• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

shwimpy

Ferrio said:
So do higher tiers of the cyrstaltwhatever unlock just as the story progresses or is there certain things you have to do. I'm sitting on a ton of points wanting to spend but I've maxed out in the things I want to throw it at.

Indeed... save them!

DominoKid

RustyNails said:
Is he Sazh's voice actor? If so, dude did an awesome job so far. He's really bringing Sazh's character to life. When Square first promo'd FF13 with Lightning and Sazh, I had to facepalm myself over Sazh. But now, I think he's becoming one of my fav FF characters.

Sazh's VA is Reno Wilson. he's best known to me as Theo's friend Howard on the Cosby Show

Fun Factor

Formerly FTWer
woah, just got to the crystal lake bit in Ch.2.

The combat has completely changed.

I get the gist of it, but it goes so fast, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
My character is casting Ruin (which I don't know what that is) & some others are casting Areo (which I don't know how I can control when they cast it). Plus all of a sudden I have 3 ATB gauges for Lighting etc etc...

Will selecting Slow in the options help understanding this a bit more?

cosmicblizzard said:
I just realized something. I've barely used auto-battle at all the entire game. I do use repeat a lot but I've gotten by just fine inputting my own commands.

Is there an option to stop the game, when you are selecting inputs like the past FF games?
Or at least is there a way to select the individual actions for each of your team members (doesn't seem possible at the speed the game is going).

Ferrio

Banned
FTWer said:
Is there an option to stop the game, when you are selecting inputs like the past FF games?
Or at least is there a way to select the individual actions for each of your team members (doesn't seem possible at the speed the game is going).

You only have the option of selection the options for the character you're controlling.

FTWer said:

I get the gist of it, but it goes so fast, I don't know what the hell I'm doing.
My character is casting Ruin (which I don't know what that is) & some others are casting Areo (which I don't know how I can control when they cast it). Plus all of a sudden I have 3 ATB gauges for Lighting etc etc...

You'll probably get the hang of it eventually. Selecting slow might help to learn it.

And unfortunately, you have no control over what your characters do outside of shifting their paradigms. All that does is narrow down what role they play in battle. Now the A.I. is indeed very smart and will usually make better decisions than a player would but I still wish you could control everyone.

FTWer said:

No, FFXIII does not have a Wait option. You can slow the rate at which ATB is recharging.

Ruin is a non-elemental damage. Think of it as a non-elemental spell for Commandos. Others are casting according to their Paradigm and their own ATB.

Get a feel for it and you will be fine. Remember you can execute an early action e.g. 2 out of 3 attacks by pressing Triangle, as well as cancel actions by pressing X. Also, if you use abilities manually you can scroll to "Abilities", hold right and you will be able to repeat last input of commands without having to press them again.

I'm not sure if anyone is having trouble with the ch 10 boss, but here's a 5 star strat.

Chapter 10 boss.. 5 star rating
Near maxed crystarium.
Party: Lightning, Sahz, Vanille
Weapons: lv 10-13 Gladius, Deneb Duellers, and Belladonna Wand.
Accessories: +200 hp, +50 mag/str

Paradigm Cancel Set 1: com/com/rav - rav/rav/rav
Paradigm Cancel Set 2: com/syn/sab - rav/syn/sab
Paradigm Cancel Set 3: com/rav/med - med/rav/med

If you want to totally destroy this boss (or any main story boss) without any effort, use a Fortisol and Aegisol before battle. This will let you ignore having to cast any buffs and you can button mash it down with only light healing. If you choose not to use Fortisol/Aegisol, you'll have a longer but still manageable fight.

Start with cancel set 2 until everybody has haste. Switch between 1 and 3 to stagger him quickly while keeping your health up. Once he's broken try to do as much damage as possible while juggling him (a good trick to solo juggle him with Lightning is hit triangle/circle to keep spamming Launch, because the first Commando hit is always a Launch) - you can only stagger him once because it takes far too long to stagger him again after he uses Metamorphosis. He has relatively low HP so just wail on him then summon odin once the stagger is over and you should cover enough damage to finish him off. If he buffs himself you are in trouble - switch to set 2 and try to debuff him. I beat him in 2:50 out of 8:29 without using fortisol/aegisol, and he didn't have a chance to buff himself. Maybe that was just luck, but anyway..

KTallguy

Banned
Ruin is basically a long range "attack". Don't think of it as magic.

You can't control your other party members directly at all. Just use the Paradigms to control what kind of attacks they will use.

If they are using Aero, chances are it's your best spell for that situation.

Zzoram

The early chapters are longer than I expected. I'm still on Chapter 4 apparently, but I'm 10 hours into the game. I must be nearing the end, it's been Chapter 4 for so long.

omg rite said:
:lol

If there's "quite a bit of slowdown" it's literally impossible to not notice it. You have multiple people on PS3 and 360 saying there was no slowdown in that area yet you're trying to tell us we're wrong because you have magical leprechaun eyes?

all of those people, including yourself, are wrong. if you don't notice it, that's great, and i'm somewhat envious as i wish i didn't notice such things either.

hehe this discussion is reminding me of last year when grin's bionic commando came out and people were telling me they couldn't notice the screen tearing in the 360 version of that game.

Balya

VegaShinra said:
I don't know if I did something or not but is the NA version using the same trophy listing as my import version? I didn't unlock the opening trophies and in my trophies it just lists the ones I got in the Japanese version.

So no double trophies here?

Don't know if anyone replied to this (it was like 30 pages ago) but I just noticed the same thing yesterday when comparing trophies with someone playing the US version. Glad I went with 360 domestic, then.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
Question for those who have pass or are in the end of FF13.

How fun is the battle system? In my opinion, End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) Battle System is damn fun, I have played that demo more than 30 times.

So will I find FF13 Battle System fun ones I get the game?

That is my only curiosity, I know the characters/graphics/story of FF will be interesting enough for me to enjoy, but the battle system is nothing of what I imagine it was going to be when I first saw the FF13 E307 trailer.

nope you can't double up on trophies for this game.

-DarKaoZ- said:
That is my only curiosity, I know the characters/graphics/story of FF will be interesting enough for me to enjoy, but the battle system is nothing of what I imagine it was going to be when I first saw the FF13 E307 trailer.

once you unlock paradigm shift and the crystarium the battle system opens up and becomes tons of fun.

Zzoram

WickedLaharl said:
all of those people, including yourself, are wrong. if you don't notice it, that's great, and i'm somewhat envious as i wish i didn't notice such things either.

hehe this discussion is reminding me of last year when grin's bionic commando came out and people were telling me they couldn't notice the screen tearing in the 360 version of that game.

I don't know about the Lake area in particular, but I've noticed a bit of slowdown throughout the game (PS3). I tend to spot it when the camera is turning. Overall, the framerate is still a pretty solid 30fps with some dips, but all games get dips. The dips aren't enough to effect gameplay, since they don't usually seem to happen in-battle, only while walking around.

ZeoVGM

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
all of those people, including yourself, are wrong.

:lol

No, we're not. Maybe there was a little slowdown we didn't notice. However, you're saying there was a LOT of it. If that were true, it would be impossible to not notice it.

Get off your high horse. You sound like an ass.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
Holy shit, chapter 4 is really long. I should almost be done with it, this area is really dragging on and yet I'm still being entertained by the combat. Good stuff.

Zzoram said:
I don't know about the Lake area in particular, but I've noticed a bit of slowdown throughout the game (PS3). I tend to spot it when the camera is turning. Overall, the framerate is still a pretty solid 30fps with some dips, but all games get dips. The dips aren't enough to effect gameplay, since they don't usually seem to happen in-battle, only while walking around.

oh i agree that it isn't enough to affect gameplay especially since it happens outside of battle.

anyways it's not a big deal. i was just throwing it out there as a possible reason as to why someone might possibly dock this game graphics score.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Question for those who have pass or are in the end of FF13.

How fun is the battle system? In my opinion, End of Eternity (Resonance of Fate) Battle System is damn fun, I have played that demo more than 30 times.

So will I find FF13 Battle System fun ones I get the game?

I've cleared level 10 of the EoE demo and I'm in ch 10 of FFXIII.

The battle system has its moments if you avoid grinding or abusing shrouds, and go for 5 stars. Otherwise it's just a lot of switching paradigms and hitting auto-battle.. actually going for 5 stars is also like that, but you need a little smarter pre-battle setup.

The EoE demo, at level 10 at least, was more challenging, because you had to switch targets in real time very quickly while doing an IA to cancel enemy attack gagues, or risk being one shot and thrown into danger mode. I hear the actual retail game is easier due to imbalanced gameplay mechanics, though.

Zzoram

Jamesfrom818 said:
Tifa and Aeris were alright.

Aeris was supposed to be young, they just didn't have the polygons to make her age clear. Final Fantasy VII didn't even have hands on their characters.

Zzoram

mjemirzian said:
I've cleared level 10 of the EoE demo and I'm in ch 10 of FFXIII.

The battle system has its moments if you avoid grinding or abusing shrouds, and go for 5 stars. Otherwise it's just a lot of switching paradigms and hitting auto-battle.. actually going for 5 stars is also like that, but you need a little smarter pre-battle setup.

The EoE demo, at level 10 at least, was more challenging, because you had to switch targets in real time very quickly while doing an IA to cancel enemy attack gagues, or risk being one shot and thrown into danger mode. I hear the actual retail game is easier due to imbalanced gameplay mechanics, though.

That's how I find myself playing it, and it seems to be the way it's meant to be played. Sometimes I'll use Libra as an opener.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
so, is every chapter, other than the Pulse chapter, structured in the long hallway consisting of basically the same backdrop with cutscenes and flashbacks used as punctuation with a boss fight to cap it off?

Because, you know, I'm liking the game, but I'm at the end of Chapter 5 (Research Forest thing) and I'm starting to feel like the game has exhausted its bag of tricks. It was such a waste of a really cool looking environment.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Aeris was definitely older than Cloud. I remember that.

Also, wow. Whitewood is beautiful. I'm liking the relationship between Lightning and Hope too.

Spoilers about the two ladies that arent on the box:

holy shit, they where asleep hundreds of years? So i guess the world is like star wars where even after thousands of years, tech never really got much better it seems, because they dont seem to have any problems with the high tech stuff. Anyway, just thought that was pretty interesting.

Pooya

Gamer @ Heart said:
Spoilers about the two ladies that arent on the box:

holy shit, they where asleep hundreds of years? So i guess the world is like star wars where even after thousands of years, tech never really got much better it seems, because they dont seem to have any problems with the high tech stuff. Anyway, just thought that was pretty interesting.
they actually have problems using tech. Vanille couldn't fly the air bike to get to the falcie so she made Hope do it.

Zzoram

Rez said:
so, is every chapter, other than the Pulse chapter, structured in the long hallway consisting of basically the same backdrop with cutscenes and flashbacks used as punctuation with a boss fight to cap it off?

Because, you know, I'm liking the game, but I'm at the end of Chapter 5 (Research Forest thing) and I'm starting to feel like the game has exhausted its bag of tricks. It was such a waste of a really cool looking environment.

It is my understanding that Chapter 1-10 have the same structure, 11 is Pulse with side quests, then 12-13 go back to the original structure.

miladesn said:
they actually have problems using tech. vanille couldn't fly the air bike to get to the falcie so he made Hope do it.

Hmm. I guess, but i doubt many people in that world would be apt at controlling something like that.

After falling asleep with the controller in my hands, I don't think I can deny anymore what I had been suspecting for the near 20 hours I've played so far: this game is boring. That in and of itself isn't too bad because I still find myself wanting to play it despite the fact that it makes me super drowsy and want to do something else, but then I think about the gross amount of resources that went into the making of this game and it's almost insulting. The structure of the game is just so monotonous that even though I like the combat, I can't play for very long before I have to turn off my PS3 and look for something else to do. I didn't think the departure from the town-overworld-dungeon formula would have this effect, but I suddenly appreciate what each of these things do to break up and vary gameplay bits much more.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
MegaKungFuRadio said:
After falling asleep with the controller in my hands, I don't think I can deny anymore what I had been suspecting for the near 20 hours I've played so far: this game is boring. That in and of itself isn't too bad because I still find myself wanting to play it despite the fact that it makes me super drowsy and want to do something else, but then I think about the gross amount of resources that went into the making of this game and it's almost insulting. The structure of the game is just so monotonous that even though I like the combat, I can't play for very long before I have to turn off my PS3 and look for something else to do. I didn't think the departure from the town-overworld-dungeon formula would have this effect, but I suddenly appreciate what each of these things do to break up and vary gameplay bits much more.
^ I am still enjoying myself but there is so much truth in this post.. sadly.

I got tired while playing to honestly, which is why i now enjoy podcasts during all the combat. After i hit Ch. 7, i actually want more cutscenes and look forward to them now more than ever.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
Zzoram said:
That's how I find myself playing it, and it seems to be the way it's meant to be played. Sometimes I'll use Libra as an opener.
I don't understand what's wrong with switching paradigms and doing auto-battle. It's one thing to not like the way it works, but it's weasel wordy to claim the system is "just switching paradigms and pressing auto battle." You make it sound like switching paradigms is as simple as "attack" and "heal." It's not.

It just feels like everyone whining about the battle system missed what SE was trying to do with the battle system; to have an ATB turn based battle system where it doesn't feel like people are just standing around.

Not only that, but the claim that you don't have control over the other two people in your party is nonsense. You have plenty of control over what they are doing. That argument would only make any sense if you would agree that it would be fun to slow down the pace of battles by 3 times in order to give you a chance to assess what you want to do and that the AI is stupid and does the wrong thing, but it doesn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom