• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Riposte

Nier's music is best when you ignore the game exists. Meanwhile FFXIII made great use of the soundtrack.

In a blind test, I doubt most could decipher that Tidus and Noell were created over a decade apart and in entirely unique games.

(Though most would hopefully agree they are equally embarrassing looking).

Are you out of your mind? Tidus has way worse design. It isn't even comparable.

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
I'm still mystified that Toriyama would say this is a darker tale than FFX-2, it seems like the fluffiest FF I've ever played.

Trust me, it's a pretty dark tale in the end. More than XIII surely. It just gets more and more oppressing with hours passing, it's a feeling that grows on you. To me is the Final Fantasy in which the general atmosphere depressed me the most. It sure starts as an intentional comedy story but later one... chapter after chapter, it gets creepier and darker by minutes ~

Aeana

I just unlocked Ultima Arrow, and it's pretty rad, especially paired with the butterfly bow for Serah that has ATB Charge 2 on it. I get almost a full ATB bar after using it.

I'm honesty surprised that
Serah has a short conversation with Not!Lightning
before the coliseum battle. Usually, they keep characters silent during bonus stuff like this so as not to disturb the precious continuity...

RPGCrazied

So, I found Vodianoi. But Caterchipillar is driving me crazy. I'm at the clear water marshes, its raining, and I'm not getting him to spawn. Its all robots, mud frogs, chichu look alikes, some medic cat, and a bunkerbeast look alike.

Not finished the game yet, I just arrived at the
4xx AF - Academia
. But I wanna know already, what I have to do to get the true ending?

So, I found Vodianoi. But Caterchipillar is driving me crazy. I'm at the clear water marshes, its raining, and I'm not getting him to spawn. Its all robots, mud frogs, chichu look alikes, some medic cat, and a bunkerbeast look alike.

Do you have Beastmania turned on? Try turning it off

Perfo

Thirteen flew over the cuckoo's nest
But I wanna know already, what I have to do to get the true ending?

There's no true ending. There's one ending and a secret ending a la Kingdom Hearts. To obtain this last one you need to collect all the fragments if I'm not mistaken. Other than this, also 8 paradox endings to collect after the ending.

Thoraxes

I thought we were bros. ;-;

We still are! This is just something I can't explain the feel of enough to people who haven't gone through the hardship. The first three months of studying chant and chant composers were fun, sure, but then once more religion spread and then I was memorizing pieces and names of chant composers for 2 years that covered over 50 countries, 50 methodologies, 5 religions, hundreds of composers, doing neumatic and neume analysis, and then the convoluted system, tuning systems, hundreds of foreign names and composers, 100's of interpretations, masses, mass orders, memorizing all the propers and ordinaries, over etc., it just becomes ingrained as hatred after all that time ;_;

Though newer chant-like the stuff now that's nothing like the old stuff (that people call chant nowadays is really just new-aged acapella music) is cooooooool though!

We still are! This is just something I can't explain the feel of enough to people who haven't gone through the hardship. The first three months of studying chant and chant composers were fun, sure, but then once more religion spread and then I was memorizing pieces and names of chant composers for 2 years that covered over 50 countries, 50 methodologies, 5 religions, hundreds of composers, doing neumatic and neume analysis, and then the convoluted system, tuning systems, hundreds of foreign names and composers, 100's of interpretations, masses, mass orders, memorizing all the propers and ordinaries, over etc., it just becomes ingrained as hatred after all that time ;_;

Though newer chant-like the stuff now that's nothing like the old stuff (that people call chant nowadays is really just new-aged acapella music) is cooooooool though!

I'll give you a pass, then. Strike 1, though! >:V

Also, holy shit, this Lightning/Amodar battle is HARD. Fun as hell, but I am getting the crap kicked out of me. @_@

Ricker

I want the Paradox ending that I was just told to do,in Orbea,don't want to spoil stuff since there is a tread for that but I'm still early in the game so I don't want to go in there...from what I gather from most people hating the end game,I guess that won't happen though and the story gets confusing and all over the place but so far I think it's pretty straightforward,as far as time travelling stuff goes,and I like it for now...

I think I'm finally going to hit some sort of dungeon so looking forward to that.

bubnbob

Banned
The chocobo races are awesome. I should have done this from the start.

And I get a bunch of stuff to re-sell too.

Fuck the slots.

Nose Master

Those box chests don't despawn after your first run through an area, right? There's two in 10AF (one behind a bunch of crates, and one by the projection head) that I cannot get to for the life of me.

bubnbob

Banned
Is there an item to increase monster crystal drop rates? Green and Blue Chocobos are kinda busting my balls right now.

Fragment Skill

Those box chests don't despawn after your first run through an area, right? There's two in 10AF (one behind a bunch of crates, and one by the projection head) that I cannot get to for the life of me.

Mog Throw

There's that one way-off-in-the-distance treasure orb in Oerba 500 that you clearly need Mog Throw to reach, but I can't make the throw accurate for the life of me (because you need to arc so high up that you can't see where Mog will land, and you have to do this on a platform that's about to rotate). Arrrgh.

Well I can finally beat Lightning DLC, no drop though of course lol. 0/2 only though as I tried before going to bed last night.

Takes me forever but I can do it! lol.

<3 Silver Chocobo. What should I be feeding him to level up?

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I totally agree. Years of choir and conservatory vocal has really turned me off to a lot of stuff like that. It's just like how I don't really care for certain types of lyrical content in games just because I had to sing that stuff for recitals or exams. I find that sort of thing a little boring as a result of having to do it so often.

Hi2u

Banned
Just beat the game with all achievements. Took 77 hours. 7 hours of that was idle and using the stupid slot machine to get the last fragment. Worst part of the game easily as it was entirely luck based and pointless. In the end I had to use an elastic band on controller to leave slot machine running whilst I did household chores.

The extra ending cutscene you see after getting 160 fragments was a load of nonsense and just made the plot more confusing than it already was?

All in all I thoroughly enjoyed the game. Plot was a bit confusing and contradictory. Time travel was used as a commodity for everyone and deus ex machina was the word "paradox" as the reasoning, but the gameplay was fantastic overall. Great locations, battle system and I loved the soundtrack and that's what counts in the end.

I'm an expert

Formerly worldrevolution. The only reason I am nice to anyone else is to avoid being banned.
Man I'm thrilled people are 100%ing the game since I love the 13 series but I've never seen such fervor for getting through a game like this. Even with the Japanese version it seems everyone was blazing through it not just to beat it but to plat it. Some serious Skyrim type play sessions going on I guess.

I might finally pick this beast up today..I popped in 13 last night to remember the battle system and the speed of it along with the visuals just shocked me like it did at release. 13 is so good..so..so good. I'm convinced all the hate for it on GAF is just a giant joke orchestrated to annoy me. In reality everybody totally loves it. Have a feeling it'll be the same with 13-2. People talking about "bad story" and "annoying moogles". Haha! Good one guys..a kneeslapper..

Hi2u

Banned
I'm convinced all the hate for it on GAF is just a giant joke orchestrated to annoy me. In reality everybody totally loves it. Have a feeling it'll be the same with 13-2. People talking about "bad story" and "annoying moogles". Haha! Good one guys..a kneeslapper..

Forum comments or internet speak are always overblown in a negative fashion when it comes to disliking things. Its the same as typing in a sickness on google and reading that it will lead to cancer every time or some other awful disease.

In reality if you like JRPG's then you'll enjoy this. End of story.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Forum comments or internet speak are always overblown in a negative fashion when it comes to disliking things. Its the same as typing in a sickness on google and reading that it will lead to cancer. In reality if you like JRPG's then you'll enjoy this. End of story.

I enjoy JRPG stories and i didn't enjoy this very much from a narrative perspective. Sorry, but despite the negativity possibility being overblown, many people firmly believe that the story is just bad period. Do I need to bring up my old posts again?

Forum comments or internet speak are always overblown in a negative fashion when it comes to disliking things. Its the same as typing in a sickness on google and reading that it will lead to cancer every time or some other awful disease.

In reality if you like JRPG's then you'll enjoy this. End of story.

If you like JRPGs for the sake of being JRPGs maybe...

Not that this is a bad game, it's just not great.

Wow, I cannot for the life of me beat Ochu. I can't deal with the adds, they just keep on piling up, plus he heals them like every 10 seconds. I think I need to get new monsters. Right now I have a Dragoon/COM, Bubaboo(sp?)/RAV, and a Green Chocobo/MED.

I have Chichu/Kichu but I have no idea how to properly level monsters(and characters).

mudkyp

Beat the game and thought it was all right. The story was fairly interesting and the ending didn't really bug me. Had a ton of fun, would do again. Bring on XIII-3.

Amir0x

Banned
Ha ha, I don't find it perplexing. I have just found that most people that I know who have played the game to really like it.

I'll admit that the game surely wasn't perfect and the game play wasn't the most articulate but I found it to be rather good. I play a lot of RPGs, Action, and adventure games along with plenty of other genres and didn't think at all that it was lacking. The game did have lots of fetch quests but that's so common in games now I must just be used to it. You could pretty much skip all the fetch quests anyway if you just wanted to focus on the story. I really liked the story to the game as well and found it to be very engrossing. The characters were easy to relate to as well which I think helps to get more into the story of a game.

I honestly played the game enough to get the platinum trophy and found every minute worth it.

I am definitely not doubting your love of it - there is a strong cult surrounding that Nier game and I've encountered others just as passionate about you. I was just a little confused as to why you were surprised I didn't like it... Nier is exactly the type of game that is filled to the brim with things I love to criticize, because these things tend to suck so hard. Plus I'm a big advocate for action games and tend to be unforgiving of wonky and otherwise shallow action combat. To compare recently, Kingdom of Amalur has an incalculably superior action combat system to Nier. And better writing, even though that's not saying much in this industry ~_~

fuckin' invisible treasure chests in FFXIII-2, took me a little while to realize I was forgetting the feature. Don't know how I forgot that

barrin87

I am definitely not doubting your love of it - there is a strong cult surrounding that Nier game and I've encountered others just as passionate about you. I was just a little confused as to why you were surprised I didn't like it... Nier is exactly the type of game that is filled to the brim with things I love to criticize, because these things tend to suck so hard. Plus I'm a big advocate for action games and tend to be unforgiving of wonky and otherwise shallow action combat. To compare recently, Kingdom of Amalur has an incalculably superior action combat system to Nier. And better writing, even though that's not saying much in this industry ~_~

fuckin' invisible treasure chests in FFXIII-2, took me a little while to realize I was forgetting the feature. Don't know how I forgot that

Well I can't say I can comment on how it compares to Amalur since I haven't played it yet. It looks fun but the story seems too shallow from what I have seen for me to spend the full $60. Plus I am a little preoccupied with FFXIII-2. I can forgive quite a bit when it comes to action if a game has an engrossing storyline which is why I liked Nier so much.

Aeana

Just taught my cloudburst vigor. Woo-hoo. Seems like a pretty awesome ability. I must try it out, but first I have to watch the last episode of Good Eats. (._. )

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I have a rubber band attached to my left analog stick so that I can get the chocobo trophy. I have other stuff to do anyway, so I'll just leave it on there for a while.

If anyone else used this method, how long do you think it took you? I think the steps are cumulative and not in a single sitting (because that would be utterly silly).

Goli

I have a rubber band attached to my left analog stick so that I can get the chocobo trophy. I have other stuff to do anyway, so I'll just leave it on there for a while.

If anyone else used this method, how long do you think it took you? I think the steps are cumulative and not in a single sitting (because that would be utterly silly).

I used that method too for about 10 minutes, got off and got the trophy, but then again I rode on chocobos a lot during my post game fragment collecting.

Top Bottom