• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Kagari are you rushing? (I hope my first playthrough is longer than that ._.)

I already beat the game once at 100%. This is a second playthrough. First playthrough for everything took 65 hours, but now I know where all the items are so I can breeze through it.

Cheska

...!

Oh my gosh. You can actually do this! Okay, for people who are still doing Clock Stopper, listen up:

Find a group of nonagressive enemies. Get the preemptive strike, and then when the party members cut the enemies, pause and select Retry. And keep doing this until the trophy/achievement pops. It's the same enemies over and over, and the enemies automatically appear after you start controlling your leader after you select retry, letting you PE them.

I'm such an idiot! Why didn't I think about that before!

Edit: I am now looking for someone to make a second confirmation for this. Someone volunteer to be my guinea pig!

Figured I would post an update on this. It totally works and I was able to get the Clock Stopper trophy. Easiest way to do it is to keep a tally, which I did in the form of 1-10 times ten rows. So:

etc

It's literally easy as pie, as you are brought back to the mog clock as soon as you press retry. Just preemptively strike->wait for the attack and "preemptive strike" to flash on sceen->press start and retry.

It's much more enjoyable if you play some music as it makes the times go by faster. I'm a little surprised that it's only a bronze trophy though :(

For a reference, I did this in
Oerba
after the Caius fight.

YOU GOTTA BE KIDDING ME!!!

Augustia Tower
200 AF
, first of all what an AWFUL random battle rate, so many of them.

And then in the end at the
Top of the tower with the 3 BOSS FIGHTS without any break and when you think it's over they give you this stupid answers to pick from and when you pick the wrong one the battle start all over again!!! WTF I'm soooo tired of fighting -.-"

Really? The boss has a six minute target time goes down in two minutes at most. Minute and a half if you're not using a retarded ravager that sits on 200 magic. Hell the "boss" can be staggered in seconds using Tridisaster.

pelicansurf

Needs a Holiday on Gallifrey
Hmmm... I seem to be stuck at semi-early
Oerba 200AF, I can't get the second puzzle/anomaly stage to start. I did the whole Snow storyline and I beat the paradox puzzle in Yaschas Massif 110AF. Was I supposed to do something right after beating that paradox?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Figured I would post an update on this. It totally work and I was able to get the Clock Stopper trophy. Easiest way to do it is to keep a tally, which I did in the form of 1-10 times ten rows. So:

etc

It's literally easy as pie, as you are brought back to the mog clock as soon as you press retry. Just preemptively strike->wait for the attack and "preemptive strike" to flash on sceen->press start and retry.

It's much more enjoyable if you play some music as it makes the times go by faster. I'm a little surprised that it's only a bronze trophy though :(

For a reference, I did this in
Oerba
after the Caius fight.
Thanks for confirming, Cheska! Good work. Yeah, I would've thought it'd amount to a Silver. Ah well, lol.

So to anyone else attempting the Clock Stopper trophy, forget about doing it legit. The method described (ie: get a pre-emptive strike, then let the characters hit the enemies to boost the gauge, then select retry, and complete the process over again 100 times since you're always brought back to the Mog Clock screen) completely works! It doesn't take long, and it's way easier than doing it legitimately, so keep that in mind.

burgerdog

Thanks for confirming, Cheska! Good work. Yeah, I would've thought it'd amount to a Silver. Ah well, lol.

So to anyone else attempting the Clock Stopper trophy, forget about doing it legit. The method described (ie: get a pre-emptive strike, then let the characters hit the enemies to boost the gauge, then select retry, and complete the process over again 100 times since you're always brought back to the Mog Clock screen) completely works! It doesn't take long, and it's way easier than doing it legitimately, so keep that in mind.

I was up to 44 doing it legitimately and then an uridimmu or whatever pounce on me, at least I finally captured it. :|

burgerdog

Just captured a behemoth from YM 10AF, I'm pretty low level still so I wonder if I should use it. Going to give it a shot, if the game gets too easy I'll swap it out.

rataven

Whew, Clock Stopper trophy acquired! Went ahead and fought the battles; pretty exhausting. But I have oodles of CP to show for it!

I'll admit, I really love having trophies in an FF game :) Can't wait to see what they come up with for X.

burgerdog

There is a specific strategy to capture it? I killed 20 or so (some with 5 stars) but nothing..

Kagari and Zoe both said that there's a fragment that increases the chances of capturing monsters, you get it very late in the game, though. Killing a monster with a feral link also increases your chances slightly. I got lucky and 5 star'd the second one I fought and killed it with a feral link ability. Funny enough I almost died to the one I fought after and the mog clock ran out so if I died I would have lost the one I captured.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Whew, Clock Stopper trophy acquired! Went ahead and fought the battles; pretty exhausting. But I have oodles of CP to show for it!

I'll admit, I really love having trophies in an FF game :) Can't wait to see what they come up with for X.
Complete Besaid's Cloister of Trials (Bronze)
Complete Kilika's Cloister of Trials (Bronze)
Complete Djose's Cloister of Trials (Bronze)
...you get the point, lol.
Upgrade all Ultimate Weapons (Bronze)
Defeat all Dark Aeons (Silver)
Win a Blitzball Cup (Bronze)
Complete the Sphere Grid for all characters (Gold)
Collect all monsters in every region. (Silver)
Defeat Omega (Silver)
Beat the game (Gold or Silver... depends on how generous they are)
Attack 100 enemies with their elemental weakness (Bronze -- this is more of a Namco trophy, though, because the same kind of thing exists in Xillia... only you have to do it 1350 times in Xillia, lol.)

Just think up fancy names for them and you'll get the idea.

Now if they were *really* mean, they'll introduce trophies for lightning dodging, and that butterfly stuff which was always hard for me because I can't see well. :/

Was It Worth It? (Gold) - Acquire the Tournesol

Iron Bladder Award (Gold) - Defeat Yiazmat without leaving the area, or pausing the game/opening the menu for more than 15 seconds at a time

Some Kind of Crazy (Silver) - Defeat Omega mk.XII without casting Lure and/or Reverse

Descent into Madness (Silver) - Defeat the Shadowseer and complete the Pharos Subterra

Risk/Reward (Silver) - Acquire the Zodiac Spear immediately following completion of Raithwall's Tomb

...wrong game

burgerdog

Iron Bladder Award (Gold) - Defeat Yiazmat without leaving the area, or pausing the game/opening the menu for more than 15 seconds at a time No thanks

Some Kind of Crazy (Silver) - Defeat Omega mk.XII without casting Lure and/or Reverse No thanks.

Descent into Madness (Silver) - Defeat the Shadowseer and complete the Pharos Subterra

Risk/Reward (Silver) - Acquire the Zodiac Spear immediately following completion of Raithwall's Tomb

...wrong game

Fuck yes to XII HD!

rataven

Now if they were *really* mean, they'll introduce trophies for lightning dodging, and that butterfly stuff which was always hard for me because I can't see well. :/

Lighting dodging....*shudders*

Though truthfully, I did eventually manage it. It's the stupid drunk chocobo Tidus has to race that kept me from getting all the ultimate upgrades.

The XIII trophies were grueling, but they gave the game some extra challenge and much needed side-quest type goals, like five starring the hunts, etc. I really enjoyed going for them. I think it was my first platinum too (or ACII, can't remember). I'll go for the plat in XIII-2 as well cause I'm a sucker for FF.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess

Iron Bladder Award (Gold) - Defeat Yiazmat without leaving the area, or pausing the game/opening the menu for more than 15 seconds at a time

Some Kind of Crazy (Silver) - Defeat Omega mk.XII without casting Lure and/or Reverse

...wrong game
Amazing. I'd be perfectly fine with this. :lol

On that note, I don't mind trophies/achievements in RPGs, that is if they're not nonsensical like the ones in Star Ocean 4, just because they scratch my completionist "have a perfect 100% file" itch.

Lighting dodging....*shudders*

Though truthfully, I did eventually manage it. It's the stupid drunk chocobo Tidus has to race that kept me from every getting all the ultimate upgrades.

The XIII trophies were grueling, but they gave the game some extra challenge and some much needed side-quest type goals, like five starring the hunts, etc. I really enjoyed going for them. I think it was my first platinum too (or ACII, can't remember). I'll go for the plat in XIII-2 as well cause I'm a sucker for FF.
I hope they don't include a trophy for that! Lightning dodging sucks. And so does that Chocobo race. And my vision (well, my sense of depth, to be specific) is pretty poor, so a lot of the butterflies blended into the backgrounds in Macalania for me. I managed it, but it took a while.

I got the FFXIII plat out of stubbornness. I was pretty indifferent to it overall, but I couldn't leave an RPG file--especially for an FF--not 100% complete. I'm going for the XIII-2 plat because I'm... just a completionist like that... :/

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
Finally it's now MY turn to play!
YAY!

dsc07863m.jpg

Which one I play!?
Lol

Carbonox

Did Amazon UK deliver for anyone? I'm still waiting for my post and I hope to God they deliver today. I preordered FFXIII-2 and the MGS HD Collection so either at the very least would be grand.

rataven

I hope they don't include a trophy for that! Lightning dodging sucks. And so does that Chocobo race. And my vision (well, my sense of depth, to be specific) is pretty poor, so a lot of the butterflies blended into the backgrounds in Macalania for me. I managed it, but it took a while.

I got the FFXIII plat out of stubbornness. I was pretty indifferent to it overall, but I couldn't leave an RPG file--especially for an FF--not 100% complete. I'm going for the XIII-2 plat because I'm... just a completionist like that... :/
Collecting those butterflies was brutal. I don't even know how I ever managed it. Pure luck. But I hear ya, it's hard to leave a stone unturned in an FF game. I always try to be as thorough as I can, though I don't stress about it too much on my first playthrough. I've already leveled kind of stupidly in XIII-2, but I'm going to try not to worry about it, and go for efficiency on the second run.

Stuart444

Just got the pre-order bonus pack through the door (royal mail), now I am waiting on my Crystal Edition (Parcel Force, please don't mess up today :( ) and my CE guide (sent by HDNL which aren't that good either :( )

xxczx

Ugh.
I can't get the pre-order bonus because I haven't paid a deposit, which Gamestation didn't ask me for when I pre-ordered it a year ago.

I knew something like this would happen :(
Second time now Gamestation have let me down, I'm turning to Amazon.

Did Amazon UK deliver for anyone? I'm still waiting for my post and I hope to God they deliver today. I preordered FFXIII-2 and the MGS HD Collection so either at the very least would be grand.

I checked and mine is coming tomorrow. They lowered the price by about 5 quid or so yesterday too. :-/

Well I bought the guide so I guess I'm reading that until the game falls on my doorstep.

Carbonox

I checked and mine is coming tomorrow. They lowered the price by about 5 quid or so yesterday too. :-/

Well I bought the guide so I guess I'm reading that until the game falls on my doorstep.

I guess I should have ordered the guide as well. Oh well, I can stare at my preorder code until tomorrow. Read between the lines, try and get story hints, etc. OMG THERE'S A Z IN THE CODE = SAZH?!

fml

Autofokus

Goddamn the music..

If I were not so lazy, I would make a Youtube Video, call it "what western developers can learn from XIII-2", cutting some epic trailer scenes from Bioshock Infinite and what-not together - all tuned to this theme.

Right so just got it from blockbusters, saw around 5 more people lining up to get XIII-2, odd as its not a busy time of day.

So excited to start, it better not need a firmware update or something...

Calmness

Neo Member
I don't care about getting most trophies or achievements unless they are from things that I was going to do anyway, like getting the five star rankings.

I went through Final Fantasy XIII getting five star rankings only. That was without skipping any of the enemies minus some during the first time through the Archylte Steppe since the characters could not get the statistics for it, but a lot of what it took for the rankings was just having the right statistics. The times it takes for the rankings change depending on weapon statistics, accessory statistics, and the statistics from the Crystarium system. In some cases where the characters have high enough statistics, it could be impossible to get the five star rankings. The time for a five star ranking could be lower than the time it takes for an attack animation to finish.

Perfo

Right so just got it from blockbusters, saw around 5 more people lining up to get XIII-2, odd as its not a busy time of day.

Same here in Rome in one of many retailers. I think the game is going to sell great in the West. I hope :D

Story spoilers for late episode 4 (I think?)
Did anyone else get stuck on the Graviton Core fetch quest? I made almost no story progress for a whole day because of it... I had no Wild Artefacts and I couldn't find the Graviton Cores whenever I went to Academia 400 AF or Oerba. So I spent such a long time doing whatever else (going for fragments hoping I would run into a Wild Artefact),
my characters have become so overleveled it's ridiculous. Every single battle I get into in this game lasts about 5 seconds, and I haven't even used any CP for about 8 hours.

Anyone else get goosebumps towards the end of the intro when
Light calls ODIN and he pushes her up and she goes to meet the meteor in the sky as Noel jumps down
.... wow the music & tension and everything was soo good in that scene.

Light calls ODIN and he pushes her up and she goes to meet the meteor in the sky as Noel jumps down

I found it hard to get invested due to lack of context.

Dunan

...wrong game

OK, now you've got me started!

Archadian Ardent (Bronze) - Hold 28 Pinewood Chops and one Sandalwood Chop at the same time

Want Fries With That? (Bronze) - Get Ktjn the Viera a job in a sundries store

Airships Make Me Happy (Bronze) - Without ever having used one yourself, meet the Archadian boy who looks down on teleport stones

Tchita Rally (Bronze) - Reach the Tchita Uplands or further on a chocobo caught in Ozmone

(And for the other Matsuno SE masterpiece, Vagrant Story, the titles, already in the game, that they give you for finishing the game with various constraints (no Break Arts, for example) would all make fine trophies.)

Perfo

I got moved too by it, I actually like this of M.Toriyama, he knows how to put some drama in those events he directs :D

Ashes2049

Neo Member
Really hope my copy gets delivered from play.com today. It was posted on Tuesday I think so hopefully it should be.
I've not really been that interested in this game during the development but over the past few days reading about it and whatnot i'm getting a bit excited. From the sounds of it I shouldn't expect too much from the story but the gameplay sounds miles better than XIII. I didn't get the guide for this so I wonder how well i'll do going in blind :)

orion434

For those that are pretty far in the game... level-wise. Is there any reason NOT to go full Strength / Magic with the Large Node bonuses for Noel / Serah? The official guide has Serah at almost Max Magic role bonuses, but Noel is littered with added Magic. Unlock Saboteur is Stage 4 for Noel... Why does the guide give Noel 104 Magic?

Top Bottom