• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Final Fantasy XIII |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dresden

SHOTEH FOCK OP said:
Skipping cutscenes?
Took me 6.5 hours to get to chapter 5, and I explored every bit of the corridors. Never skipped cutscenes, either.

I'm kind of sad that I've had the game for three days and I've only been able to play this much on it. Screw life. :(

Zzoram said:
How do I repeat commands?

Just press right when you highlight Abilities and you'll get the Repeat option.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
whatdidyousay said:
Any tips? I'm stuck fighting Odin in Chapter 4. Getting killed over and over (and over) again.

I walked between the two save points before Odin to grind CP. I focused on getting HP nodes, and the second accessory slot. I used a lightning ring + some HP ring. Kept Hope on MED most of the time.

After saving, you can pause and hit select to go to the main menu. Then load your save and the enemies are back. It only takes PS3 about 20 seconds to do this. I'm betting a save to HDD 360 is just as quick.

is it normal that im about 1hr and a half in and I have NO fucking idea what is going on, or who anyone is or what they are doing? The dialogue and pacing are so...wierd and just "off". And gameplay wise all i've done is run through corridors and killed bad guys by seemingly just mashing the buttons. I know its super early but damn. It just feels like im not really doing anything.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Ninja Scooter said:
is it normal that im about 1hr and a half in and I have NO fucking idea what is going on, or who anyone is or what they are doing? The dialogue and pacing are so...wierd and just "off". And gameplay wise all i've done is run through corridors and killed bad guys by seemingly just mashing the buttons. I know its super early but damn. It just feels like im not really doing anything.

Yeah, the dialog at the beginning was a bit Engrish. "A mom's tough" doesn't sound English.

Read the back cover summary on the case. Maybe I missed it when I started, but I didn't understand what Cocoon and Pulse were, and that summary makes it pretty clear.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Dante369 said:
Chapter 11:
Hecatoncheir
is destroying me right now. How do I beat this guy?

Jam him.

tribal24 said:
btw does anyone know why snow has a diffrent jacket on during battle then cutscene shit looks ridiculous

His coat activates different patterns or something based on the armband accessory it has, giving him strength. Some sort of PSICOM developed technology.

teh_pwn said:
Yeah, the dialog at the beginning was a bit Engrish. "A mom's tough" doesn't sound English.

Read the back cover summary on the case. Maybe I missed it when I started, but I didn't understand what Cocoon and Pulse were, and that summary makes it pretty clear.

i rented it didn't even get the cover or the manuel. Oh well im sure i'll figure it out, it was just a very strange way to start out a game. Constantly switching characters, not really explaining shit, really boring battle segments (which reminds me, minor quirk, but why does it force me to keep using my abilities, like Break or Grenade on certain enemies. like if I use Break on a guy, then go back to a regular attack it'll still use Break on him? Is that right?)

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Ninja Scooter said:
i rented it didn't even get the cover or the manuel. Oh well im sure i'll figure it out, it was just a very strange way to start out a game. Constantly switching characters, not really explaining shit, really boring battle segments (which reminds me, minor quirk, but why does it force me to keep using my abilities, like Break or Grenade on certain enemies. like if I use Break on a guy, then go back to a regular attack it'll still use Break on him? Is that right?)

Use the Abilities menu instead of Auto-battle.

Cloudy

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:

For some reason, they decided to skip even a basic prologue and dump the player right into the universe. Gotta read the datalog to get the world backstory. So frikken lazy by Square Enix

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
this game keeps getting better.

chapter 7 has been awesome. long, but awesome.

the slow build up with the combat system has, arguably, paid off for me.

what a bizarre, interesting game.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Cloudy said:
For some reason, they decided to skip even a basic prologue and dump the player right into the universe. Gotta read the datalog to get the world backstory. So frikken lazy by Square Enix

Read the Episode Zero novel...

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Cloudy said:
that's called a rolling start, and its to keep things interesting right from square one.

you get heaps of info and backstory intelligently paced throughout the game.

structurally, it actually seems like a bit of a risk by Square standards, and I'm glad they did it. I don't need heaps of exposition, let me learn it slowly, else leave it ambiguous or to extended fiction.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Cloudy said:
I think Square doing "in media res" game openings is absolutely a step in the right direction. I fell in love with Square from games where you start out assaulting a town with Magitek armor, or begin during a terrorist bombing of a power plant... In recent years it seems like they went away from that, and now games start in the home town, they basically pile on tutorials, and the story starts off slow and it takes 3-5 hours to get to the first major conflict... No, what FFXIII has done is much preferred IMO.

