• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

mr. puppy

Banned
Heh heh.

Yeah I'm unsure about roles as well. I've got Noel as Commando and Synergist and Serah as Ravager and Saboteur which is fine. I need to find a better medic than Cait Sith, but the Pulse Knight is a great Sentinel so I'm not bothering with that role for either character (yet)

oh fuck lol i meant serah

Nakimushi

Banned
I am also very impressed ...
AV part of the game is amazing and game just feels like it was made on big budget
story is good I think ... I didnt expect anything more from Jrpg game ;)
gameplay is fun and pretty easy but thanks to that its very relaxing
cant wait to play more after work !

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
So, is there any strategy to pick the bonuses when leveling up your crystarium? I'm at lv. 28 or so so I've only leveled it once per character, but it's way more tempting to pick ATB and Role+ versus something like accessory weight increase.

I was wondering about this too, since I'm pretty much doing the same as above.

Baust

So how exactly does the battle music work? The one in Bresha Ruins is totally different from the one at New Bodhum. Does it change depending on the place?

Esura

Banned
Yeah. I'm about to fall asleep, but I got to about Lv 45 with Noel's Commando and Lv 47 with Serah's Blaster, and Bresha Ruins is pretty much a cakewalk with just the two of them. The balancing without the level caps just feel like it's been thrown out the window. The game is easier than I'd like it to be.

Not sure if I want to take on Atlas full-powered on Friday, since that might require extra grinding. I haven't used monsters yet.

Also, lol, I got a Pulse Knight finally. Bahahaha. That took a while.

Still can't stand Chocolina's voice or Kupo.

Yes. Her default outfit isn't very good.

How did you get in the lv 40s with their roles just at Bresha Ruins?

And I like Serah's default outfit, for varying reasons.

Wilsongt

How did you get in the lv 40s with their roles just at Bresha Ruins?

And I like Serah's default outfit, for varying reasons.

Leveling isn't hard in this game. I could sneeze and gain enough CP to level up about 10 times. Noel and Serah are already level 60+ in Com and Rav respectively and I am only 8 hours into the game.

rataven

I was wondering about this too, since I'm pretty much doing the same as above.

I took the role+ bonus on my first level up, and am planning on grabbing a new accessory slot on the next. I'm waiting on the ATB upgrade as five-starring battles is still a cinch. Unlocking the new roles is also tempting, but I haven't really missed them yet.

mr. puppy

Banned
Leveling isn't hard in this game. I could sneeze and gain enough CP to level up about 10 times. Noel and Serah are already level 60+ in Com and Rav respectively and I am only 8 hours into the game.

....you've got an odd way to play this game. you aren't supposed to just level up and grind like an mmorpg, its just flat boring.

RS4-

I took the role+ bonus on my first level up, and am planning on grabbing a new accessory slot on the next. I'm waiting on the ATB upgrade as five-starring battles is still a cinch. Unlocking the new roles is also tempting, but I haven't really missed them yet.
Accessories was close to the last for me as I didn't have much use for them.

Went for roles, atb, new classes then accessories

Wilsongt

....you've got an odd way to play this game. you aren't supposed to just level up and grind like an mmorpg, its just flat boring.

I haven't, actually. I've just been fighting all of the battles I've come across. The only "grinding" I could have been doing is hunting for a Pulsework Knight. I just don't spend my CP all the time. I wait until I'm getting my butt kicked and then I level up.

mr. puppy

Banned
I haven't, actually. I've just been fighting all of the battles I've come across. The only "grinding" I could have been doing is hunting for a Pulsework Knight. I just don't spend my CP all the time. I wait until I'm getting my butt kicked and then I level up.

oh yeah i see, thats what i'm doing

Esura

Banned

I've just been evenly putting points into my roles. When I think about it, I could of put all my points in one or two roles and ended up that far.

jorgeton

Also the CPs needed to raise each role goes up very slowly, so if you focus only on maxing out one role from the start, you could hit level 99 really quickly. I'm 15 hours in and Serah is Level 99 ravager, level 50 medic and level 50 Sab, Noel is level 99 Comm, Level 60 Rav, Level 40 Sentinel. I could've hit level 99 in their Comm/Rav roles much sooner but I chose to spread the wealth earlier on.

rataven

Accessories was close to the last for me as I didn't have much use for them.

Went for roles, atb, new classes then accessories

I kept winning a bunch of accessories in random battles, so I figured I was probably supposed to be using more of them. I may go for the new roles next then.

Wilsongt said:
I wait until I'm getting my butt kicked and then I level up.

My stategy here as well. While the battles aren't hard, it's suprising what a difference leveling a bit does for the battle rating.

Wilsongt

I've just been evenly putting points into my roles. When I think about it, I could of put all my points in one or two roles and ended up that far.

I've barely touched any other Roles with them. I've leveled Sen a few times for Noel to get Medigard and some HP bonuses from the big nodes, and for Serah I've been leveling up Med a bit to get some magic. Serah is such a shitty healer, though... She has a very limited spell selection.

Okay, so when picking the bonuses, does a new one replace any one you choose? Like if i want medic unlocked, it doesnt matter what I pick, it'll come up at the same point eventually? Also is it important to get medic (or anything specifically) as quickly as possible

scy

Also the CPs needed to raise each role goes up very slowly, so if you focus only on maxing out one role from the start, you could hit level 99 really quickly. I'm 15 hours in and Serah is Level 99 ravager, level 50 medic and level 50 Sab, Noel is level 99 Comm, Level 60 Rav, Level 40 Sentinel. I could've hit level 99 in their Comm/Rav roles much sooner but I chose to spread the wealth earlier on.

But the stat gain is better (slightly) staggered, or at least distributing the big spheres to them properly.

...not that min/maxing is really necessary or anything, I suppose.

mr. puppy

Banned

oh wow i'm dumb i don't have any animals yet and didn't realize theres like no point in making serah a comm. my BnB in the first was Sab/Com/Com to rav/rav/rav for stagger and thats all I need

Carbonox

I better not discuss this one time I only needed one more Overdrive for Tidus before I even left Besaid Island at the beginning in FFX then...

I sure as shit will grind in XIII-2 however. It's a habit I get myself in to in every RPG. Was annoyed that there were caps in FFXIII. :p

mr. puppy

Banned
I better not discuss this one time I only needed one more Overdrive for Tidus before I even left Besaid Island at the beginning in FFX then...

I sure as shit will grind in XIII-2 however. It's a habit I get myself in to in every RPG. Was annoyed that there were caps in FFXIII. :p

Grinding was fun on gran pulse, but thats b/c the rest of the game was so restricted and stupidly designed that it felt like I was at disney world.

desu

Here is what I think on leveling up

1. Most important
General: Try to get additional ATB bars (max is 5)
Serah: Max out RAV, including Role Level Up
Noel: Max out Com, Including Role Level Up

2. Semi important

You will barely need SEN/MED/SAB in the main story (only at the end, if at all). And in general there are not too many enemies that require having these roles. Best is probably to get SEN for Noel and MED for Serah. You dont need to max the roles out, but getting all skills and at least one role level up comes in handy. Then get at least one of them to learn SAB (or both). I always used a monster as RAV so I didnt level up Noels RAV, but you cam obviously do that too.

3. Whatever
Max out whatever is left (SYN should be last).
Get SYN for both: Your characters are useless as SYN, monsters clearly excel your characters so its better to go with a monster.
More weight?: Dunno what its called but accs are kind of useless in the game, there are only a couple of enemies where acc come in handy, but in general the game is so easy that you dont need better accs.

RS4-

For those that beat the game, I'm having trouble finding the fragment that lets me close the gate? reverse time? for AF
New Bodhum. Apparently it's located in AF
Academia

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Here is what I think on leveling up

1. Most important
General: Try to get additional ATB bars (max is 5)
Serah: Max out RAV, including Role Level Up
Noel: Max out Com, Including Role Level Up

2. Semi important

You will barely need SEN/MED/SAB in the main story (only at the end, if at all). And in general there are not too many enemies that require having these roles. Best is probably to get SEN for Noel and MED for Serah. You dont need to max the roles out, but getting all skills and at least one role level up comes in handy. Then get at least one of them to learn SAB (or both). I always used a monster as RAV so I didnt level up Noels RAV, but you obviously do that too.

