• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Esura

Banned
So far I've put about 10 hours into the game so far and I think I pretty much leveled up my Crystarium wrong from what some people told me. I skipped all the tutorials thinking it was going to be just like FFXIII.

So far my Serah has Lv. 22 RAV, and her other roles are between 15-20 with 78 strength and 112 magic. Noel has Lv. 19 COM and the rest of his roles are between 15-20 with 102 strength and 81 magic.

Should I start over or should I just stick with it?

I officially have no idea what to do.

I think i'm at chapter 3 and I'm kinda stuck

I just got to Augusta Tower, then the computer or whatever said it wanted to kill me, then nothing happened. I have no idea where to go, I went to other worlds looking for other gates but I can't find any :( help meeee, I got the fragment in Augusta tower it says too.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
I officially have no idea what to do.

I think i'm at chapter 3 and I'm kinda stuck

I just got to Augusta Tower, then the computer or whatever said it wanted to kill me, then nothing happened. I have no idea where to go, I went to other worlds looking for other gates but I can't find any :( help meeee, I got the fragment in Augusta tower it says too.

Leave Augusta Tower and go back and open any gates you haven't been to yet.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
btw: for the crystarium

sereh = rav
noel = commando

right? Can't go wrong pumping those catagories for them right?
Right. But you should play the game the way you want to play it.

And one last question: are any achievements missable? I want to go through the game once only but would like to not look at the guide until after. is that possible?
Nah. You can rewind time in areas to get stuff you missed the first time.

So far I've put about 10 hours into the game so far and I think I pretty much leveled up my Crystarium wrong from what some people told me. I skipped all the tutorials thinking it was going to be just like FFXIII.

So far my Serah has Lv. 22 RAV, and her other roles are between 15-20 with 78 strength and 112 magic. Noel has Lv. 19 COM and the rest of his roles are between 15-20 with 102 strength and 81 magic.

What are people telling you that you did wrong?

Stick with it. There is no "wrong way" to level your crystarium unless you level everything as a sentinel

Esura

Banned
What are people telling you that you did wrong?

That I didn't use Rav only for the large nodes for Serah and Com only for the large nodes for Noel so I can get stat bonuses. Until now, I've just been pumping points without any care about the large node big node stuff. Then I started noticing that Noel's magic was getting as high as Serah and I didn't know why so I asked around. I was trying to build Serah as my magic user and Noel as my tank warrior.

Zoe

btw: for the crystarium

sereh = rav
noel = commando

right? Can't go wrong pumping those catagories for them right?

And one last question: are any achievements missable? I want to go through the game once only but would like to not look at the guide until after. is that possible?

Those are the natural roles for the two.

You can't get all of the achievements without 100%ing the game. It is not possible to do that without replaying several parts of the game.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
That I didn't use Rav only for the large nodes for Serah and Com only for the large nodes for Noel so I can get stat bonuses. Until now, I've just been pumping points without any care about the large node big node stuff. Then I started noticing that Noel's magic was getting as high as Serah and I didn't know why so I asked around. I was trying to build Serah as my magic user and Noel as my tank warrior.
Ah. That's the way to max out your stats, yeah.

But honestly, first playthroughs aren't always going to be perfect. You're getting used to the game mechanics, so sometimes you're not going to catch stuff like that. I wouldn't start over if you're that far in, unless you really want to max out Noel and Serah's stats. Play the game the way you want to play it, not how everyone else thinks you should play it.

Bladenic

Newegg estimated it will arrive tomorrow. I have an interview and exam Thursday... must resist checking mail! But Thursday evening, it's on!

Esura

Banned
Ah. That's the way to max out your stats, yeah.

But honestly, first playthroughs aren't always going to be perfect. You're getting used to the game mechanics, so sometimes you're not going to catch stuff like that. I wouldn't start over if you're that far in, unless you really want to max out Noel and Serah's stats. Play the game the way you want to play it, not how everyone else thinks you should play it.

So I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Its not like it determines trophies or anything right?

I'm really liking this game and it's plot so far though, a bit more than FFXIII. Graphics seems off to me for some reason though.

RDreamer

I'm really surprised on how much I'm loving this. I was thinking about passing on it for a while, since we don't have a whole helluva lot of money right now, but then I decided it could count for my wife's birthday present to me (we usually pick out our own birthday presents). I played through about 6 hours today, which is astounding since I haven't picked up a game for more than 3 hours or so in the last 2 or 3 months. I'm pretty well addicted to this game. It's pretty refreshing with NPCs and the exploration and everything.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So I guess it doesn't matter in the end. Its not like it determines trophies or anything right?
Right.

With regards to levelling in general, I think there's only one trophy dedicated to that, and that's the "raise Noel and Serah to Level 99 in all 6 Roles in the Crystarium" trophy. You don't have to pay attention to maxing stats for that at all, so you can keep levelling them the way you're levelling them now.

ponpo

( ≖‿≖)
So, how often should I be leveling the monsters in my party? I'm hesitant to use any of the upgrade items on their crystariums since it seems like there is always a similar yet better monster around the corner, so I'd rather save the items.

Esura

Banned
Right.

With regards to levelling in general, I think there's only one trophy dedicated to that, and that's the "raise Noel and Serah to Level 99 in all 6 Roles in the Crystarium" trophy. You don't have to pay attention to maxing stats for that at all, so you can keep levelling them the way you're levelling them now.

That's probably going to be a hassle to accomplish.

I've decided not to start over though, but I'll probably still be somewhat mindful of where I put my points into.

mr stroke

Game has been pretty good so far but damn the cheesy music and dialog is really getting to me. Its so bad my wife walked in the room and started making fun of me :(

Really torn as this game can be so amazing(battle system, paradigms, monsters) and yet so terrible(music, character designs, and dialog)

Yasae

Banned
Hmm, just played the 360 demo. Those framerate drops are pretty bad, at least when you compare to its predecessor.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
So, how often should I be leveling the monsters in my party? I'm hesitant to use any of the upgrade items on their crystariums since it seems like there is always a similar yet better monster around the corner, so I'd rather save the items.
Doesn't seem like it's difficult to accumulate drops for the monsters unless you're going for 'potent' materials. Don't forget that Mana stuff will give stat bonuses to the monsters' MAG, Vitality stuff will give stat bonuses to HP, and Power stuff will give bonuses to ATK. Potent materials boost all three stats.

Don't forget you can infuse weaker monsters into stronger ones so that the newer monsters will get better passive abilities and stuff.

I haven't gotten there yet (ie: I haven't gotten the ability to get monsters yet), and I don't really plan on using monsters unless I have to, so... my monster knowledge--outside of a Kichu and a good SEN monster--will be rather limited.

Wow. I don't think I could ever platinum a RPG.
It's not that difficult, especially now that trophies for RPGs have gotten easier to get (ex: Tales of Graces, Tales of Xillia, Last Rebellion, FFXIII-2, Trinity Souls of Zill O'll). They're just quite time-consuming.

But some of the earlier games had really crappy trophies. Like Star Ocean 4. I haven't gotten the plat for that one because I don't have the patience at all.

Still in New Bodhum, so fun to talk to all the npcs or listen in on conversations. The little pack of cats was cute, as well as the three kids running along the beach, and the one little girl who keeps tripping. Already the game has more character than FF13 and I liked FF13.

But damn, im having a hard time finding the medical kit of that girl on the beach. Where is it?

RS4-

Still in New Bodhum, so fun to talk to all the npcs or listen in on conversations. The little pack of cats was cute, as well as the three kids running along the beach, and the one little girl who keeps tripping. Already the game has more character than FF13 and I liked FF13.

But damn, im having a hard time finding the medical kit of that girl on the beach. Where is it?

When you have to catch the kid that took something from uhh, one of the Nora guys, you'll eventually see a floating cube on the way to the crater

When you have to catch the kid that took something from uhh, one of the Nora guys, you'll eventually see a floating cube on the way to the crater

Okay thanks, Im about to head back there again.

So...does the Genji Bow make the first part of the game that much easier/ is it obtainable normally?

Speaking of the Genji bow, I used the gamestop code and I downloaded and installed it, but when I go to the games menu I dont see it. Serah alt costume is there.

Okay thanks, Im about to head back there again.

Speaking of the Genji bow, I used the gamestop code and I downloaded and installed it, but when I go to the games menu I dont see it. Serah alt costume is there.

You get it later for free off a vendor, right after you finish the first area. Its a good weapon, decent stats. Best is the 25% faster ATB rate.

Blizzje

Has anyone's Crystal Edition been sent yet? I ordered from TheHut and it looks like they aren't going to break the street date.

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
You know, I'd like to pretend this game used to be Chrono Break.

Honestly... it's really easy with this game. You can do most everything extra in order and it makes it fairly simple to obtain.

I had a hard time with ep. 3 part 1's boss though.

You know, I'd like to pretend this game used to be Chrono Break.

I had a hard time with ep. 3 part 1's boss though.

I had a hard time with that boss, too, and then I realized "hey, it's probably not as easy as everyone says it is... maybe I DO need to use the medic role sometimes." XD

Then I got through it.

I don't think I'm going to super boost one stat for each character like everyone is doing... I don't like enemies coming up with their physical resistance and then Noel not being able to do any damage at all because his magic is so low

"Who's this Snow person?"

Why oh why is there an option that says, "my hero"?

I wouldn't.

Every live trigger has a funny option... "What's he upset about?" Triangle: "Are you upset about the moogle?"

Teknoman

Is this anything like FF6 or 9? Is it as good as FF6, 9, 4?

Its not a new main series entry, so honestly I wouldnt really hold it up to those standards. It does have a ton of stuff that XIII should have had from the beginning though...and I will say I like the idea of "Cinematic Action" instances.

It's better then FF4 at least.

I found FF4 pretty meh, so I'd agree with that.

Blasphemy.

/nostalgic bias

Wow even the download content menu has a great theme. I cant see how any rpg game reviewer gave the sound in this game an average to low score.

charsace

Not even close.
Is that your answer for both of my questions?
Way more than XIII, that's for sure. It depends on the time period you go to, but there's plenty of flavor text, NPCs, towns that are inhabited, and bodies everywhere now.
I figured it would since the backgrounds don't look as good as the ones in FF13 and the models have slightly lower poly counts.

Its not a new main series entry, so honestly I wouldnt really hold it up to those standards. It does have a ton of stuff that XIII should have had from the beginning though...and I will say I like the idea of "Cinematic Action" instances.
Would you say its better than 13? I played like 20 hours of that and stopped because it was just tedious to run through map after map, the plot was a mess with things being cryptic for no reason and the script was just terrible with every other line making me cringe.

burgerdog

I think I'm going to use the big spheres for com on Serah(and Noel.) In 13 I liked going com com rav so I'll let the monster take care of rav duty. I don't mind rav damage being so weak when I'm trying to stagger a monster, once that's done and I switch to a com combo I want maximum damage from both or all three members. That worked quite well for me in 13 so unless something is drastically different here I should be okay.

If your looking for a world that feels lived in. Then yes it's Better. Area's feel like places and seem to have relevant things going on on them. There's a lot of corny npd dialogue that also adds live and makes it feel like stuff is happening and has happen in this world. But the world isn't connected. So you won't being leaving one zone for another by just walking around, making it feel a bit disconnected and not like an adventure if you ask me.

The story, well if you don't like XIII then I have my doubts that you will like the story here. Sure it feels like it has more personality and fun then XIII, but XIII's premise was at least interesting and felt like it had themes and points that maybe weren't executed well. I also don't think the dialogue was as bad as everyone claims. In XIII-2, Ive cringed at a lot of stuff. Some stuff has been funny in kind of a bad way. Noel seem like a likeable lead though and the story has some promise, but it just dosent seem as interesting. It also feels very random.

But I'm not done so i dont know.

I do know that going in expecting/looking for something as good as 9 or 6 is a pretty bad way to start. It is nowhere near the scale of those games storytelling and world building.

Did you play FFX-2?

mudkyp

Got some quality time with the game tonight and its pretty great. I like the main characters which makes this instantly better than XIII. Though, the epic amazing opening is such a horrible tease. I want that game ><

Top Bottom