Cloudy

Banned
structurally, it actually seems like a bit of a risk by Square standards, and I'm glad they did it. I don't need heaps of exposition, let me learn it slowly, else leave it ambiguous or to extended fiction.

Look, it's good to have the datalog in the game (another way this game reminds me of Xenosaga) but it shouldn't be REQUIRED reading in a story-based game. I've changed my mind and I now agree with Shouta on this critique...

Especially when you're throwing around similar sounding terms like l'cie and fal'cie all game. I wasn't completely clear about all that stuff till like chapter 4/5. That's retarded...

LiK

i didnt check the datalog at all until now. someone asked me what chapter i was on and i didn't even know how to find out until he told me it's from the datalogs :lol

read a lil, cleared some stuff up.

Jeels

Cloudy said:
Especially when you're throwing around similar sounding terms like l'cie and fal'cie all game. I wasn't completely clear about all that stuff till like chapter 4/5. That's retarded...

Really now, they pretty much make it clear by the beginning of chapter 3 what's going on.

Cloudy

Banned
Jeels said:
Really now, they pretty much make it clear by the beginning of chapter 3 what's going on.

Obviously you kinda get the gist of it but you shoudln't have to be doing in-game homework to understand WTF is going on. Some kind of narrated prologue would have been nice..

ps: Orion is still kicking my ass. I've tried everything from steelguard switching to timing my attacks when he's closer. WTF am I missing. I'm anxious to see the rest of this chapter cos shit just got REAL :eek:

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the in-world lingo is a bit of a toughie.

usually you'd get that info by talking to a random villager and reading through some typical text ('You DO know what a l'Cie is, don't you?' Yes/No), whereas here they, on the downside, are totally non-diegetic, but on the plus side, you can read that info quickly and simply at any time.

it's not an ideal situation, but the alternatives aren't that much better. but yes, there is definitely room for a more elegant delivery of that info.

by the end of chapter four, most of that info HAS been repeated enough, to be fair. a total understanding of everything as it's happening at the beginning of a story isn't totally necessary, I think. I guess it depends on your own taste.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Kagari said:
You took waaaaaaaaaaaaay too long on that one D: Chapter 11 boss is easy. Remember: Light/Hope/Vanille!
Did it easy as pie. Switched party from Light/Hope/Saszh to Light/Saszh/Vanille. Made it in 10 minutes :lol

LiK

Rez said:
the in-world lingo is a bit of a toughie.

usually you'd get that info by talking to a random villager and reading through some typical text ('You DO know what a l'Cie is, don't you?' Yes/No), whereas here they, on the downside, are totally non-diegetic, but on the plus side, you can read that info quickly and simply at any time.

it's not an ideal situation, but the alternatives aren't that much better. but yes, there is definitely room for a more elegant delivery of that info.

gotta give it up to S-E for always coming out with the most oddball choices for terms and names in their games.

cubanb

Banned
Tomorrow I am going to buy either Dragon age or final fantasy XIII.

Which one should I go for? Dragon is age only $5 cheaper used.

I need a good story or I lose interest. I mostly play sports games nowadays. I haven't really finished a game all the way since Knights of the Old Republic. I LOVED THAT GAME. I used to play some of the final fantasy games on the snes and liked them, but I can't remember if I enjoyed the story. I recently tried fallout 3 and the world felt a little too open to where I couldn't decide what to do next. I prefer combat systems that don't involve too much manual targeting like in fallout 3. Which is why I used to enjoy final fantasy's turn based and KOTORS round based combat.

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:
Look, it's good to have the datalog in the game (another way this game reminds me of Xenosaga) but it shouldn't be REQUIRED reading in a story-based game. I've changed my mind and I now agree with Shouta on this critique...

It was all in the datalog from the moment they first mentioned those terms. Perhaps Square shouldn't have done that in your opinion, but if you had taken advantage of their method of storytelling, you would have learned the info quite early on without the need to be fed a talky, expository cutscene.

IMO it's an RPG... not that every game should be like this, but putting backstory in a menu is a perfectly logical way to handle it, and it really frees the early cutscenes from being talky and unrealistic. Without the datalog, a lot of the dialogue would have played out like "It's one of the Fal'cie, who you should know, are the powerful beings who control every aspect of our lives". Putting the backstory into a "book" is much like real life: No one's going to tell you that Obama was elected president last year when they talk.. if you're in the dark its up to you to look up that fact. I know a story is a little different than life, but if one game tries to mimic that reality then it shouldn't be considered a failure of storytelling.

I don't think they should do every RPG storyline like this... but as one of those one-off experiments that they do in every FF, I think it's very interesting. Of course I'm lucky, I learned the important role of the datalog less than an hour into the game.

Dresden

cubanb said:

I need a good story or I lose interest. I mostly play sports games nowadays. I haven't really finished a game all the way since Knights of the Old Republic. I LOVED THAT GAME. I used to play some of the final fantasy games on the snes and liked them, but I can't remember if I enjoyed the story. I recently tried fallout 3 and the world felt a little too open to where I couldn't decide what to do next. I prefer combat systems that don't involve too much manual targeting like in fallout 3. Which is why I used to enjoy final fantasy's turn based and KOTORS round based combat.
Dragon Age didn't have an amazing story. It had amazing party members and dialogue, though.

I'd just get Final Fantasy for now, because DA is bound to go down in price more. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a GOTY for DA, as well, somewhere down the line.

LiK

cubanb said:

damn dude, don't make me decide. both are great in their own ways. story-wise DA is high fantasy at its best while FFXIII is pretty much anime-ish. played FFX? if you liked FFX, FFXIII is worth checking out.

Zzoram

cubanb said:

Dragon Age definitely has round based combat similar to KOTOR. Final Fantasy is also still turn based. I'm not really sure which game would be a better choice, it really depends on personal taste.

wonkafest

Usually when they talk about a Fal'cie it's the worst, because they usually only just say Fal'cie. It took me three hours into the game before cracking open the datalog and realizing that theres multiple Fal'cie, that do different things, and even play for different teams. Overall it's pretty sad that they left out a little exposition to make things seem smoother, when in reality you have to do some reading after a cutscene just to put some context on the conversation in relation to the game world.

I read through the Datalogs so I had absolutely no trouble following the story. However, if I hadn't read them I still think I would be able to follow along just fine. As a matter of fact, sometimes the dialogue seems a little redundant to me because the characters start explaining stuff that I already read in the Datalog 10 minutes earlier.

cubanb said:

Did you also pose this question in the Dragon Age thread? Or do you really just want us to say FFXIII and call it a day?

Cloudy

Banned
BocoDragon said:
I don't think they should do every RPG storyline like this... but as one of those one-off experiments that they do in every FF, I think it's very interesting. Of course I'm lucky, I learned the important role of the datalog less than an hour into the game.

I didn't realize how important it was till I started reading the 13 days info so you have a point. I REALLY hate the greyscale menu screen so I avoided it early on unless I had to build up characters :lol

If SE is gonna have us reading all the crap in-game, make a better menu >_<

Usually when they talk about a Fal'cie it's the worst, because they usually only just say Fal'cie. It took me three hours into the game before cracking open the datalog and realizing that theres multiple Fal'cie, that do different things, and even play for different teams. Overall it's pretty sad that they left out a little exposition to make things seem smoother, when in reality you have to do some reading after a cutscene just to put some context on the conversation in relation to the game world.

This is what I meant. It doesn't really make sense till you realize that :lol

LiK

Houston3000 said:
I read through the Datalogs so I had absolutely no trouble following the story. However, if I hadn't read them I still think I would be able to follow along just fine. As a matter of fact, sometimes the dialogue seems a little redundant to me because the characters start explaining stuff that I already read in the Datalog an hour earlier.

it was even more confusing for me during the first hour since i didn't have subs on either so i was sooo lost with La-see and Fall-see and Puss or whatever :lol

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:
I didn't realize how important it was till I started reading the 13 days info so you have a point. I REALLY hate the greyscale menu screen so I avoided it early on unless I had to build up characters :lol

If SE is gonna have us reading all the crap in-game, make a better menu >_<
I never thought the menu was ugly.. I thought it was high tech but classy. Oh well that's a really subjective point. :lol

Cloudy

Banned
Vanille said:
Oh, well in that case, just try and get close to Orion and keep spamming that spin attack. It's actually possible to finish the battle with Gestalt mode.

Thanks. I hadn't really learned Gestalt mode and just did auto and they don't pick that move till the end of the gauge :lol

BocoDragon

Cloudy said:
This is what I meant. It doesn't really make sense till you realize that :lol

I must have been up in that datalog... because I can't really conceive of any point in the game's storyline where I would have been confused if there were one or multiple Fal-Cie.. From the beginning I understood that the vestige contained one Pulse Fal'Cie, of which there are many, and then later, they introduce that Cocoon has their own Fal'cie... Read that datalog, kids! :lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom