• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Le-mo

Jeels said:
I can understand genuine concern and being disappointed about the game, but in no way shape or form is this a 5, objectively or subjectively speaking. Baiting for hits is what it is.

Also, loving vocals in the tracks.
Anything below a 7 is laughable for a game of this caliber.

feep said:
It wouldn't work any other way. FFXIII decides your party members for you, with no options, based on story events and circumstances. It would be ridiculous for one character to be overpowered because they get more facetime in the plot.
You mean you can't change party members manually? Isn't there an option for that in the paradigm slot?

ZeoVGM

Banned
WickedLaharl said:
maybe the reviewer didn't care for the immense amount of slowdown in that area?

but i agree, even with the slowdown, that it look amazing.

I'm playing it on 360 and there was no immense amount of slowdown in Lake Bresha. I don't remember seeing any at all.

Dresden

I can understand the 5 score... it's really just combat-cutscenes-combat for most of the game, from what I can tell. I really like it, but asides from the awesome battle system, there's no innovation, just a lot of cuts.

Also, am I just going insane or is Vanille getting more bearable as time goes on? Nom nom.

Firestorm

End of Chapter 4:
I hate Odin so so so much

Mandoric said:
Alive: character gets CP
Dead: character gets CP
Not in party: character gets CP
Haven't even met yet: character still gets CP
Awesome. Was about to ask about this.

Le-mo

WickedLaharl said:

on chapter 3 i found a way to get the enemies to respawn so i'll probably be stuck in this area for awhile.
SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif

Styles

Dresden said:
I can understand the 5 score... it's really just combat-cutscenes-combat for most of the game, from what I can tell. I really like it, but asides from the awesome battle system, there's no innovation, just a lot of cuts.

Also, am I just going insane or is Vanille getting more bearable as time goes on? Nom nom.

Yeah, she becomes much much better. What chapter are you up to?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
WickedLaharl said:

on chapter 3 i found a way to get the enemies to respawn so i'll probably be stuck in this area for awhile.

What slowdown? I didn't see any slowdown in the lake area...

Feep

Banned
Le-mo said:
You mean you can't change party members manually? Isn't there an option for that in the paradigm slot?
It's grayed out until Chapter 11, I believe...I'm on Chapter 9 and I've never seen it active.

Le-mo said:
Anything below a 7 is laughable for a game of this caliber.

when will people stop with this shit? the reviewer gave it the score he felt the game deserved and just because you don't agree with doesn't mean there was some sinister motivation for giving said score.

Le-mo said:
http://www.bestweekever.tv/bwe/images/2010/01/SIMON-CONFUSED-GIF.gif[/IMG]

you might not notice it but there is quite a bit of slowdown in that area.

Swag

So I was getting lots of Final Fantasy 8 vibes from the Bodhum area

Everyone being at the same place before actually meeting in the main story

Game's awesome though, I wish the pacing would pick up a bit. Need more Eidolons / Fang.

C4Lukins

I have enjoyed the first nine hours of the game. The convoluted story that people mention has not shown its face yet. Actually it makes more sense then your average FF games up to this point. And I enjoy all of the characters minus Hope.

I think if you approach it as a Final Fantasy game, and have the certain expectations of what it has to be then it is definitely disappointing in a lot of aspects. I would prefer to control all of my characters individually in battle, have a more open world, towns, more then three characters at a time in an engagement, a wider variety of loot, and a greater less linear ability to customize characters. But if you ignore the things you expect out of the series, and enjoy it for what it does right, then it is a lot of fun. It is not what I wanted, but it is something that is enjoyable in a different sort of way then I expected. Of course I am only nine hours into it, so maybe it will go to shit at any moment.

Le-mo

WickedLaharl said:
when will people stop with this shit? the reviewer gave it the score he felt the game deserved and just because you don't agree with doesn't mean there was some sinister motivation for giving said score.

never

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the game has lots of money spent on presentation, and is part of a 'AAA' series, therefore it's at least a seven.

that's how it works, get with the program.

i think the story so far is a bit shit but i'm willing to let it slide since i'm so early in the game.

for me, the battle system, music, graphics and presentation is winning me over despite the things i don't like.

seriously the music is so good coupled with a few scenes it managed to evoke strong emotions from me.

oh yeah, and i need to give a shout out for my man troy baker for turning a potentially annoying character into a good one.

Swag

My roomates were watching me play and all throughout the first 3 chapters we were cracking up at the sounds that Vanille was making. Kept sounding like she was about to orgasm :lol

WickedLaharl said:

I'm sorry, this is not up for defence with same ol' "this is my opinion" BS. You (in this case, Edge reviewer) still have to support your points and the final score. Just saying "I can give whatever to a game, since the review is my opinion" won't do. People have problem with Edge review because even with highlighting negative points there is still no way this game is a 5 out of 10.

Le-mo said:
So we all agree that Wicked is anti-final fantasy.

what makes you say that?

nah, it does come down to being the reviewers opinion. spin it any way you want but for the vast majority (exceptions being review flaws that make it obvious the reviewer didn't play the game or didn't play very much of it) of game reviews it's the truth.

WickedLaharl said:

Honestly speaking, I didn't even notice that there was slowdown. Truth. God's honest truth. People getting too caught up in too much silly bullshit to be enjoying games these days.

Firestorm

Le-mo said:
So we all agree that Wicked is anti-final fantasy.
Nope. You're just a dumbshit that's all.

Castor Krieg said:
I'm sorry, this is not up for defence with same ol' "this is my opinion" BS. You (in this case, Edge reviewer) still have to support your points and the final score. Just saying "I can give whatever to a game, since the review is my opinion" won't do. People have problem with Edge review because even with highlighting negative points there is still no way this game is a 5 out of 10.
Alright hotshot, why do you think his text didn't support his score of 5/10 or "Average"?

RustyNails said:
Honestly speaking, I didn't even notice that there was slowdown. Truth. God's honest truth. People getting too caught up in too much silly bullshit to be enjoying games these days.

it didn't bother me too much since the area is so damn pretty and it happens outside of battle.

Seda said:
Best voice in the game. If it weren't for him, Snow would have been completely unbearable.

Seriously. Just stop and think how annoying Snow would be if he sounded like the archtypal fist pump high energy protagonist. ARRRGH.

just imagine how bad it would have been if snow were voiced by johnny yong bosch D:

ZeoVGM

Banned
WickedLaharl said:

:lol

If there's "quite a bit of slowdown" it's literally impossible to not notice it. You have multiple people on PS3 and 360 saying there was no slowdown in that area yet you're trying to tell us we're wrong because you have magical leprechaun eyes?

Seda said:
Best voice in the game. If it weren't for him, Snow would have been completely unbearable.

Seriously. Just stop and think how annoying Snow would be if he sounded like the archtypal fist pump high energy protagonist. ARRRGH.

Honestly, Troy Baker fits the high energy shonen protagonist role a lot more than most VAs. He's definitely a better pick than JYB.

Edit: Yuri Lowenthall would also probably be a good choice.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
omg rite said:

If there's "quite a bit of slowdown" it's literally impossible to not notice it. You have multiple people on PS3 and 360 saying there was no slowdown in that area yet you're trying to tell us we're wrong because you have magical leprechaun eyes?

Firestorm said:
Nope. You're just a dumbshit that's all.
That is really uncalled for. I'm sure we can discuss things without insulting people. Its just a goddamn game. Not worthy to insult other human beings over it.

omg rite said:

:D
Maybe his super magical leprechaun eyes can notice miniscule 2fps drop that is unnoticeable to us normal, mortal folk with non-leprechaun eyes?

Dresden

I'm glad people are seeing the light of Troy Baker's awesomeness. Baker and Bailey pretty much make any Sera/Snow cutscenes tolerable.

Firestorm said:
Alright hotshot, why do you think his text didn't support his score of 5/10 or "Average"?

It's not a matter of review supporting the final score, I can write a review blasting GoW III for being generic hack-and-slash with very stereotypical protagonist, doing things "bigger and larger" than the two PS2 games, and give GoW III a 5/10 or 6/10. I won't do that because everyone could see this is stupid. Same is 5/10 for FFXIII.

I just realized something. I've barely used auto-battle at all the entire game. I do use repeat a lot but I've gotten by just fine inputting my own commands.

iratA

Up to chapter 9 now (23hrs). This game is just so beautiful, the graphics whore inside of me is very pleased :D . Can someone give me a rough idea percentage wise how much more I've got to go?

Swag

cosmicblizzard said:
I just realized something. I've barely used auto-battle at all the entire game. I do use repeat a lot but I've gotten by just fine inputting my own commands.

I found this a bit slow for me, so I use auto battle near exclusively, except when I have to assign support / enfeeble magics.

Dresden said:
I'm glad people are seeing the light of Troy Baker's awesomeness. Baker and Bailey pretty much make any Sera/Snow cutscenes tolerable.
Is he Sazh's voice actor? If so, dude did an awesome job so far. He's really bringing Sazh's character to life. When Square first promo'd FF13 with Lightning and Sazh, I had to facepalm myself over Sazh. But now, I think he's becoming one of my fav FF characters.

remz

RustyNails said:
Is he Sazh's voice actor? If so, dude did an awesome job so far. He's really bringing Sazh's character to life. When Square first promo'd FF13 with Lightning and Sazh, I had to facepalm myself over Sazh. But now, I think he's becoming one of my fav FF characters.
Baker is snow I think, haha

GhaleonQ

Rez said:
the game has lots of money spent on presentation, and is part of a 'AAA' series, therefore it's at least a seven.

that's how it works, get with the program.

If they were in any sense consistent in their application of such rules, you'd be right. This is the GAMES INDUSTRY, Rez. Hobby horses only.

Ferrio

Banned
So do higher tiers of the cyrstaltwhatever unlock just as the story progresses or is there certain things you have to do. I'm sitting on a ton of points wanting to spend but I've maxed out in the things I want to throw it at.

DominoKid

cosmicblizzard said:

I'm on Ch 8 now. and i use auto-battle all the time.
the AI might do an attack here and there i dont want it to, it does what i want it to most of the time.
the only time i dont use auto-battle is if the lead character has a Medic role. i manually do medic stuff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom