 4.5 hours in so far. Really enjoying the game. I admit, I was a little worried at first, but those worries are put to rest. Sometimes I hate being the only one who likes these games, though. I have literally no friends to discuss either XIII or XIII-2 with because they all hate them. Oh well...

By the way, this game is ridiculously easy. What's up with that? Anyone else feel the same way? Especially compared to XIII.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Bothering, I wanna start sharing my experiences too! Damn Europe and its friday release dates >.<'

d00d3n

Just bought PAL 360 version (released today in Sweden). Have the framerate issues in 1080p upscale mode from the demo been resolved? Or should the game be played in 720p mode?

By the way, is anyone else using Summoners Garb over the normal costume? I hate the gloves in her normal costume, they annoy the shit out of me.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
By the way, this game is ridiculously easy. What's up with that? Anyone else feel the same way? Especially compared to XIII.
Yeah. I'm about to fall asleep, but I got to about Lv 45 with Noel's Commando and Lv 47 with Serah's Blaster, and Bresha Ruins is pretty much a cakewalk with just the two of them. The balancing without the level caps just feel like it's been thrown out the window. The game is easier than I'd like it to be.

Not sure if I want to take on Atlas full-powered on Friday, since that might require extra grinding. I haven't used monsters yet.

Also, lol, I got a Pulse Knight finally. Bahahaha. That took a while.

Still can't stand Chocolina's voice or Kupo.

By the way, is anyone else using Summoners Garb over the normal costume? I hate the gloves in her normal costume, they annoy the shit out of me.
Yes. Her default outfit isn't very good.

duckroll

Summoners Garb also makes Serah look far less sluty. Which is the opposite of what I expected. The change in terms of how she looks with a simple costume change is pretty impressive.

Perfo

I can't stand the summoner garb... is even more out of place than her standard's one, that at least retains something of the modern future setting she lives in.

d00d3n

Just a word of warning: The framerate during the intro has been awful on 360, playing in 720p mode. I would recommend getting the ps3 version.

Can't wait till Friday.

I am a bit worried though as I ordered XIII-2 from GAME and there's rumours of them not getting in copies of new games, but they have said today that they will get FFXIII-2. I just hope I get it on Friday!

I'm pretty hyped for the game even though its not really the type of sequel that I wanted XIII to have.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Just a word of warning: The framerate during the intro has been awful on 360, playing in 720p mode. I would recommend getting the ps3 version.

Has to be isolated to your system, we don't really see anyone else complaining about that.

The framerate get's pretty choppy no matter what system you play this game on. On average though during the opening segments the PS3 version maintains a 4 or so fps average over the 360 version. It's not really a deal breaker though.

The real crime is the macroblocking on the 360 version cgi videos..

d00d3n

On average though during the opening segments the PS3 version maintains a 4 or so fps average over the 360 version.

So there is only a difference during the opening segments? The framerate seems fine when I get control over Serah on the beach (after the first set of fights on the beach). The macroblocking was apparent, but didn't really bother me as much as the framerate (would have been a complete deal breaker if the whole game had been as the intro)

So there is only a difference during the opening segments? The framerate seems fine when I get control over Serah on the beach (after the first set of fights on the beach). The macroblocking was apparent, but didn't really bother me as much as the framerate (would have been a complete deal breaker if the whole game had been as the intro)

Well, I say opening segments because that's the only real section of the game that's been analysed so far. Mostly from the demo. It's entirely possible that there are areas later on that are smoother or perhaps even worse... I'm only around 6 hours in so far though. (PS3 version)

And yeah, it's mostly during the more flashy cutscenes. During battles and running around it's fine.

Ricker

The Live triggers are awesome...I had one that was about Serah's Summoner's Garb with the guy that looks like Naruto and she asked him if he wanted to try it on hehe...

Finally found that med kit and I'm 95% explored on the map so it's time for my fist jump I guess,also got Lebreau's Tatoo,not sure what it's for yet.

Love the '' so far on FXIII-2'' when you load the game and the Fringe like Episode title placed on the environment somewhere as well,loving it a lot so far...having a hard time getting use to the crystarium level up screen though,I liked the way it looked in XIII better.

d00d3n

I am so embarressed. Went and bought ps3 version three hours later in the same store that I bought the 360 version in (no return policy after breaking seal, did not try to hustle). The shop assistant (same one) was very professional and did not ridicule me. Will remove modified firmware for this. I need help, right?

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

So I'm going to have to do a second playthrough where I select nothing but these options.

I selected this option on purpose since I don't really like Snow and it was probably the least positive option. Little did I know..

RPGCrazied

Are they seriously going to make us wait for the other costumes? If they wait to long, everyone will have beaten the game, then they serve no purpose. Unless they plan on releasing a lot of story DLC or something. I wish I could buy that Noel outfit thats on the Asia store, but alas you can't.

Z3M0G

I didn't get to play too much of it yet, still haven't stepped through the first gate on the beach. But I'm loving the game so far... gameplay feels much improved over XIII in every way.

Very sad to hear the difficulty may simply never be there... I enjoyed the challenge of XIII.

duckroll

Are they seriously going to make us wait for the other costumes? If they wait to long, everyone will have beaten the game, then they serve no purpose. Unless they plan on releasing a lot of story DLC or something. I wish I could buy that Noel outfit thats on the Asia store, but alas you can't.

There's going to be DLC released every month all the way through May at the very least. The DLC will be a mix of costumes, optional boss battles, and story DLC. There will be many chances to use the costume DLCs as long as you buy all the other DLCs as well. :)

Hi2u

Banned
There's going to be DLC released every month all the way through May at the very least. The DLC will be a mix of costumes, optional boss battles, and story DLC. There will be many chances to use the costume DLCs as long as you buy all the other DLCs as well. :)

I hope the story dlc's at least have new achievements.

RPGCrazied

Was that confirmed? All I saw was the Lightning and the Sergent guy Coliseum fight.

Perfo

Was that confirmed? All I saw was the Lightning and the Sergent guy Coliseum fight.

They teased the Light's Episode for next march if I'm not wrong. I just hope it's something long and not just 30 mins of gameplay. Playing with Light again will be cool though.

RPGCrazied

They teased the Light's Episode for next march if I'm not wrong. I just hope it's something long and not just 30 mins of gameplay. Playing with Light again will be cool though.

Yeah. I'm fearing the pricing then anything else. The one that comes out in Feb, the fights, is what, $3? I hope they aren't going to charge $9.99 for 2 hours of story DLC content. Really, costumes shouldn't be more than $2 for one. I'd rather the story DLC be 6 - 8 hours, and be $14.99. But what game these days is that long selling at retail prices. It'll never be that big, or cheap for that much content. Sadly.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So, is there any strategy to pick the bonuses when leveling up your crystarium? I'm at lv. 28 or so so I've only leveled it once per character, but it's way more tempting to pick ATB and Role+ versus something like accessory weight increase.

jorgeton

15 hours in, and I pretty much love this game. I woke up early (9AM) on my day off to play it yesterday. I rarely do that unless a game has really grabbed me.

First, the game is way more gorgeous than I thought it'd be. I think it looks better than the demo made me believe it would. And the music is probably in the top-5 favorite RPG soundtrack in the last couple of years. The songs are catchy and stay with me even when I'm not playing. Part of the fun of exploring a new area is not just finding all the goodies/plot points there, but seeing what kind of tunes the composers will throw at me. And I like the screamo-metal boss theme. Very glad I splurged on the Collector's Edition.

The plot is silly, but as people in this thread have suggested, becomes LOL funny if you approach it with a sense of humor. When Serah referred to Snow as a "good friend" I laughed and was pretty much won over. Also, if you take a shot every time one of the protags suggest you fight to save the future, not only will you be wasted, but will enjoy the plot much more.

Gameplay wise, it takes the battle system from FFXIII (which I loved) and gives it a shot of adrenaline. The game is easy, yes, but you fight so damn much (that encounter rate is hiiiigh) that it's nice to be done with normal fights in under 30 seconds. The whole non-linear exploration/historia crux system is great and user-friendly. And I love how what you need to collect from each timeline is spelled out (3 time gates, 15 fragments, etc.) It gives running through each map a concrete goal.

But what I really appreciate about the new exploration system is that the game keeps track of how much of the map you've completed. And
you meet an NPC that gives you swag for every map you 100%
It's the random little things that really bring a smile to my face.

UraMallas

Did anyone actually get the $30 credit emails? I think I just fucked myself by asking a CS rep to speed up the emails so i can get something by thursday. He kept "yelling" at me that I was only getting $10.

I would say that you just be patient. The $30 credit has actually been removed from the site (which is why the CSR probably can't see it) and they explicitly state that it may take up to two business days from when your item is shipped for you to get your codes.

I just received two serparate emails from Amazon, one with a $10 credit and one with a $20 credit. So I can confirm that it worked!

Bladenic

Both the game and CE guide have arrived in my town, and will probably be delivered by early afternoon. I'm weak-willed, so I will probably play a bit later, at least the opening segments. So excited.

mr. puppy

Banned
So, is there any strategy to pick the bonuses when leveling up your crystarium? I'm at lv. 28 or so so I've only leveled it once per character, but it's way more tempting to pick ATB and Role+ versus something like accessory weight increase.

i sit on the CP for a long time until somebody beats my ass up and then figure out what exactly I did to lose, what my weaknesses are, and use it from there.

mostly I want serah to turn into saboteur/ravager and noel to be sentinel/commando with both of them having a couple of medic things in there too

Venfayth

I've only been able to play this for about 6 hours, but I am fucking hooked. The story is a bit on the weak side so far, but nothing that's truly left me feeling disappointed. The gameplay is basically 13 but with far better customization, levelling, exploration, questing, pretty much everything. Loving the soundtrack and scenery as well. Will write up a bit more later when I have more free time.

Baust

I'm about 4 hours into the game myself, and I too am really impressed. It seems Square really is on the right track again. The humor, exploration, and even some little gimmicks have found their way back into the franchise. Personally, I don't mind the story at all. Noel's backstory seems quite interesting.

i sit on the CP for a long time until somebody beats my ass up and then figure out what exactly I did to lose, what my weaknesses are, and use it from there.

mostly I want vanille to turn into saboteur/ravager and noel to be sentinel/commando with both of them having a couple of medic things in there too

kind of a spoiler there...

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)

mostly I want vanille to turn into saboteur/ravager and noel to be sentinel/commando with both of them having a couple of medic things in there too

Heh heh.

Yeah I'm unsure about roles as well. I've got Noel as Commando and Synergist and Serah as Ravager and Saboteur which is fine. I need to find a better medic than Cait Sith, but the Pulse Knight is a great Sentinel so I'm not bothering with that role for either character (yet)

Wilsongt

So... Anyone else still rocking monsters from Bresha Ruins 8+ hours into the game? I have a Gremlin that has been getting massive magic boosts. My cait Sith is a little lacking, though...

Also, I am a little disappointed that they removed a lot of abilities such as the Water line of spells and earth and whatnot... Also, you can definitely tell they found a way to skimp out on the lip sync by making character movement during cutscenes a whole lot more eratic without focusing so much on their faces like they did in FFXIII.

Top Bottom