• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Just wondering, is this game a better sequel than X-2 or not?

I liked this game more than 13-2, so I guess I fall into that category.

I guess you meant 13-1 there so yeah I guess you do.

If you meant 13-2 there then you have clearly played 13-3 already through some weird time paradox :p

Just wondering, is this game a better sequel than X-2 or not?

I'm interested to know what people think here; I have X-2 but need to finish X before playing it.

Actually the only FF I have completed is FFXIII even though I've played FF4,6,7,8,10, 12 but just couldn't complete them as I got burnt out at some point *hangs head in shame*

Need to get round to completing them..

So why doesn't anyone call Lightning "Claire"? I mean, she has a real name. At least Serah should call her Claire, she is her sister after all.

So why doesn't anyone call Lightning "Claire"? I mean, she has a real name. At least Serah should call her Claire, she is her sister after all.

This has been bugging the hell out of me for the longest time.

Why do they continue entertain her stupid name?

HER NAME IS CLAIRE

CLAIRE

IT'S A NICE, NORMAL SOUNDING NAME

Had the slots playing themselves for a while got into Super Victory Mode and then lost 75 turns in a row and ran out of coins, my luck sucks

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
Maybe everyone in XIII (and XIII-2) thought Lightning was a badass and cooler name than Eclair.

Why did she change her name to Lightning again?

Bladenic

It's mainly just Troy Baker and the fact that he has a nice build, and actually looks like he could possibly be an adult, which is more than I could say for Noel. I like Jason Marsden well enough, but Noel looks really goofy.

Translation: she wants to tap that with Snow. Not so much Noel.

Goli

Because emotional issues with her parents dying or some bullshit.

It's not really bullshit, women... no, people in general, tend to do things like that, or dying their hair/getting a new look or wardrobe and things like that after important/traumatic events in their lives. I thought it was a decent explanation for the name change and far better than just being called Cloud or Squall just because.

It's not really bullshit, women... no, people in general, tend to do things like that, or dying their hair/getting a new look or wardrobe and things like that after important/traumatic/ events in their lives. I thought it was a decent explanation for the name change and far better than just being called Cloud or Squall just because.

She could have named herself anything, and she picked Lightning.

That's different than being called Cloud or Squall since birth.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It's mainly just Troy Baker and the fact that he has a nice build, and actually looks like he could possibly be an adult, which is more than I could say for Noel. I like Jason Marsden well enough, but Noel looks really goofy.
I dunno... Noel looks like an adult to me; or at least some of the guys I went to school with who did marathon running had a similar type of build. Trim the hair a little and give him better clothes, and he'll look better, imo.

The only thing I liked about Snow was the part when he went shirtless for part of a chapter. Edit: And Troy Baker. The part where you can choose to sing a song and Snow responds that he can't sing for crap was pretty funny since Baker can actually sing well.

Well she doesn't really call her either of those names in the Japanese. She just says "sister."
Which makes sense in Japanese.

But in the English version, it's kind of weird that Serah never refers to her by her actual name, even in tender scenes. It's almost as if Lightning conditioned her to call her by her codename as opposed to her real name.

Goli

Yes, but she does say she was just a child when she picked that name, it must have stuck eventually so she must have decided to keep that. Or maybe it's just a nickname thing, like, everyone has that one friend that has some sort of nickname and everyone calls her/him that even if s/he has a nice actual real name. And that's far less stupid than being called Cloud or Squall since birth anyway.

Well, she went with Lightning because "It can't protect. It can only destroy." Which is a pretty dumb fucking reason for a girl who lost her parents and needs to protect her sister, but at least it's an explanation. I didn't realize she actually changed her name, I always thought it was a call sign that the characters just grew attached to.

I did like the Blitz squad naming themselves in honor of her though.

MechaX

I probably could have bought it if it was an actual military codename for her that just kind of stuck. XIII kinda had me thinking this until she flat out said that she "named her name." And then XIII-2 adds on to it by
having the Blitz Squadron that she served with name themselves stupid names in tribute of Lightning as opposed to the naming scheme being a thing of the unit originally.

To be fair, Serah calls Lightning Onee-san in Japanese. So the translators decided to make Serah call Lightning, Lightning.

To be fair, it does sound pretty unnatural English-speaking wise to always refer to your sister as "Sister" in a proper sense. Although, I suppose calling her "Big Sis" or "Sis" didn't really do it for the localization crew.

StuBurns

Banned
She often calls her Light too I think.

I don't think it's surprising she wouldn't call her Claire if she doesn't refer to herself as that.

I dunno... Noel looks like an adult to me; or at least some of the guys I went to school with who did marathon running had a similar type of build. Trim the hair a little and give him better clothes, and he'll look better, imo.

The only thing I liked about Snow was the part when he went shirtless for part of a chapter. Edit: And Troy Baker. The part where you can choose to sing a song and Snow responds that he can't sing for crap was pretty funny since Baker can actually sing well.

Which makes sense in Japanese.

But in the English version, it's kind of weird that Serah never refers to her by her actual name, even in tender scenes. It's almost as if Lightning conditioned her to call her by her codename as opposed to her real name.

Did nobody else notice how huge Noel's arms are? They're veiny, even.

He's no Chris Redfield, though

rataven

The only thing I liked about Snow was the part when he went shirtless for part of a chapter.

Yeah, Noel looks like an athletic, guy-next-door type of dude. I suppose Snow is attractive, but his personality is so off-putting. And he's hilariously immature. Noel may not be rocking the stud thing, but he has personality and humor in spades. Makes it easy to get over the goofy pants. And he shines even brighter when he's schooling Snow on his idiocy.

Toth

Yeah I know more on other forums.

Though I do know more people that didn't like XIII that ended up liking this one now.

Its how the FF fanbase is I guess.

I think Dark Schala said it perfectly when he said the games complement each other. One focuses on one area (linear story), the other on extensive subquests and lore building. Put them together and you have one heck of a great RPG. Separately however, their flaws often peek out of the cracks more easily.

Paches

Also, is there any handy guide people rely on for the bestiary fragment? Some kind of online checklist for every monster?

Amon37

Is this game short? I'm at chapter 4 but serah and noel are already maxed in abilities for there main roles and I've done no grinding

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Yeah, Noel looks like an athletic, guy-next-door type of dude. I suppose Snow is attractive, but his personality is so off-putting. And he's hilariously immature. Noel may not be rocking the stud thing, but he has personality and humor in spades. Makes it easy to get over the goofy pants. And he shines even brighter when he's schooling Snow on his idiocy.
His humour and snarkiness is what I liked about his character first and foremost. The rest is just frosting (plus I love his animations in battle and the speediness of his attacks). I can overlook the MC Hammer pants.

It really is too bad they didn't give Snow more time in the spotlight and expanded his relationship with Serah to demonstrate why they're good together, and to demonstrate their chemistry (if they had any).

Did nobody else notice how huge Noel's arms are? They're veiny, even.

He's no Chris Redfield, though
He does a lot of forearm exercises, I guess (and I think it's neat that SE at least included that in the character model). It shows that the guy is pretty ripped (and thus has low body fat) and serious about his training.

The day I see Noel punching boulders for a living is when he becomes the new Chris Redfield.

BluWacky

He should be the main character in the prologue and in a shock twist gets killed. Then the game turns into a murder mystery.

Sigma Harmonics crossover! Mix the Crystarium and the Deduction system. Each node on the Crystarium corresponds to a clue; get them all in the right place and you level up/solve the mystery.

BEST IDEA EVER.

Top Bottom