• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

jorgeton

Fuuuuuu

why did I not finish XIII I really want this game, but I think I need to finish the first one.

Well, there's a chapter by chapter recap of FF13 in the main menu.. so you really don't need to finish the game. And the bonuses you get for playing FF13 are not contingent on having cleared it, all you need is an FF13 save file.

Dyno

Wow that Edge review (5/10) sounds like FF has doubled down on the interactive movie experience. Enjoy for those who like it and are willing to sit through the experience! Looks like I'll have to dig up that 20 min intro on YouTube instead.

Perhaps mainline FF will be this relatively new kind of casual play and the Versus franchise will harken back to older, more-game oriented FF. Even so I don't know if I'd ever come back at this point.

Wow, a game collection without a Square title. My teenaged self would never have believed it.

Well, there's a chapter by chapter recap of FF13 in the main menu.. so you really don't need to finish the game. And the bonuses you get for playing FF13 are not contingent on having cleared it, all you need is an FF13 save file.

interesting, thanks for the info.

bubnbob

Banned

The chapter recap is so to the point it pretty much misses some of the finer details, imo. Wiki would be more descriptive.

Slayer-33

Liverpool-2
Amazon actually sent the $30 credit LOL...

$20 & $10 no omega dlc codes though :(

Feelsgood and badman ;( but I'll take the money lol..

Perhaps mainline FF will be this relatively new kind of casual play and the Versus franchise will harken back to older, more-game oriented FF. Even so I don't know if I'd ever come back at this point.

Dude. It's going to be a Kingdom Hearts game with some western FPS shooter elements. Don't get excited.

Teknoman

so far its mostly this song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ywMHnJJ-KpM), screamo boss fights, and the awful victory music

Well I agree that one boss theme (one of the fights with
Gogmagog
did sound a little off, but over all, I like the OST. It reminds me of a SaGa series/Final Fantasy/ Phantasy Star Online mix.

It does suck that they couldnt throw in some sort of XIII-2 classic fanfare mix (maybe one will show up in the Colosseum at some point?) when even XIV has it.

EDIT: I wouldnt say any part of FFXIII or XIII-2 counts as casual. If that was the case, everything in the game would be easy, even the puzzles/post game stuff.

No wonder I like the Paradigm Shift and Giant's Fist battle themes, they're composed by Naoshi Mizuta of FFXI fame. Glad that they arranged the OST disc tracks in order of story appearance as well.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Yeah I think calling XIII-2's OST lazy is a bit much. It's okay though but I still prefer XIII's. (I haven't heard all the music yet so it might change!)

Anyway some mid-game impressions (11 hours in):

- The camera is wonky for some reason, when it focuses on the NPC and when it zooms into particular areas. XIII's camera was totally fine for me though.

- I'm glad you can talk and interact to specific NPCs. Adding to that all them have voices too. My only problem is that they seem kind of... Off I guess. Like they'd walk into walls. I chuckled when they started jumping from wide ledges.

- Episode 4's first location looks great
aka Academia
... Kinda like FFXIII Sanctum but better.

- I liked Noel, Serah, and probably Mog's characterization. They're not loathe-worthy nor are they over-the-top annoying. I prefer their characterizations than XIII's.

- The story doesn't seem so bad... Nor convoluted to me for now.

I'm finding the game a lot fun to be honest.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
XIII-2's OST is awesome, just like X-2.

I'm the successor of Londa and I approve this message. To me, XIII-2's soundtrack sits among my favorite OSTs of all time. It's amazing what these three composers created for this game. This happens when you're working on a smaller project with less hype/expectations and so you're given more freedom, it'll be rare to see again something so extreme. Infact XIII-2 as a whole is a sort of crazy experiment that could've been done only here and now.

Grisby

Do I need something special for getting the KUPO spotted treasure chests? I'm sitting right in front of an invisible one and there's no prompt to open it.

mr. puppy

Banned
- The story doesn't seem so bad... Nor convoluted to me for now.

it was fine until the worst writing i've ever seen:
when Sera and Noel first get to the meteor time gate at the beginning and they are talking to their friends, the bad guy and his dead girlfriend or whatever are randomly standing on the cliff watching them. which crappy writing team did they hire for this game?

I3rand0

Yeah I think calling XIII-2's OST lazy is a bit much. It's okay though but I still prefer XIII's. (I haven't heard all the music yet so it might change!)

Anyway some mid-game impressions (11 hours in):

- The camera is wonky for some reason, when it focuses on the NPC and when it zooms into particular areas. XIII's camera was totally fine for me though.

Yeah the camera is awful in this game. It's like it's not mapped very well to the right analog stick or something. You either press it too lightly and it doesn't move or too much and your view gets obscured. How did they fuck this up after XIII which was fine.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Yeah the camera is awful in this game. It's like it's not mapped very well to the right analog stick or something. You either press it too lightly and it doesn't move or too much and your view gets obscured. How did they fuck this up after XIII which was fine.

Maybe Tri-Ace did that :D

Teknoman

I'm the successor of Londa and I approve this message. To me, XIII-2's soundtrack sits among my favorite OSTs of all time. It's amazing what these three composers created for this game. This happens when you're working on a smaller project with less hype/expectations and so you're given more freedom, it'll be rare to see again something so extreme. Infact XIII-2 as a whole is a sort of crazy experiment that could've been done only here and now.

The sad part is that Square seemed like they used to do experiments like this all the time (SNES/PS1 era of stuff). They sort of made a return to it for a short time with the DS's The World ends with You.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe Tri-Ace did that :D

Tri-ace probably did the towns too since they're the ones in SE who were able to do HD towns. lol

Mihos

Gold Member
I am only about 4 hours in, and am trying to avoid spoilers. Is there anyway you can screw up the monster stuff? I have like 15 already and don't know if I should just concentrate on leveling up a few or if it is cool to just dump points into whoever and figure it out later.

I am really liking it so far.... but not having the original victory fanfair makes it not seem like a real final fantasy in some weird 'probably just me' way.

jimmypython

I am only about 4 hours in, and am trying to avoid spoilers. Is there anyway you can screw up the monster stuff? I have like 15 already and don't know if I should just concentrate on leveling up a few or if it is cool to just dump points into whoever and figure it out later.

I am really liking it so far.... but not having the original victory fanfair makes it not seem like a real final fantasy in some weird 'probably just me' way.

just pay attention to the monsters that you can only obtain once, like golden chocobo, odin, etc..

You don't want to use them to experiment monster leveling system. :)

desu

Dont worry, you can get every monster as many times as you want. However there are 3 monsters that in chests that you can only get once in the whole game. So look out what you do with them.

Mihos

Gold Member
just pay attention to the monsters that you can only obtain once, like golden chocobo, odin, etc..

You don't want to use them to experiment monster leveling system. :)

That sounds like solid advice! I have just been doing normal leveling. I will probably check a faq before combining any of them.

Hmmm, little help please?

Augustia Tower
300 AF.... I reached the top and fixed the hacking problem then what? The elevetor needs some kind of key to go up any further, but i have no idea where to go or what to do :/

I heard something about the same tower 200 AF but how to get there?

Wilsongt

The soundtrack is not lazy. It's wonderful, especially how they managed to weave the Crystal Theme into the background music in Ya-something Massif AF010.

Teknoman

I hope the next FF will keep the jump button, it's much more fun to continually jump than it is to walk.

Its going to be in Versus XIII and eventually added to XIV, so i'd say thats a safe new addition. As long as they make actual use of it.

Reveirg

Well, I know I'll never listen to reviews and importers' impressions again.

People failed to mention (or barely did) the fantastic cutscene direction, stylized visuals and presentation. IGN's 7.0 for presentation isn't only unfair, it's downright laughable.
Story isn't nearly as bad as people made it out to be. This game is exactly what I'd expect from Final Fantasy. I guess it's just cool to hate anything S-E (and especially Toriyama) does nowadays.

And this has to be one of the 3 best FF soundtracks, and probably the best soundtrack this gen has seen (with NIER). The fact that Caius' Theme hasn't gotten nearly as much love as One-Winged Angel does is proof to me that much of FFVII's praise has much, much to do with nostalgia.

Esura

Banned
Tossing a moogle is possibly the most funniest thing I've seen in a Final Fantasy game.

Almost feel bad for the little critter.

Top Bottom