3. Whatever
Max out whatever is left (SYN should be last).
Get SYN for both: Your characters are useless as SYN, monsters clearly excel your characters so its better to go with a monster.
More weight?: Dunno what its called but accs are kind of useless in the game, there are only a couple of enemies where acc come in handy, but in general the game is so easy that you dont need better accs.

Pretty much agree with this. I regret leveling up SYN.
Best Paradigms are 3COM, 3RAV, and 1COM2RAV. Though you can just autowin with the 3COM in almost every fight and get 5 stars.

jorgeton

oh wow i'm dumb i don't have any animals yet and didn't realize theres like no point in making serah a comm. my BnB in the first was Sab/Com/Com to rav/rav/rav for stagger and thats all I need

Yeah, Serah's role has almost exclusively been Ravager so far. She kind of sucks as a medic (no Cura... really??), but is nevertheless handy to have two healers (her + my dear Flanitor) going in the rare tough encounter. The only reason I'm upping Noel's Rav skill is for the tri-disaster paradigm, so I can stagger enemies much faster, but I keep him as a Comm. the majority of the time. Have yet to use their Sentinel or Saboteur roles but it's nice to have the flexibility there if I need it.

desu

Best Paradigms are 3COM, 3RAV, and 1COM2RAV. Though you can just autowin with the 3COM in almost every fight and get 5 stars.

And this too. One of my complaints back with the jp version was that that at some point staggering just got useless, so you just keep on rolling with 3COM for a huge part of the game.

kayos90

And this too. One of my complaints back with the jp version was that that at some point staggering just got useless, so you just keep on rolling with 3COM for a huge part of the game.

Yeah, some enemies you kill them with 3 RAV before you even stagger them. Other enemies the stagger difference is so large that there's no point in using 1COM2RAV. So I just usually use 3RAV. Game's waaaaay too easy.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I noticed they reused a lot of music from FFXIII. Talk about lazy. :(

But at least there are Chocobo theme variations in here... And a very slight variation of the crystal theme.

kayos90

But at least the Chocobo theme is there... And a very slight variation of the crystal theme.

I don't mind that they reused music since they actually fit in certain locales and situations. However, the new music like riding the stupid red chocobo. What the hell....

Toth

But at least the Chocobo theme is there... And a very slight variation of the crystal theme.

There is nothing wrong or lazy with a sequel using music from the prequel to enhance certain scenes unless there wasn't a lot of new music produced. The official soundtrack with all new music is 4 discs as is. Therefore, calling them lazy is very extreme.

Tizoc

So I've learned that there are only 200 'ability' nodes in the game; what roles should I learn abilities for?
Also, this game uses Auto-Save? How many other JRPGs use auto-save, I swear this is prob. the first JRPG I've played that does that.

desu

Im using Cait Sith as Med right now. Is there any monsters out there that are a better Med then him?

Depends on how far you are into the game. Green Chocobo is a top notch healer. In Augustia Tower you can get that slime thing with a alarm sign on its head, who is a healer too.

kayos90

Im using Cait Sith as Med right now. Is there any monsters out there that are a better Med then him?

Yeah, much later but don't use MED monsters. It's a waste. Just have Serah on MED and it should carry you until the later Episode 3 or early Episode 4.

Depends on how far you are into the game. Green Chocobo is a top notch healer. In Augustia Tower you can get that slime thing with a alarm sign on its head, who is a healer too.

All chocobo team baby! The red one kills me in like 4 hits in Archylte Steppes.

desu

So I've learned that there are only 200 'ability' nodes in the game; what roles should I learn abilities for?

Honestly, unless you go for perfection, just level up what you feel like. Imho the difference of using those bonuses is not noticable and the game is too easy anyway.

All chocobo team baby! The red one kills me in like 4 hits in Archylte Steppes.

Gold Chocobo should be a better attacker and easier to get (but rather late in the story), as he is in a treasure chest.

Mr.Fresh

Kayos90 said:
Yeah, much later but don't use MED monsters. It's a waste. Just have Serah on MED and it should carry you until the later Episode 3 or early Episode 4.

I just beat
Cauis for the 1st time
Been using Cait sith as a healer ever since I got him.

jorgeton

Flanitor, which you get in Augustia tower, is my current Med. His HP is on the low side, but he has great skills and his feral link is extremely handy.

Top Bottom