• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
I just picked up the 360 version tonight.

Just wondering, is there a huge difference between the PS3 and 360 version? Visually speaking of course.

Thanks! :D

Visually yes but nothing that is game breaking or really terrible. I have heard that trying to install the second disc has ppl running into system errors for whatever reason.

Enjoy though! :D

Einbroch

Banned
Oh my God, the part where
the tiny chocobo chick is playing hide and seek
is too cute. I literally went "awwwww!" when I saw
him/her/it fly away
. I think it was partly the music, too.

Not really even a spoiler, but it is a part of the game.

Zoe

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

Just wondering, is there a huge difference between the PS3 and 360 version? Visually speaking of course.

Check the last few pages of the other thread.

Square Triangle said:
Visually yes but nothing that is game breaking or really terrible. I have heard that trying to install the second disc has ppl running into system errors for whatever reason.

Enjoy though! :D
What's this about faulty discs? What?!

Feep

Banned
Okay, that was annoying. I just got through the third eidolon battle, where the game (via Libra) CLEARLY says to both
increase chain bonus and strengthen your allies
. Doing either of these things fails miserably, and I finally won with 13 left on the counter just by
spamming thunder with both characters and healing when necessary
. SE, if you tell me to do something, you should LET ME DO IT.

Zoe

Feep said:
Okay, that was annoying. I just got through the third eidolon battle, where the game (via Libra) CLEARLY says to both
increase chain bonus and strengthen your allies
. Doing either of these things fails miserably, and I finally won with 13 left on the counter just by
Spamming lightning with both characters and healing when necessary
. SE, if you tell me to do something, you should LET ME DO IT.

Yeah...
I found that those strategies became pretty much pointless after Odin.
It's a real shame.

I have to say, the Gapra Whitewood was an amazing location. I kept just stopping to look around and take it all in every couple of minutes. It was just such a well designed area, and it made that chapter really enjoyable to play. I thought the music in that area was pretty good, too.

Hope is developing in an interesting way, and I'm finding that I really like his interactions with Lightning, although Lightning is the far better member of the pairing.

KuwabaraTheMan said:
I have to say, the Gapra Whitewood was an amazing location. I kept just stopping to look around and take it all in every couple of minutes. It was just such a well designed area, and it made that chapter really enjoyable to play. I thought the music in that area was pretty good, too.

Hope is developing in an interesting way, and I'm finding that I really like his interactions with Lightning, although Lightning is the far better member of the pairing.

Agree, Im up to here and stopped three or four times to soak in the view.

TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:

I have the 360 version, looks fine to me (have not played the PS3 version), I also am playing through the second disc now and had no problems installing it...no slowdown or tearing either. Seems like a good port...apart from the grainy FMVs.

PumpkinPie said:
I have the 360 version, looks fine to me (have not played the PS3 version), I also am playing through the second disc now and had no problems installing it...no slowdown or tearing either. Seems like a good port...apart from the grainy FMVs.
Thanks for the info.

So these rumors of faulty discs 2 & 3 when installing are false? So I have nothing to worry about?

Hope so.

-DarKaoZ-

Banned
TheFLYINGManga_Ka said:
Thanks for the info.

So these rumors of faulty discs 2 & 3 when installing are false? So I have nothing to worry about?

Hope so.

Most likely that is due to a faulty 360 or something, but for what I saw from my friends house (who has the 360 ver) the game run fine.

Yet, the PS3 ver does look way better IMO, is just crisper and you see more details, specially in cutscenes.

KuwabaraTheMan said:

I don't know why but I keep reading Gapra Whitewood as Gary Whittawood. Gaf is messing up my brain :lol

Styles

Jeels said:
So there's no clear cut strategy, it's just a long, boring fight? Gah.

Use smoke. Or set your character to rav/com until you've filled the stagger bar half way then switch to rav/rav to quicken the fill and stagger it. Continue doing that until you've killed it. If you have already done that then yeah, battles take forever in that chapter.

-DarKaoZ- said:
Most likely that is due to a faulty 360 or something, but for what I saw from my friends house (who has the 360 ver) the game run fine.

Yet, the PS3 ver does look way better IMO, is just crisper and you see more details, specially in cutscenes.
Thanks for the info.

Just one last question to anyone who knows:

I can live with less detail in the backgrounds but how about in-game character models between the 360 and PS3 versions? Are they almost the same (aside from cut scenes) or is the PS3 version better for them as well?

Jeels

Vect said:
Use smoke. Or set your character to rav/com until you've filled the stagger bar half way then switch to rav/rav to quicken the fill and stagger it. Continue doing that until you've killed it. If you have already done that then yeah, battles take forever in that chapter.

Is smoke an item or an ability? If it's an ability, who's crystanium do I get it from?

Does anyone know if a character downed during battle still gets CP? I had Hope go down right as I was taking out a boss and I was debating whether I should to give him a Phoenix Down or not.

Mandoric

Banned
DIrtyWeasel said:
Does anyone know if a character downed during battle still gets CP? I had Hope go down right as I was taking out a boss and I was debating whether I should to give him a Phoenix Down or not.

Alive: character gets CP
Dead: character gets CP
Not in party: character gets CP
Haven't even met yet: character still gets CP

jiien

So question about Chapter 11:

Okay, just got the mini-tutorial on Cie'th stones and I'm in this vast field, with the village of Oerba (sp?) as my next destination. So, can I go to the village without moving the plot forward enough that I won't be able to come back and do all of these hunts? I know people are saying that Chapter 11 is where everything opens up and doing these hunts is the main way to grind/upgrade. Do I have to stay in this field? Or can I move to my destination, and come back at will?

Volcynika

Cloudy said:
Vanille's VA has got to be the worse in the history of voice acting. How could this get past QA?

I don't think QA really cares about whether people like voice acting or not, I think they're more focused on bugs and the like :p

Zoe

jiien said:
So question about Chapter 11:

Okay, just got the mini-tutorial on Cie'th stones and I'm in this vast field, with the village of Oerba (sp?) as my next destination. So, can I go to the village without moving the plot forward enough that I won't be able to come back and do all of these hunts? I know people are saying that Chapter 11 is where everything opens up and doing these hunts is the main way to grind/upgrade. Do I have to stay in this field? Or can I move to my destination, and come back at will?

The village is still a long way from where you are. And you'll know when you've reached the point of no return.

Cloudy

Banned
Chamber said:
Just got shitstomped by the Chapter 6 boss. Seems like a good place to stop for the night.

Use poison (tideturner) first and stock up on potions cos its more efficient to heal that way till u take out one of them

Cloudy

Banned
Volcynika said:
I don't think QA really cares about whether people like voice acting or not, I think they're more focused on bugs and the like :p

Her voice-acting is as bad as a bug. Good grief, they could have got a chick off the street to do a better job...even with a FAKE Aussie accent :lol :lol

jiien

Zoe said:
The village is still a long way from where you are. And you'll know when you've reached the point of no return.

Oh okay, thanks. Sometimes the next destination is really close, so I wasn't sure what I should do first if I want to start doing all of these hunts.

Emenis said:
*repeat, since i was last on previous page*

Vidofnir?

Just checked, it's Scarletite.

Thx a lot, now I know what upgrade to buy. For those who played thourgh the game (spoiler to chapter 11)
pls tell me there's a lot do to after Oerba, just got there and I'm having a blast on Gran Pulse

Zoe

Castor Krieg said:
Thx a lot, now I know what upgrade to buy. For those who played thourgh the game (spoiler to chapter 11)
pls tell me there's a lot do to after Oerba, just got there and I'm having a blast on Gran Pulse

You're given a choice on whether to continue to the next chapter at the end of 11.

CloudV

Mmmm, finished FFXIII months ago, but now I'm knid of debating on picking up the US version just to see how everything worked out in English. I might have to keep an eye out for it tomorrow in Akiba, and may pick it up depending on price.

One question I have though, and I apologize if this was answered in the previous 50 pages, but did they remove the vocals for The Sunleth Waterscape (Ch 6 forest) or Cocoon de Chocobo (Ch 8 Nautilus) And what did they do for the insert song during
the sara and snow fireworks
scene?

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CloudV said:
Mmmm, finished FFXIII months ago, but now I'm knid of debating on picking up the US version just to see how everything worked out in English. I might have to keep an eye out for it tomorrow in Akiba, and may pick it up depending on price.

One question I have though, and I apologize if this was answered in the previous 50 pages, but did they remove the vocals for The Sunleth Waterscape (Ch 6 forest) or Cocoon de Chocobo (Ch 8 Nautilus) And what did they do for the insert song during
the sara and snow fireworks
scene?

Eternal Love replaced with Serah's theme.

Zzoram

Mandoric said:
Alive: character gets CP
Dead: character gets CP
Not in party: character gets CP
Haven't even met yet: character still gets CP

This is a good thing. I hate oldschool RPGs that make you grind up characters individually since only your active party gains XP.

Styles

Jeels said:
Is smoke an item or an ability? If it's an ability, who's crystanium do I get it from?

They're items, press L1 just before you start a battle a small menu will pop up. On the top will give you information on what each smoke's benefits are.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
CloudV said:
Kagari, thanks for the confirm, does that mean they removed the vocals for the other tracks?

Nope, I think they just localized Cocoon de Chocobo into full English though.

Holy crap. How did this game get anything less than 10 in graphics? I'm at frozen Lake Bresha and the detail is mind boggling. The way the light rays behave realistically when Lightning walks through them, I was like :O and spent 10 minutes fudging the camera with them. The colors, background detail like dust/ice particles, enemies realistically patrolling, Lightning's zipper/hair/clothes moving while she moves, etc. This game is magical.

Edit: Oh and fuck Edge for giving this 5/10.

Styles

RustyNails said:
Holy crap. How did this game get anything less than 10 in graphics? I'm at frozen Lake Bresha and the detail is mind boggling. The way the light rays behave realistically when Lightning walks through them, I was like :O and spent 10 minutes fudging the camera with them. The colors, background detail like dust/ice particles, enemies realistically patrolling, Lightning's zipper/hair/clothes moving while she moves, etc. This game is magical.

You've seen nothing yet.

Le-mo

RustyNails said:

Edge gave the game a 5? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

CloudV

have those two tracks on my ipod actually and realized the Sunleth Waterscape was already English. But they localized Cocoon de Chocobo, have to listen to it on youtube later then. Thanks!

Jeels

Le-mo said:
Edge gave the game a 5? :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

I can understand genuine concern and being disappointed about the game, but in no way shape or form is this a 5, objectively or subjectively speaking. Baiting for hits is what it is.

Also, loving vocals in the tracks.

inner-G

Banned
I can't believe how much better this game is than all the impressions and reviews made it out to be.

I had high hopes because kitase was on it, but goddamn, its awesome.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
What's with the weapon drops in this game? I just got another boomerang for Hope, but it literally has nothing. It loses the passive ability of his initial weapon AND has less strength? :lol

I have to be missing something.

Feep

Banned
Zzoram said:
This is a good thing. I hate oldschool RPGs that make you grind up characters individually since only your active party gains XP.
It wouldn't work any other way. FFXIII decides your party members for you, with no options, based on story events and circumstances. It would be ridiculous for one character to be overpowered because they get more facetime in the plot.

Dresden

Papercuts said:
What's with the weapon drops in this game? I just got another boomerang for Hope, but it literally has nothing. It loses the passive ability of his initial weapon AND has less strength? :lol

I have to be missing something.
If it's the one I'm thinking of, it probably gives +5 physical wall or something. Never used it, either.

RustyNails said:
Holy crap. How did this game get anything less than 10 in graphics? I'm at frozen Lake Bresha and the detail is mind boggling

maybe the reviewer didn't care for the immense amount of slowdown in that area?

but i agree, even with the slowdown, that it look amazing.

on chapter 3 i found a way to get enemies to respawn so i'll probably be stuck in this area for awhile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom