• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FINAL FANTASY XIII-2 |OT| Change the Future

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair
Oh, nothing inherently, it's just that when I was drawing the Twilight comparison and thought about "Team NORA" it just reminded me of the "Team Jacob" nonsense. :p

Team Jacob is just nonsense.

Sane people are obviously Team Edward, as vampires are way cooler than werewolves.

Jac_Solar

I just recently read several reviews of FF-XIII-2, and they noted that there are many openish locations that you can travel to, and you can select to travel to other levels by using a level screen of sorts. But I was wondering, does anyone know how many 'levels/areas/locations/maps' (Not sure how to define it like that, but any one of those should give a decent description? :p.) there are? And how open they are compared to any other open world game? They look very open from some pictures, but I don't think I noticed any of those in any gameplay videos.

Dunan

If you pre-order from Amazon, are you suppose to get a card or something with a way to download the DLC? I didn't get anything and I pre-ordered weeks ago...

I got an e-mail literally seconds after I ordered.

Of course, I'd definitely prefer the weapon over the Omega fight, but...

Zoe

I just recently read several reviews of FF-XIII-2, and they noted that there are many openish locations that you can travel to, and you can select to travel around in a level screen of sorts. But I was wondering, does anyone know how many 'levels/areas/locations/maps' (Not sure how to define it like that, but any one of those should give a decent description? :p.) there are? And how open they are compared to any other open world game? They look very open from some pictures, but I don't think I noticed any of those in any gameplay videos.

The only "open world" thing about this game is that once everything is unlocked you can warp to any location through the menu.

Sane people are obviously Team Edward, as vampires are way cooler than werewolves.

lol, my gf was watching me play this and she was snickering at almost every line (I was too) and I asked her how much she snickered while reading the Twilight books.

I actually skipped the cutscene right before the
first time jump where you go right into battle with Atlas the first time
, because I knew my soul couldn't handle it. I may check it out one day just to see what I missed.

Jac_Solar

The only "open world" thing about this game is that once everything is unlocked you can warp to any location through the menu.

I meant less-linear locations, I guess. Places that lets you explore, or even give you an incentive to explore. And are there lots of locations?

I meant less-linear locations, I guess. Places that lets you explore, or even give you an incentive to explore. And are there lots of locations?

I'm liking the environments way better than XIII's so far.

btw what's the point of being able to ride the chocobo around the crash site?

So you can travel around faster with no encounters?

Oh, I didn't know you could get back up on the ledge with the chocobo. I just thought you could ride it around the impact crater. >_<

Didn't consider the placement of it as you're coming back through the gate later, I guess.

From IGN: (Kinda sorta maybe spoilerish if you're over sensitive about spoilers)

Final Fantasy XIII-2 ends with a "To Be Continued" screen and offers almost no resolution to its plot. For a series deeply rooted in storytelling, this seems to indicate a much larger hole than simple DLC could fill.

Dah fuck ? Number 3 better feature Lightning as the main character again !

The_Monk

How far are some of the fellow GAFfers in this game?

I was wondering if someone could spare some time and give me some thoughts about the difficulty.

I love RPG's but 90% of the time I play them I don't finish because I end up stuck on a final/hard Boss... Also, do you need to level up/grind before fighting some Boss?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Zoe

How far are some of the fellow GAFfers in this game?

I was wondering if someone could spare some time and give me some thoughts about the difficulty.

I love RPG's but 90% of the time I play them I don't finish because I end up stuck on a final/hard Boss... Also, do you need to level up/grind before fighting some Boss?

Thanks a lot in advance!

I had to grind a lot... even after grinding enough to kill the final boss (which took a few tries), some of the enemies in the last level were still too tough.

I'm no expert though. Others will tell you this is the easiest game in the series.

desu

Well I thought the game was easy, only the final boss was a bit troublesome. However if things get too hard you can always switch to easy difficulty which makes things considerably easier. There are no penalties/trophy problems if you switch to easy and there is just a single trophy that requieres beating an enemy on normal.

As for grinding, its overall not really needed. However for the final boss and maybe 1-2 enemies I would invest some time in getting the right monsters and maybe some extra cp. This also depends on your playstyle, if you do story only you might need a little grinding, otherwise it might be easy to you. You also could just make a game breaking monster (which isnt all that hard and only requires and normal amount of grinding) and kill everything in the game without breaking a sweat (final boss in 1,5min for example :D).

rataven

Has anyone here platimun'ed the JP version? Is there anything as grueling as Treasure Hunter in XIII? Looks like most of the trophies are hidden, so it's hard to tell what's required. Being the FF completionist that I am, I'll probably go for it. I have no shame.

The_Monk

I had to grind a lot... even after grinding enough to kill the final boss (which took a few tries), some of the enemies in the last level were still too tough.

I'm no expert though. Others will tell you this is the easiest game in the series.

Neither do I. Can I ask you how many hours did you spent until the end even with grinding? Thanks for answering.

Well I thought the game was easy, only the final boss was a bit troublesome. However if things get too hard you can always switch to easy difficulty which makes things considerably easier. There are no penalties/trophy problems if you switch to easy and there is just a single trophy that requires beating an enemy on normal.

Wait, there is an Easy difficulty option? Can I choose that from the beginning? This is a great thing for me, because I wouldn't be looking for a challenge I just want to have a great time/fun playing this.

Zoe

Neither do I. Can I ask you how many hours did you spent until the end even with grinding? Thanks for answering.

Wait, there is an Easy difficulty option? Can I choose that from the beginning? This is a great thing for me, because I wouldn't be looking for a challenge I just want to have a great time/fun playing this.

It was about 45 hours or so. I probably could have done it earlier, but I just started collecting fragments and kept on doing that until I decided I wanted to watch the ending.

You can toggle the difficulty at any time. I don't know what it does other than get rid of Blood Damage though.

Jac_Solar

What? It returns to those extremely linear maps of the previous game? Most reviews have praised, to some degree, the non-linearity of this version as opposed to the previous game. And some pictures indicate certain areas are very open, and could even need a chocobo to get across faster/prevent players from getting bored by walking.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
One of my buddies brought the CE guide to class. Is it me, or does the hardcover binding feel puffier than the FFXIII CE guide? Anyway, it looks really damn nice.

Anyway, home now. Gonna fire this up and play for a few hours. Hope I have fun with the "game" part of it.

PK Gaming

I'm a couple of hours in, so far so good. <3 That summoner garb is just incredible, its really well designed, and when you compare it to the default, it looks even better. Honest, I don't think I could stand to look at Serah with her trashy default clothes. Why are they so bad :|

rataven

One of my buddies brought the CE guide to class. Is it me, or does the hardcover binding feel puffier than the FFXIII CE guide? Anyway, it looks really damn nice.

It does have a nice puffy feel to it. The CE box for the game has a softish texture to it as well. I really like the whole presentation.

RedAssedApe

Banned
So the game is harder than XIII? Some of the boss fights in XIII were rough but they mostly just required patience and discipline (i.e. healing and making sure that your characters always had status buffs to keep them alive)

Zoe

What? It returns to those extremely linear maps of the previous game? Most reviews have praised, to some degree, the non-linearity of this version as opposed to the previous game. And some pictures indicate certain areas are very open, and could even need a chocobo to get across faster/prevent players from getting bored by walking.

Non-linear as in you can go to some areas in different orders (though not to a great extent). The maps are always going to be linear.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
It does have a nice puffy feel to it. The CE box for the game has a softish texture to it as well. I really like the whole presentation.
lol, yeah, I couldn't help but to play with it a little bit. Edit: Oh yeah, there was a staff interview at the back or something, but I didn't get to read too much. There were references to "so and so's story will be told in an upcoming novel to be published in Japan."

I really love how the CE box feels. Very nice texture. I hope other SE games get this treatment in North America in the future, because I am very pleased with what I got with the FFXIII-2 CE.

RPGCrazied

I'm 4 1/2 hours into the game. Still in Episode II. Trying to find 1 more capsule for the medic guy. *consults guide* I only use it when I'm stuck, lol

This mightve been answered before, but is it possible to go back once the story campaign is complete to finish up side quests and unlock area and time periods?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
So the game is harder than XIII? Some of the boss fights in XIII were rough but they mostly just required patience and discipline (i.e. healing and making sure that your characters always had status buffs to keep them alive)

Way easier.

Jac_Solar

Non-linear as in you can go to some areas in different orders (though not to a great extent). The maps are always going to be linear.

But they claimed to have resolved, or worked on, the non-linear issues from the previous game, I thought? And those issues were pretty much all about the map design. Many reviews also claim that theres freedom to explore and such now.

Fans complain about linearity in FF-XIII > Devs reveal sequel, and say that they've heard the complaints from fans, and the sequel will now be much less linear, focus on exploration and so on > fans get to choose which linear path to follow?

:O

I lol'd so hard when she woke up and said "where did these clothes come from?" Trust me, this line will become infamous.

I rolled my eyes so hard that they almost got stuck at the back of my head :p

anyway...

8 hours in the game and dear god what an enjoyable experience I'm having, the last time I felt this good playing a FINAL FANTASY game was with FFX-2 in 2003.

now THIS is how you make a FF game SE.

of course I can't tell you how much I'm LOVING the OST, easily the best one we got in this gen.

btw... I LOVE CHOCOLINA <3

fits right in a FF game :p

MooMoo

Hm, unless I'm blind, my only real gripe with the CE Guide is that unlike the FF13 CE Guide, this one isn't numbered. Now I will never know if my copy is number 1 or some unimportant number like 157,269.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Somebody explain this Crystarium to me... Can Serah not learn both Blitz and Steelguard because they are on the same sphere?
From what I understood from the demo, it doesn't matter. The skills are dependent on the levels in which you learn them, not what sphere you get them on.

So, if Serah will learn Steelguard at Level X, she will learn it at level X no matter if you decide to level up something else on the sphere. What the spheres are for are little nodes that will become whatever you want them to become. Think of them like pluripotent cells--they're programmed to become certain somatic cells because you told them what they should be. So basically, she'll learn both skills because they're fixed to a certain role level, yeah?

Just note that bigger spheres will grant role bonuses to the character. I plan on leveling up Noel's Commando on those bigger spheres because he'll get the ATK bonus, and Serah's RAV to give her the MAG bonus.

Top Bottom